2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
X
OP Offline
X
Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this specific question, but I'd like to have some advice regarding buying a beginner digital piano. In a couple of weeks I want to pick up playing the piano. I already have experience with music, as i have played the violin for 5 years, but I have no experience whatsoever in playing/buying a piano. So are there any key elements one has to look for when buying a digital piano? and if you'd like could you give me some recommendations? In the future I'm probably not going to perform with it, so it will be something I will only use at home. Also it doesn't need many extra features but I don't want it be too limiting, because when I eventually get better I still want to be able to use it for a couple of years.
A digital piano that has caught my eye is the Yamaha P115

Thank you very much!

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
There are a number of fine pianos in the same price range as the yamaha you're looking at. The casio privia PX160, The kawai ES100, and the new (available soon) Roland FP-30 are also worth looking at.

Do you have a teacher lined up? If so they may be able to make some commendations (some will even go piano shopping with you). If that's not feasible, usually you can ask a salesperson to play something for you.

I would say that you should get a good pair of headphones that you can take with you while you're shopping so that you can do an apples to apples comparison.

The above mentioned brands are all well regarded in their price range and from reputable companies. Any of them would be suitable for your needs. The best choice will be a matter of personal preference.

Warm Regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
A
A
It depends on your budget really. As you are an experienced musician you probably have a better ear and would require more form an instrument then the guy who never played in his life. Plus it's reasonable to expect you will progress with your piano faster.

I've being in the same situation (except it's guitar for me, not a violin). My wife is a good piano player and she teaches me now. Thus we checked a lot of options.

Piano as an instrument is very rich in its capabilities and responds to the player, just like violin. It's hard to emulate but the industry is trying. However, as me and my wife found out the cheaper models do not provide authentic enough response. We preferred Kawai over Yamaha and Roland as it seems to be more suitable for classical music (though many people who play other styles prefer other brands). We also discarded cheap models as they do not represent grand piano in a right way.

My wife insisted we take a full-size cabinet model, not a slab as in her opinion having a nice integrated stand not only psychologically better as it looks more like a real thing, but also would help the student to take the right playing position which is important for technique.

Thus decided to go with CA series from Kawai. We ended up with CA67 which has a superior action but frankly if we were on a tighter budget CA17 would also be very adequate. Action is still very good and the sound is very natural.

Should we go with e.g. Yamaha we probably wouldn't consider anything lower then CLP 545, for the action reasons. CLP 525 and Ariuses sound quite synthetic.

You might have a different budget, a different goal and a different view, but here's our reasoning anyway, hope it might help. At least ask someone capable to play those for you and make your own conclusion.

S
S
Hi,

The most affordable home-DP I would prefer is the KORG LP-380. It's price might SEEM higher than P-115 or ES-100, but if you add a corresponding furniture stand with it's 3-pedal option on either of them, you might also get there...

For less, you'll play on a plastic piano and probably an "X" stand, which will not only look bad, but it will also "dance" according to your playing.

On the KORG you'll feel more confident, as it is a more solid and robust wooden construction, and the speaker system will benefit as well, as being a separate wood-box.

And last but not least, the action - RH3 (also found on KRONOS) might be heavier than those other 2 but well made, silent enough and reliable.

Good luck,

sb

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by fizikisto
There are a number of fine pianos in the same price range as the yamaha you're looking at. The casio privia PX160, The kawai ES100, and the new (available soon) Roland FP-30 are also worth looking at.
. . .
I would say that you should get a good pair of headphones that you can take with you while you're shopping so that you can do an apples to apples comparison.

The above mentioned brands are all well regarded in their price range and from reputable companies. Any of them would be suitable for your needs. The best choice will be a matter of personal preference.

Warm Regards

+1.

Inexpensive DP's (especially "slab" DP's, like the ones on fizikistor's list) tend to be limited by their amps and speakers. You'll get a better idea of what sounds are hidden inside the box by using headphones for testing. And -- since you don't play, yet -- you'll be able to pound on them without disturbing anyone.

I'd expect that you have a good pair of headphones already. If not, this is a good time to get them.

Single-braced X-stands are wobbly. Double-braced X-stands have been OK for me for several years.

Welcome to the world of keyboard instruments --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by xUnicorn
Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this specific question, but I'd like to have some advice regarding buying a beginner digital piano. In a couple of weeks I want to pick up playing the piano. I already have experience with music, as i have played the violin for 5 years, but I have no experience whatsoever in playing/buying a piano. So are there any key elements one has to look for when buying a digital piano? and if you'd like could you give me some recommendations? In the future I'm probably not going to perform with it, so it will be something I will only use at home. Also it doesn't need many extra features but I don't want it be too limiting, because when I eventually get better I still want to be able to use it for a couple of years.
A digital piano that has caught my eye is the Yamaha P115

Thank you very much!

Lucky you! Your buying a piano in the biggest value for money sector. Theres a wealth of good stuff out there now for the price of the P115. . .All you have to do is try 'em and see.

Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
G
Originally Posted by alerique

My wife insisted we take a full-size cabinet model, not a slab as in her opinion having a nice integrated stand not only psychologically better as it looks more like a real thing, but also would help the student to take the right playing position which is important for technique.

I think this is a good point. If you're not going to perform with it, you have little reason to get a slab (and the associated compromises that brings - forcing lightweight actions and speaker systems).

Once you add a stand, full pedal set etc to your slab, the price is going to be closer to a cabinet.

A good starter option would be a Roland F140R or RP401R, which is very good value for money at around 1000 USD.

Going up, you can get a Roland HP504 or a Kawai CA17. If you have the budget for it, you can go straight to the Kawai CA67.

If you want to spend less, the Casio PX160, Roland FP-30 or Kawai ES100 that were already mentioned are good, but you need stands and pedals for those.

I think the Yamaha P115 isn't very good value for money. The other pianos at this price point, especially the FP-30, are just outright better.

Last edited by Garf; 02/09/16 04:44 AM.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, IMHO you must try by yourself Roland FP30, Kawai ES100 and Casio PX160, and then choose best key action and sounds for your taste. Cheers...!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission