2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
60 members (Beowulf, Barrett Bonden, cmb13, CYama, clothearednincompo, Bill McKaig,RPT, David B, 8 invisible), 548 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Recital 41 --- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital #2515916 02/29/16 11:07 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
57. UnderConstruction - Odeon Tango Brazilleiro
Since child that I'm use to listen Brazilian music, not only because I'm Portuguese but because my parents had all the records of the most important brasilian musicians, so brasilian music was always present at home. Latter, I had the opportunity to attend to some live shows here in Lisbon, so I had true contact with this rhythms, sounds and chords.
I know it's too difficult to play brasilian music on a piano - there are different/weird chords, different speeds, too many details -, so I'm amazed with what you did with this tango. Very very good! And thanks for recalling me those songs again. Congratulations! thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
AB Forum Recital #2515918 02/29/16 11:14 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
06. Newbert - The Ludlows - Legends of the Fall
It's too beautiful. I love original sound tracks (OST) and I never saw this movie too, but I can see why you had the trigger to play this piece. It's captivating, simple, sweet, full of images. I think you did a very sensitive job playing along the entire piece, which is the key in this one. Super record, too. Thanks for sharing!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2515922 02/29/16 11:25 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
09. Riddler (Ed) - Time Remembered
I'm used to listen some good stuff from you Ed, and this time you did it again. After reading your theoretical explanation about this song I was thinking that only a talented and experienced pianist could play this piece form a lead sheet. I mean, you have to put all your experience and skill to play like this. So, accept my congratulations while I'm going to listen this one more time. Wonderful job! thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2516013 02/29/16 03:50 PM
P
P
I need to return the favour to those of you who were kind enough to comment on my submission. By no means am I qualified to provide technical advice that would make sense. But I do enjoy everything I hear in these recitals.

21. barbaram - Alla Turca - Piano Sonata No 11 K331 3rd Movement
"it is what it is..." and it's fine. Good enough for ABF recital. We are all beginners here.

23. peterws - Schumann 15; 1 and 2
Fun we all have (I hope) otherwise, what's the point? I had a preference for the second one; the rythm I guess.

24. Piano_ Primo_1 - Praeambulum No.3 in d mi _ Deep River
Quite majestic. Interesting usage of your technical resources.

31. Sam S - Piano Sonata in F minor op2/1 1st movement
There may be some blunders here and there, if you say so. Personally, I can't tell. All I know is that I like it. And I appreciate the aditionnal infos;

made me check out who was Alberti. One more brick in my musical knowledge wall...

33. Ganddalf - Rondo a la Mazur, Op.5
This piece really showcases your 50 years anniversary. 18 months in the making, wow! Thanks.

48. outo - Barcarolle op 65-6
Don't ever let the "mess ups in the recording" keep you from submitting to ABF recital. We are human, not machines. I did enjoy this lovely piece.

49. Casinitaly - Largo - New World Symphony
Very nice. Obviously, a piece you own from long ago. Good control.

50. Forrest Halford - Mozart Sonata K576 3rd movement
Not bad for something above your "pay grade". But I'm self-thaught so I don't know anything about self-criticism ;-)

52. Alexander Borro - Underwood
Very pleasant, relaxing...

54. jotur/Cathy Turner - Misty
One should always read the additional info before making any comment. I would have loved the piece without it but, "listening in my head" in addition of the red dot makes it remarquable.

56. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in B minor, Op. 69 No. 2
So many apologies in advance, I was expecting the worse...You're too harsh with yourself; it was not that bad. Oh yeah, in the video, your right hand was out of sight most of the time.

Honorary member of the order of the flats
"Before Eating A Doughnut Get Coffee First"
�����������
CVP-407
AB Forum Recital #2516151 03/01/16 12:20 AM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
5. Peyton – A Play on Words – I definitely got the “play” part from this, but it reminded me more of a fountain bubbling up and spilling over the edge, or a waterfall maybe. I am always amazed by your compositions.

10. Monica K. – High Heels – This wasn’t what I would have expected given the title laugh But it was definitely Einaudi. I like the expressive way you phrase this, nice little pauses and a little rubato. Very well played.

20. khopin – Nocturne – lovingly played in the quieter parts, and nice contrasts for the more exuberant parts.

25. gingko2 - Djiekuje (Thank You) – Very nice. I was, again, surprised – don’t know what I was expecting but not this quiet lovely piece. You did it justice.

30. torquenale – Bagatelle – I always love your pieces. You are so musical, and play with gusto and much life.

35. Copper – I Surrender All – ah, an old Baptist invitational hymn. There’s a thread about the sound track of your life, and this would be on mine smile Those old melodies are the best, and you have a great touch for this music.

40. Cathryn999 – Schumann – Great first in 40 years recital! And what a story of the devastation. Maybe now instead of this piece reminding you of it, thinking of the cyclone will remind you of this piece smile

45. Zoot 64 – Minuet – Let’s hear it for the Casios! I really like mine, I just couldn’t get it to record at all this time (tho I connect it just as you say). This is a charming little Minuet and you played it quite pleasingly.

50. Forrest Halford – Sonata – It made me smile! I was tapping my foot all thru it, which means it was not only at a good lively steady pace, but the accents and phrasing were there, too. So I think you’ve done well with it. You’ll love coming back to it and discovering how much you’ve put in to it that’s still there.

55. carlos88 - La Puerta del Vino – This was terrific! I love the “attitude” and mood of it and you did it really well!

Thanks again to all of you who commented on my piece. I'm still not back up to snuff with recording, but I have a couple of possible solutions in the works.

But it should work just like it used to frown and it doesn't. Dang.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
outo #2516394 03/01/16 05:25 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by outo

Do I even know what I meant...?
Not program music surely, I very much dislike the idea. The word "flair" probably was not well chosen, but I don't know which word to use for what I mean, overall softness and the mood I associate with Barcarolles (think water and singing together and you may get my idea).

When it comes to pedalling, I still think more might be better in this case. Some pianos simply demand it. My piano has an extremely dry sound, so I often use the pedal throughout, but compensate by changing more often. I wouldn't have to do that on my teacher's grand. Also the pianos in Felix's time were quite different in their sustaining charachteristics, so the pedal markings he wrote may not necessarily work the way he intended for the instruments we have now. That's one tricky part of playing the piano, they are all so different...

But in the end you are right to listen to your teacher!

Thanks outo for the clarifications. I will be working a lot more on this piece, so all hints are useful.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2516395 03/01/16 05:28 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ElaineAllegro
The waves are rippling nicely – I can definitely hear that. It sounds like you have a very thorough and caring teacher, by the way – but also good that you take it on yourself to keep up the whole piece. Eventually, the gondolier might like a softer LH, less emphasis on the slurs (more subtle waves?), gently letting go of the second note in each slur, and let the RH melody shine through more – all much easier to say than to do! But I am convinced you will do it. Enjoy the journey!

Yes good points, my teacher made several of these. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Ganddalf
I like this piece very much, and I know that it is far from easy to play. I think you play the piece very well, and I didn’t notice any change after bar 10. Fine performance!

Thanks Ganddalf! I also don't hear much problems after measure 10 but that will probably change when I get there during the lessons blush

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2516731 03/02/16 03:31 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
It's taken me a while to find time to start listening. Here's my first 10:

01. earlofmar - Gnossienne No.4 The more I hear the Gnossiennes, the more I like them. This performance was really excellent. The control over the smooth left hand arpeggios with wonderfully phrased melodic lines for just fantastic. And, yes, the lazy tempo really suited it. Excellent opener.

02. Inlanding - Glen - Solfeggietto This sets off like a rocket! I've played this at about 1/4 tempo and it's tough like that. This is wonderful, you still bring nice phrasing and good balance of the hands at the speed.

03. wouter79 - Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6 Very nice, I feel the rocking at times. It has a great dynamic flow, good phrasing throughout. The tempo sounds perfect.

04. MarieJ - Writing Poems Beautiful performance, delicate but with enough depth to make it shine. Sometimes I like Einaudi, sometimes not so much. This was an "I like!"

05. Peyton - A Play on Words OK, if you say you can't play it quite so well, I believe it but don't hear it! This is a lovely composition, very atmospheric. There is a wonderful development through the piece. Great!

06. Newbert - The Ludlows - Legends of the Fall A nice piece (do I hear Amazing Grace in it). And you play it with great fluidity, with nice phrasing and careful dynamics. Beautiful!

07. AZ_Astro - Prelude in E Minor Opus 28 No 4 I love this prelude, you do it credit. The first half has the necessary stateliness; the second has the passion necessary. Very good!

08. SwissMS - Sonata in B flat , Op. 22 Minuet and Trio This is a wonderful performance of the third movement of Sonata, it's difficult to keep things together with the scale but you do that very well. And I liked your choice of tempo and dynamics. By the way, I absolutely love the first movement of this Sonata - any chance?!

09. Riddler (Ed) - Time Remembered You said a lot of what I wanted to say in your write up. In any case, this is a beautiful performance, you capture the strangeness in a great way; it really communicates very well. And a wonderful choice of dynamics and colors. Fantastic!

10. Monica K. - High Heels I really enjoyed this performance, another Einaudi that I actually like. My girlfriend wants me to learn some - we'll see! Anyway, you really found a great deal of space in the piece. Beautifully phrased, with great flowing passages and nice dynamics. Great.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2517040 03/03/16 10:56 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Trying to listen some more pieces:

18. Michiyo-Fir Jade - Nocturne in F minor Op. 55 No. 1
Jade, I don't know nothing about your experience as pianist but that's no matter at all when you can play like this. I'm a big fan of this Nocturnes, and I think you did a terrific job. Well done and thank you for sharing!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2517042 03/03/16 11:05 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
22. johan d - Minuet in G Major Ahn 114
I'm not a big fan of Bach so I'm usually not able to comment on his works. However I know this piece because it must be one of his most famous. What I usually listen in some (most?) of his works is a mix of speed, tons of notes, some reflective sessions, and the melody line changing from one hand to another. On the contrary, I think you did a clever move here slowing down the tempo a little bit. It works for me, so I've to congratulate you. Good job and keep the good work!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2517049 03/03/16 11:24 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
My second batch:

11. MeganR - Minuet In G BWV Anh 114 Yes, a classic beginners piece and you play it nicely. Both voices can be heard. It needs work on phrasing to shine but that comes with time.

12. JoBert - The Hobbit - Theme I love the story of how you came back to the piano. This is a nice performance; perhaps try to make the left hand a little quieter so it doesn't cover up. But that's a minor detail; it is a great performance - shaped very nicely with a good choice of dynamics. I really liked it.

13. Medden - Simon - Prelude Op 28 No 15 Everytime I hear this piece played well I realize I really need to learn it myself. This was a beautiful performance, you got the repetition down nicely, good tempo and dynamics. I liked it!

14. briangmoore - Chopin, Prelude 6 I think this piece is a lot tougher than it seems. Your performance is fine, but as you said, a little rushed. But there was plenty to enjoy in it. The repetition part (funny how this follows the 15th prelude with a similar feel) was nicely done, perhaps the rest of the melody needs to sing more?

15. BrianDX - Canon I can tell there is a teeny bit of clipping which means the gain was set too high which is why the quiet sections seem louder to you. Anyway, I enjoyed the canon, you can hear the voices moving in and out and it has a stateliness without being boring.

16. Cat_W (Katharina Wittfeld) - Snow White's Dream (Schneewittchens Traum) This is a nice piece and you play it well. In particular I thought the dynamics were very well done with nice phrasing and good balance between the hands.

17. Anne H - Prelude No 4, Opus 23 As you point out this is a little slow. The best way of overcoming the recording nerves is do it all the time. At least that way you'll also see if you really are playing as well as you think! Anyway, there was a lot to enjoy in this performance, nicely phrased, it moved well considering the tempo and there was a good dynamic range.

18. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Nocturne in F minor Op. 55 No. 1 This is a lovely performance of this nocturne. You give it a wonderful sense of space. The trills could improve but they are one of the things I find hard too! You shape the piece well with a good range of dynamics and tempo. I really liked it!

19. PikaPianist - March (Song of the Lark), The Seasons Op.37 A beautiful performance of this month in the seasons. You do keep that tinge of melancholy but it is also bright and cheerful in spots. Very well balanced, nice phrasing, good dynamics. Very enjoyable.

20. khopin - Nocturne in D flat major Op 27 No 2 This is a totally beautiful version of this nocturne. Very well controlled, very delicate but with a good peaks when necessary. Some of the thirds could be cleaned up a teeny bit (difficult for me too) but, overall, excellent!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #2517053 03/03/16 11:28 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
34. Mohan Karthik - Hallelujah
I have this piece in my to-do list, so I was waiting for this one. I like the theme - simple but captivating - and it's beautiful when played on a piano. I liked your version but something sounds wrong at ~01m:00 and ~02m:23- sorry, can be only my ears... I've to check the score later -. Anyway, you kept the rhythm along the entire piece, you have created the right atmosphere and you were able to put your piano singing - something hard to do IMO! -. I want to play this too and you're giving me some ideas. Your piano sounds great, very good record. Thanks for sharing!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2517062 03/03/16 11:46 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
46. blackjack1777 - Days of Wine and Roses
Wow, 17 months and you're doing this? I loved the way you control all the piece - you know what you're doing -. I can't see any "rush" doing the sessions or any hesitation - which is remarkable -, so I bet you worked hard to be able to do this. Very very good and keep the good work! Congratulations.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2517069 03/03/16 11:57 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
51. Mike White - Chella mi creda
I think I never heard this piece before - Puccini is not too played here at ABF -, but I can enjoy your technique. It seams hard to play but you were able to control this piece. Liked the beginning of the session at ~01:12. Nice sound. Thanks for sharing!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2517071 03/03/16 12:04 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
56. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in B minor, Op. 69 No. 2
No way, I will listen till the end. It's Chopin and this is really nice. Amazing how you can play Chopin at the end of 2.5y and you started with a long piece! You are brave, and congratulations for start playing Chopin. Keep the good work. Lovely! thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2517248 03/03/16 11:43 PM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
More wonderful people to thank!

Inlanding, Cat_W, jotur, Ganddalf and Andy Platt - I haven’t yet told you just how much your kind, positive comments mean. I’ve squirrelled them all carefully away so that I can unwrap them and rekindle motivation whenever it starts to flag.

Maybe this is THE best thing I’ve learned on Piano World - have a go, participate in Recitals even if you don’t think you’re ready, and share the highs and lows of being Adult Beginners 2hearts .

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LVIII

My C3 - solace. And joy.
AB Forum Recital #2517377 03/04/16 11:42 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
12. JoBert - The Hobbit - Theme
JoBert, first of all, congratulations for your decision about returning to piano. And congratulations for your 1st participation here. thumb
I like OST themes, and this one is really great. Having two teenagers at home I can recognize this themes very well. Loved the bass notes arrangement and the quick variations of the themes. Your playing is very good, so Welcome Back! Thanks for sharing!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2517380 03/04/16 11:48 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
28. Meelays Kennedy - Fall
Well, don't know how to comment this... Storms, lots of storms and strong wind... Anyway, this is your 1st recital right? Welcome!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2517381 03/04/16 11:53 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
32. tjbron - Venetianisches Gondellied, Op. 19 no.6
I think this is a piece I haven't heard before. It has some "strong" sessions and you showed a great control along the entire piece. Congratulations for your 1st ABF recital, and I'm looking forward to listen more from you! Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
AB Forum Recital #2517383 03/04/16 11:59 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
37. Jen Weir - Missing
What a great way to start your participation here! I like this arrangement of this song, and you managed to play it with confidence, with right pauses and always underlining the melody in the right way. Good LH work. Keep the good work!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio CDP-S350 / 150 now available in USA
by PianoManChuck - 07/12/20 11:46 AM
Brodmann vs Boston vs Yamaha?
by sdag - 07/12/20 10:12 AM
Warning for second hand sellers
by KevinM - 07/12/20 09:36 AM
Key weight setting
by CajunJ - 07/12/20 09:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,219
Posts2,979,867
Members97,750
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission