2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2393868 03/04/15 06:45 PM
H
Hrodulf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Lately whenever I've tried I didn't come up with anything good. I have come to think that composition can be practiced like any other art, but the only pieces I have experience writing are part writing (polyphony) and ragtime. I wouldn't know how to begin to write any other piano music like an etude, sonata, suite, etc. So I'm wondering if the key to writing these forms is just to try whatever ideas come to mind and if it's good, use it and if it's bad, change it. I used to write in pencil and put scotch tape on the score so I could just erase whatever I didn't like and put in what notes sounded good to me (I wrote a whole fugue this way, which I think I still have, when I was in high school). I guess that could be an approach. It combines the flexibility of working on a scorewriter with the immediacy of working on the keyboard. I think what most has to be stimulated is my musical imagination; I have too limited an idea of what music can be.

I think I'll do the scotch tape thing and if anyone else has any comments or suggestions I'll consider trying them also.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Hrodulf,

The themes are of a different layout depending on the nature of a composition. For instance, the opening of any of the Chopin sonatas declares that it is not going to be a prelude. I think one composes all of the material with a notion of the form and duration in mind.

There are the classical forms and there is thematic transformation.

One might tend to view nearly all music in contrapuntal terms as a set of simultaneous melodic lines.

I'll post a little more in a few minutes . . .

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For imagination one can try to capture a particular emotion, or the presence of a particular place and experience [descriptive music] . . . one can impose a novel schemata on the material . . . one can try to listen for music that doesn't begin in the fingers or the intellect and which enters in through one's soul as did the great composers.

I am just an amateur composer. There are many other composers here including some professionals. I am interested to see what everyone else has to say on it!

H
Hrodulf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Thanks for the response. I haven't tried to compose yet I guess getting started is the best thing to do at the moment.

[Linked Image]
H
Hrodulf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Just an update I did write a piece (mostly away from the keyboard) and I can't really explained how I did it. It sort of just happened. Anyone else have an experience like that?

[Linked Image]
S
S
Well... Was it any good?

And what do you mean away from the keyboard: Without hearing it? Or on the computer?

I just wanted to mention, Hrodulf, that I'm very much enjoying listening to your rags (the MIDI files at DeviantArt). If you happen to compose anything that you would consider different in structure, style or concept from your rags and happen to have a MIDI or audio file of that to share and link to, that would be great as well.

Thanks for sharing some of your creative output at DeviantArt and for your comments at this forum.

Steve

H
Hrodulf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
I used to write baroque music in high school but it's mostly lost now. I'm not writing anything right now. Maybe someday.

[Linked Image]
H
Hrodulf Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
And I forgot to answer the previous question, I wrote it like a letter, without using a computer or at a keyboard. I'm not really fit to judge if its good or not. It almost became lost work but I found a copy I emailed to myself. It's a rag but its unlike most of the rags I wrote before. I wrote it almost a year ago. I consider myself out of ragtime and out of musical composition now.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission