Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
77 registered members (7uturu, Beakybird, Animisha, Cheshire Chris, Alex C, 20 invisible), 1,136 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Attracting new students #2499230
01/11/16 04:07 PM
01/11/16 04:07 PM
Toronto, Ontario
P
Peter K. Mose Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
P

Toronto, Ontario
For those of you with a studio website, has it become an effective tool in generating worthy student inquiries? Have you also enhanced its web status, via search engine optimization?

For those of you without a website, what means of paid advertising have you found effective (if any)?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499284
01/11/16 06:19 PM
01/11/16 06:19 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
My website is absolutely useless. Most of my colleagues in the immediate area would agree.

Word of mouth is the most powerful tool. I got to where I am today because parents do talk to each other. The problem is that the wrong message got out, so I get these calls from people who can't pass tests or on the brink of failing tests, and I'm supposed to miraculously be able to make them play piano "correctly." It's frustrating dealing with these people, but it's not a bad problem to have, considering the alternate, which is getting no calls at all.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499370
01/11/16 11:37 PM
01/11/16 11:37 PM
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Arghhh  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I got all of my initial students by putting in a free ad on kijiji. I had a few ads that I renewed periodically so that one would always be closer to the first page of ads. I took down my ads in November because I was full.

I also paid for membership in ARMTA (Alberta music teacher's association) hoping to pick up some students through their online listing. I was hoping to pick up some more serious students (you have to have some teaching qualifications to be a member) but I've only had one person contact me and that didn't work out.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499379
01/12/16 12:09 AM
01/12/16 12:09 AM
California, USA
M
musicpassion Offline
2000 Post Club Member
musicpassion  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
M

California, USA
So far my web page has been useless. I do think it could be a sucessful part of a larger marketing plan, however. I just haven't had the time to carry out the larger plan.

Word of mouth is the most powerful advertising.

I do have some students that found me though my studio facebook page.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499398
01/12/16 01:27 AM
01/12/16 01:27 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
One strategy that a local music school uses is to offer sibling discounts. Pretty steep discounts. Also, offer free lessons to your current students if their parents can refer new students to your studio.

Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499409
01/12/16 02:23 AM
01/12/16 02:23 AM
guess where in CA and WA
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member
laguna_greg  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

guess where in CA and WA
My students have found Craig's List ads to be a very good tool for them. They also have web sites, and they use the CL ad to generate click-throughs to the web site. If they get a click-through, they usually get an email query.

A couple of them have done targeted direct mail to school kids, and that works even better. But it has to be part of a larger marketing plan including a studio web site.

Laguna Greg

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/greg-dempster/34/325/6b9/ (my day job)
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499413
01/12/16 02:39 AM
01/12/16 02:39 AM
P
pianofan1017 Offline
pianofan1017  Offline
P

I found my current teacher through her studio website because she is the only teacher out in the great Houston that prepares students for ABRSM exams. Most of other teachers in Houston only does national guild or maybe federal gold cup exam. At least no other ABRSM teacher in Houston advertised online.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499448
01/12/16 06:21 AM
01/12/16 06:21 AM
Germany
H
Hendrik42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hendrik42  Offline
500 Post Club Member
H

Germany
Speaking as a parent/adult beginner, I think after word of mouth, the most important thing is to be listed in a way that interested parties can find you related to their geography.

Do you show up in google maps, apple maps, etc. Some teachers do.

Would google find you if once searched "piano teacher <town>"? From there, would it be easy to find the address of your studio? A homepage can achieve this, but some directory listings could do as well.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499476
01/12/16 08:49 AM
01/12/16 08:49 AM
Philadelphia, PA
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Philadelphia, PA
I wonder if one can actually tell how useful/useless a teacher's website may be. My guess is that nowadays people who hear of a teacher through word of mouth are likely to go check out the website as well. The teacher might not hear about this.

I'm not sure I've told my own teacher that I look at his website now and then. I like to see if he's got performances coming up or whatnot. Anyway, I do think there's value in having an online presence--though I know that keeping up a website can be a pain.

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:​
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Sinding, Frühlingsrauschen (Rustle of Spring)
Beethoven, Sonata no. 14 in C# minor (Moonlight)
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Arghhh] #2499493
01/12/16 10:43 AM
01/12/16 10:43 AM
Saskatchewan
Allysia Offline
Allysia  Offline

Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by Arghhh
I got all of my initial students by putting in a free ad on kijiji. I had a few ads that I renewed periodically so that one would always be closer to the first page of ads. I took down my ads in November because I was full.

I also paid for membership in ARMTA (Alberta music teacher's association) hoping to pick up some students through their online listing. I was hoping to pick up some more serious students (you have to have some teaching qualifications to be a member) but I've only had one person contact me and that didn't work out.

Hello fellow prairie dweller (I'm over in Saskatchewan)!

I did the same thing - joined SRMTA - but so far that has given me 0 students, where as Kijiji postings have brought in about 5 (and I live in a small town now. In Toronto, virtually all of my students came from Kijiji).

As for the original question about a studio website - I bet that kind of thing would be more useful in a major centre, but so far, for me, it has been completely useless in getting students.

Allysia @pianotv.net
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499504
01/12/16 11:45 AM
01/12/16 11:45 AM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

The Heart of Screenland
I'm sort of looking for a teacher here in L.A. I'm trying to stay in my local area as opposed to driving out of my west side neighborhood. As such, the tool i'm using is putting "piano teacher" as a search term into google maps. Most of the hits are start-up studios run by young adults. What I don't find is any correlation between quality of website and quality of teaching.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Attracting new students [Re: KurtZ] #2499537
01/12/16 01:26 PM
01/12/16 01:26 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Most of the hits are start-up studios run by young adults. What I don't find is any correlation between quality of website and quality of teaching.

I certainly won't discount a teacher for being a young adult. Younger teachers tend to have a more optimistic outlook and eager personality.

And, other than actually having lessons with the said individuals, how do you evaluate the quality of teaching?

Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499566
01/12/16 03:24 PM
01/12/16 03:24 PM
M
MaggieGirl Offline
500 Post Club Member
MaggieGirl  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

I am seeing a lot more people posting on local facebook pages looking for teachers and tutors. There are things like private parent pages, buy and sell pages, parenting, local activities etc. One person asks if anyone knows of a piano teacher and names and rates are called out as well as lesson location.

Maybe you can ask friends to ask the question, let you know where they posted and send you a link so you can respond. It's not quite...."honest" but there is a lot of visible activity that way. It also sounds like a lot of work, but a copy and paste over 6-8 weeks would be free advertising.

Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499871
01/13/16 01:27 PM
01/13/16 01:27 PM
Toronto, Ontario
P
Peter K. Mose Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
Peter K. Mose  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
P

Toronto, Ontario
I thought Craig's List was an idiotic place to find a worthy piano teacher. And I put up a notice there saying so. This brought me a wonderful, enduring student. Go figure.

Maybe those bulletin boards in supermarkets were not a bad thing, though they seem to be on their way out.

Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499882
01/13/16 01:38 PM
01/13/16 01:38 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I thought Craig's List was an idiotic place to find a worthy piano teacher. And I put up a notice there saying so. This brought me a wonderful, enduring student. Go figure.

Maybe those bulletin boards in supermarkets were not a bad thing, though they seem to be on their way out.

Do you network through current students, or are they so hopeless that you're seeking alternative channels of acquiring students?

In my experience, students who come through anything other than word-of-mouth referrals don't tend to stay in lessons as long. Most quit within 3 months of lessons.

If you want to attract a large body of students, you may have to resort to doing RCM and teaching to the syllabus.

Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2499972
01/13/16 05:20 PM
01/13/16 05:20 PM
Hawaii
T
TheHappyPianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member
TheHappyPianoMuse  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Hawaii
Word of mouth. You have to be patient but this is the way to build up your studio. And it works in the same way as a successful website. Exponentially. You start with one or two and then in a couple of years may be in a position to limit how many students you can take.

But you must be a damned good teacher to get these references. And have a few students who are evidence of your teaching. No one is impressed by a child stumbling through a Grade 1 or 2 piece. And if your students love you and their lessons, then that word of mouth is pretty powerful. laugh

Re: Attracting new students [Re: AZNpiano] #2500063
01/14/16 12:20 AM
01/14/16 12:20 AM
The Heart of Screenland
K
KurtZ Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KurtZ  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
K

The Heart of Screenland
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Most of the hits are start-up studios run by young adults. What I don't find is any correlation between quality of website and quality of teaching.

I certainly won't discount a teacher for being a young adult. Younger teachers tend to have a more optimistic outlook and eager personality.

And, other than actually having lessons with the said individuals, how do you evaluate the quality of teaching?

Most teachers are younger than I am. What I mean by young is that they mostly seem to be new start ups with a couple of young teachers who still seem to be pursuing performance gigs and who emphasize having fun and learning to play pop, self-accompany, vocal coaching etc.

A few years ago I would have been impressed by a teacher with a snazzy web site who shared their teaching philosophy. Now not so much. I'm 57 and have had around 10-12 music teachers on 5 different instruments. You're right of course that the only way to know how a teacher teaches is to take some lessons from them. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Re: Attracting new students [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2500081
01/14/16 02:03 AM
01/14/16 02:03 AM
Vancouver BC
T
The Monkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
The Monkeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Vancouver BC
It hurts to read threads like this.

When I said
Originally Posted by The Monkeys
Being great at art and/or teaching doesn't necessarily take care of the rest, many good piano teachers struggles.

Being a successful piano teacher needs skills in 3 different areas : music, teaching and business, perhaps in reverse order.

The response was like :

I hope not!

and

Well, now that the priorities are clear, one can shelve the advice in the proper spot, according to priorities. laugh Thank you for clearing that up.

I believe OP is a good teacher, based on his contributions to this forum, and with decades of experience. Yet he has to ask question like this, it can't be due to lack of technical skills.

Re: Attracting new students [Re: The Monkeys] #2500086
01/14/16 03:01 AM
01/14/16 03:01 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
I believe OP is a good teacher, based on his contributions to this forum, and with decades of experience. Yet he has to ask question like this, it can't be due to lack of technical skills.

I believe you are making an assumption. Make that two assumptions.

Re: Attracting new students [Re: The Monkeys] #2500121
01/14/16 05:45 AM
01/14/16 05:45 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
It hurts to read threads like this.

When I said
Being great at art and/or teaching doesn't necessarily take care of the rest, many good piano teachers struggles.

Being a successful piano teacher needs skills in 3 different areas : music, teaching and business, perhaps in reverse order.

The response was like :

I hope not!

and

Well, now that the priorities are clear, one can shelve the advice in the proper spot, according to priorities. laugh Thank you for clearing that up.

You are assuming, aren't you, this question was asked because of some struggle or lack of business skills? It should not hurt you to see this question asked, as this forum is for an exchange of ideas. No assumptions of a 'struggle' or lack of business skills should be made by you or anyone else.. . More likely it is just the underlying question of whether to invest more money in an ongoing web page or if there are better thoughts from those that teach.

No one has the right to assume the intent of the question in a negative way.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano marvel vs playground sessions?
by chongjasmine. 03/26/19 05:50 AM
Lifting the CA98
by iLogic. 03/26/19 02:58 AM
How much is this piano worth
by humble_pianist. 03/25/19 05:49 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,130
Posts2,810,920
Members92,879
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission