2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (EPW, Candywoman, drewr, ambrozy, 36251, APianistHasNoName, BMKE, 11 invisible), 686 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Strat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Thought that'd be a fun discussion. Which headphones do you enjoy the most and what do you use to drive them when listening to piano music?

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Strat
Thought that'd be a fun discussion. Which headphones do you enjoy the most and what do you use to drive them when listening to piano music?

You dont drive headphones! You plug the bloody things in and stick em over your ears. . . with any luck you shouldnt need to adjust the volume. Got mine at the local supermarket. Fifteen smackeroos..

Just sound like the piano. (Shrug)

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
There are all sorts of topics on headphones in PW (maybe a dozen or more) - here are a few from a quick search to help you save time.

I am a huge fan of Grados 225 and an NAD pre-amp. HiFiMan makes some great earbuds and headphone amps, too - preferences vary so much with things like this, just like pianos, loudspeakers, blenders, cars, lawnmowers, etc - Let your ear and wallet be the judge.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2484286/1.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2434240/1.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2513630/1.html

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
S
Strat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
peterws, I'm an audiophile. What you're describing is like a prison sentence to me. Music can sound beautiful when using the right tools and illicit complete indifference when using bad equipment.

Inlanding, I'm aware of those threads and they are for playing a digital piano. I'm talking about listening to professionally recorded grand piano music through headphones plugged into a headphone amp or stereo.

There's a chasm of a difference between the two.

Last edited by Strat; 02/22/16 02:49 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I rather use my speakers but just because you asked...

On the go I use either the Sennheiser momentum with my old ipod and a fiio E11 or the Grado 80i

At home I keep going back and forth between the headphone exit of my Motu ultralite avb or using a shiit valhalla as amplifier and my first generation AKG k701 and the Sennheiser HD650.

At the end it really depends on the mastering... if it is a good master I prefer the AKG because they are very analytical and you can hear every little thing... on older recordings the tubes and the sennheiser are much more fun.

I usually listen using my Focal CMS65...

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Strat
I'm talking about listening to professionally recorded grand piano music through headphones plugged into a headphone amp or stereo.

The best audiophile headphones are the best for all (naturally recorded) music, whether piano, orchestral or vocal.

I attend classical concerts regularly, so I know what they should sound like, live and without electronic trickery involved, and that's the sound I want from my hi-fi system and speakers - and headphones.

I don't listen to DAB radio or CDs on headphones - I use my speakers. When on my travels, I use my Klipsch Image X10i with my iPod. They're truly fantastic and natural-sounding for earbud headphones.

Ideally, I'd use my Grado SR325 (the best and most accurate-sounding headphones I've ever owned); second best would be my AKG K271 Mk II, but they're both too heavy and bulky to carry up mountains, so I only use them with my digital piano at home.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I use Grados sr225 and an NAD amp. Can't justify spending more than that. They add no color across my audible listening range - everyone that listens to them likes them. I like a flat sounding headphone/loudspeaker. It's quite a personal choice, though. Having good source material helps. Quality equipment requires good source material.

Avalon Acoustics fill my listening room with wonderful stage presence, too.

Being and audiophile, Strat, you must know quite a bit about them and your ear/wallet is always the best judge. Stop by your local high-end audio stores and test-drive.

Audiogon has some great reviews by all sorts of audiophile experts - a fantastic source.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
T
T
I have a few comments.

bennevis - Regarding recordings vs live performances, I used to be astonished how many audio engineers had never been to a live performance of non-amplified instruments. I still don't think recording technology can match the dynamic range and complexity of most acoustic instruments and especially that of a symphony orchestra.

Inlanding - It's funny you mention high end audio stores in your response to Strat. Back when I was a struggling college student/musician I'd occasionally stop by a high end store to find things I could reasonably afford and think at some point I'll be able to seriously consider the nicer stuff. When the time came that I could, however, all those shops were gone.

Strat - I've always had a weird relationship with audiophile gear. I appreciate it as I have always been able to pick out intricate details in recordings and worked as a mastering engineer at one point. However, having also once subsisted mainly on generic ramen noodles, I have kind of a detached bemusement to some of the cost and attitudes. It probably didn't help that at times I questioned if some dedicated audiophiles ever played an entire album or just portions.

I'd also think much of the equipment used to record music would leave many audiophiles aghast, nor would I ever be able to justify spending more on a set of loudspeakers than I would on a fine musical instrument. So I always tried to find the bargains, the gear that would sound reasonably nice while not making me feel too guilty about the cost. Sadly, many of the brands I liked have since been bought up by larger companies and/or shifted to lower cost manufacturing. Others no longer exist.

But to finally answer your question after all that ramble, I mainly use Grado SR-60s for home listening and Koss Porta-Pros while being active, but I've limited my use of headphones in the last few years due to fear of the long term effects and some alarm at how often I used to use them. Back in my recording/mastering days--when closed back headphones were usually needed--I typically favored various Sennheisers.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sennheiser HD380 Pro. They are actually the only good ones I have, and I also use them for my piano playing.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Great to see so many Grados fans in one place.

I try them all at each Audiofest (Can Jam) that comes to Denver in October.

The HiFiMan HE-400 and HE-1000 are worth taking your best music to demo. Your music comes to life and they are so very comfortable. Be careful, like with all really fine headphones, they reveal the good, bad and ugly of the source recording.

One of my favorites is Olga Kern playing the Chopin below on the HiFiMan HE-1000 driven by the ALO 6 amp which will melt you in your chair. Yes. there are others, but it goes on and on and on with all the fine audio out there.

Piano Concerto No.1
Fantasie, Op.49
Bolero, Op.19
Fantasie-Impromptu, Op.66
Polonaise, Op.53

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
S
Strat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I like the sound of the Grados in some instances but the comfort level (for me) has ALWAYS been an issue. frown

I realize the "A" word (audiophile) is somewhat of a dirty one, namely due to people who either don't know what they are talking about or because some people have more financial resources than common sense, but I am solely interested in good sound. I don't need a $2000 cable. That sort of nonsense isn't for me. But impactful components do make a positive contribution to the sound and that in turn allows me to enjoy the music that much more.

Anybody else wish to share their thoughts, experience, and piano-listening gear with us?

F
f3r Offline
F
I'm limited to cheap headphones... Even the SR60 are over 100€ here.

I currently own only a pair of Superlux HD681 EVO.
They are quite bassy, I had to do some (easy) mods to bring up the highs a little bit. They're not perfect but are quite good for now. There's nothing I can do about the bass unless I do some heavier mods that involve soldering.

I used to have a Cowon C2 as a music player but it's now broken frown. I have to stick with my phone and my PC with an old Sound Blaster Audigy SE.

I'm interested in the new HD662 EVO, they look promising from the graphs after some mods.
http://diyah.boards.net/thread/1169/superlux-hd662-evo

I would like a model with a flat(ter) frequency response though but I think I'm going with the 662 first.

T
T
f3r - Are smaller headphones like Koss Porta Pros or Sennheiser PX-100s more affordable there?

Strat - I agree that the Grados aren't very comfortable.

I didn't mean to imply "audiophile" was a dirty word, just that some people get carried away, as with any passion. And I guess without companies seeing what they could build with an unlimited budget, there would be far less innovation and trickle down to more affordable equipment. You may be able to tell I've had a few internal debates about how much to spend.

Personally I used to find it kind of a nice challenge / hobby to try to build a near audiophile-level system on a modest budget. That culminated in a small room system that consisted of an NAD CD player (bought at closeout), a Rotel turntable (display unit), fairly old Rotel preamp/amp (found at a second hand shop) and PSB Alpha speakers (back when they were made in Canada by a new, independent company). I also had Paradigm 5ses for a while (also when they were made in Canada by an independent company). Of all of those, I still have the PSBs; I'm thinking of hooking them up to my digital piano (with a small nu force amp).

Speaking of which, do you or anyone know what the current "bargains" are? Or if there are small, innovative audio component companies making great things for relatively affordable prices? Back when I regularly shopped and checked out audio equipment, my favorite "someday" speakers were Snells, but sadly the company is gone. I also really liked Spicas, which I think are also gone.

Last edited by TimPoe; 02/24/16 08:04 PM.
F
f3r Offline
F
They surely are, at around 35€. The Superlux models I mentioned are sold at a similar price but they include an extra set of (velour) pads, 2 cables (1 meter and 3 meters) and a pouch.
I was considering the Porta Pros but I wanted a pair of over-ears.

I now need a pair of over-ear closed headphones. With the 681s, being semi-open, I have a hard time hearing what I'm playing at the piano or listening to music while my sister is practicing with her violin. I think that will be less of a problem with the new 662s but they're not out yet.

S
S
Fostex T20RPMK2. They're pretty comfortable for me. My ears are very sensitive to pressure from some high school sports injuries (tell your kids to wear the headgear if they take up wrestling) and these have a lot of padding.

Lot's of people make pretty extensive modifications to these to get even better sound, but I don't think my ears are that refined.

Adult Beginner/Early Intermediate
Knabe 1902 Grand

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nature Boy in different keys
by Jt2nd - 08/15/22 07:17 PM
Boston Vertical string breakage
by P W Grey - 08/15/22 04:33 PM
cantabile
by SouthPark - 08/15/22 04:29 PM
Finish on 1963 Kawai 7'4" grand.
by Donald1 - 08/15/22 04:23 PM
Teaching while pursuing non-music degree?
by txpianoplayer - 08/15/22 03:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,416
Posts3,216,638
Members106,089
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission