Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
106 registered members (Álvaro, anotherscott, ando, beeboss, 36251, aphexdisklavier, akc42, 28 invisible), 7,625 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2511546
02/16/16 11:59 PM
02/16/16 11:59 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by CoyoteWoods
Cynthia, I'll PM you about moving tips. We're doing it ourselves and are looking for a flatbed, ramp and a strong neighbor. We think we've got it figured out (the equipment), but it's taking longer than I had hoped to pull it together.

Who knew Walmart carries a book like that? I'll look for a used copy online somewhere and buy one. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I pulled the cabinet panel off near the keyboard and could see the action. The hammers and doohickies (I'm still learning the terminology) were all right there, at key level ... I think. I honestly didn't think to question this when I was there. I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

Carla

Used copy of the Reblitz book for $7.33... free shipping
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=reblitz&kn=piano&sts=t

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2511771
02/17/16 02:13 PM
02/17/16 02:13 PM
AZ, USA
Tuneless Offline
Tuneless  Offline

AZ, USA
I'd recommend paying a little more for one that is in 'Good' condition rather than in 'Fair' condition. Writing inside the book can be pretty annoying. But used is great.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2511865
02/17/16 05:56 PM
02/17/16 05:56 PM
C
Coyotewoods Offline OP
Coyotewoods  Offline OP
C

Hi folks,

I've changed my name from CoyoteWoods to MooseNotes. I have a long history with moose!!

So the piano is coming home this weekend, pending an inspection of the soundboard. Would you say a cracked pinboard could be a deal breaker, too, considering the replacement/repair costs?

Carla

Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2511876
02/17/16 06:14 PM
02/17/16 06:14 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
A cracked pin block is not something one can easily diagnose, but if some individual notes are much worse out of tune than others, that is a danger sign. A cracked soundboard can be seen, but rarely heard, so it is not worth worrying about.

Semipro Tech
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: BDB] #2511891
02/17/16 07:02 PM
02/17/16 07:02 PM
C
Coyotewoods Offline OP
Coyotewoods  Offline OP
C

Thanks for chiming in, BDB.

So to clarify, a cracked soundboard really isn't something I should worry about, because it doesn't affect the sound? I've read it's a big deal to replace the soundboard, but maybe some folks replace it as a part of a complete rebuild and for resale. Would you agree?

And a pinboard could have cracks, but they would need to be diagnosed by a technician. This isn't something I'd be likely to detect on my own, right? Should I consider a cracked pinboard a deal breaker, it's that signficiant?

Thanks!!

Last edited by MooseNotes; 02/17/16 07:03 PM.
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Rickster] #2511903
02/17/16 07:48 PM
02/17/16 07:48 PM
C
Coyotewoods Offline OP
Coyotewoods  Offline OP
C

Rick, I made pizza while listening to this video of yours and shared the link with my family. They all loved it, too. What fun!!! :o)

Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2511918
02/17/16 08:37 PM
02/17/16 08:37 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by MooseNotes
Rick, I made pizza while listening to this video of yours and shared the link with my family. They all loved it, too. What fun!!! :o)

Glad you and your family enjoyed the video, MooseNotes! smile

When you get your new-to-you Conover Cable home, you can start having fun playing your own piano.

Oh yea, BDB is in California and he is a supremo tech! smile He's one of our top-technicians here on PW, and he has tuned for many well-known artists and celebrities. He can help you a lot.

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2511994
02/18/16 03:20 AM
02/18/16 03:20 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Ben_NZ Offline
Ben_NZ  Offline

Auckland, New Zealand
So to clarify, a cracked soundboard really isn't something I should worry about, because it doesn't affect the sound?

That's what BDB said. My old piano has a single crack in the soundboard and it doesn't cause any noises during playing. A rebuilder who looked at it said not to worry.
Yes, replacing the soundboard is a big deal and that's why it's only done sometimes in full rebuilds of expensive grand pianos.

And a pinboard could have cracks, but they would need to be diagnosed by a technician. This isn't something I'd be likely to detect on my own, right? Should I consider a cracked pinboard a deal breaker, it's that signficiant?

The pinblock (not pinboard) may not be exposed in your piano, but you may be able to deduce that a crack could exist as BDB described. If strings which have physically adjacent tuning pins are much more out of tune than average, perhaps a crack in the pinblock between these tuning pins could be allowing them to slip out of tune. Here's a link to a photo (hopefully):
cracked pinblock
I don't believe cracked pinblocks are common, but it's a major job to replace one. It would definitely be a sign to abandon a sub-$100 upright!

Post some photos of your new piano if / when you get it. smile

Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Ben_NZ] #2512000
02/18/16 03:56 AM
02/18/16 03:56 AM
C
Coyotewoods Offline OP
Coyotewoods  Offline OP
C

Thanks for clarifying. The terminology and pieces and parts are all very new to me. I'm so glad you shared the photo. That makes better sense: two neighboring keys with problems could indicate a crack.

I love everything I'm learning and will definitely share some photos and maybe even a video tour when I get my piano home.

Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2512152
02/18/16 03:42 PM
02/18/16 03:42 PM
AZ, USA
Tuneless Offline
Tuneless  Offline

AZ, USA
The crack, if one exists, could be vertical as in the picture, or it could be horizontal or some where in between. The loose pins due to a crack may be adjacent or in a line, which suggests a crack. Most pianos do not have an exposed pin block, so seeing the crack is often not possible and it can only be guessed at by which pins are loose. After tuning my piano, I have marked the pins that keep needing retuning, by putting a little white-out on the tip of the pin. So far only 3 pins are marked, and they are not near each other or in a line.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2513325
02/21/16 06:25 PM
02/21/16 06:25 PM
C
Coyotewoods Offline OP
Coyotewoods  Offline OP
C

Things to note:

The piano is home.

I'm NOT an overnight YouTube sensation and the star of an "Oops! Ouch! Poor piano!" video.

Only one daffodil got squashed in the process and it's still going to flower.

The marriage is still (moderately) intact. The friends are still our friends.

The dogs didn't bark at the piano, sniff it, lift a leg to it, lick it, or even look at it.

I'm not sure what this means, since they do this to EVERYTHING new in our home. When we've had bears visit our trashcans in the middle of the night, they had the same reaction. Udder silence. But a bunny rabbit running across the deck? Total doggy mahem!

(The piano is kind of bear color, and it's large. Not grizzly large, just black bear large, and we have black bears. There could be a conection here.)

Only one of our six cats ran across the keys. He was so terrified by this unexpected experience, he fluffed up to twice his size, arched his back, and ran into the closet.

So, overall I hereby declare OPERATION: GET THAT THING HOME a roaring success, and delivery was free, minus an upcoming pizza night as a thank you, where I make all the pizzas from scratch and pray they don't burn.

But the piano smells.

People, you are all under orders to STOP loading your homes up with chemicals. Febreze is not your friend, it's not your piano's friend. It's nobody's friend.

I'm chemically sensitive and stupidly didn't consider that I'd be bringing that smell home with me. There are ways to address this, though, and OPERATION: CLEAN AIR is already underway.

But there's another but, and it's the topic for a whole other discussion thread, which will launch in the next few days. And it's a big one.

So there's that.

As furniture, the piano really makes our home cozy. As pretty much the ONLY furniture we own, my husband's one regret is that we can't recline on it and put our feet up.

Anyway, hello. I'm 45 years old and I don't own a couch or a bed, but I do own a 1948 Conover Cable console piano in FAIR condition, and I couldn't be happier.

Except for that other thing.

And, yes, the humidity in our home can wildly flucuate, and the piano now lives next to a wood stove. We're going to engineer a plan to address this. But as I've said before, it sure beats the landfill.

Happy day, folks!

Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2513361
02/21/16 08:09 PM
02/21/16 08:09 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Congratulations on getting your piano home!

It's traditional here on PW for new members, or new piano owners (new or pre-owned smile ) to post pictures of their piano. So, post pictures when you can!

As far as not owning a couch or a bed, well, I suppose sitting or sleeping on the floor is better than being homeless.

Wishing you all the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2513457
02/22/16 12:31 AM
02/22/16 12:31 AM
C
Coyotewoods Offline OP
Coyotewoods  Offline OP
C

I mentioned that I'd like to learn Greensleeves and Ode to Joy when I get my piano. I learned a very scaled down kid's version back in the 70s. Today I played a tiny bit of Greensleeves from memory and the coyotes started howling outside!

So I'm moving on to Ode to Joy. Here's my inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnT7pT6zCcA

I'm tall with very short red hair and do a mean Beaker impression. Beaker was my nickname when I was a kid.

I kind of don't fit in here on Piano World, but I love being a part of the forums. :o)

Last edited by MooseNotes; 02/22/16 12:32 AM.
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2513487
02/22/16 04:17 AM
02/22/16 04:17 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
You fit perfectly.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2513800
02/22/16 07:51 PM
02/22/16 07:51 PM
Phoenix, AZ
agraffe Offline
agraffe  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Congratulations on bringing your 1948 Conover Cable console piano home, olfactory issues with "that new piano smell" aside! It's highly unlikely that your instrument will ignite, like Beaker's violin when playing Ode to Joy in the video. And as for fitting in here, I think you have succeeded in creating a space for yourself and attracting a following; and besides, as I have mentioned before in another context, the only thing worse than being like everybody else is not being like everybody else.

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: agraffe] #2514286
02/24/16 02:10 AM
02/24/16 02:10 AM
C
Coyotewoods Offline OP
Coyotewoods  Offline OP
C

Why, thank you, agraffe, for your kind comments!

The piano is perfectly, wonderfully mine, and I am so thrilled to have this beautifully dinged instrument in my home.

:o))

Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2514391
02/24/16 12:12 PM
02/24/16 12:12 PM
Connecticut USA
B
BethRH Offline
BethRH  Offline
B

Connecticut USA
Remember: the beautiful sounds of a piano can nullify all thoughts of any dings on the case...

Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: PhilipInChina] #2515264
02/26/16 10:59 PM
02/26/16 10:59 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
You fit perfectly.

Exactly.

Learner
Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2515294
02/27/16 02:24 AM
02/27/16 02:24 AM
C
Coyotewoods Offline OP
Coyotewoods  Offline OP
C

Thank you kindly, folks.

And now that Cal Fire came and extracted one of my cats from his roost 2.5 stories up a pine tree, I can resume cleaning my piano.

Re: An option: a 1948 Conover Cable console piano [Re: Coyotewoods] #2515358
02/27/16 11:16 AM
02/27/16 11:16 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Thank you kindly, folks.

And now that Cal Fire came and extracted one of my cats from his roost 2.5 stories up a pine tree, I can resume cleaning my piano.

Well, I'm glad the cat is safe, and I'm glad you can now resume your piano adventure! smile

Over the last 10 or 11 years, since I've been interested in pianos, I've bought several of them, all pre-owned. I still have 4 of them, but one of the most exciting things to me about getting a new-to-me piano is to open them up and look inside to see what's there. I too have found an assortment of oddities inside the pianos, along with a few coins. Found a quarter once, and thought I had gotten an even better deal on the piano. smile

I've found pencils, pens, bobby-pins, candy, bubblegum rapers, baseball cards, guitar picks, and even old photos. Actually, the adventure of finding what's inside, imagining the life that the piano had and the fun and enjoyment the previous owners got from it was as much of an adventure and an enjoyment as playing a tune on it for the first time.

Every pre-owned piano has a history... and I have always liked to study history! smile

All the best,

Rick

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boston grand
by Steven Bolstridge. 09/20/19 08:05 PM
Mozart’s D Minor Concerto
by MizuiroNinja. 09/20/19 06:52 PM
Fame Grand 200 digital
by monsieurmickey. 09/20/19 04:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,126
Posts2,871,471
Members94,463
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission