2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (alexii, accordeur, anotherscott, Bill McKaig,RPT, Alan F, 36251, 20 invisible), 706 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
magnil Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We are going to buy a white slim piano for my daughter and me. We are both noobs but my daughter seems to learn fast (wish I would to…). Have narrowed it down to Roland F-140R or Yamaha YDP-S52. They have the same price where we live.

After a lot of internet reading I had almost decided that it should be the F-140R. Thought it looked nicer, have better features with bluetooth, USB memory, line in/out, small display etc. When reading about them people seemed to like both the Roland and Yamaha. My daughter had also decided for the Roland just because she liked the brand, Yamaha is not pianos for her.

Today we went to a shop just to see them live and probably buy the Roland. I think that the Yamaha seemed to have better quality. The lid on the Roland was not so good and overall impression was better on the Yamaha. Liked that it had a volume knob instead of buttons. Rolands connections was at the back so you can not put it close to the wall. Still like Rolands functions though. My daughter thought that the Yamaha had better keys/feeling and better sound.

We had to little time in the shop before they closed so we decided to go home and think about it. Is there anyone here that has tried them both and could help us noobs in our decision?

W
W
The PHA4 action on F140R should be better (with 3 sensors and escapement) than the GH on S52. But GH feels a little bit heavier than PHA4 if you like that better.

And, like you said, F140R has a lot of features.

The sound is more subjective if your daughter likes the Yamaha tone better.

I suggest that you go back to the store and this time spend more time on both. Try out the different tones, settings and features. Both are good for beginners and either one you decide will be a good decision.

Yamaha U1 | Roland FP90+JBL LSR305
G
G
My F130R sits against the wall. The connectors in the back have a shape that barely extends, and the rails under the feet assure just enough spacing so no part of the piano hits the wall.

The lid is a peculiar design but it seems extremely solid to me so not sure what the issue was.

The headphone and USB connectors are under the piano.

Sound engine and action are objectively better on the Roland (88 key sampling, realistic decay, 3 sensors, escapement).

But if she subjectively liked the Yamaha better I am not sure if any of this matters.

M
M
This would be quite a hard decision, I laboured over it myself. I think they are the two best choices at this price point and I guess it might come down to personal taste and aesthetics. In favour for the Roland is a superior action and abundance of tones, but the Yamaha has better speakers and a slightly fuller bass sound to my ears and perhaps looks better when the lid is closed, although the Roland looks better with the lid open! A tough one - let your daughter decide, perhaps after playing them both again.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
It does sem that now your little girl is part of the choosing process, shell not be happy unless she gets her way! Just get her to play them for some time. She will know best which suits her.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
magnil Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks everone for your input! Guess we have to go back and try them out more as you say. Difficult when you can not play though smile.

Don't forget that you can adjust the tone/brightness of the piano sound to your/your daughter's taste (at least, you can on the Roland). Ask the store demo person to demonstrate.

Roland F130-R
L
L
Did you decide? I am having the same dilemma like you.

C
C
The decision should be your daughters. Both companies make fine instruments.
Yamaha is a piano company, they represent high standards worldwide for pianos.
I had a chance to play the Roland F140. It's good, but I felt that the tone
was a bit unnatural in the middle octaves. The tone of the Yamaha sounded
better IMO. More natural brightness. The Roland has a nice action, but again, the Yamaha's GH action feels great IMO. High quality. Let your daughter play both. She will tell you which one.
Best of Luck.

M
magnil Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yes, we bought the F-140R. Happy with it, especially Bluetooth midi and line in input. Like the sound with headphones but it could definitely be better with the speakers, maybe the Yamaha had a little better sound with speakers. One other thing I think is better with the Yamaha is that you get the stand for sheets a little higher.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, i hope your daughter enjoy it a lot... and what about key action in both DP's?, how compare this feature in both units?... Cheers!.

C
C
Congrats on the purchase of your new Roland. Hope you and your daughter have years of enjoyment.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I suspect your lass picked up somsthing about the Roland that I did when I bpught mine. I loved the Yamaha I had, but dont regret getting thr R. The resonances make it for me.

I did buy a small bass practice amp to improve the response, which I thought shouldnt have been necessary. Cost £50 but was worth it!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
What kind of amp did you pick up ?
I recently bought a F140 which I very much enjoy but it wouldn't hurt for it to have some more volume.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing freely with other Instruments
by alexii - 05/21/22 10:42 AM
Foreign Piano Store Visit
by Damien PG - 05/21/22 07:53 AM
Yamaha x-series from Hamamatsu
by Ek81 - 05/21/22 07:21 AM
My brain!!
by Animisha - 05/21/22 06:57 AM
Heavy touchweight on Yamaha upright?
by Caesar - 05/20/22 08:40 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,165
Posts3,193,355
Members105,330
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission