Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
131 registered members (apogius, agraffe, AnthonyPaulO, 36251, atcsam, AWilley, anotherscott, APassionatePianist, AZNpiano, 33 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2455107
08/30/15 12:41 PM
08/30/15 12:41 PM
Europe
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Europe
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro
Thanks for that link. Kawai UK has done a nice job with that website. It's intuitive and comprehensive.

Although the title says "Kawai Europa GmbH", I agree on that it's the best manufacturer's website I've seen so far: Extremely fast loading times in all my browsers with clear navigation and great usability. And they also have a separate mobile website under http://m.kawai.co.uk/ which is also a great example of how to do it right.

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7605
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2455149
08/30/15 02:56 PM
08/30/15 02:56 PM
M
matex1981 Offline
matex1981  Offline
M

hi.
am going to order kawai es8 in next few days from thomann.
i like the news about new piano samples but want to add few more by connecting yamaha motif xs/es rack. i downloaded kawai es7 manuals to find out whether its possible to play kawai es7/8 piano sounds along with performances-accompaniments from the motif rack simultaneously and whether the chords recognition function will work if for example kawai piano sounds are stretched along the whole keyboard ,but dont understand this midi language. will appreciate any help.
thanks

Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2455159
08/30/15 03:28 PM
08/30/15 03:28 PM
Tempe, Arizona
AZ_Astro Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
AZ_Astro  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Tempe, Arizona
The ES8 will play pre-recorded wav and mid files I believe. But I don't think that you can "add" piano samples to the ES8.

Are you planning to connect a Yamaha midi keyboard to the Kawai keyboard and have two keyboards working at once?

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: matex1981] #2455217
08/30/15 07:26 PM
08/30/15 07:26 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content

Hamamatsu, Japan
Helo matex1981,

Originally Posted by matex1981
i like the news about new piano samples but want to add few more by connecting yamaha motif xs/es rack.

Triggering the Motif's sounds from the ES8's keyboard is certainly possible. You can also connect the audio outputs from the Motif back to the ES8' stereo in jack to hear the Yamaha sounds through the ES8's speakers, if desired.

Originally Posted by matex1981
into the i downloaded kawai es7 manuals to find out whether its possible to play kawai es7/8 piano sounds along with performances-accompaniments from the motif rack simultaneously and whether the chords recognition function will work if for example kawai piano sounds are stretched along the whole keyboard

I'm not entirely sure. If the Motif allows the performance accompaniments to be controlled via MIDI this may be theoretically possible, however I expect the functionality may be limited to being controlled only from the Motif's keyboard. I would recommend raising this query with Yamaha directly.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2455344
08/31/15 06:43 AM
08/31/15 06:43 AM
Victoria, Australia
R
RohanR Offline
RohanR  Offline
R

Victoria, Australia
Hi all,
Can someone please tell me what is the demo song on the slow string being played on the ES8. It sounds very nice and would love to learn to play the full song in the future.

http://www.kawai.co.uk/digitalpianos.htm

Very interesting features on the ES8. I will definitely keep a close watch on this DP.

Thanks.
Rohan

Last edited by RohanR; 08/31/15 06:46 AM.
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2455760
09/01/15 02:17 PM
09/01/15 02:17 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
For anybody interested in the es8, its at the same price as the es7 at our local Morecambe N of England shop. £999 . . . .orderable but not yet in stock.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2455837
09/01/15 07:16 PM
09/01/15 07:16 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan

Hamamatsu, Japan
Cheers Pete - that's a good deal! wink

Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2498573
01/09/16 10:18 AM
01/09/16 10:18 AM
UK
A
A.j.Cohen Offline
A.j.Cohen  Offline
A

UK
Hello to all, I'm a newbie on here and I'm looking for some advice and a little reassurance. As the OP has raised concerns similar to my own, I thought this would be a good place to start...

My son (14 yrs old) has recently taken up piano lessons and so I wanted to buy him something to practice on. I don't know anything about digital pianos and was originally going to purchase the Yamaha ydp s52. After reading these forums I thought perhaps a Kawai would be better. Unfortunately my local musical instrument shop did not stock this brand.
The sales rep was not very impressed with the new ydp s52 and as I wanted a digital piano that I wouldn't need to upgrade in a couple of years, as my son progressed, the Yamaha CP4 was recommended with some MSP-5 monitor speakers.

I went online yesterday and on impulse, purchased the Kawai ES8 digital piano. Is this a 'good' instrument for a beginner? I could have got the ES100 but like I mentioned above I don't want to be upgrading in a couple of years time. I was thinking of the CA17 or CA67 but then I'm not totally convinced at present that he will continue to have an interest in playing the piano.

Another important concern for me is being able to assess whether the digital piano is working correctly. So I may need some advice on this. The good news is I'm not totally tone deaf, I quite often listen to Bill Evans on piano when I need to unwind. I can also just about manage to play 'chopsticks' (with two hands) and my son can't even do this yet!

Any advice would be much appreciated as it is not too late for me to change my order for something else. I'd also be interested in getting some recommendations on headphones too. I study and read a lot so most of the time my son would need to use these.

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: A.j.Cohen] #2498575
01/09/16 10:29 AM
01/09/16 10:29 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by A.j.Cohen
Hello to all, I'm a newbie on here and I'm looking for some advice and a little reassurance. As the OP has raised concerns similar to my own, I thought this would be a good place to start...

My son (14 yrs old) has recently taken up piano lessons and so I wanted to buy him something to practice on. I don't know anything about digital pianos and was originally going to purchase the Yamaha ydp s52. After reading these forums I thought perhaps a Kawai would be better. Unfortunately my local musical instrument shop did not stock this brand.
The sales rep was not very impressed with the new ydp s52 and as I wanted a digital piano that I wouldn't need to upgrade in a couple of years, as my son progressed, the Yamaha CP4 was recommended with some MSP-5 monitor speakers.

I went online yesterday and on impulse, purchased the Kawai ES8 digital piano. Is this a 'good' instrument for a beginner? I could have got the ES100 but like I mentioned above I don't want to be upgrading in a couple of years time. I was thinking of the CA17 or CA67 but then I'm not totally convinced at present that he will continue to have an interest in playing the piano.

Another important concern for me is being able to assess whether the digital piano is working correctly. So I may need some advice on this. The good news is I'm not totally tone deaf, I quite often listen to Bill Evans on piano when I need to unwind. I can also just about manage to play 'chopsticks' (with two hands) and my son can't even do this yet!

Any advice would be much appreciated as it is not too late for me to change my order for something else. I'd also be interested in getting some recommendations on headphones too. I study and read a lot so most of the time my son would need to use these.

The first thing that comes to my mind as I am reading your post is ....

When you say you purchased the Kawai ES8, what exactly did you purchase ?

Furniture stand with it ?

3-pedal unit with furniture stand ?

X - Stand ?

Apparently, not any headphones.

Purchasing the ES8, in my opinion, was a very good choice but I would like to know the details.

Is there a link to the purchase you made ?

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2498608
01/09/16 01:01 PM
01/09/16 01:01 PM
Germany
H
Hendrik42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hendrik42  Offline
500 Post Club Member
H

Germany
We have the CN35, which has the same action as the ES8, but an older sound engine. It got positively commented on by our piano teachers and professional musicians in the family.

So the ES8 should be just fine for a beginner and a fair number of years.

An ES8 with nice stand costs about the same as a CA17, which has a better action, better speakers, but not other features such as USB Stick support. Depends on where your priorities are.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: dmd] #2498613
01/09/16 01:30 PM
01/09/16 01:30 PM
UK
A
A.j.Cohen Offline
A.j.Cohen  Offline
A

UK
Hello dmd, thank you for responding and reassuring me about the ES8 for a beginner!

Apologies for not being clear in my original post. I bought the Kawai ES8 only. Standard delivery is 1 to 3 days. The only stand I could see on the site was for the ES100. So I have yet to source the stand, pedals and headphones (not sure if I need to get monitors?)

Here is a link to where I found the ES8. I was searching for an ES7 at the time and this site had one but it had been sold and in any case was ex-display.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/kawai-es8-digital-piano-black

Kind regards
Angela

Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: Hendrik42] #2498616
01/09/16 01:39 PM
01/09/16 01:39 PM
UK
A
A.j.Cohen Offline
A.j.Cohen  Offline
A

UK
Hello Hendrik42, and thank you too for your response. I was looking at the CN35 as well.

The reason why I did not go for the CA17 or CA67 is because they are more furniture like and heavy, not easy to move. I would need to remove one of my bookcases in order to accommodate one of these models in my home. I don't really want to do this but if my son remains interested and makes the effort to practice regularly; then of course, I would be willing to get something more substantial for him.

Kind regards

Angela

Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: A.j.Cohen] #2498632
01/09/16 02:26 PM
01/09/16 02:26 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Hello dmd, thank you for responding and reassuring me about the ES8 for a beginner!

Apologies for not being clear in my original post. I bought the Kawai ES8 only. Standard delivery is 1 to 3 days. The only stand I could see on the site was for the ES100. So I have yet to source the stand, pedals and headphones (not sure if I need to get monitors?)

Here is a link to where I found the ES8. I was searching for an ES7 at the time and this site had one but it had been sold and in any case was ex-display.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/kawai-es8-digital-piano-black

Kind regards
Angela

Angela,

You need the HML4 Furniture Stand for the ES8. That is not the same one used for the ES100. You may be able to find it on Amazon.com/uk version. I would very much recommend getting that stand for stability.

Also, I have the 3-pedal unit that you can get for the Furniture Stand and I took it off because it felt too close to me. I use a single pedal and I can put it where I want it. You may wish to consider that.

This one may work fine ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-FC4A-Sustain-Pedal/dp/B00A3IJWYE/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Last edited by dmd; 01/09/16 02:42 PM.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: A.j.Cohen] #2498634
01/09/16 02:30 PM
01/09/16 02:30 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Hello Hendrik42, and thank you too for your response. I was looking at the CN35 as well.

The reason why I did not go for the CA17 or CA67 is because they are more furniture like and heavy, not easy to move. I would need to remove one of my bookcases in order to accommodate one of these models in my home. I don't really want to do this but if my son remains interested and makes the effort to practice regularly; then of course, I would be willing to get something more substantial for him.

Kind regards

Angela

Your son depending on his age, may want to play with other musicians. . .like, drummer,bass player. . . female vocalist. . . I betta shuddup!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2498689
01/09/16 06:41 PM
01/09/16 06:41 PM
Germany
H
Hendrik42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hendrik42  Offline
500 Post Club Member
H

Germany
Easy to move is a totally fair point to go for the ES8. Also, being able to lug the piano to a practice room can also be very compelling for a child.

So, yes, nice stand next.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: A.j.Cohen] #2498750
01/09/16 11:12 PM
01/09/16 11:12 PM
Tempe, Arizona
AZ_Astro Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
AZ_Astro  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Tempe, Arizona

The ES8 is a trimmed down stage piano that mimics a piano extremely well. I have owned three digital pianos of lesser quality than the ES8 and I wish I'd started with the ES8 instead! So I think you did really well with that purchase. If you or your son don't continue with piano studies, it won't be because of an inferior instrument. Quite frankly, I think you'll be exceptionally pleased with the instrument.

Recommended headphones: you can get by with cheaper headphones but I would recommend the Sennheiser 598s. That's what I use now and they are quite wonderful. And not that expensive - you can find them in the $100-$150 range. (They were recently on sale for $99). Don't know what they are going for now. I bought mine for $120.

Good luck

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 01/09/16 11:16 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: AZ_Astro] #2498844
01/10/16 10:35 AM
01/10/16 10:35 AM
UK
A
A.j.Cohen Offline
A.j.Cohen  Offline
A

UK
Many thanks to all that have responded.

@dmd - This information is really appreciated! I would require a very stable stand. My son is only 14, but he is referred to colloquially as a 'big strapping lad'... I have no doubt that he would have the same problem with the pedal unit.

@peter - your comment really made me chuckle...

Hello AZ_Astro, thank you for your reassurance and confirmation!

As it turns out I may need to cancel my order as there is an issue with the warranty period. I sent an email to where I purchased the ES8 to get some information on this and I have been informed that it is only for 12 months! I shall be contacting them tomorrow as they also said they will speak with Kawai if I have any concerns. I've looked elsewhere and can get the ES8 for the same price with 3 years warranty! I am certainly concerned that the same product can have such a huge disparity in warranty period from different distributors.

I will definitely look on Amazon to see if I can get those Sennheiser 598 headphones. I take it these are also comfortable to wear.

Kind regards
Angela

Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: A.j.Cohen] #2498847
01/10/16 10:45 AM
01/10/16 10:45 AM
Norfolk, UK
S
stevedoz Offline
stevedoz  Offline
S

Norfolk, UK
Many thanks to all that have responded.

@dmd - This information is really appreciated! I would require a very stable stand. My son is only 14, but he is referred to colloquially as a 'big strapping lad'... I have no doubt that he would have the same problem with the pedal unit.

@peter - your comment really made me chuckle...

Hello AZ_Astro, thank you for your reassurance and confirmation!

As it turns out I may need to cancel my order as there is an issue with the warranty period. I sent an email to where I purchased the ES8 to get some information on this and I have been informed that it is only for 12 months! I shall be contacting them tomorrow as they also said they will speak with Kawai if I have any concerns. I've looked elsewhere and can get the ES8 for the same price with 3 years warranty! I am certainly concerned that the same product can have such a huge disparity in warranty period from different distributors.

I will definitely look on Amazon to see if I can get those Sennheiser 598 headphones. I take it these are also comfortable to wear.

Kind regards
Angela

Sounds odd to me as bought mine in the uk and have a 5 year warranty, through Kawai... Definitely worth checking

Kawai ES8
Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: dmd] #2499025
01/10/16 10:32 PM
01/10/16 10:32 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Don,

I just wanted to clarify a couple of points in your previous post:

Originally Posted by dmd
You need the HML4 Furniture Stand for the ES8. That is not the same one used for the ES100.

Please note that the correct stand for the ES7/ES8 is actually the HM-4.
The correct stand for the smaller ES100 is the HML-1.
For more information about specifications and optional accessories, I would recommend referring to the individual ES8 and ES100 product pages of the Kawai Global website.

Originally Posted by dmd
Also, I have the 3-pedal unit that you can get for the Furniture Stand and I took it off because it felt too close to me.

Okay, that's perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by dmd
I use a single pedal and I can put it where I want it. You may wish to consider that.

This one may work fine ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-FC4A-Sustain-Pedal/dp/B00A3IJWYE/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Please note that the ES8 (and ES100) includes the F-10H single pedal unit (with half-damper support) in the box - it's not necessary to purchase an additional pedal. Again, you may wish to refer to the product page linked above.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Leaning Towards a Kawai ES8 [Re: A.j.Cohen] #2499031
01/10/16 10:48 PM
01/10/16 10:48 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Angela,

Thank you for deciding to purchase the ES8 for your son. As others have noted, I believe this instrument will serve him very well for many years.

With regards to the instrument's warranty, from 1st September 2015, Kawai Europe and Kawai UK upgraded their coverage to provide a full 5 year parts and labour warranty on all digital pianos. This information is available in German on the Kawai Europe website, however I cannot currently find the equivalent English version on the Kawai UK website. I will need to remind the folks in the UK to update their website, however in the meantime, you may wish to refer to this post on the Kawai UK facebook page.

I hope this helps, and provides some reassurance regarding the warranty period.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
regrets
by dolce sfogato. 03/20/19 06:24 PM
Semi Concert Grand Blind Test
by Keith D Kerman. 03/20/19 05:57 PM
Kawai CA98
by Nordomus. 03/20/19 04:24 PM
How to master new skills with 'deliberate practice'
by thepianoplayer416. 03/20/19 02:30 PM
A harpsichord styled Steinway
by guyl. 03/20/19 10:48 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,007
Posts2,808,664
Members92,831
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission