2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, are Kawai pianos fully sampled?, or they are a kind of hybrid technology as Roland SuperNatural?, which it has a sampled part and the other is physical modeling. I think James is perhaps the most suitable person to answer this question. I have understood that Kawai has several technologies PHI , UPHI , HI and HI - XL, the latter being the most advanced and expressive of all. Finally I ask all mentioned technologies have a physically modeled component?. Thanks.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello Fer,

Kawai's piano sounds utilise a combination of sampling and modelling.
The more advanced versions of 'Harmonic Imaging' (e.g. HI-XL) typically offer more modelling components.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Note that "modelling" is used to describe everything and nothing.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Did you see this? http://www.kawaius.com/digital/Features/sound_technology.html

There we learn that HI-XL has longer (attack) samples than PHI. There is no mention of any additional modeling (which does not mean that there is none).

From a Kawai brochure:

"On an acoustic piano, resonances produced by the strings, dampers, iron frame, soundboard, bridges, cabinet, etc.
contribute subtle tonal characteristics that enrich the playing and listening experience. The CA97 & CA67 recreate these various resonances using Acoustic Rendering modelling technology, with attributes such as Damper Resonance, String Resonance, Undamped String Resonance, Cabinet Resonance, etc. generated dynamically, in real-time, and giving Concert Artist owners the impression that they are playing a living, breathing instrument."

However, as at least some of this is already present in PHI, not sure how much HI-XL is adding here. I think I have read somewhere that "Undamped String Resonance" and "Cabinet Resonance" are new in either HI-XL or in 2015 CA series.

Also, I believe I have read somewhere that PHI has three layers, but HI-XL has six. Can't find the source at the moment. Didn't DPBSD project say PHI is four? That's not about modeling, though.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi James, thanks for your quick response... has HI-XL six layers of sampling?, cause in that way it would be the most powerful and complex sound generator available today in the market. Another question, are other sounds in MP7 sampling more modelling?. Cheers!.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Fer De Armas
Hi James, thanks for your quick response... has HI-XL six layers of sampling?, cause in that way it would be the most powerful and complex sound generator available today in the market.

Rubbish. And in any event the number of layers will not be disclosed by Kawai.

Online Content
Originally Posted by EssBrace
And in any event the number of layers will not be disclosed by Kawai.

This.

Merry Christmas.

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Why not?... Roland claims that SN technology present in Integra 7 has four 4 layers more modelling?... Please explain us your point!

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Excuse me but i dont understand your point...

Online Content
Why not?

Because Kawai believes it's better to assess an instrument based on how it actually sounds, not how many layers are written in the specifications table.

Merry Christmas.

James
x

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Ok thanks again James... and what about the non piano sounds in MP7, are they sampled more modelling too like piano sounds?.

Online Content
I expect it's a combination of sampling and modelling, yes.

Merry Christmas.

James
x

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Does the number of layers though specifically matter?
The Krome piano has 8 layers but depending on the curve one is only going to be hitting a few of the layers.
Not sure how many my SP280 has (think its 3) but don't really care because I have no control over that.
I am not saying it is not important but one has to also consider which midi velocities they will be targeting most frequently relative to the scale for the corresponding piano.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
G
G
I agree with James here. HI-XL may have a lot of layers but at least on ff one can hear them switch, which is unfortunate and unrealistic, so one would be doubtful to call it the most advanced implementation if one listens instead of just looking at the "specs".

Conversely, some Kawai pianos are 87 instead of 88 note sampled. I am sure the engineers decided repeating a sample was better than living with a recording flaw or a very particular quirk of the source piano. (A flaw many software pianos with theoretically better "specs" suffer from)

Specifications are handy though. Most of us have much less time to evaluate DP than we will spend playing them. So knowing what to look of listen for helps an informed decision.

It's easier to appreciate the difference between GF2 and RM G3 if one knows the pivots differ and one should play a bit inside the keys.

Imagine trying to decide between PHA Concert and Premium and not knowing the mechanics are identical. You'd waste so much time.

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Ok thanks, and how you compare Kawai HI-XL against Roland SN technology?... Cheers!

G
G
There are some clips comparing them against each other and against an acoustic in the DPBSD thread.

I'd say that SN has some advantages (better decay, smoother layering) but HI-XL has a bit more timbre variation (maybe it's improved on HP6xx/LX17). Also new Kawai models have 3 distinct pianos while for many Roland there is only a single SN voice and not everyone will like it.

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Ok thanks Garf, I have Kawai MP7 because i prefer this key action over Roland RD800, but I would like to purchase an Integra 7 to add the Roland SN piano to my sound palette, of course I understood that PHAIII / IV are key actions which better connect with their SN sound engine, still, with this action Kawai RHII would get a similar response in expressiveness and finger to sound connection to the Integra 7 as you would with Roland keys mentioned above?... Cheers!.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Fer,

I had the Integra 7 with the px5s, I thought it's piano was not as good as the px5s.

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi emenelton, thanks for your answer... are you saying that Casio PX5s piano sound is better than the highly regarded Roland Integra 7 SN piano sound?.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hi emenelton, thanks for your answer... are you saying that Casio PX5s piano sound is better than the highly regarded Roland Integra 7 SN piano sound?.

Yes, I got the Integra with some grand plans. The Integra is used by pros though for it's other sounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission