2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
My 1948 Conover Cable console is missing its fallboard knobs. The previous owner's children pulled them off years ago and they're MIA.

Can someone please recommend an online resource for vintage brass piano hardware? I wouldn't know how to determine which ones were on this piano, so I'd like to have some nice tarnished options to choose from that were reclaimed from other pianos.

I've tried eBay and I've tried my hand at Google searches, but I'm only seeing more contemporary options.

Thank you.

C
OP Offline
C
This is pretty much all I'm seeing:

http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Knobs-S...YE9W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

They're 1/2" wide and tall and were made for pianos. I can age solid brass, but the style seems too modern. I'm unfamiliar with pianos of any age and wouldn't know what might have been on a 1940s piano.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I would cast a wider net by searching for brass drawer knobs without the word "piano" in it.

Google image search - Brass Drawer Knobs

Maybe there'll be something you see there that is less modern looking.

C
OP Offline
C
What size are piano knobs usually?

I'm not finding images of pianos and their knobs.

(Why does the word knob always make me laugh?)

Ahh, I just stepped away from writing this and tried a different search and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rxLclWF1eo

C
OP Offline
C
Music desk or piano desk seems to be the more common search term for finding knobs.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MooseNotes
What size are piano knobs usually?

I'm not finding images of pianos and their knobs.

(Why does the word knob always make me laugh?)

It could have been worse - I could have suggested you visit a good old-fashioned knobs & knockers shop. wink

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ando
I would cast a wider net by searching for brass drawer knobs without the word "piano" in it.

+1

Check out garage sales, architectural salvage places, etc. Habitat for Humanity has a chain of stores where they sell off donated stuff and salvaged stuff. I've got a box of old drawer and cabinet knobs somewhere, but most IIRC are larger than what you want.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
C
OP Offline
C
Ha, that would have been awesome. Next time, let her rip. :o))

C
OP Offline
C
I'm finding that most brass knobs (man, I'm so immature!) are at least 1" wide and tall, which is too big, so my options are limited.

And if I buy new, most brass seems to be lacquered. I'd have to sand through it to age the brass. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer no finish.

I'd love it if someone reading this who owns an upright, regardless of the age, would please measure their knobs (oh, boy) so I have a point of reference.

B
B
Try Stevespianoservice.com. knob and rubber nail graphic ordering page. They also have a lot of other hardware and pedal parts. I intend to use them for some worn and replacement knobs on my 1904 Mason Hamlin upright. I have ordered from them and everything has been decent quality. Ace hardware has some things but like you said problem is sizes and finish ....Talk to your tech. too.
Beth Harris

Last edited by BethRH; 03/02/16 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling error
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm finding that most brass knobs (man, I'm so immature!) are at least 1" wide and tall, which is too big, so my options are limited.

And if I buy new, most brass seems to be lacquered. I'd have to sand through it to age the brass. Not a big deal, but I'd prefer no finish.

I'd love it if someone reading this who owns an upright, regardless of the age, would please measure their knobs (oh, boy) so I have a point of reference.

I've had a few older uprights (okay, maybe more than a few) and I know exactly what you are talking about. A few of those pianos would have one brass knob missing from the fall-board, or both missing. Finding a close match was a challenge.

Depending on how serious you are about restoring, or just fixing-up, you can buy a pair of small brass cabinet door or drawer knobs that would suffice (as has been mentioned already). I've done that before...

You are right, those old brass knobs are hard to come by, regardless of size. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
You might look here .

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Forgive my ignorance here, but I am unfamiliar with this. Why does a fallboard have brass knobs? Where are they located?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I would not worry about finding something "period" or original or specific to piano, just attractive and size appropriate. We often salvage casters and some hardware pieces from old uprights that are no longer serviceable. We sift through boxes of parts when we need something. We're probably not the only piano repair shop to do so....

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
B
BDB Offline
B
Some of them had brass knobs, some wood. They are there so you can grab the fallboard and open or close it.

Semipro Tech
C
OP Offline
C
At this point in my search, I agree. Something attractive, period not really necessary.

Do have any old brass knobs for sale in your restoration shop?

At this point in my search, I agree. Something attractive, period not really necessary.

Do have any old brass knobs for sale in your restoration shop?

MooseNotes, I scrambled around my piano shop and found two old brass knobs that I'll give you if you want them. They are probably older than your Conover Cable piano. smile

Not sure the internal threads are correct, but maybe you can find the right metal screw that will fit.

Send me a PM with an address to mail them to and they are yours, shipping included.

Rick

P.S. the date on the digital pics is not correct; I took the pics this evening, and didn't feel like setting the date on my digital camera. smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
OP Offline
C
They're adorable. I love your old knobs, Rick!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

(And I swear I'm not trying to be weird with that comment.)

PM is on its way as soon as I send this puppy. :o))

C
OP Offline
C
tend to rush, great resource. I'm bookmarking it for future reference for some house projects we need to tackle. Thanks.

B
BDB Offline
B
I do not think those are fallboard knobs. They look like they are for action bolts. Fallboard knobs would take screws that are about 1/8" diameter, standard hardware size. Action bolt threads are much thicker.

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission