2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

I do tend to think I will never be able to do that, thinking I must be "realistic" as I middle aged with small stubby clumsy hands- heck I still even type with two fingers!

Funny you should mention the typing with two fingers thing. I have a friend who does the same thing but has incredible dexterity when it comes to painting miniature figures. He can paint super thin, controlled lines and create some really impressive effects, but put him at a computer and he looks like an angry monkey. I guess what I'm saying is that you can be dexterous at an activity regardless of typing technique. And personally I don't feel like my piano playing or typing has influenced the either all that much!

Go you! What are you learning at the moment?

Well, nothing as impressive as I probably made myself sound, haha. My teacher has me working through a method book (Belwin book 5) and we just finished getting Moonlight Sonata 2nd movement up to a reasonable tempo and getting the connections to happen. Prior to that, it was the 1st movement (which is still far from perfect). I asked my teacher about starting the 3rd movement and he advised that we should wait a bit until I get some better abilities in terms of raw speed. So last week we started on a David Nevue (While the Trees Sleep).

Again, nothing all that impressive! And I probably came across pretty arrogant in my previous comment. I just think that human beings are truly incredible and usually only limited by our own resignations, not so much our age.

"Today you are the perfect age to chase your dream." - Jon Acuff
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Funny you should mention the typing with two fingers thing. I have a friend who does the same thing but has incredible dexterity when it comes to painting miniature figures. He can paint super thin, controlled lines and create some really impressive effects, but put him at a computer and he looks like an angry monkey. I guess what I'm saying is that you can be dexterous at an activity regardless of typing technique. And personally I don't feel like my piano playing or typing has influenced the either all that much!

Your friend sounds very artistic. Funny, I type with just the two fingers yet managed a university dissertation typing like that and write some fiction. But creating music for me might be different- who knows! I can play relatively fast arpeggios but my fingers are definitely not in the right positions.

Well, nothing as impressive as I probably made myself sound, haha. My teacher has me working through a method book (Belwin book 5) and we just finished getting Moonlight Sonata 2nd movement up to a reasonable tempo and getting the connections to happen. Prior to that, it was the 1st movement (which is still far from perfect). I asked my teacher about starting the 3rd movement and he advised that we should wait a bit until I get some better abilities in terms of raw speed. So last week we started on a David Nevue (While the Trees Sleep).

That is impressive for 8 months' learning.

Again, nothing all that impressive! And I probably came across pretty arrogant in my previous comment. I just think that human beings are truly incredible and usually only limited by our own resignations, not so much our age.

No you didn't- you come across as dedicated and confident! smile

R
R
There is a great YouTube video by a guy who's channel is called "Bach Scholar." He plays the third movement at five different tempos. By playing it very slowly, he showed me how to make sense of it. Now it just seems hard and attainable instead of impossible and mysterious.

M
M
Regarding the first movement, which took me about 6 months (with an almost year break between months 3 and 4) to get to the point where I can play the notes with an occasional glance at the score to remind myself, and where I can get some of the dynamics correct, what is the consensus on the sustain pedal?

After some experimentation, what I prefer is holding the pedal until striking the first note of the next measure and then releasing/re-applying it. At least to my ear, that gives me a steady continuous sound throughout. I've heard some advocate for an almost constant use of the pedal, some argue for half-sustain, etc.

R
R
According to Chang ( best book I've read about piano technique) the pedal was to be held throughout. However, pianos have gotten better and better. On a Steinway, for instance, holding the pedal down continuously turns the piece to mush. I agree with your interpretation about the release and repeat with each measure, except in a few select places, the locations of which escape me right now.

W
W
Originally Posted by KeemaNan
I've always thought of this piece as belonging to the super-difficult, virtuoso repertoire. It sounds fiendishly difficult, and incredibly impressive. I've often seen it cited here as a piece that people dream of being able to play one day. I well remember a few years ago, browsing the sheet music in my favourite music shop when somebody trying out a piano hammered out a flawless, barnstorming, performance of it that left me absolutely stunned (and with a severely reduced appetite for the early-intermediate fare I was browsing in the search for something new to play).

Back in the same shop today, I picked up the latest edition of Pianist, and noticed that this movement is included in the score section. I was almost as stunned as I was on that day years ago to see that the piece is marked 'Intermediate/Advanced' (NOT 'Advanced') ! I quote from the comments at the top of
the score - "Don't be put off by the presto tempo... if you practice it carefully, building up the tempo ever so slowly, you will reach a lively tempo in no time.".

Could this really be an 'Intermediate/Advanced' piece, and hence accessible to ordinary mortals in general and Adult Beginners in particular ? I'd love to read any thoughts on this, especially if you've had a go at playing it.

I am a new poster here on the Piano World forums, and I happened on this old thread as a result of a search using the terms "beethoven moonlight 3rd". And, after reading through the thread, I thought I would add my own comment.

First of all, my musical background: I am a completely self-taught musician; almost 54-years-old, but have tinkered on the piano for probably about 35 years or so, without (until very lately) making a concerted effort to really play well. That said, I have steadily acquired a fairly good knowledge of music theory, and have been composing my own works for many years.

As for Beethoven's so-called "Moonlight Sonata" (a name given to the piece not by Beethoven, but by someone else writing about the piece many years after Beethoven's death), I have always been familiar with the 1st movement, which probably most people have heard without even knowing its origins. I have recently fallen in love with the entire sonata. Well, that's not entirely true. I really, really like the 1st and 3rd movements. The 2nd movement is ... well, let's just say that I can take it or leave it, and will probably only learn it in the end in order to be able to say I can play the entire piece -- all three movements.

Anyway, I started learning to play the 1st movement the 1st of May of this year. I had it memorized within a week, but it took the better part of the month to get to the point where I felt I was really achieving a decent degree of expression. I am still playing it through at least once or twice a day as I have moved on to the 3rd movement, which I have been working on for about a month now.

Is the 3rd movement difficult/advanced? I would say that, in terms of "learning the notes," it is not super difficult. It takes the basic chords/progressions from the 1st movement and turns them into fast arpeggios, extended scale runs, and lots of octaves. Plus, once you learn it to the "repeat", you've essentially learned over 3/4 of the piece, since that theme (or parts of it) is repeated not just once, but no fewer than seven times during the course of the movement (although there is a key change in the middle of the piece -- everything moves up a 4th).

In any event, I am making good progress, but I can foresee that it will require several more months of work before I will feel that I have truly "mastered" the piece. Why so long? Because, in my opinion, there is a big difference between learning how to just play the notes of this piece and really learning how to perform it the way it ought to sound.

In other words (and I don't intend to disparage any individual with the following comparison), there is, in my judgment, a HUGE difference between learning to play the piece this well:

Beethoven Piano Sonata #14 - 3rd Movement - Sample 1

And learning to play the piece this well:

Beethoven Piano Sonata #14 - 3rd Movement - Sample 2

I also noted that someone linked above to Valentina Lisitsa's performance of the piece. I love to watch her play it, and have done so many, many times -- just because I so much enjoy watching the fingers of her left hand dancing on the keys. Even so, in my opinion, she plays the thing too fast. It's impressive, in a way. But it also almost comes across as a parody at times (although not as badly as does Glenn Gould's ridiculous rendition of it).

Anyway, my bottom line conclusion: the 3rd movement can be learned by any truly dedicated pianist. That said, I consider it to be one of those pieces whose performance really separates the "technically accomplished" from the "artist". No doubt that is why it has been in the repertoire of so many of the world's greatest pianists over the course of the 200+ years since Beethoven composed it. It is very challenging to master it. And, in my opinion, after listening to many dozens of unique performances of it over the course of the past several weeks, very few people ever really have mastered it, including many very notable concert pianists, living and dead.

Last edited by William Schryver; 07/09/14 01:00 PM.
@William: the tempo is Presto Agitato, or "very fast and agitated." Beethoven wanted it to be played ridiculously fast, as Valentina does.

"If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis."

"If life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life'll be all like whaaaaaat?" - Phil Dunphy
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
+1 on the presto agitato...
I like Perahia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=352qLWqKN-U
or Goode http://youtu.be/hL0fTewN4S4?t=7m55s

I'm not going to enter in the discussion too deeply but it's, as matter of fact, much easier that what it sound like especially if somebody has been trained in a traditional manner doing plenty of scales and arpeggios... and falls very, very very nicely under the fingers.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by William Schryver
Originally Posted by KeemaNan
I've always thought of this piece as belonging to the super-difficult, virtuoso repertoire. It sounds fiendishly difficult, and incredibly impressive. I've often seen it cited here as a piece that people dream of being able to play one day. I well remember a few years ago, browsing the sheet music in my favourite music shop when somebody trying out a piano hammered out a flawless, barnstorming, performance of it that left me absolutely stunned (and with a severely reduced appetite for the early-intermediate fare I was browsing in the search for something new to play).

Back in the same shop today, I picked up the latest edition of Pianist, and noticed that this movement is included in the score section. I was almost as stunned as I was on that day years ago to see that the piece is marked 'Intermediate/Advanced' (NOT 'Advanced') ! I quote from the comments at the top of
the score - "Don't be put off by the presto tempo... if you practice it carefully, building up the tempo ever so slowly, you will reach a lively tempo in no time.".

Could this really be an 'Intermediate/Advanced' piece, and hence accessible to ordinary mortals in general and Adult Beginners in particular ? I'd love to read any thoughts on this, especially if you've had a go at playing it.

I am a new poster here on the Piano World forums, and I happened on this old thread as a result of a search using the terms "beethoven moonlight 3rd". And, after reading through the thread, I thought I would add my own comment.

First of all, my musical background: I am a completely self-taught musician; almost 54-years-old, but have tinkered on the piano for probably about 35 years or so, without (until very lately) making a concerted effort to really play well. That said, I have steadily acquired a fairly good knowledge of music theory, and have been composing my own works for many years.

As for Beethoven's so-called "Moonlight Sonata" (a name given to the piece not by Beethoven, but by someone else writing about the piece many years after Beethoven's death), I have always been familiar with the 1st movement, which probably most people have heard without even knowing its origins. I have recently fallen in love with the entire sonata. Well, that's not entirely true. I really, really like the 1st and 3rd movements. The 2nd movement is ... well, let's just say that I can take it or leave it, and will probably only learn it in the end in order to be able to say I can play the entire piece -- all three movements.

Anyway, I started learning to play the 1st movement the 1st of May of this year. I had it memorized within a week, but it took the better part of the month to get to the point where I felt I was really achieving a decent degree of expression. I am still playing it through at least once or twice a day as I have moved on to the 3rd movement, which I have been working on for about a month now.

Is the 3rd movement difficult/advanced? I would say that, in terms of "learning the notes," it is not super difficult. It takes the basic chords/progressions from the 1st movement and turns them into fast arpeggios, extended scale runs, and lots of octaves. Plus, once you learn it to the "repeat", you've essentially learned over 3/4 of the piece, since that theme (or parts of it) is repeated not just once, but no fewer than seven times during the course of the movement (although there is a key change in the middle of the piece -- everything moves up a 4th).

In any event, I am making good progress, but I can foresee that it will require several more months of work before I will feel that I have truly "mastered" the piece. Why so long? Because, in my opinion, there is a big difference between learning how to just play the notes of this piece and really learning how to perform it the way it ought to sound.

In other words (and I don't intend to disparage any individual with the following comparison), there is, in my judgment, a HUGE difference between learning to play the piece this well:

Beethoven Piano Sonata #14 - 3rd Movement - Sample 1

And learning to play the piece this well:

Beethoven Piano Sonata #14 - 3rd Movement - Sample 2

I also noted that someone linked above to Valentina Lisitsa's performance of the piece. I love to watch her play it, and have done so many, many times -- just because I so much enjoy watching the fingers of her left hand dancing on the keys. Even so, in my opinion, she plays the thing too fast. It's impressive, in a way. But it also almost comes across as a parody at times (although not as badly as does Glenn Gould's ridiculous rendition of it).

Anyway, my bottom line conclusion: the 3rd movement can be learned by any truly dedicated pianist. That said, I consider it to be one of those pieces whose performance really separates the "technically accomplished" from the "artist". No doubt that is why it has been in the repertoire of so many of the world's greatest pianists over the course of the 200+ years since Beethoven composed it. It is very challenging to master it. And, in my opinion, after listening to many dozens of unique performances of it over the course of the past several weeks, very few people ever really have mastered it, including many very notable concert pianists, living and dead.

You probably mean well, but let's watch the high-brow. Cory Hall is a good pianist. As for Andre Watts, I think everyone will agree he is world-class. That said, I actually don't like his playing of the Moonlight. Never have.

Will you post a recording when you've learned it? I've heard hundreds, if not thousands of renditions of the piece, and performed it myself at one time, and I would like to have a listen.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
W
W
Originally Posted by Art_Vandelay
@William: the tempo is Presto Agitato, or "very fast and agitated." Beethoven wanted it to be played ridiculously fast, as Valentina does.

I should probably have qualified my statement more than I did.

I think Valentina plays it just a bit too fast. The Andre Watts version I posted is only (iirc) about 15 seconds longer than Valentina's. For me, that makes a big difference.

And don't get me wrong, I think Lisista's version is stunning. Just a bit too fast, in my estimation.

N
N
Moonlight Sonata movement three is intermediate-advanced?! Wow, I bet fantasie-impromptu is only "intermediate" and turkish march is "easy".

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission