2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
50 members (Auraltuner, Beowulf, Burkey, Carey, Bett, anotherscott, 1957, BrokenSymmetry, 10 invisible), 411 guests, and 376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Headphones for Digital Piano
moderhuske #2511630 02/17/16 07:18 AM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
And identifiable doesn't always equate to measurable.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 |
EssBrace #2511633 02/17/16 07:37 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace

If something can't be measured, I'm guessing there was nothing there to begin with. smile

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Dave Horne #2511636 02/17/16 07:53 AM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Originally Posted by EssBrace

If something can't be measured, I'm guessing there was nothing there to begin with. smile

That's not really the point I was trying to make. But I haven't got the energy to say more. mcoll's statement is more or less spot on: "....but I'm certain even with that, everybody will stick to their beliefs." There are some people who will never change their view, regardless or what others say.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 |
moderhuske #2511641 02/17/16 08:00 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
That's an interesting point Dave. Although if the production quality is high I suspect sample variance should be less noticeable than a break in, in those products that get a significant change from break it. Also, as stated above, some products may actually be played before shipping.
As for the other part, I think both your statement as well as EssBrace's can be true. There are plenty of examples of both instances.

moderhuske #2511906 02/17/16 07:54 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Guys thank you for your replies.
After listening to music on my phone with these headphones a few times
the rattling sound has disappeared. Odd, I must say. I've read all the comments
here about burning in. The first thing I did right after unboxing is play the
piano with these headphones. At that moment the sound had a 'rattle'. So I decided
just to listen to music with them. Weirdly enough, now the rattle sound is gone while
playing the piano. Bit relieved.

I can tell you the HD 598 are surprisingly amazing. I would definitely recommend them.
You do however hear the sound of the keys your hitting. Not at all distracting. The pros
definitely outweigh the cons.

Thanks for the recommendation!

moderhuske #2512014 02/18/16 05:37 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Right. Thats over with. Now then.

The best over ear headphones for around £20 are. . . .

Oh, come on!!!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
moderhuske #2512018 02/18/16 05:55 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by moderhuske
Hello guys,

I'm new here and I wanted to which headphones
are best for my Yamaha CLP-575. I'd also like
to use these headphones for listening to music (iPhone) etc.
My budget is around €400 which is about 450 dollar.
I'll also consider those above my budget so please share them.

Any advice?

I think the best would be to find studio headphones with flat frequency response. But

I would advice to go to any shop where you can find your DP and test as many headphones as you can. you find that some of them will have or will not have enough bass, tremble etc. And the same headphones may not work as good with one DP as with the others. The best is too test them by yourself. You could look for headphones with good frequency response to short list them but do test them before buying!

Edit.
I don't think you need to spend $400+.

Last edited by Celdor; 02/18/16 05:56 AM.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
peterws #2512021 02/18/16 06:11 AM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by peterws
Right. Thats over with. Now then.

The best over ear headphones for around £20 are. . . .

Oh, come on!!!

Best headphones I've bought at that price range are Philips Citiscape Downtown. Their RRP was higher (£50-£60 I think), but I managed to get a couple of pairs at around £25.

I've not personally found anything better at that price point, so if you can get a pair for around that, I think they're very decent.

I actually think there's some very decent headphones to be bought in the £50-£100 range, chosen wisely. My personal faves - and a good reason why I'm not motivated to spend more than they cost - are AKG 271s, and they can be bought for around the £80 mark, and for me, they're ideal. I don't use them for general music listening, for several reasons, but for digital piano usage I find them perfect.

moderhuske #2512934 02/20/16 02:50 PM
B
B
I have both the Senn HD598 and the Audio Technica M50x.

Both are top notch.

Key difference is the 598s are open backed so if you practice in the same room as someone else they will hear it.

The M50x is closed so whisper quiet to outsiders, and has a flatter response. I find the bass is a bit more pumped up in the 598s and because it's open has a more airy feel to the sound rather than feeling like I'm locked in a sound chamber.

Personally I prefer the 598s for music and general purpose use and the M50x for my software/digital pianos, and as a bonus no one can hear my boring piano practice.

M50x is better value. For digital piano, I would recommend the M50x.

moderhuske #2513131 02/21/16 05:17 AM
P
P
I use the YAMAHA HPH-150B. I play only with headphone.Before I used the YAMAHA HPE-170. but it was no so good.
HPH-150 . I can play the digital piano long time but don't get tired.It's cheap and good for digital piano.

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/
--------------------------------------

Pro-TAC #2513630 02/22/16 01:47 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pro-TAC
I use the YAMAHA HPH-150B. I play only with headphone.Before I used the YAMAHA HPE-170. but it was no so good.
HPH-150 . I can play the digital piano long time but don't get tired.It's cheap and good for digital piano.

I have Yamaha HPH 200p, and all I can say is beautiful for music and instruments. They cost less then others. I try AKG, Audio Technica, etc, but no more I want to use anything else then Yamaha headphones.

Last edited by slobajudge; 02/22/16 01:49 PM.
bobbo #2513673 02/22/16 03:00 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bobbo
I have both the Senn HD598 and the Audio Technica M50x.

I find the bass is a bit more pumped up in the 598s and because it's open has a more airy feel to the sound rather than feeling like I'm locked in a sound chamber.

Personally I prefer the 598s for music and general purpose use and the M50x for my software/digital pianos, and as a bonus no one can hear my boring piano practice.

M50x is better value. For digital piano, I would recommend the M50x.

Of course to each their own, and whatever they prefer is fine. In my case it is the opposite for piano mostly liking the senns more, but you do not have not take my word word it. Measurements, but more importantly my ear tells quite the opposite about some of what you say.

The m50x has better bass extension, it is also more boosted. It is dangerous to go by marketing spec sheets for that type of thing, for anyone that does, don't. IIRC the 598 quotes a lower frequency for bass limit than the ath m50 but in reality this is poo.

frequency response

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=2941&scale=30

50 Hz test

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=2941&scale=30

The links you need to cut and paste in your browser, since it is gets confused by the square brackets by the software on this site.

I'll not go in too much detail for those interested, but two graphs above tell a lot of the story, in particular the 50 Hz test for the bass, though the m50 does have some unusual qualities in the bass, overall very pleasing sound though I like. The senns are actually flatter overall.

The background what all that means is out there at inner fidelity.

My own experiences with quite a few cans in the last years, calibrating my ear as it were taught me to recognise those patterns fairly well but by no means an expert.

A general summary of different can characteristics can be seen here.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...wave-response-page-2#3Cy8BiFYIKpAUUsw.97

This page ( to me ) tells a wealth of information more than what a lot of the reviews out there, but, understanding those plots takes a bit of ear training and digesting some theory. Naturally, the ear and actually hearing is the most important and has the final say for me,

BUT

I've found that type of data very useful over time and the indications of particular traits a phone will have. That understanding didn't come overnight,

nor did it it turn me into an audiophile snob believing in the most expensive can and headphone amp is everything. laugh

My 2 cents, just to point it out, since people come and read these threads and there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

Of course it is not always that simple and black and white to interpret a sound signature, but there is a lot of false info being spread about many a can that are simply not true.

Now, the character of the m50 while a very nice phone does have the tendency to hype certain frequencies important in the focal range and for pianos, not immediately obvious from a frequency plot but also revealed in the square wave tests, this will shift the timbral characteristics a bit. It may turn out that it may happen to be a good match one may like for a particular sampled piano for personal reasons, but it not so natural and/or true in that sense sounding ( to me anyway ).

It certainly does have other qualities where it is a better phone than the 598 when I use them, measurements also tally with why that is so.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 02/22/16 03:04 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,571
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission