2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, i´d like to know objetive differences between these key actions, pivot lenght, cosmetics issues, data sheets, pictures view inside an any data about these Roland DP key actions. Please opinions people of persons who have been personally try these keys preferable. If you've been able to compare these keys please share with us about which action is more smooth feeling, quicker action, heavier, noisier, realistic, confortable feeling, cosmetic feeling, sluggish, which has the hard bottoming out like PHA3, and other brands more comparable DP key actions. Thanks...!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It was reported in thread about FP 30, from Marko from Boston, that the only difference is the Premium uses a better Ebony-type of material for the black notes. Everything else appears the same.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by 36251
It was reported in thread about FP 30, from Marko from Boston, that the only difference is the Premium uses a better Ebony-type of material for the black notes. Everything else appears the same.

Surely this is not true. Did Marko from Boston really say that or just something like that? Because PHAIV Standard is the successor of Ivory G - a light weight, portable and cheap action which is OK but doesn't feel at all like a piano. On the other hand, PHAIV Premium (and Concert) succeeds (PHA ?), PHAII and PHAIII which are Roland's top of the line actions used, for example, on the $24999 (list price) V-Grand (PHAIII).

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Whoa, dont beat me up. I did not say that. I was just saying RD800 is different action than FP30, Standard vs. Concert. But I can see how my post can be taken wrong. My bad. Was just doing a cut-and-paste from Roland website with no further explanation. I believe Jay Roland went in detail in the differece between all the new Roland PHA4 actions in previous posts.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 01/26/16 12:00 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Marko - I had read the statement you've reposted just above and I did not take it to mean that the you claimed the actions were similar. In fact, quite the opposite - I took it to mean you were pointing out that they were quite different.

And even if you had said they were similar, I would not beat you up. Why should I want to do such a thing - even if I could, which is improbable? smile

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by toddy
Marko - I had read the statement you've reposted just above and I did not take it to mean that the you claimed the actions were similar. In fact, quite the opposite - I took it to mean you were pointing out that they were quite different.

And even if you had said they were similar, I would not beat you up. Why should I want to do such a thing - even if I could, which is improbable? smile

Thanks toddy, Just having fun with this thread!

This is one of the posts I was referring to that Jay Roland mentions the PHA4 differences:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2388909.html#Post2388909

and this one: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2389105/.html#Post2389105

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 01/26/16 12:53 PM.
F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi Marko, and thanks for your response, im looking for a portable DP with a heavier touch than my Kawai MP7 with RHII key action, for me this key action is amazing and similar to RD800 PHAIV Concert action, indeed they are more in the light side actions... but my MP7 is very heavy for gigs, and i have heard that the PHAIV standard key action is heavier than the concert version and Kawai RHII too, if true it interests me cause as I look for classical practice and the new Roland FP30 fit in that purpose perfectly. Thanks...!

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi toddy... is Roland PHAIV Standard a heavier action than Kawai AHA-IV? or Yamaha GH?... Thanks!...

G
G
Originally Posted by Fer De Armas
Hi toddy... is Roland PHAIV Standard a heavier action than Kawai AHA-IV? or Yamaha GH?... Thanks!...

It's heavier than GH3 for sure.

X
X

Yes, the PHAIV standard is heavier than those two actions

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi Garf, thanks for your quick response, and PHAIV Standard is heavier than Kawai RHII/RHIII actions? and heavier than PHAIV concert?...

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi xadmin, thanks for your quick response, and PHAIV Standard is heavier than Kawai RHII/RHIII actions? and heavier than PHAIV concert?...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Whoa, dont beat me up. I did not say that. I was just saying RD800 is different action than FP30, Standard vs. Concert. But I can see how my post can be taken wrong. My bad. Was just doing a cut-and-paste from Roland website with no further explanation. I believe Jay Roland went in detail in the differece between all the new Roland PHA4 actions in previous posts.

[Linked Image]
Sorry, as you can see the original email was a difference between Standard and Concert (not Premium.) My bad. But that does make me ask, how many PHA4 actions does Roland make? Kind of confusing, unless that's the intent.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by xadmin

Yes, the PHAIV standard is heavier than those two actions

If it was heavier than those two, I wouldnt have bought my FP50. So it cant be. Pure logic!

I tried em all out before buying. The LX7 was better. But Id had beans for tea so maybe my judgement was impaired. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
D
Toddy,
I own the Roland RP401R with PHAIV Standard , and though it may not be as good as the key beds on the higher end DP's, it does in fact feel like a piano.

I've played the high end Roland's and Kawai's, And quite a few APs in my life, and to make a sweeping statement like " doesn't feel at all like a piano" is just not correct. People are trying to make a decision on a good portable DP or a low price console DP for whatever reason, and that kind of statement doesn't help anyone.

I've played AP's and DP's that had terrible actions, but I wouldn't say they didn't feel like a piano, It just had an action I don't care for. IMHO, the PHAIV Standard action Is pretty decent for the money.

Kawai CA67- Kawai ES8 MIDI'ed to a Korg Kronos 61
F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
OK DonZon, thanks for your response...!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by DonZon
Toddy,
I own the Roland RP401R with PHAIV Standard , and though it may not be as good as the key beds on the higher end DP's, it does in fact feel like a piano.

I've played the high end Roland's and Kawai's, And quite a few APs in my life, and to make a sweeping statement like " doesn't feel at all like a piano" is just not correct. People are trying to make a decision on a good portable DP or a low price console DP for whatever reason, and that kind of statement doesn't help anyone.

I've played AP's and DP's that had terrible actions, but I wouldn't say they didn't feel like a piano, It just had an action I don't care for. IMHO, the PHAIV Standard action Is pretty decent for the money.

DonZon. I wasn't talking about PHAIV Standard. If you look at my post, you'll see it's a reference to Ivory-G which I really think is pretty good, but it's unlike any piano I've every played - just my experience though.

PHAIV Standard is another matter, and I agree with you that it's a big improvment and also that it's one of the best actions in a portable, lighter weight DP.

I also agree that most of DP keyboards are very reasonable simulations of grand piano actions. I'd go so far as to say that you'd have to spend a lot of money on an AP to match the 'grand piano-like' feel on the best actions from companies like Yamaha, Kawai and Roland. I certainly did not mean to talk down the PHAIV Standard - I think it's a pretty good keybaord - but it is still not of the same quality as PHAIV Premium and Concert - those are much better, as Yamaha GH/GH3 are much better than Yamaha GHS

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, is PHAIV Standard equal or better than the old PHAIII action in the thumping and hard bottoming out typical defect?, is better this new action for classical pieces movement?...Thnks!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, is PHAIV Standard equal or better than the old PHAIII action in the thumping and hard bottoming out typical defect?,

I only tried PHAIV (the various types)a couploe of times and would say that they are less thumpy and do not bottom out as hard as PHAIII

...is better this new action for classical pieces movement?...Thnks!

PHAIII is much better than PHAIV Standard for jazz and classical IMHO - others may well disagree.

PHAIV Premium and Concert are completely different and are comparable to PHAIII (though personally I prefer the older 'hard bottoming out' keyboards)

Last edited by toddy; 01/26/16 05:27 PM.

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Ok toddy thanks, and how compare against Kawai RHII/RHIII key actions?...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission