2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2505398 01/29/16 10:19 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Studiologic Numa Stage 730 euros on Thomann, in the last few days I've watched some videos on youtube and I really liked the sound of it, especially the acoustic pianos, I know that this thing uses fatar TP 100 LR key action but since I can't test it in my country, I would be thankful if anyone want to share your experience with it.

Owner of Korg m50.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Do *NOT* buy a Studiologic Numa DP! Whatever you do!

My experience was with a Numa Nero. I too watched YT videos. These units looked interesting and promised quite a bit. The first sign that I should have stayed away was the total lack of floor models for me to test. Owners of these were few and far between. No central online place for owners to discuss ANY Numa DP was a concern as well.

In spite of all these issues, I purchased one.

At first, things seemed OK until I started exploring a bit. Firstly, I could not upgrade the DP easily. I ran into issues due to the primal software they had available. Then, due to the lack of automatic updating processes, there was a chance that I might damage/fry my DP if it didn't go perfectly.

I could find absolutely zero support in Canada whatsoever. Navigating the Studiologic and Numa Nero websites yielded no phone number in North-America that I could dial. In fact, the sole support given is in Italy. If I have any issues with my DP, I would have to fight it out with them! I had a few questions that I asked them via an email address I miraculously found and noticed there was a definite language barrier and not much in terms of willingness to help me.

I then started experiencing certain issues. A couple of my keys became unstable and required more pressure to obtain the same velocity. Of course, there is nobody I could find who could locally fix this.

The affected keys were in the last octave of the DP so not something that the buyer I sold it to cared about. I sold it at a major loss due to the lack of brand name recognition. I never had any issue selling my Yamaha, for instance.

All in all, I learned some valuable lessons and will never in my life ever buy a niche product made overseas with zero support. In fact, my buying process now is to investigate first. Kawai is a solid brand with a good reputation. Same with Roland, Yamaha, and so on...

Lastly, I've never found the so-called revolutionary keybed (as manufactured by FATAR) to be that different or superior to any of the available other DPs from the bigger more popular manufacturers mentioned above.

There is another thread where owners expressed that they experienced nothing but heartache with their Numa Nero as well. Feel free to do a search if you wish to read it. For instance, the update to the DP's firmware could only be done through a PC! So if you own a Mac, you *can't* update your expensive new DP! Unbelievable.

Bottom line ; steer clear of that brand and stick with the guys who have solid support and better resale value (not to mention superior Quality Control)!

Last edited by Strat; 01/30/16 03:00 AM.

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
R
OP Offline
R
I've heard some bad words for the Numa Nero, but here we're talking about the Numa Stage which is an upgraded version of Numa Piano.. I'm undecidable between Kawai es 100 and Numa Stage, I like the pianos more on Numa Stage and it has more realtime controls, while Kawai is well known for their good pianos especially the keys are nice.. dunno the price range is almost the same Kawai 650 euros, Numa Stage 730 euros. Thank you for your reply tho, I REALLY appreciate your time, BUT I need someone who has true experience with NUMA STAGE since is the newer model of Numa Pianos.

Owner of Korg m50.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Read my post again. Most of my points apply to any of the DPs they make.

You're free to do as you wish but I'm telling you from experience that purchasing any DP with a FATAR keybed (or from StudioLogic) is asking for trouble and frustration.

I was the same way before I bought mine and wish somebody had warned me. Up to you to either heed or ignore my warnings.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Strat

You're free to do as you wish but I'm telling you from experience that purchasing any DP with a FATAR keybed (or from StudioLogic) is asking for trouble and frustration.

Other prominent manufacturers use FATAR keyboards. Nord and Kurzweil being among the most well regarded. A lot of musicians use them without incident. In general FATAR actions seem quite robust. I don't think problems/defects are as common as you imply. Although it is a fair point to say that if there is a problem with a Numa product that the support infrastructure might not be so accessible. But if the OP gets it through a dealer they might not have to deal with the parent company directly depending on how the vendor treats warranty claims.

Warm Regards,

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by fizikisto
Other prominent manufacturers use FATAR keyboards. Nord and Kurzweil being among the most well regarded. A lot of musicians use them without incident. In general FATAR actions seem quite robust. I don't think problems/defects are as common as you imply. Although it is a fair point to say that if there is a problem with a Numa product that the support infrastructure might not be so accessible. But if the OP gets it through a dealer they might not have to deal with the parent company directly depending on how the vendor treats warranty claims.

Warm Regards,

A fair counterpoint for sure.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, IMHO go for Kawai ES100 for a much better and reliable key action. Cheers...!

R
OP Offline
R
By you how much is important to have GRADED Hammer action for piano playing compared to normal weighted action ? And yes how you guys compare Casio Privia px350 to Kawai es100 ? Sorry if asking to much !!!

Owner of Korg m50.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Graded is important to reflect more accurately how a real piano's touch is.

I'll leave the comparison to other people but in my opinion, you should start a new thread for this new topic.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission