2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (CyberGene, aphexdisklavier, AndrewJCW, DSC, Boboulus, Flygbladet, Chriz, EB5AGV, 9 invisible), 502 guests, and 461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Award ideas for recital. Good or bad?
#2498945 01/10/16 03:46 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone, I have come up with this new system of using "piano dollars" to earn points for my students. For instance, when they practice at least four times that week, I give them 5 dollars. If they perform, I give them 20 or if they learn a piece on their own I give them 10. At the upcoming recital, whoever has the most piano dollars wins pianist of the year trophy (with there being three different age groups so three different trophies).

It is inspiring my students to practice and do many more ambitious things at the piano but I worry that they focus on earning the money too much. Every lesson, they count how much they have and ask how much other students have, which I don't want to tell them because I want the winners to be a surprise.

I am mostly afraid that when the recital comes along, those who didn't win will be extremely disappointed, maybe so much that it might discourage them from continuing to play.

Please let me know know what you think of this reward system! Thanks!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Award ideas for recital. Good or bad?
DagnyTaggart83 #2498952 01/10/16 04:25 PM
R
R
I think it's a bad idea from a psychological perspective. In psychology, we distinguish between internal and external motivation. Piano students are usually internally motivated (i.e., they want to learn and practice). When you now add external motivation, it tends to increase motivation, which is what you are looking for, but in the long run it replaces the internal motivation. Hence, once your dollar incentives are removed, these students might no longer be internally motivated to practice.

rollsomedice #2498967 01/10/16 05:04 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rollsomedice
I think it's a bad idea from a psychological perspective. In psychology, we distinguish between internal and external motivation. Piano students are usually internally motivated (i.e., they want to learn and practice). When you now add external motivation, it tends to increase motivation, which is what you are looking for, but in the long run it replaces the internal motivation. Hence, once your dollar incentives are removed, these students might no longer be internally motivated to practice.

I agree it is not a good idea however haven't you already set the precedent by starting the PianoBucks promo, and telling them trophies will be awarded? These students now have a prize expectation.

If you do give trophies, which I don't see how you can now avoid, I would not engrave them with anything that implies excellence such as Pianist of the Year, but make them specific to high PianoBucks winner, and maybe add a small piano-related item such as new music, practice diary, dictionary, etc.

If you have not announced trophies, I would issue certificates and a music-related item. Don't see how you can avoid a prize.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
DagnyTaggart83 #2499038 01/10/16 10:04 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it's a bad idea. It gives people funny ideas about what "Art" and "Music" are really all about. Also, it's going to create some false expectations in both the students and parents about who is going to "win", already a dubious and entirely subjective notion. Only one person can "win" at a time, so there are going to be lots and lots of "losers", and they'll each think they "lost" for the wrong and very individual reasons. Also, a person can "win" that trophy as you describe it while performing very badly or woodenly at the recital. That is not something you should want to encourage.

You really want to set up that dynamic in your studio?

DagnyTaggart83 #2499072 01/11/16 01:06 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Make this award be a one-time thing. Link everyone's achievements to their increased practice so that you are using the benefits of this extrinsically motivated award (more practice gives me a nice trophy) to hopefully be a catalyst for something more intrinsically related (more practice makes me better at playing my pieces, or, lessons are more fun when we don't have to do the same thing over and over because I didn't practice them).

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
DagnyTaggart83 #2499092 01/11/16 03:24 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
There is a segment of the student population that relies on "reward system" in order to continue taking piano lessons. You might want to identify these students and run a separate recital just for them.

And it's not a good idea to place them in normal recitals, anyway. They tend to dampen the atmosphere (in more ways than one!) and, no matter how awesome the other students play, they won't even notice the difference. Heck, since I don't dole out rewards, anyway, I simply don't let these kids play in recitals. I don't even tell them that I'm having recitals. Their parents probably won't notice, either.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
DagnyTaggart83 #2499152 01/11/16 08:59 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Dagny, I think every element of your reward system sounds effective except for the part where the students (and parents) compete against each other.
Reward systems are very powerful for elementary age kids. Sometimes for middle schoolers too but it really depends on the kid.
I'd eliminate the competitive aspect. I can't think of a way to include reward-giving in the recital that doesn't invite competition in some way. But definitely during the lessons it could be useful. Maybe for every 100 dollars they can choose a little toy or save up for 500 for a bigger reward.
Or maybe when the whole studio gets to 5000 combined you can throw them a party.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
DagnyTaggart83 #2499165 01/11/16 10:37 AM
I actually really like the piano dollar idea, and I have a couple ideas on how I would approach it. At my last recital (Christmas), I gave every performer an individualized certificate. I came up with half a dozen categories, and every student took home an award that highlighted their best skill/achievement in my opinion (some of them received the same award).

You could always give everyone a prize of some kind, including a trophy for the most piano dollars like you said. Other kids can get prizes for their own individual achievements, while others get the piano dollar prize. That way everyone walks away with something, but there's still a little bit of extrinsic motivation for some students.

I know not all kids are competitive, but I sure was. I don't think I would have practiced if it were not for competitions!

Allysia @pianotv.net
DagnyTaggart83 #2499185 01/11/16 11:47 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
You might find this article interesting... particularly the variety of practice award certificates that can be issued

http://www.practicespot.com/

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
DagnyTaggart83 #2499186 01/11/16 11:48 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I think it's a bad idea as it could easily result in hurt feelings. My son and I are both pretty sensitive and I could see how awards given could backfire and be demotivating. One thing my son loves however is private notes that my son's teacher writes to him (i.e Christmas). He absolutely adores them and he can't even wait until after the lesson is over to open them as they mean so much to him.

Yamaha G2
DagnyTaggart83 #2499189 01/11/16 11:57 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'd set up something that they could "buy" with their bucks. Like cookies or pencils or stickers. That way kids with lots of bucks could by stuff for other kids or for their parents.

Learner
DagnyTaggart83 #2499195 01/11/16 12:28 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I am with Heather, I like the the piano bucks/points idea but not the competitive element. With piano buck system you can let them to use the piano buck to buy stuffs. With the piano point system, you can set mile stones, and a student can get some rewards once they reach a certain milestone.

But again, it all depends on the age of the student.

For young kids under 10, the system could work well.

For kids over 12, I don't think it would be effective at all.

Between 10 to 12, it will depends on the individual students.

The Monkeys #2499376 01/11/16 11:04 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Monkeys

What is your reasoning?

keystring #2499397 01/12/16 12:25 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
From my own experience.

I volunteer at our church's Sunday school, which has few hundred kids ranging from kindergarten to grade 12.

We use Bible bulks for grade 2 to grade 5, which is 8 to 11 old, to encourage them to learn. We have a Bible Bulk store with all sort of items, they can spend them on small items, or save up for some more significant items.

Over the years, you can see, almost invariably, the little ones are so excited about the Bible bulks, and the ones in grade 5 hardly care.

The Monkeys #2499399 01/12/16 12:28 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
and the ones in grade 5 hardly cares.

They probably don't want to be there in the first place! Sounds like most piano students.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
AZNpiano #2499404 01/12/16 12:55 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
and the ones in grade 5 hardly cares.

They probably don't want to be there in the first place! Sounds like most piano students.

Actually most of them are super exited to move to the next grade 6-7) group. They just don't want to be associated with the younger kids anymore.

dogperson #2499727 01/13/16 12:10 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by dogperson
[quote=rollsomedice]

If you do give trophies, which I don't see how you can now avoid, I would not engrave them with anything that implies excellence such as Pianist of the Year, but make them specific to high PianoBucks winner, and maybe add a small piano-related item such as new music, practice diary, dictionary, etc.

I agree! It is insulting to the others who have worked so hard if there is a "pianist of the year" award! I will call it something else.

laguna_greg #2499729 01/13/16 12:12 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
I think it's a bad idea. It gives people funny ideas about what "Art" and "Music" are really all about. Also, it's going to create some false expectations in both the students and parents about who is going to "win", already a dubious and entirely subjective notion. Only one person can "win" at a time, so there are going to be lots and lots of "losers", and they'll each think they "lost" for the wrong and very individual reasons. Also, a person can "win" that trophy as you describe it while performing very badly or woodenly at the recital. That is not something you should want to encourage.

You really want to set up that dynamic in your studio?

I thought about that too --- what if a student wins who isn't the best at piano...That would be awkward! I have some talented students who are behind on piano dollars because they were away on vacations or something.

Allysia #2499732 01/13/16 12:14 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Allysia
I actually really like the piano dollar idea, and I have a couple ideas on how I would approach it. At my last recital (Christmas), I gave every performer an individualized certificate. I came up with half a dozen categories, and every student took home an award that highlighted their best skill/achievement in my opinion (some of them received the same award).

You could always give everyone a prize of some kind, including a trophy for the most piano dollars like you said. Other kids can get prizes for their own individual achievements, while others get the piano dollar prize. That way everyone walks away with something, but there's still a little bit of extrinsic motivation for some students.

I know not all kids are competitive, but I sure was. I don't think I would have practiced if it were not for competitions!

That is a great idea -- though I have 40 students. It is difficult to give prizes and awards to all of them. I did think about that, though: that each student has their own particular talent that should be recognized. But how do I do that with so many?

The Monkeys #2499733 01/13/16 12:15 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I am with Heather, I like the the piano bucks/points idea but not the competitive element. With piano buck system you can let them to use the piano buck to buy stuffs. With the piano point system, you can set mile stones, and a student can get some rewards once they reach a certain milestone.

The only problem with them using the dollars to buy things is that I have 40 students and it would be really expensive for me to supply them all with prizes to win smirk

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Efficient Arpeggio Playing, tips & tricks
by Denis Zhdanov - 01/16/21 03:58 AM
Yamaha or Rolan Or William rhapsody
by Belma - 01/15/21 11:22 PM
Kawai GX2 vs Shimmel 180
by tony3304 - 01/15/21 10:51 PM
N3X Lid Pin Sticking Out?
by tierce_de_picardie - 01/15/21 07:45 PM
Polyester finish Yammy
by bill miller - 01/15/21 07:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,281
Posts3,047,166
Members100,069
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission