2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 62 of 95 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 94 95
C
C
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Originally Posted by Hendrik42
If 10% of the keys, i.e. nine, make a significant different sound than the others, I would consider this a quality issue.

In fact, I had an issue with 5% of my CN35 keys and contacted Kawai. They sent a technician who fixed it: it was about adding lube to the right point in the action.

That's what I think as well, I'd like to know what Roland owners think about this as well though.

I've not noticed any unwanted sound from the keys on my HP605.

HP605
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by yb
Originally Posted by Statue

Given the above I'm not sure if I'm missing your concern or not

Probably, but neither of us are going to gain anything by another long post.

It's moot anyway now. I spent a long time looking at Roland's products and their guy just sighed so I went somewhere else smile

I regret you felt like you had to go somewhere else.

I sighed because your point, although fervently made, is not a new one. It has been addressed several times in the course of this thread. By myself and others.

Jay

Industry Consultant
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by CPShines
Originally Posted by Hendrik42
If 10% of the keys, i.e. nine, make a significant different sound than the others, I would consider this a quality issue.

In fact, I had an issue with 5% of my CN35 keys and contacted Kawai. They sent a technician who fixed it: it was about adding lube to the right point in the action.

That's what I think as well, I'd like to know what Roland owners think about this as well though.

OK, thank you for the info, someone else?

Roland LX708
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
A yamaha-guy recently took a swing at me, so I went somewhere else.
Turns out, I also managed to annoy that other (kawai) guy.
I'm now left with a few piano-guys to try; if they sigh, or worse, take a swing at me, I will have no choice but to go back to the yamaha-guy!

D
D
Originally Posted by yb
Originally Posted by mcoll
He may be right in many ways, but he is still missing the point. They are home pianos. Not a v-piano for artists, professional.
You want to keep it simple with them. Just being a great piano is the goal here, not ultimate customization.
Sure, there are some users which would like those options (and I believe the people of the forum don't very well represent the general population), but for most people, more options would just be confusing and would complicate things in an unwanted manner.
You should keep this in mind.

But this, to me, is why it's so illogical.

If I'm going to buy these because I'm actually googling for "physical modelling" and I care about changing these parameters then I'm out of luck. If the message is, as you seem to be implying "these pianos are dumbed down for Roland's customers" then fine - I think that's just insulting their customers though because, as I said, if someone buys a real acoustic piano and they want, say, a mellower sound, they get a piano tuner to come and he or she physically changes their piano. Roland, you're suggesting, would sell this customer a tambourine to avoid them having to make a decision about hammers laugh

I think a pianist who has played a real piano would relate perfectly to many of the parameters you can change in a physically modelled virtual piano.

It's like an arcade racing game might have a slider that says "oversteer" at one end and "understeer" at the other. A better simulation with a physical model would talk about tyre material, tyre pressure, suspension yadda yadda yadda - the end result of changing these parameters would be a car that tended towards oversteer or understeer. But trying to say "Well, car drivers don't really understand these things" is not really true. Most car drivers know what tyres are.

You could argue that it's simpler to move a slider, but I would argue that's just at the expense of actually being able to use the physical model.

The other point I tried to make is , if I'm this supposed naive customer who doesn't care how the sound is made or who doesn't want to sit and change parameters, well, then why only configure 4 piano sounds for me?

Surely one of the main aspects of a physically modelled virtual piano is the ability to sound like myriad different pianos? So why doesn't it? You know, for guitar players they are doing this kind of thing now, and they model amps and a couple of companies are trying to model guitars. So you get a box and it's trying to sound like Marshall, Fender or mesa boogie amps etc and a guitar with some kind of digital interface to sound like les paul and fender and a banjo and an acoustic guitar, 12 string, and also to let you change the tuning to drop D or whatever without having to actually tune the guitar.

How well do they do? Well, it's early days. They sort of sound a bit like a les paul, in the same way that some of the physical modelled pianos sort of sound a bit like a Steinway D. There might be something a tad artificial about them. Getting an electric guitar to sound like an acoustic or a banjo is a stretch. But you can see where they are going and why - and you can also see why a guitar player might think "This is great technology" - not because he has a degree in physics or comp sci - but because you put a box and guitar in his room that makes a passable attempt at imitating tens of thousands of pounds of real guitars and amps.

My question is, if these pianos are physically modelled then why don't they act like it?

Saying "it's because our customers don't care" seems flawed. They'll care about something that physical modelling can offer them otherwise, if they don't then physical modelling is an expensive waste of time researching and developing.

They don't appear to be trying to sell the piano to me, nor to this hypothetical customer who just looks at the spec sheet on digital pianos. I gave one example where for every other model of sample-based Roland piano from FP30 upwards, the more you pay, the more piano sounds (and other sounds) the piano has. Perhaps there are some other changes too like a more expensive action or bigger speakers, more polyphony and so on, but watch any video of a roland employee on youtube doing a demo and they are going through the different sounds. More is always better right in the eyes of this naive consumer. That's why the F130r is now the F140r. Or the LX15 is the LX17.

When the guy from Roland just sighs at you when when you tell him "I can't see the point in spending the money on this product" I suppose I have my answer.

The V-Piano and V-Piano Grand have not been discontinued. You should demo one of those.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
Originally Posted by yb
He may be right in many ways, but he is still missing the point. They are home pianos. Not a v-piano for artists, professional.
You want to keep it simple with them. Just being a great piano is the goal here, not ultimate customization.
Sure, there are some users which would like those options (and I believe the people of the forum don't very well represent the general population), but for most people, more options would just be confusing and would complicate things in an unwanted manner.

If I'm going to buy these because I'm actually googling for "physical modelling" and I care about changing these parameters then I'm out of luck. If the message is, as you seem to be implying "these pianos are dumbed down for Roland's customers" then fine - I think that's just insulting their customers though because, as I said, if someone buys a real acoustic piano and they want, say, a mellower sound, they get a piano tuner to come and he or she physically changes their piano. Roland, you're suggesting, would sell this customer a tambourine to avoid them having to make a decision about hammers laugh

I think a pianist who has played a real piano would relate perfectly to many of the parameters you can change in a physically modelled virtual piano.

It's like an arcade racing game might have a slider that says "oversteer" at one end and "understeer" at the other. A better simulation with a physical model would talk about tyre material, tyre pressure, suspension yadda yadda yadda - the end result of changing these parameters would be a car that tended towards oversteer or understeer. But trying to say "Well, car drivers don't really understand these things" is not really true. Most car drivers know what tyres are.

You could argue that it's simpler to move a slider, but I would argue that's just at the expense of actually being able to use the physical model.

The other point I tried to make is , if I'm this supposed naive customer who doesn't care how the sound is made or who doesn't want to sit and change parameters, well, then why only configure 4 piano sounds for me?

Surely one of the main aspects of a physically modelled virtual piano is the ability to sound like myriad different pianos? So why doesn't it? You know, for guitar players they are doing this kind of thing now, and they model amps and a couple of companies are trying to model guitars. So you get a box and it's trying to sound like Marshall, Fender or mesa boogie amps etc and a guitar with some kind of digital interface to sound like les paul and fender and a banjo and an acoustic guitar, 12 string, and also to let you change the tuning to drop D or whatever without having to actually tune the guitar.

How well do they do? Well, it's early days. They sort of sound a bit like a les paul, in the same way that some of the physical modelled pianos sort of sound a bit like a Steinway D. There might be something a tad artificial about them. Getting an electric guitar to sound like an acoustic or a banjo is a stretch. But you can see where they are going and why - and you can also see why a guitar player might think "This is great technology" - not because he has a degree in physics or comp sci - but because you put a box and guitar in his room that makes a passable attempt at imitating tens of thousands of pounds of real guitars and amps.

My question is, if these pianos are physically modelled then why don't they act like it?

Saying "it's because our customers don't care" seems flawed. They'll care about something that physical modelling can offer them otherwise, if they don't then physical modelling is an expensive waste of time researching and developing.

They don't appear to be trying to sell the piano to me, nor to this hypothetical customer who just looks at the spec sheet on digital pianos. I gave one example where for every other model of sample-based Roland piano from FP30 upwards, the more you pay, the more piano sounds (and other sounds) the piano has. Perhaps there are some other changes too like a more expensive action or bigger speakers, more polyphony and so on, but watch any video of a roland employee on youtube doing a demo and they are going through the different sounds. More is always better right in the eyes of this naive consumer. That's why the F130r is now the F140r. Or the LX15 is the LX17.

When the guy from Roland just sighs at you when when you tell him "I can't see the point in spending the money on this product" I suppose I have my answer.

The V-Piano and V-Piano Grand have not been discontinued. You should demo one of those.

Probably time for an update though. You'd think the V-piano could benefit from the latest PHA50 action at the very least.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by yb

Probably time for an update though. You'd think the V-piano could benefit from the latest PHA50 action at the very least.

I have no problem with the PHA-III flavor keybed on my V-Grand. It works well, doesn't seem to have any issues, and has been field proven for several years of hard use as Jay mentioned about Roland pianos with that keybed in the schools across Canada and some here with V-Pianos have commented about.

It may well be that you are correct in that these newer keybeds would be an improvement. However, I find no fault with mine as it currently is.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by yb

The Roland pianos are more customizable than any other home DP of the major makers. None of the others allow for individual key tuning and voicing for all 88 keys. With the other makers, if you want to adjust the sound, you do so for all 88 notes simultaneously. Roland lets you do this for individual notes. And the point of a modeled piano is the behavavipr of piano's sound and not just the ability to customize. I agree, there is a lot of room to customize on the new Rolands.

As to all this talk about key noise, I experience no problems with noise whatsoever. The keys are quieter than other DP's I've tried. The new keybed is improved.

Last edited by Grandman; 02/28/16 05:13 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Grandman
Originally Posted by yb

The Roland pianos are more customizable than any other home DP of the major makers. None of the others allow for individual key tuning and voicing for all 88 keys. With the other makers, if you want to adjust the sound, you do so for all 88 notes simultaneously. Roland lets you do this for individual notes. And the point of a modeled piano is the behavavipr of piano's sound and not just the ability to customize. I agree, there is a lot of room to customize on the new Rolands.

As to all this talk about key noise, I experience no problems with noise whatsoever. The keys are quieter than other DP's I've tried. The new keybed is improved.

That's partially incorrect. Certainly the top end Kawai have individual note voicing for each of the 88 notes. See the CA67/97 user manual for example. Maybe other stage models have individual note tuning?

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by yb

That's partially incorrect. Certainly the top end Kawai have individual note voicing for each of the 88 notes. See the CA67/97 user manual for example. Maybe other stage models have individual note tuning?

My understanding is that the kawai ca series allow voicing of all 88 notes, but done simultaneously. I could be wrong, but I recall that if you choose to make the sound more mellow, you must do so for all 88 notes. The Rolands allow for changes in tonal character of each note individually. Like I said, I could be wrong, but that is what I recall.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Grandman, as spanishbuddha notes, the latest CA97/CA67 instruments do allow individual 88-key user voicing, along with 88-key tuning and volume adjustments.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by TonyB
Originally Posted by yb

I have no problem with the PHA-III flavor keybed on my V-Grand. It works well, doesn't seem to have any issues, and has been field proven for several years of hard use as Jay mentioned about Roland pianos with that keybed in the schools across Canada and some here with V-Pianos have commented about.

It may well be that you are correct in that these newer keybeds would be an improvement. However, I find no fault with mine as it currently is.

Tony

I wasn't implying there is any problem with the PHA-III action, Tony. It certainly served Roland very well for many years. I was just thinking that Roland's flagship piano deserves its flagship action. I don't know if you've played the PHA-50 action yet, but it's really excellent - certainly a notch or two above the PHA-III and IV, in my opinion. Not worth getting too worked up about if you already own the V-grand though.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TonyB
Originally Posted by yb

Tony

I wasn't implying there is any problem with the PHA-III action, Tony. It certainly served Roland very well for many years. I was just thinking that Roland's flagship piano deserves its flagship action. I don't know if you've played the PHA-50 action yet, but it's really excellent - certainly a notch or two above the PHA-III and IV, in my opinion. Not worth getting too worked up about if you already own the V-grand though.

I did not take your comment that way. It is normal to want the latest and greatest of any technology. My point was simply that the PHA-III is still a good, solid keybed. To me, the big thing was going to the triple-sensor, so pre PHA-III might be worth jumping from and into a newer keybed. Anyone considering a V-Piano/Grand could still be perfectly happy with its keybed.

I do think that I tend to get used to a keybed and then other/newer keybeds will feel different until I get used to them. Some people are probably more picky about such things, but for me, they all feel decent (Yamaha, Kawai, Roland, and Casio). I played a Korg Kronos this weekend and did not really like that keybed as much.

I don't know what Roland's plans are regarding the V-Piano/Grand, whether they will come up with a new version of either, or whether they feel that these stand apart from the constant churn of the consumer lines of DP. I would (like you) think that if they do come up with a "next" version of either, they will use whatever keybed is current in their product lifecycle. I do think these particular models of DP are good enough and expensive enough to be treated like decent acoustic pianos in that owners probably won't flip them as frequently as people might with the consumer line. I could see someone jumping from whatever came before the LX-17 to the LX-17 (but from what I saw of the LX-17, I would want to hang on to that even if something newer comes along later), but I would not be considering flipping my V-Grand if a newer model comes out.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
C
C
Originally Posted by CPShines

OK, thank you for the info, someone else?

I've bought LX-7. I practice with and without headphones. I practice scales everyday in each key, including chromatic scales, legato, staccato, piano, forte etc. Either I am very lucky or not sensitive to any unevenness. Therefore, I haven't reported any problem with keys. I think the keys are the absolutely best part of these pianos. But this is only my humble personal opinion. I can add that If I have to reduce volume to minimum (aeround 10-20 etc.), then I can clearly hear keys. Even then, I still accept the sound. Probably I realise that when you play on real grand pianos, you can also hear some extra sound, such as dumpers moving away from keys when using a sustain pedal.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Celdor

I've bought LX-7. I practice with and without headphones. I practice scales everyday in each key, including chromatic scales, legato, staccato, piano, forte etc. Either I am very lucky or not sensitive to any unevenness. Therefore, I haven't reported any problem with keys. I think the keys are the absolutely best part of these pianos. But this is only my humble personal opinion. I can add that If I have to reduce volume to minimum (aeround 10-20 etc.), then I can clearly hear keys. Even then, I still accept the sound. Probably I realise that when you play on real grand pianos, you can also hear some extra sound, such as dumpers moving away from keys when using a sustain pedal.

Yea, you can hear on my video that there is this normal sound and abnormal sound. Normal sound is absolutely OK, with it this is truly one of the quietest keyboards. Problem is with those few keys. And on grand piano you can hear something about those normal noise levels in PH-50 and that would be cool enough.

Roland LX708
S
S
For what it's worth Nordomus, I don't detect a too notable difference in the key sound on my hp605. I say 'too notable' because I can hear differences. There's definitely a difference between all the black keys and all the white keys for example. That's to be expected though. Physics.

But less expected, I can hear a very slight difference on 3 specific keys, middle C and the G and E below middle C. Very slight, but definitely there, and definitely a qualitative difference (different sound as opposed to difference level of noise). It's not discernable when playing, only when off and doing a test. It's not enough of a difference to be a concern to me at the moment.

Last edited by Statue; 02/29/16 09:12 AM.
D
D
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by yb

My understanding is that the kawai ca series allow voicing of all 88 notes, but done simultaneously. I could be wrong, but I recall that if you choose to make the sound more mellow, you must do so for all 88 notes. The Rolands allow for changes in tonal character of each note individually. Like I said, I could be wrong, but that is what I recall.

I'm still missing YB's point - while my HP605 is on order, having demo'ed it and done a fair amount of research, it seems like you can fine tune many, many parameters potentially on each note, save the preferences, and essentially create new pianos (if you wanted to imitate a Yamaha, Shigeru, or what-have-you, you'd require a source for comparison purposes, of course). So unless the concern is that Roland doesn't provide more pre-configured piano sounds modeled after other famous accoustics, I'm unclear why YB feels Roland has fallen short of realizing the full potential of physical modeling...? No disrespect at all intended, just unclear as to the actual concern - whether it's legitimate, or simply a misunderstanding of how the new Rolands work. Once my HP605 arrives, I'll confirm my understanding, though, and update this post.

Last edited by Daryl D; 02/29/16 12:56 PM.
C
C
What do you think about sound of the new Roland HP6.. models compare to previous HP5..?
Do you think that sound has improved a lot?

I can say for sure I don't like HP504. That was the first digital piano I played in my life and when I touched the keys for the first time and heard the sound, I called the sails person and said that something is wrong with this piano, broken or something laugh After he tested it he said that everything is normal, I got sad and moved to Yamaha… But I didn't like sustain pedal on Yamaha, still don't like.

If some of you here say that HP603 is kind of improved version of HP504 I want to believe the sound system on 603 is better and more authentic…? Do you really feel big difference?
I didn't have a chance to compare the new models with the old ones since they had only the new ones at the store.

Originally Posted by Composergirl
What do you think about sound of the new Roland HP6.. models compare to previous HP5..?
Do you think that sound has improved a lot?

I can say for sure I don't like HP504. That was the first digital piano I played in my life and when I touched the keys for the first time and heard the sound, I called the sails person and said that something is wrong with this piano, broken or something laugh After he tested it he said that everything is normal, I got sad and moved to Yamaha… But I didn't like sustain pedal on Yamaha, still don't like.

If some of you here say that HP603 is kind of improved version of HP504 I want to believe the sound system on 603 is better and more authentic…? Do you really feel big difference?
I didn't have a chance to compare the new models with the old ones since they had only the new ones at the store.

You were lucky! I tried the 504 after the LX17. They were next to each other . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
C
Yea, you can hear on my video that there is this normal sound and abnormal sound.

Can you give a link to your video? Thanks.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
Page 62 of 95 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission