2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
I get my piano tuned 3 or so times a year. Once, within a week of tuning, just one note really bothered me.
Called my tuner , 2 days later he arrived, solved my issue. No charge of course.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Dear Piano World friends,

Thank you very much for your supportive replies which confirm my own reaction to this disappointing lack of response.
I think that my tuner would have received the email as he always replies promptly when I request a tuning.

We have been experiencing very warm humid weather in Auckland and probably this has contributed to this particular issue.

Best regards,

Robert.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Robert, if you didn't live so far away from my location (on the other side of the world), I'd come over and tweak your wayward unisons for free. smile

In all honestly, I've only had one piano technician to tune any of my pianos, and she was the best of the best, Sally Phillips. Although I'm in the process of learning to tune and service my own pianos, and I have tuned a few other pianos for free for friends or co-workers, Sally's tuning was superior to my tunings, and I learned a few things just by watching her work.

And, other than tweaking a few unisons here and there, her tuning on my Yamaha C7 still sounds good, 2 years later. Now that is what I call a stable tuning!! smile

A piano tech's job is not an easy one, and I imagine some piano owners can be really discriminating. But when you pay the tech to tune your piano, you want it to sound good and hold its tuning as long as possible.

With that said, a really good piano technician, like Sally Phillips and others, earn their money, big time! smile

And, with that said, a really good technician wouldn't/shouldn't mind coming back and doing touch-ups for free, within a reasonable amount of time.

And, while I'm on a roll here, Sally is not only a superior concert piano technician, but she is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by hmrnmky
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
If you play your piano frequently, hmrnmky, I can say unequivocally that the regulation isn't the same as when it was delivered to your home.

If the piano is played infrequently, I can say unequivocally the same thing.

I'll ask tomorrow if the piano needs to be regulated when it is tuned. Not trying to stir the pot but it seems fine to me. Perhaps I am more accepting of my the piano plays than others might be but if it can be improved on then I'll bring it up tomorrow.
How many pianos do you have experience with or play on a regular basis?

I completely agree with Keith and terminaldegree.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
H
H
Originally Posted by musicpassion
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
If you play your piano frequently, hmrnmky, I can say unequivocally that the regulation isn't the same as when it was delivered to your home.

If the piano is played infrequently, I can say unequivocally the same thing.

I'll ask tomorrow if the piano needs to be regulated when it is tuned. Not trying to stir the pot but it seems fine to me. Perhaps I am more accepting of my the piano plays than others might be but if it can be improved on then I'll bring it up tomorrow.
How many pianos do you have experience with or play on a regular basis?

I completely agree with Keith and terminaldegree.

Musicpassion, I've owned 5 pianos, 3 being grand piano and played 9 or 10 on a regular basis. My tuning on Saturday took about 40 minutes, the RPT uses a digital device that shows the note being tuned and at what point it is in tune. I discussed this thread with him and he said that if he tuned by ear it would take substantially longer. I had a few notes in the upper end voiced as they were a little too bright for me but the action did not need to be regulated. I am happy with the service I get and because of the tuning stability we decided to change from every 4 months to every 6 months.

2011 Yamaha GC2
My tuning on Saturday took about 40 minutes, the RPT uses a digital device that shows the note being tuned and at what point it is in tune. I discussed this thread with him and he said that if he tuned by ear it would take substantially longer. I had a few notes in the upper end voiced as they were a little too bright for me but the action did not need to be regulated. I am happy with the service I get and because of the tuning stability we decided to change from every 4 months to every 6 months.

I think nowadays, most tuners use an ETD, but I could be wrong. Regardless, 40 minutes is rolling along at a fast pace. My conclusion is that your piano was not "out of tune" and basically needed touching up.

Just placing the tuning hammer on well over 200 tuning pins alone, and making some movement/adjustment is time consuming.

And, if your tech actually adjusted every single tuning pin, I'd say he's fast a lightening. smile

As long as you are happy with his/her work, that is what matters.

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
H
H
Originally Posted by Rickster
My tuning on Saturday took about 40 minutes, the RPT uses a digital device that shows the note being tuned and at what point it is in tune. I discussed this thread with him and he said that if he tuned by ear it would take substantially longer. I had a few notes in the upper end voiced as they were a little too bright for me but the action did not need to be regulated. I am happy with the service I get and because of the tuning stability we decided to change from every 4 months to every 6 months.

I think nowadays, most tuners use an ETD, but I could be wrong. Regardless, 40 minutes is rolling along at a fast pace. My conclusion is that your piano was not "out of tune" and basically needed touching up.

Just placing the tuning hammer on well over 200 tuning pins alone, and making some movement/adjustment is time consuming.

And, if your tech actually adjusted every single tuning pin, I'd say he's fast a lightening. smile

As long as you are happy with his/her work, that is what matters.

All the best,

Rick

Yes, it really was just a touch up, the piano was 10 cents out of tune. My RPT is fast and efficient and because of regular tuning and how stable the piano is it doesn't go really out of tune. The piano is located on an inside wall away from all drafts.

2011 Yamaha GC2
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I allow 90 minutes in home -

U
U
I bought a used studio piano a few weeks ago, and yesterday it got its first tuning in 14 months. I had called the local Steinway dealer, requested contact info for a tuner they use, and called her. (She was also very helpful with advice during my search for a used piano.) She told me to expect 60-90 minutes if there were zero-to-few adjustments other than just tuning. She does use an ETD. By the 90-minute mark, she says, she's done all she can do in one visit. If more is needed, she prefers to let it settle in and return another day. Now, she's a very focused worker - although she is very pleasant, there was not much chit-chat unless she wanted to point out something about my piano. She just worked until she was finished. Right at one hour, she was finished. She had tuned, adjusted one let-off on a note that was giving me a double-strike, and used the needle-fork gizmo to treat the strike points of some middle-to-high-register hammer felts. I can't talk about stability since the tuning was yesterday, but the piano sounds beautiful. It could be my imagination, but my volume control seems slightly better in that range where she treated the felts. So far, I'm very happy with her 60-minute service.

David L
Kawai UST-7
Casio Pro-300
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had my tuner here yesterday for the yearly check-up. He spent an hour and fifteen minutes on tuning and a minor regulation issue. The piano was 3/4 of a cent off, in good technical shape, and he used an ETD. The lady is now purring like a cat, and I am happy.

Last edited by ChatNoir; 03/10/16 03:33 PM.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission