Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
135 registered members (anotherscott, akc42, ando, 36251, 604Rakuda, 8ude, Abdol, Alan F, Animisha, 34 invisible), 5,959 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: itsfreakingmeout] #2511254
02/16/16 11:44 AM
02/16/16 11:44 AM
J Soo Offline
J Soo  Offline

Originally Posted by itsfreakingmeout
12 hours a day for a college audition? Wow...I have auditions Saturday and because I live in the real world (work, school, social life, etc), I am lucky if I get 3 hours a day. Hope that doesn't make me less dedicated. 12 hours...man, how nice for you. Did you get in? I sincerely hope so, otherwise, what a monumental waste of time.

How is 12 hours a day over 9 months any more or less of a waste of time than, say, an hour a day over 9 years? I prefer to think that music has an inherent value and that time devoted to music is time well spent.

I left the piano for a while, but it never left me
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: J Soo] #2511289
02/16/16 12:43 PM
02/16/16 12:43 PM
Urbandale, Iowa
S
Steve Chandler Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Steve Chandler  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted by J Soo
12 hours a day for a college audition? Wow...I have auditions Saturday and because I live in the real world (work, school, social life, etc), I am lucky if I get 3 hours a day. Hope that doesn't make me less dedicated. 12 hours...man, how nice for you. Did you get in? I sincerely hope so, otherwise, what a monumental waste of time.

How is 12 hours a day over 9 months any more or less of a waste of time than, say, an hour a day over 9 years? I prefer to think that music has an inherent value and that time devoted to music is time well spent.

As others have already noted there is a limit to how much effective practice one can do in a day. Plus in my experience life is about relationships. If your biggest relationship is with an inanimate object (a piano) then there are problems, because if you develop a world class technique, but don't have the sociability to express healthy emotions you won't be properly serving the music.

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: NervousWreck123] #2511302
02/16/16 01:12 PM
02/16/16 01:12 PM
J Soo Offline
J Soo  Offline

I agree about diminishing returns, which will indeed be reached well before 12 hours a day for the vast majority. Maybe corinne12 is one of the exceptions that prove the rule, maybe not. Suggestions about life balance might be helpful; dismissing this as a "colossal monumental waste of time" probably isn't.

Last edited by J Soo; 02/16/16 01:13 PM.

I left the piano for a while, but it never left me
Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: J Soo] #2511345
02/16/16 02:39 PM
02/16/16 02:39 PM
guess where in CA and WA
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member
laguna_greg  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

guess where in CA and WA
So here's a couple of questions:

1- How many of you have ever practiced a whole day, and possibly consistently for a period of time? A few months say. That can include breaks for meals and other things. But who here has actually put in 6-10 hours?

2- Did it do anything for you?

3- If you did, how did you structure your time, and what were your goals for that period?

Laguna Greg

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/greg-dempster/34/325/6b9/ (my day job)
Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: NervousWreck123] #2511349
02/16/16 02:45 PM
02/16/16 02:45 PM
Colorado, USA
J
jdott Offline
jdott  Offline
J

Colorado, USA
1-In my youth I'd often practice 5-6 hours per day.
2-Yes. My playing improved, especially from a technical aspect.
3-I started with exercises then went to work on whatever works I was learning at the time, and finished by reviewing some I'd already mastered (also because this part was just fun)I

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: itsfreakingmeout] #2511373
02/16/16 03:53 PM
02/16/16 03:53 PM
C
corinne12 Offline
corinne12  Offline
C

Originally Posted by corinne12
I practice piano 10 hours on days I have off of work and I don't have a lot to do. On the other days I try for about 3-4 hours.

While I was preparing for auditions for college I was practicing 12 hours a day EVERY day for about 9 months! I was advancing so quickly.

I would like to practice more. I am only practicing those 10 hour days on average 1-2 times a week. I would like to try and practice more the other days. I am trying to sleep less. I usually sleep 10 hours but this past Monday I only slept 7 hours and I began practicing at around 5:30 am. I know, I need to get at least 8 hours.

I just bought, a few months ago, a 2003 7 foot Yamaha Grand with a disklavier system. It is a regular piano but when you push a button it puts a block between the hammers and strings and then can function as a keyboard and I can use head phones to not distract the neighbors when I practice before 8 am.

I don't have any problems with my hands from practicing so much. I take a lot of small breaks and I keep relaxed and try not to be tense.

I don't have much of a social life but I have decided to make some sacrifices to become great at the piano. When I don't practice I am so sad. It is my dream to get really good so I am working toward that now.

I saved up money to able to do nothing but eat, sleep, and practice for about 9 months...I got accepted but no scholarship so couldn't go. :-(

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: NervousWreck123] #2511758
02/17/16 01:38 PM
02/17/16 01:38 PM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

The Heart of Screenland
"If you don't live outside of the music, how will you ever have something to say IN the music"

Carlos Santana

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: f3r] #2512673
02/19/16 08:59 PM
02/19/16 08:59 PM
Alberta
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
1RC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alberta
Originally Posted by f3r
Try reading a book before you fall asleep. That helps get me tired. Zzzquil (like NyQuil, but only for sleep) works too.

If I do that I end up sleeping very late, sometimes at 4am...
I started listening to music, it helps me fall asleep but it has no effect to the quality of sleep and I don't want to use medicines to solve this problem.

I probably know what are the causes:

1. A problem I'm carrying since my childhood and got worse over the years.
2. Lack of physical exercise... A good and intense workout works very well with me but piano took the priority since I started. Seems like mental fatigue is not enough for me.

The first is not easily solvable.
I just have to find time to dedicate to the second.

Here's a great podcast about sleep with a guy who really knows his stuff: http://theshawnstevensonmodel.com/21-cures-sleep-problem-pt1/

...and in article form if you prefer: http://theshawnstevensonmodel.com/sleep-problems-tips/

They get into just what sleep deprivation will do to a person, and have some more unusual tips that you might want to try.

Personally, I try to get a good sleep every night, but I often give myself troubles in trying to pack too much into the day and staying up late anyways, heheh.

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: corinne12] #2512676
02/19/16 09:02 PM
02/19/16 09:02 PM
Alberta
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
1RC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alberta
I saved up money to able to do nothing but eat, sleep, and practice for about 9 months...I got accepted but no scholarship so couldn't go. :-(

Dang! What was the plan B from there?

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: 1RC] #2512677
02/19/16 09:05 PM
02/19/16 09:05 PM
C
corinne12 Offline
corinne12  Offline
C

Originally Posted by 1RC

Get a job and not be able to practice as much :-(

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: laguna_greg] #2512695
02/19/16 10:22 PM
02/19/16 10:22 PM
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Opus_Maximus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by laguna_greg

1- How many of you have ever practiced a whole day, and possibly consistently for a period of time? A few months say. That can include breaks for meals and other things. But who here has actually put in 6-10 hours?

3- If you did, how did you structure your time, and what were your goals for that period?

1 - I have on several occasions.

2 - Made me neurotic and sore.

3- Had no specific structure. The goal was pretty much to feel the virtues of saying to myself I did it smile

I practice on average 3-5 hours per day. Hardly ever more. I've come to the conclusion that this is all anybody really needs or can regularly handle, even if they tend to think they need more. The only circumstances I can think of where it would be necessary to push yourself beyond this is:

- If you are preparing for an international competition with 4 or 5 rounds of music.

- You have a very short time to prepare a new work or work(s).

Because I tend to be very precise about timing my practice, I found that I can focus up to 7 hours in a day. (Even though the quality in focus declines steadily every hour after the 3 hour mark). BUT, the minute I hit that 8th hour, if I go on any longer, I can feel diminishing returns coming at me HARD and FAST. Yes, things to get ugly and bad, quickly. So I don't believe that there is ANY value in practicing more than 8 hours a day, ever, at least for me.

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: laguna_greg] #2512728
02/20/16 12:19 AM
02/20/16 12:19 AM
Southern California
S
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S

Southern California
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

Not me, but I met a young adult male going to music school for a year in the U.S. He was from Taiwan. I asked him how many hours between classroom and practice each day. He said 12 to 15 hours a day. I was astonished.

Then I thought about it. This was his one year to study music abroad at a huge financial sacrifice from his family. Music offers few guarantees for income. That 12+ hours is not all at the instrument. There is theory, music history, music appreciation, transcription work, marketing, business, recording, possibly composition, accompanyment, group dynamics, group projects. Still, there are a lot of hours at the instrument.

Music can also be social. Saying that someone that spends so many hours on music each day, has no life seems to me like a closed minded view. This guy seemed to be having the time of his life, despite the heavy work load.

I recall an article about pianists in China. It seems relatively common for young Asian pianists to do 12 or more hours a day. That kind of schedule seems frowned upon in the U.S. and Europe, but almost seems expected for serious young musicians in China.

A lot of bright young people studying other subjects have similar or worse crazy school schedules. I met a young genius kid (Irish/German heritage if that matters) studying engineering at U.C. Berkeley. 12 hours of class and study, would have been a cake walk for this kid. Try 16 to 18 to 20 hours on many days, mostly on heavy duty science, programming and math courses. Think your mind becomes mush after 3 hours at the piano, try focusing on advanced calculus or physics or engineering for 16 hours a day, seven days a week.

Finally, think about the point of view of someone from a poor village in China. (Note the young man I met was from Taiwan from a middle class family.) It is one thing to be from a relatively wealthy U.S. or European family and tell your kid to seek a well rounded life. Another to be desperately poor and dream of a chance of a real life through music.

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: NervousWreck123] #2514297
02/24/16 04:04 AM
02/24/16 04:04 AM
Vermont
toyboy Offline
500 Post Club Member
toyboy  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Vermont
Which leads me to predict that the winner of work overload will be the student at Berkeley who will invent a piano playing robot, thus solving the workload of all the suffering piano students. And in his spare time, with leftover spare parts, he will also invent a robot audience who will not applaud at the wrong moments or in between movements.

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: NervousWreck123] #2514310
02/24/16 05:52 AM
02/24/16 05:52 AM
C
Celdor Offline
Celdor  Offline
C

Hello,
I usually don't post here in this forum as I am adult beginner. I can built my sort of routine to practice scales, arpeggios, chord progression, some technical exercises--not everything every day but most of the, and I can see that it is very easy to spend 3 hours a day and I do it only as it is my passion.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: corinne12] #2515356
02/27/16 11:14 AM
02/27/16 11:14 AM
Alberta
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
1RC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alberta
Originally Posted by 1RC

I know how work can make finding practice time a struggle! I'm sure you must have accomplished quite a bit with all the practice you've been able to put in - do you do anything in music besides practicing?

Re: Students who practice 10 hours a day and have no social life [Re: 1RC] #2515736
02/28/16 06:08 PM
02/28/16 06:08 PM
C
corinne12 Offline
corinne12  Offline
C

Originally Posted by 1RC
Originally Posted by 1RC

I know how work can make finding practice time a struggle! I'm sure you must have accomplished quite a bit with all the practice you've been able to put in - do you do anything in music besides practicing?

Yes, I teach piano, compose music and am in an eight hand piano ensemble.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
PETROF 155th Anniversary Celebrations
by Campanella12. 08/20/19 04:45 PM
My new piano is here!!!
by ShiroKuro. 08/20/19 04:40 PM
Best velocity curve for Kawai actions?
by magicpiano. 08/20/19 01:44 PM
Mason Hamlin Piano Factory Tour 2019
by Piano World. 08/20/19 12:19 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,637
Posts2,860,810
Members94,197
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission