2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
55 members (36251, anotherscott, c++, Daryl Durand, Digitalguy, andredatele, 19 invisible), 453 guests, and 499 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano catches fire at Columbus, Indiana, home
#2496163 01/02/16 01:00 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Homeowner Joyce Heckman told Columbus firefighters that she was watching television when she smelled a strange odor. She saw a light haze of smoke in another room and found her piano on fire.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_story/Piano-catches-fire-at-Columbus_1451567896

(BTW: I'm morally opposed to people who put knick-knacks, brick-a-brak, picture frames, etc, on their pianos. The only thing that should be on a piano is music manuscripts when you're learning a piece. I hope these folks learned a valuable lesson. A piano is not a table, workbench, or display case.)

Last edited by Thrill Science; 01/02/16 01:01 AM.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
Re: Piano catches fire at Columbus, Indiana, home
Thrill Science #2496168 01/02/16 01:41 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I can't say that I have much sympathy for those thoughtless ****** who leave burning candles unattended; don't they have the presence of mind to put them out when they leave a room?

Last edited by Rickster; 01/02/16 01:03 PM. Reason: controversial word usage

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Thrill Science #2496232 01/02/16 09:31 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Bummer.

Years ago, I had a candle burning in the kitchen window and it ignited the curtains, which were pulled back, away from the flame. It happened very quickly. Fortunately, I was standing nearby at the sink, washing dishes and immediately doused the fire with the dish water. It could have been a disaster.

I could easily have walked away from a lit candle--I was the mom of a toddler at the time and distractions were abundant. So I'm still sorry for the people in the story, and I'm sure they are beating themselves up enough that I don't need to pile on.

Learner
BruceD #2496235 01/02/16 09:46 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I can't say that I have much sympathy for those thoughtless idiots who leave burning candles unattended; don't they have the presence of mind to put them out when they leave a room?

Now I see what brother George's real role was on Liberace's shows, to light and extinguish the candelabra's candles. Photo for those too young to know that Liberace was immoral on many fronts, eh T.S?
[Linked Image]

Guapo Gabacho #2496257 01/02/16 10:44 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Liberace was no fool. You'll notice those are light bulbs!

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
Thrill Science #2496261 01/02/16 10:58 AM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
There is a reason the old vertical pianos made prior to the advent of electric lights had candle sconces made from brass. Fire Prevention!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Thrill Science #2496270 01/02/16 11:11 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Real candles at home, TS.
[Linked Image]

Thrill Science #2496286 01/02/16 12:06 PM
S

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014

Bronze Level Supporter until October 5 2014
S
Originally Posted by Thrill Science

(BTW: I'm morally opposed to people who put knick-knacks, brick-a-brak, picture frames, etc, on their pianos. The only thing that should be on a piano is music manuscripts when you're learning a piece. I hope these folks learned a valuable lesson. A piano is not a table, workbench, or display case.)

I don't put things on my piano either. However, 'moral opposition" seems ridiculous. A piano means many things to different people. If someone wants to place things on their piano, who are we to tell them they can't? My mother has all sorts of things on top of her console piano. I find it a big silly, but her piano is in great condition and it makes her happy. Why are you morally opposed to people making decisions about how to treat their own possessions if it makes them happy?

Cello, Piano, Electric Bass

1967 Baldwin SD-10 | Kawai MP11
Thrill Science #2496300 01/02/16 12:34 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...A burning candle in the center of a Christmas wreath centerpiece caught a piano on fire at a Columbus home Wednesday..."

Two clear violations are captured in this single pithy sentence. Besides NOT being a candleholder or display rack for bric-a-brac, a piano is NOT a place to put a flower vase. Nor the purse and keys of a guest, nor a lodgement for coffee cups or cocktail glasses, nor of persons who dance, unless the piano is located in a Gentleman's Club.

We could go on, but this short list captures the majority of violations.

Do you think the fire department put out the piano with a fire hose? That would be another separate violation.

All things considered, I think that the offender has earned any amount of snide remarks. And I know some of you are saying, "Well, how about cats? Why did you leave that off the list?" It's not because I think they belong there, but because my tech allows it at his own home. Also, because some people have found that that hill is just too steep to climb, considering the stubbornness of some cats. My cat and I have a different understanding about this. I do get my way about the piano, but he gets to do a lot of things that other cats do not enjoy, which I will not spell out here for fear of setting a bad example. I will just say that he is an intelligent animal; we communicate; and he has allowed me this favor.

Clef

Thrill Science #2496337 01/02/16 01:51 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
I'll give Liberace a pass for his Candelabra, just as I'll give Aretha Franklin a pass for her "purse placement". (I'm a big fan of them both.)

[Linked Image]

(With the furs, there's little difference between her and Liberace!)

Last edited by Thrill Science; 01/02/16 01:52 PM.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
Thrill Science #2496347 01/02/16 02:23 PM
Wow, it seems that the new year is off to a "critical note" (no pun intended smile ).

We've all made mistakes... sometimes the mistakes cause harm (and even loss of life) and sometimes not.

Personally, I don't put anything on top of my grand pianos, except my wife insist on putting some picture frames and nick-nacks on top of the upright.

And, while we are on the subject, candles can emit harmful carbon-monoxide gases, along with soot and other harmful byproducts. So, I'm not a candle enthusiast myself.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Thrill Science #2496370 01/02/16 03:14 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
He's the only thing on the piano and he's guarding it.

[Linked Image]

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
Thrill Science #2496410 01/02/16 05:40 PM
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I just had the candle argument with my kids - they were burning fragrant candles on the coffee table. I forbade it, and later caught them doing it again. Into the trash went the candles. I replaced the veneer on a grand piano lid once due to candle burns. I'm not a fan of open flame anywhere in the house. The kids and I settled on plug in fragrant dispensers. They get their stinky air - I get relative safety.

Thrill Science #2496412 01/02/16 05:44 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
I hope you don't have a bird. Birds and "fragrance" don't get along well. In fact, chemical smells and so on can easily kill a bird.

If I'm cleaning windows or furniture, painting, gluing or doing anything else that creates fumes, my bird moves all the way to the other end of the building first and he doesn't return until everything is good and aired out again.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Thrill Science #2496557 01/03/16 04:40 AM
I was living about 20 miles from Columbus Indiana a decade ago, and I left a small tea candle burning in it's aluminum holder on a plastic table. I had gone to sleep and was dreaming. The last thing I recall in the dream was being in my car and rounding a sharp curve on the main road about half a mile away, just before where there was a rural fire station before Global Warming brought the 100 Year Flood and washed us all away. I then suddenly awoke to the sound of the smoke alarm going off. I got up and went to the kitchen where the tea candle had melted a hole in the plastic table and set the drapes on fire on both sides of the kitchen window. Luckily I always kept a full bucket of water there and got a rather large fire out quickly- a bit more time and I might not have stopped it. I always make sure a candle is on a solid plate or ceramic tile now if I burn one, but I'm in Florida now so that doesn't happen often. But it was strange that my subconscious seemed to be going to the fire station in accelerated "dream time" before I could wake up.

My first semester at college in a dorm room (Owen Hall at Purdue)we were awakened one night to a commotion outside the fire alarm going off and pounding on the door. I looked out to see the hall full of smoke and guys rushing around and out the main door. I went back in and threw on some more clothes and my roommate and I rushed out the door and headed for the smoky exit. At that point I turned around and looked back toward our room which was at the end of the hall. A Christmas tree was flamed up and had caught the whole end of the hall on fire on the other side of our door. The fire department arrived and got it out but it was a little tense and scary. My $400 Gitane Super Corsa bicycle was in the closet on the other side of the wall, luckily unharmed.

Last edited by harpon; 01/03/16 04:44 AM.
Rickster #2496559 01/03/16 04:52 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Wow, it seems that the new year is off to a "critical note" (no pun intended smile ).

We've all made mistakes... sometimes the mistakes cause harm (and even loss of life) and sometimes not.

Personally, I don't put anything on top of my grand pianos, except my wife

Rick

This might come back to haunt you.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Thrill Science #2496639 01/03/16 11:19 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I keep a 12" tall General Grievous made of Lego bits on my upright. Other than that, the top is buried in music. I do like candles. They live on the mantel and burn inside glass containers on top of ceramic or more glass and certainly aren't near any curtains. I was born in Los Angeles, Soot, hydrocarbons and trendy food items are necessary just to survive.

K.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Thrill Science #2496696 01/03/16 02:10 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The modern response to burning candles is here:

Candles

They may not, on extremely close examination, be indistinguishable from the real thing, but from a few feet away they can be as close to the real thing as possible and as safe and as carefree as you could wish.

I have four of them; they are quite lovely. The "flame" is balanced very delicately on a slim, horizontal wire so that the slightest movement of air causes the "flame" to flicker.

[Linked Image]

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Thrill Science #2496737 01/03/16 05:06 PM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Things and pets on the piano...or *in* the piano:

[Linked Image]

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
guyl #2497302 01/05/16 09:24 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
My cat Betty gets in the piano, too. I have to keep it closed when I'm not playing it.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,170
Posts3,029,003
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission