2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Balcon, Colin Miles, hag01, ECBetancor, Iaroslav Vasiliev, Jay, 36251, JBq, 7 invisible), 273 guests, and 374 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2503713 01/25/16 07:38 AM
Suryaman Offline
Anyone who went on NAMM and tried the NP3 could tell us something on it? The demos are very good, it looks promising.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2503891 01/25/16 05:50 PM
S
Speedy Offline
S
Very interested in NP3. Wondering if the action still has that clunky feel.

Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Speedy] #2503895 01/25/16 06:14 PM
D
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Like I posted on the Nord forum and KC fwiw:

A short impression of the NP3 fwiw- first off, with the Fostex phones they provided, you could barely hear the Silver Grand or Italian. One of the Nord helpers was cool enough to get me a better set of phones, so at least I could make out some semblance of a sound over the massive din. The constant sonic assault really seemed the worst that I've ever experienced this year.

The action - yes it is noticably improved, a little heavier and more substantial. Still more of a tweak and refinement then an entire new action.

Enough to upgrade from the NP88 or NP2 ? If you have the dough, I'd say yeah go for it. But again, it's not night and day. If it were me and I still owned the NP2 and was considering an upgrade ? I'd probably sell it like I did before and get a CP4. grin thumb

And yes I played around with the different velocities and found the default the best for me.

Devoted Nord fans will welcome it and certainly more serious pianists will be pleased. But if you are coming to the Nord piano for the first time, I would recommend finding a great closeout price on the NP2 to tell the truth. I think the overall playability is close enough with the NP2. Especially if you could find one in the sub 2K range new..

Would like to hear/play the NP3 in a more friendly and controlled listening environment…….which isn't NAMM !!!!

But I can't say for sure if it would change my somewhat underwhelming feelings about it.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2503911 01/25/16 07:02 PM
K
kanefsky Offline
K
I played with the NP3 at NAMM and I really liked the texture of the keys versus my NS2 (much less slippery). The OLED display is really nice too.

--
Steve

Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2504023 01/26/16 04:07 AM
Suryaman Offline
Thanks guys. Dave, so do you still prefer the CP4 over the NP3?

One thing that annoys me about CP4 is the stretched notes in the low end, otherwise is a great piano. NP3 seems superior, piano sound wise.

kanefsky, apart from the texture of the keys, did you note an improvement in weight/feel of the keys versus NS2/NP2?

Also, what about dynamics? The Round Midnight Demo on nord website shows a broader dynamic range respect the NP2.

I understand that during NAMM is difficult to appreciate all these aspects due to the very noisy environment.

Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2504129 01/26/16 10:20 AM
36251 Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I love hearing about the lure of the internet demo. Just remember not to buy until you get to play it.

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2504134 01/26/16 10:34 AM
K
kanefsky Offline
K
The NP3 felt like it had a little more weight to the keys than the NS2 from what I could tell. I haven't played the NP2 so I can't compare to that.

--
Steve

Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Suryaman] #2504283 01/26/16 05:07 PM
D
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Suryaman
. Dave, so do you still prefer the CP4 over the NP3?

One thing that annoys me about CP4 is the stretched notes in the low end, otherwise is a great piano. NP3 seems superior, piano sound wise. .

Yes , no question.

You know in the 19 months of using the CP4 on gigs - "the stretched notes in the lower end" have never had a negative effect on my playing, or how it sounds in the mix of the band or out front. To add, I've only received comments like - "that's the best piano emulation I've ever heard".

Like I've said often- Nord pianos certainly do have a large fan base now (and the new refined action will only serve to broaden that base) , but they aren't for everyone. I simply prefer the whole player experience and sound of Yamaha digital pianos to anything else. For most pianists that are Pro, or serious players, they simply get electronic keyboards right.

Also like I, and many others have often posted - Nord pianos are most flattering when recorded with a good A/D stage and quality preamps, as opposed to coming through a musical instrument (MI) speaker out live.

So as Peter said - yes, be careful of online demos. Chances are, it won't sound like that, live, coming through a pair of $500 generic active speakers you buy at the Guitar Center. wink

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 01/26/16 05:19 PM. Reason: added thoughts

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2504467 01/27/16 05:32 AM
Suryaman Offline
Thanks Steve (kanefsky) and Dave for your further comments.

Also thanks Peter for the suggestion about playing before making any judgments. I’m well aware of that, I made 500km to try the NU1 and take a decision.

Like you Dave, I do find right the way Yamaha translates the acoustic piano experience in its digital pianos but Nord is appealing cause they made different choices that are worth considering.

My questions arise from the fact that I won’t be able to try the NP3 till May (the month I suppose it will hit the stores). I’m sure that a lot of guys like me, into portable digital pianos, that could not make to NAMM are curious to know comments from the other musicians who tried it. To have some preliminary info from musicians of this forum is really important to put things into right perspective. Of course the final judgment is in the store, and even that is not comprehensive 

P.S. The stretched notes of the NU1 have minor negative effect on my playing since when I hear a sound that I dislike I loose a bit of inspiration, but I recover immediatedly since there are several other notes in the medium/medium high register that I like a lot. I understand that during trio playing this is really minor.

Last edited by Suryaman; 01/27/16 05:41 AM.
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Suryaman] #2504494 01/27/16 07:52 AM
R
Rhodie73 Offline
R

P.S. The stretched notes of the NU1 have minor negative effect on my playing since when I hear a sound that I dislike I loose a bit of inspiration, but I recover immediatedly since there are several other notes in the medium/medium high register that I like a lot. I understand that during trio playing this is really minor.

I was under the impression that the NU1 uses an 88 note key sample set of the CFX.
Btw I agree with Dave about how the CP4 "just works" when you don't get into all the technicalities.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha P515, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Rhodie73] #2504503 01/27/16 09:01 AM
Suryaman Offline
Originally Posted by Rhodie73

I was under the impression that the NU1 uses an 88 note key sample set of the CFX.

Unfortunately not. Nevertheless the medium / medium high register is awesome!

Btw I agree with Dave about how the CP4 "just works" when you don't get into all the technicalities.

Yes CP4 rocks!

Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Suryaman] #2504521 01/27/16 09:57 AM
M
Marko in Boston Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Yes CP4 rocks!

OT: I agree about the CP4. Now that I am "band-less" I have just been focused on AP and some solo stuff. Yes CP4 "just works". Im also impressed how powerful the engine is now that I'm deep into it. I had no idea as I bought it used from a friend without really researching it. Superb connection with the CFX sound and the NW action now that i know what im doing.

My RD800 was awesome with the band as a "swiss army knife" keyboard. It does it all, sounds great, was a heck of a lot of fun, but might go up for sale as it now rest comfortably in a Gator.

ES7, a ton of miles on it and still kicking perfectly every day for practice.

Back OT: I am sucked into the hype, marketing, and demos of the NP3 right now - but I know better to hold in my GAS. As I am rethinking my gear, I am interested in possibly rounding it down to one board; NP3, CP4, ES8, or MP11. My focus (and joy) is just AP & some EP. I plan to remain bandless, but still want a slab for occasional solo gig. I'll see where I'm at in May!

Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2504541 01/27/16 10:57 AM
CyberGene Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Not sure if my taste for piano sound changes with the time but I remember liking some of Nord piano samples before. Have gone through all of them again and they sound very boxy and unnatural to me. There's something very special about Nords that makes me wish having one from time to time. Then I remember how I don't like the keyboard. And then I listen to the samples and am even less impressed. But that's just me smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/27/16 10:58 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2504586 01/27/16 01:19 PM
R
Rhodie73 Offline
R
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston

Yes CP4 rocks!

OT: I agree about the CP4. Now that I am "band-less" I have just been focused on AP and some solo stuff. Yes CP4 "just works". Im also impressed how powerful the engine is now that I'm deep into it. I had no idea as I bought it used from a friend without really researching it. Superb connection with the CFX sound and the NW action now that i know what im doing.

My RD800 was awesome with the band as a "swiss army knife" keyboard. It does it all, sounds great, was a heck of a lot of fun, but might go up for sale as it now rest comfortably in a Gator.

ES7, a ton of miles on it and still kicking perfectly every day for practice.

Back OT: I am sucked into the hype, marketing, and demos of the NP3 right now - but I know better to hold in my GAS. As I am rethinking my gear, I am interested in possibly rounding it down to one board; NP3, CP4, ES8, or MP11. My focus (and joy) is just AP & some EP. I plan to remain bandless, but still want a slab for occasional solo gig. I'll see where I'm at in May!

Not to keep throwing this thread off topic but I too had both the RD800 and CP4 simultaneously and ended up selling the Roland. I really did like it and still do, but I couldn't justify having both when I played the CP4 more. It's funny because the RD had many of the "piano effects" that I wish the CP4 had but the overall sound is more engaging in the Yamaha. .

The NP3 seems interesting and I've owned an NP2 over a year ago, but the thinning out in the upper register of the pianos plus the subpar action did not sit right with me after paying $3k for it. Anyhow I wonder how this new keybed in the NP3 will change my feeling towards Nord. Like Marko said, we'll see in May. As for now I'm good with my CP4. Time to keep practicing and learning new things!

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha P515, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2514935 02/26/16 01:19 AM
U
upbeat Offline
U
Hi! Does anybody know if the good people at Nord are planning to do a 73 key version of the NP3?

Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2514946 02/26/16 02:14 AM
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If they do, I expect we will find out at Musikmesse in April.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2515354 02/27/16 11:04 AM
petes1 Offline
D*** you Marko and Nord for continuing to inflame my GAS.

Question: How many keyboards do you need?
Answer always: Just one more.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Pianoteq 6.0
My motto: Play and Let Play!
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: petes1] #2515363 02/27/16 11:41 AM
M
Marko in Boston Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by petes1
Question: How many keyboards do you need?
Answer always: Just one more.

Wow, So true. I never thought I would be that guy with too many boards. I must try to resist the red monster with 88 teeth!!

Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2515478 02/27/16 06:22 PM
D
dje31 Offline
D
Re: GAS and how many keyboards one needs, I recall Geddy Lee of Rush, in a concert tour book, paraphrasing a fellow Canadian's song related to alcoholism:

"One's too many, and a thousand's not enough."

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
Re: NORD PIANO 3 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2516105 02/29/16 08:14 PM
U
upbeat Offline
U
Thanks James!

Now the big question, would you guys:

a) wait for a potential 73 key NP3?
b) go for the Electro 5 HP?
c) spring for the 76 key Stage 2 EX?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland PHA-4 Standard
by memtrix - 04/02/20 05:09 AM
Ellis Marsalis RIP
by dogperson - 04/02/20 03:33 AM
Damper and other issues
by D.P. - 04/01/20 11:35 PM
Open Studio Jazz classes are on sale
by newer player - 04/01/20 10:36 PM
Open Studio Jazz_classes on sale
by newer player - 04/01/20 10:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,857
Posts2,941,152
Members96,443
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission