2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2498645 01/09/16 03:35 PM
E
OP Offline
E
I would like to take a quick survey of how many songs you may have at the ready that you could sit down anywhere and play for others and feel confident about doing so. I don't mean in your living room for family but rather for people who have never heard you play, perhaps in a public place or even for a group of people, relatives, friends who know you but have never heard you play. I'm interested in how long you have been playing, or taking lessons, do you play them by memory of sight-reading, and if you are so daring, the age at which you started taking piano. Here's mine: started at age 57, playing for 3 years, about 15 songs, from memory.

J
J
started age 31, playing for four years, about 10 from memory (about 20 using sheet music)

Adult Beginner Since 2012
Steinway L, Casio Privia

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxmK-PCS4k9WTLV1oRSJ7g
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Cpl of years as child, restarted at 49 (21 years ago), usually around 40 pieces (pop and dance) at any time, with a well of about 40 more. In gigs I play from memory.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Zero or one at any given time.
Memory just isn't what it used to be.

Learner
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Tending to use music as a prompt, and also to keep me on the straight and narrow, about 2 hours at the moment. Semi passable.. . .probably around 60 or so. When you play regular somewhere, this fogure increases rapidly. It has to. . . playing totally without, about 30 or 40.
Ive been playing a lot longer than most here.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I started at age 54 three years ago (with a teacher). A big development for me in the past twelve months is the ability to retain pieces in memory with only a minimal up keep. Previous to that anything that was not played daily or every two days would disintegrate in a very awkward "I used to know this so well" death by a thousand brain cells.

I have around eight solid pieces I could play by memory and and a few more that could be a bit shaky.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm 36 and started slightly over a year ago but I would not play anything in public. Even at piano stores I'm hesitant to try out the pianos because I'm nervous about other people hearing my playing. I know I have to work on that. I don't attach much importance to keeping my pieces in memory. I work on 4 or 5 pieces at any given moment but will not hesitate to let them go and move on to something else.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by eighty80eights8s
how many songs you may have at the ready that you could sit down anywhere and play for others and feel confident about doing so.

At the moment I'd say none. I could play one or two pieces from memory, with just a few memory lapses. If I needed to, I think I could probably prepare about 3 pieces within a week, but I would still not necessarily feel very confident smile

I'm interested in how long you have been playing, or taking lessons, do you play them by memory of sight-reading, and if you are so daring, the age at which you started taking piano.

I've been at it for about 4,5 years (taking regular lessons), would perform only from memory, started at 45.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
One of my goals for this year is to keep more pieces in repertoire. Once they are learned I tend to let them go with the result that there is very little I can just sit down and play.

My base answer is the same as Outo's - zero properly, a couple with some lapses. About 3-5 within a week.
But with a bit of work on bringing things back and them keeping them refreshed I think this should be more like 10-15.

[Linked Image]
I could do about 100 badly, does that count? smile

After my last exam (RCM 10), I was burnt out from practicing and have been taking a break from it, but I semi-learn plenty of songs because I teach. There are probably only a couple I could play well, having not attempted them for six months. That depressing thought makes me feel motivated to practice again!

Allysia @pianotv.net
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Ordinarily zero, although I recently memorized 3 pieces to play at an informal piano party and have not yet forgotten them. Oh, I'm in my 8th year of lessons and in my 60's.

[Linked Image]
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I do play regularly -- but not well -- for a private club. I have 22 numbers in the book, and always play with the chart up, even though most of it is in memory. Most ain't close enough. (Skipping entire numbers is the most common mistake if I don't have the charts.) I've been self teaching off and on for six years. I'll be 68 next month.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
usually and right now: zero from memory, one with score, other one getting close but not yet ready. On rare occasionss, two from memory.

I do not maintain any pieces after I learned them. Takes too much time.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
None.
I've played various keys on and off (mostly off) since the mid 70's @ the age of around 25.
I don't have to perform so I do what I myself find interesting.
E.g. studying new material and overcoming technical difficulties.
When I've become thoroughly familiar with one technical study, have it analyzed, and have it more or less memorized in short term memory then I move onto the next.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I would like to take a quick survey of how many songs you may have at the ready that you could sit down anywhere and play for others and feel confident about doing so. I don't mean in your living room for family but rather for people who have never heard you play, perhaps in a public place or even for a group of people, relatives, friends who know you but have never heard you play.

About a half dozen real piano tunes strictly from memory. I use chord and lyric sheets for another 50 tunes otherwise for gigs. But I'm not beneath trying a two or three chord tune if I know the words.
I'm interested in how long you have been playing,
Since June 2013.
or taking lessons,
No lessons, thanks.

do you play them by memory of sight-reading,
Like I said by ear or chord/lyric sheet. While I'm new to piano, I play a bunch of other instruments, including fiddle/violin.
and if you are so daring, the age at which you started taking piano.
I started at 50.

nada
H
H
Hi there!

Started at 31, been playing for 1 yr and 3 months, none, from score.

I am always working on the next song, and once I got a pass on a song, I stopped practicing it and quickly lost the ability to play it. My goal this year is to memorize 1 piece so that I can play at request anywhere. I notice a contrast between me and my 4.5 yr daughter. She jumped into every opportunity to showcase her music to guests who came to our house, regardless whether they asked for it or not. She has 2 favorite songs that she played from memory and she gladly played it regardless whether she can play it perfectly or not. I want to be more like her. (Btw, the 2 songs contains about 10 notes each, so not complicated)

T
T
Playing for several years, none in memory. Memorizing has never been a priority for some reason, probably due to a short attention span and the constant desire to play/explore something new.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission