2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I learned about Hutchins & Rea sheet music store in Atlanta: What a wonderful resource! IMSLP is more comprehensive, and free, but one has to use copies from the printer.

Also, I discovered the value of coming in physical contact with the keyboard every day, even if I am not able to take it much further than that (on a given day).

I am pondering the wisdom of not beginning at the beginning of a piece when I practice (though I am not fully certain/convinced why this should be so).

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
There are more things that I realize I learned here as I go along. Much of the time, I use headphones when playing my Roland V-Grand Digital Piano (DP), since I live in a condo. I have a couple of models that I have tweaked for this purpose and they sound just fine. From time to time, I will use the speaker system during the day. On the V-Grand, it is a powerful system, with 4 60 watt amplifiers and several speakers in a multi-channel arrangement.

A couple of people have mentioned that when practicing on a DP, we should turn the volume up high to approach the dynamics of an acoustic piano, otherwise, we end up learning to pound on the keys instead of finessing them to get the sound we want.

Much of the time when practicing with headphones, I keep the sound turned down, which clearly I should not be doing. I find that when I use the speaker system, I can clearly tell that I am playing the keys too hard, and then I have to turn the volume way up so I can play more softly to get a decent sound and have "headroom" for dynamics.

There are all manner of tips in these forums that can slip by us at the time we read them, but recall when we are looking for a solution to a particular situation we find ourselves in. This is one of those cases. I wonder how many people, when trying out DPs looking to purchase, remember to do this. The sound is much better when we do, as is the dynamic response of the DP, especially on a truly high end instrument such as the V-Grand or V-Piano and the newer line of Roland consumer-market instruments.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 02/21/16 09:34 AM.

Roland V-Grand
M
M
The main thing so far is that my experience is pretty normal. I'm not learning at a very fast rate but I'm progressing. When I'm encountering things that I find difficult this place has taught me that I'm not the first to find those things and I won't be the last.

With perseverance, studious attention and some experimentation, you can find a way through.

S
S
For me...it has been the help and advice I have been given by the wonderful folks here on the forum.
Although I am a complete beginner ( age 52 ) with no prior musical knowledge, everyone has treated my ( probably heard a zillion times before )questions with respect and patience.

Thank you all.

David

J
J
When I was little, my music teacher taught me the best thing in music; that is learning by ear all the scales, arpeggios, and chords. I thought it was boring and worthless until one day when it suddenly clicks. They make playing music so much easier.

Last edited by Just Steven; 06/19/16 10:30 AM.
I
I
I've only been on the forums for about a month, but have learned a TON:
- that I love geeking out with fellow pianists! smile
- great advice regarding my purchase of a digital piano (settled on a Roland HP605 - LOVE it)
- that there exist amateur competitions for adults
- that I'm actually excited to give those a shot someday (!!)
- that we have our own quarterly recitals here!
- that in order to be able to play pain-free (long-standing tendinitis injury) I need to re-train with a good teacher
- that this may take a long time, and I need to focus on pain-free playing rather than any other goal right now
- that others here have traveled the same path and can now play without issues
- that there are tons of resources, and folks are happy to help
- that Opus numbers are quite arbitrary
- that everyone at times struggles with motivation (and that reading the forums actually increases my motivation!)
- that there are many ways to learn longer pieces and difficult passages, not just from the beginning, hands separately and slowly - you can also dive into the middle of the piece and work on the most challenging passages first, then reward yourself with the easier ones in between; and you can break challenging passages into tiny pieces each of which is easier and then connect them
- that Mozart isn't "easy" (as I had thought for years), but requires a "cleanliness" and consistency of playing that's actually quite challenging
- and, my favorite one so far (with thanks to Tubbie0075) - that the key to playing Chopin is to always keep the tension going, whether that means slowing down or speeding up, louder or softer; what a PERFECT way to look at it!

So excited to continue my journey here with you all!

R
R
For me, as an adult self taught beginner reading lots of posts, the best advice was don't be that affraid of pieces, just be patient and practice a lot!

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I learned that nobody on the Piano World forum would ever tell me that I won't make it to become a pianist, although my progress is a total flop. And if I purchase an acoustic piano and upload a photo of it then I will be told how beautiful it looks, although it is just the same black polished wooden box like any other piano is.

In other words, I learned that even fools like me are respectfully treated and this forum is thus the one very best forum in all the Internet. THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU!

I learned that I have a long way to go to become any kind of player.... but I also learned to appreciate the dedication and work others put into it.

Last edited by oscar1; 03/03/17 12:05 PM.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That I'm not the only one struggling with [fill in the blank].

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've learned a lot. Number 1 most helpful is about learning s l o w l y and carefully with zero mistakes so that you don't practice them in. This improved my playing immensely. It can't be overstated how much of an impact that made.

Second was how the ignore function works.

T
T
I've learned that I'm not the only senior out there re-starting piano after many years of not playing. Since I started as an adult some 40 years ago, I'm also not the only person who never took lessons or played as a child. It has helped me to not feel so alone in my undertakings and has given me the courage to continue. All the practice tips have also been great, especially the slow practice and breaking things down into small segments. I love Piano World.

J
J
The most important thing I have learned here is that there is a great book called Fundamental Keys. wink Which learned me the proper way to learn pieces (slowly and in parts) and how important articulation etc. are to let the music come alive. And which gives me perfect graded classical pieces to practice.

Oh, and one thing I actually learned on this forum is that it is (somehow) okay to make (little) mistakes (as long as you keep the piece going in style) or alter a piece if you can't play it physically. I always thought piano plagers were perfect... wink

Last edited by J van E; 05/01/17 04:28 PM.
D
D7K Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Blanking out randomly - A great thread and the answers on how to recover from a bad note are extremely interesting and works for me.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Patience and the fact that I'm not struggling alone.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The best thing so far , but among many is this.
1. Don’t compare yourself to others unless you can learn something from doing so,
And
Take an easier lesson piece and learn that well (if you're stumped)
and
Take challenges in measures, however long they take to master.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
mistaken post....

Last edited by Peyton; 08/21/17 09:56 AM.
H
H
People get into playing piano / keyboard for all sorts of reasons including reducing stress and maintaining a sharp mind into old age (to prevent Dementia).

Visitors include the absolute beginners to the advanced. Some are just learning the instrument while others perform regularly.

F
F
How to care for my piano with regards to temperature and humidity
There are very good brands other than Steinway
What the other two pedals do
I have been introduced to new music

C
C
Thank you for sharing your experience, really practice makes us better in the ones we love the most

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission