2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
32 members (clothearednincompo, Calavera, CyberGene, CraiginNZ, chopinetto, AprilE, ColoRodney, Eli26, chih-wei, 8 invisible), 392 guests, and 440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Someone please shoot me!
#2501865 01/19/16 11:11 AM
E
OP Offline
E
OK, I don't know when I should stop posting in the Adult Beginner's forum. After 3 years and having completed Alfred's Adult for Beginners levels 1, 2, and 3 my teacher got me Alfred Jazz/Rock Level 1 and 2 which is to be used after Alfred Basic Level 1B. On the book hierarchy chart, the Adult Beginner is the last book, the new Jazz/Rock books are almost at the top. I feel I should be able to sight-read these new books; they seem very simple and actually targeted to children. BUT, I still have to practice and learn them. All the short pieces are in the key of C. Each piece has accompaniment at the bottom of each page for the teacher (or an advanced student) to play along. I can't even come close to playing the accompaniment with the left while playing the melody with the right. This is so frustrating, because I can play one of the last pieces in Alfred Adult Level 3, Toccata in D Minor, the non-simplified version. What am I missing here?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Someone please shoot me!
eighty80eights8s #2501870 01/19/16 11:23 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not aware of your history, so some questions:

- do you have a piano teacher?
- are you practicing songs that you love?

You neeeeed to be learning songs that you love in parallel with technical development.
Or, well, you won't get that love back from the piano.

Sight reading fluently just takes a long long long time. I've given up reading standard notation fluently. I can the weird piano roll notation I've come up with fluently, though.

And don't worry about being a non-beginner in the adult beginner forum. This is just the best forum period. No need to be an adult or a beginner. That's more of a "general recommendation". There are some people in this forum who in no way can be categorized as a beginner and that's perfectly cool by me.

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
eighty80eights8s #2501884 01/19/16 12:11 PM

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
It tells me your teacher is listening to you, providing you with rock/jazz material you wished for, and providing you with something at your level. Eventually we all get there. Learning slowly in the beginning is good and the best way to go; and you are very much at the beginning. Three years is nothing. You should not compare yourself to all those people on the Internet playing Chopin in their first year. Who knows what kind of program they are following. Just do what your teacher gives you. You'll do fine and make slow and meaningful gains. By 5-6 years, you'll get into the intermediate stuff and by 10 years you'll begin to touch what you started piano for. It is what it is, and there's no changing this time table for the average human. Recall (in another thread) you said your teacher had to spoon feed you the first 3 Alfred series books. She knows where you're at.

Oh, by the way, consider yourself shot! Now get back on the bench and keep practicing. grin

eighty80eights8s #2501886 01/19/16 12:25 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The answer to your first question… "I don't know when to stop posting in the adult beginners forum" is…. never.

It's safe here… smile

8 Octaves #2501889 01/19/16 12:46 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
It tells me your teacher is listening to you, providing you with rock/jazz material you wished for, and providing you with something at your level. Eventually we all get there. Learning slowly in the beginning is good and the best way to go; and you are very much at the beginning. Three years is nothing. You should not compare yourself to all those people on the Internet playing Chopin in their first year. Who knows what kind of program they are following. Just do what your teacher gives you. You'll do fine and make slow and meaningful gains. By 5-6 years, you'll get into the intermediate stuff and by 10 years you'll begin to touch what you started piano for. It is what it is, and there's no changing this time table for the average human. Recall (in another thread) you said your teacher had to spoon feed you the first 3 Alfred series books. She knows where you're at.

Oh, by the way, consider yourself shot! Now get back on the bench and keep practicing. grin

+1

It cannot be explained any better than this.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
eighty80eights8s #2502030 01/19/16 09:28 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You can post here as long as you want.

Learner

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ravenscroft Help
by Grandman - 11/30/20 10:36 PM
loudness/projection vs. bright/mellow
by Piano Math - 11/30/20 08:19 PM
Growing up with an Acoustic Piano
by Deltajockey - 11/30/20 07:35 PM
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,174
Posts3,029,099
Members99,438
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission