2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Miguel7 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Firstly, hello all, I'm new to the forum - I have been reading avidly for the past month and found so much useful information, and hope to contribute myself in the future. I am piano beginner, myself and my wife are very keen to learn, and my daughter has started to learn already, hence the plunge to buy a home piano. My budget seems to have increased the more knowledge I've accumulated, an unfortunate side effect smile

So we narrowed it to 3 - CLP575, HP605 and CA67. I quickly ruled out the CN35 which I was really considering, as I tried the CA67 immediately afterwards and noticed such a big difference in action and sound. I then ruled out the CLP575, as much as I liked it, I just didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the CA67. Now I haven't played the HP605 yet, the shop didn't have it and I may have to go out of my way.

I loved the CA67, it's around £250 cheaper than the HP605 (CA67 comes with a stool) and from everything I've read it's a top piano. I have almost ruled out the CA97 as didn't think I would need the extra sound quality, as this piano will be in a living room against the wall, but the shop also didn't have this model so still have a question mark here.

So with the HP605, does anyone think the sound, both in terms of the piano output and speaker output, is an improvement on the CA67? I know they both have 6 speaker systems but I'm curious to know if there's a huge difference in quality.

Secondly what are your thoughts on how the CA97 stacks up against both the CA67 and HP605 (am aware of the mobility issue with the CA97)? Even in a living room space with it up against the wall, am I going to feel the difference with the improved sound system from the CA97? I will practice largely with headphones in the evenings and perhaps be more prone to letting the sound out on weekends smile

Thanks all, look forward to your thoughts.

Kawai CA67
Started January 2016: Alfred All-In-One Book1/Fundamental Keys
S
S
I think you would get a whole range of opinions, and at the end of the day you really need to try the Roland for yourself, so you can compare. If someone says they prefer the Roland, it doesn't mean you will, and vice versa. Like comparing 2 similar cars. Good luck with your choice and I'm sure you will end up with something very nice.
I wonder though, for a beginning instrument, is it necessary to spend quite that much?
Best wishes

Kawai ES920
M
Miguel7 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
This is what I've wrestled with regarding the expense. My daughter is a bit past the beginner stage and we want to give her a piano at home now that she will love to play on.

I'd heard people say to get the best you can afford, as it's a long term investment (we are never likely to have a grand piano, due to expense and space) and as we don't really splurge very often we thought we would do that with the piano.

Is it worth spending say £1000 or less and then wish a year down the road I'd spent a bit more on a better piano? I'm really not sure but appreciate any different perspective you may have as it's a decision I've been mulling over for some time.

Have you played either the HP605 or the CA67? I'm definitely after a range of first hand opinions, no matter how different - it will certainly help me decide whether to make the long-ish trip to try the Roland.

Going back to the expense it's why I've almost certainly ruled out the CA97 and why I'm leaning towards the CA67 - the Roland is more expensive also, and there doesn't seem much to separate them. However it's clear the CA67 is a big jump from the CN35?

Also, outside of these forums it's really hard to find independent reviews of these models. I guess they're still in their infancy?

Thanks very much for the feedback

Last edited by Miguel7; 12/21/15 01:03 PM.

Kawai CA67
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Like he said. Those are instruments, digital but still instruments. Choose what feels and sounds best for you. They are all awesome.
I've played only previous Kawais but they were great, although I liked sound of Roland much more but then again keyboard was better in Kawai, now that Roland has better keyboard I would recomend it. And if you have money I would definitely buy better(more expensive) piano because she might not like particular worse piano which might lead to not liking piano at all :]

Last edited by Nordomus; 12/21/15 01:06 PM.

Roland LX708
M
Miguel7 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your reply - it's interesting you have a different view to the expense question - buy the best you can afford (asuming there's a commitment) or buying a beginner piano with a view to upgrading. I've heard different things, but more have leaned towards what you have stated.

Based on your response, I think I will make the trip and try the Roland, though I'm hoping I don't love it as much as the Kawai smile

Any more first hand experiences on these pianos would be great to hear.

Kawai CA67
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Roland HP605 vs Kawai CA67 is a good choice to have. As I have said elsewhere here, for me it would be the better resonance modeling of the Roland vs the (to me) better keyboard of the Kawai and maybe the nicer sound of the Kawai (to me). 250 quid also go well against a better bench and a good headphone, which is both quite important.

I recommend that you involve your daughter as much as you can, maybe even give her the final vote. My daughter still brings that up sometimes, months after the purchase. Helps with the identification.

With regard to budget, that is not easy, too. You need to look at your bank account and how sure you are that you'll stick with it. If we'd been clearer on if we'd stick with it, we'd have spent more.

Now that we have the CN35, I'll just see where we are in one or two DP generations, so 3 to six years. I do not think the CN35 will limit us in any way for the next six or more years. Maybe never :-)

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Best to spend some time on each model, with and without headphones, too. If youre UK, the HP 506 and 508 are going for a wonderfully low price, since they are no longer the latest models. If I was buying, one o those two would be risk free. And wi a 10 year g tee. . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
B
Hi, i'm not experienced at all with Rolands, so i can not help with the comparison. But i would involve daughter in this choice, if not for other reasons, just because it will by a lot of fun for her.

Regarding the sound thing, consider that playing them against a wall is exactly how these pianos are intended to be played, so they don't suffer at all, and you will for sure be able to enjoy a better sound, provided you're able to drive them up to a proper volume level, equal to an acoustic piano. If you are not, you won't just miss a big deal of the beautiful sound, you'll also learn wrong playing technique.

Proper mighty volume ( and you will hear a difference on a 97 ) OR headphones ( on a 67 ).

Kawai Ca63 - yamaha motif07 ( sold )- Korg01fd ( sold ) - Kawai es120
K
K
CA67 vs hp 506
That's what I have been pondering for last week; I am buying a digital piano for home lessons for my 5 year old who's just starting (we don't play ourselves).
From reading the forum, I get the impression that nearly everyone raves about the key action of the Kawai CA67 as the closest thing to an acoustic piano.

To be honest, wife is tempted by the HP 506 because she's keen on the ebony finish..LOL
However, is this CA67 key action worth £500 extra compared to the recently discontinued HP506 ? Is the better CA67 key action very important to the child leans to play, as opposed to the HP506? Can the HP 506 last us to his teens if he carries on playing, which we hope?

Thanks very much for any advice

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
As for action for me it's actually just as good as Kawai in terms of responsiveness and overall feel so it's a matter of preference again. Both work great and you can play whole dynamic ranges on them and learn proper piano techniques and both Roland and Kawai will last without problem for many years to come but if you want Roland and have money I would recommend 6xx series much more.

Roland LX708
W
W
kimoprimo - go for the HP506 deal before it's gone. It's way more than adequate for a 5yrs old beginner and for many years to come. I am a happy owner smile

Yamaha U1 | Roland FP90+JBL LSR305
S
S
Miguel7, let us know what you decide on. I assume you are happy buying a full size cabinet piano and don't need portability?

Kawai ES920
D
D
I've been facing a similar decision, trying to choose between the Roland & Kawai pianos. I pulled the trigger today and ordered a CA-97. It was between this and the LX-17, now out of stock everyhwere in the UK, which helped make the decision.

I think I probably would have gone with the CA-97 anyway. The things I like better about it (Action & Tone) are more important to me than the things I prefer about the Roland (Cabinet, Speakers, Features, Warranty).

Either way, you can't really go wrong with any of the pianos at this price point, they're all great, it's just a matter of choosing which one you like best.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm with WarrenY on this one. The 506 deal is too good to be passed, and the action is great, don't worry about it. It's way above that level and can handle advanced classical repertoire very well.
For the price it's going for right now (around 1000 pounds for the simple black finish) and with a 10-year warranty, it's amazing value and way more than would be required for a first instrument.
Ten years down the line if you will require a new instrument, technology will have advanced and you'll be looking at different options.
For somebody having the budget and reasons to go for the new 605, it's a more difficult choice, since the improvements are definitely there, but with such a good price on the previous gen, it would be very hard to decide for me.
One thing I know from having tried them when I was on the market - I prefer the Roland sound and playability even to the top Kawais, even with their action being a bit better. And I haven't tested the new PHA50 action from Roland yet, which is improved over the PHA4 Premium/Concert that I own and know.

Hello Miguel7, welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by Miguel7
So with the HP605, does anyone think the sound, both in terms of the piano output and speaker output, is an improvement on the CA67? I know they both have 6 speaker systems but I'm curious to know if there's a huge difference in quality.

These things are so subjective, it's impossible to say which sound you will prefer. As Steve notes, it's a little like comparing cars - some folks love Mercedes, others prefer BMW. Both companies produce excellent cars, just as Kawai and Roland both produce excellent instruments.

The tonal character of the CA67 and HP605 vary considerably, partly because they are produced by different companies, but also because they utilise different techniques to generate the piano sound. Kawai utilises a combination of sampling and modelling to produce the piano sound, while the latest Roland HP/LX models rely exclusively on modelling. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches, as discussed elsewhere on the forum. However, the underlying questions will remain: which instrument feels and sounds most like an acoustic piano, and which one will bring the most musical enjoyment to you and your family. Really, the only way to answer those questions is to spend time with your family play-testing all the instruments under consideration - including the Roland HP605.

Originally Posted by Miguel7
Secondly what are your thoughts on how the CA97 stacks up against both the CA67 and HP605 (am aware of the mobility issue with the CA97)? Even in a living room space with it up against the wall, am I going to feel the difference with the improved sound system from the CA97? I will practice largely with headphones in the evenings and perhaps be more prone to letting the sound out on weekends smile

The CA97's speaker system is quite a step-up from the CA67. In addition to the wooden soundboard speaker, the CA97's other speakers are also upgraded for higher fidelity - both will make a difference at higher volumes, but can also be appreciated at lower volumes. If you will be predominantly playing the instrument using headphones, the CA67 is arguably the most suitable purchase, however if you intend to play mostly through the instrument's speakers, I believe the extra cost of the CA97 can be justified.

I hope this helps - best of luck with your decision!

Kind regards,
James
x

ps. I strongly agree with the recommendation of including your child in the decision making process. I believe it's very important for children to feel a 'connection' with the instrument they're playing.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
James said it best! smile

K
K
Thanks very much for the quick replies guys.
I likely will go for the hp506; CB is oos. Will wait to see if the price of PE drops a little after Xmas as lessons are not starting before new year anyway.
Mind more at peace now that we are not missing out on a crucial trick with the CA67 as I read that its very important for kids to develop their finger strength etc.
Happy holidays.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Miguel,

I already answered in your other thread in the Piano forum before I saw this thread here, so just in case you don't see it there, let me quote myself:

Originally Posted by JoBert
I've recently faced the exact same decision: HP605, CA-67 or CA-97?

The store where I tested first only had the LX-7, not the HP605. The LX-7 is a bit outside of my price range, but to my knowledge it has the same action and modeled sounds as the HP605, so I played it anyway.
The store also only had the CA-67, not the CA-97. Between the Roland (LX-7) and Kawai (CA-67) I personally preferred both the action and the sounds of the Kawai (but that is entirely subjective and I could totally understand if someone's preference is entirely the reverse - the Roland is a very fine DP!).

So the Roland was out, but the question remained: CA-67 or CA-97? The latter quite a bit more expensive, with the only substantial difference being the sound system.

The next day I went to a different store and tried the CA-97 and I needed less than 5 minutes to decide that I'm totally willing to pay the 880 EUR extra just for the better sound in the CA-97. To me personally, the sound through the sound board in the CA-97 was so much better than the speaker-only sound of the CA-67. Not only that, I could feel the vibrations in the keys and the pedal, just playing at very low shop-compatible volume.

So I ordered the CA-97 (not yet delivered, but I'm waiting on hot coals here).

Again, that preference is highly subjective, but I really recommend to try to play the CA-97 yourself before your decide, if it is inside your budget. You might come to the same conclusion.

Regarding the "it's just up against a wall anyway" argument. That's certainly true, and the sound may be better if it were free standing (I don't know that, actually), but the same argument is true for most acoustic uprights too. Their sound board is usually up against a wall too, but for them it's considered normal operating mode. The CA-97 actually has an equalizer setting where you can specify if your unit is against a wall or free standing, although since mine hasn't arrived yet, I can't say if that is actually useful or just a gimmick.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If it was my choice, I would go for the Kawai, since it has a keyboard that is much more realistic for my taste. Besides, sampled pianos still offer a slightly more realistic sound, although modeled pianos are arguably not far behind. On the other hand, modeled pianos are arguably more playable and fluid. So the result for me is 2:1 in Kawai's favor. Once again, that's my personal opinion and I would recommend that you play both and decide for yourself.

Last edited by CyberGene; 12/22/15 06:26 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
Miguel7 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you all for the amazing information. You've all helped open my eyes more to this. Judging from what you've all said, and that some clearly prefer the Roland sound, we are going today to check out the Roland HP605 and HP504; I can't find any dealers in Denmark Street that currently have the 508, but the 504 will at least give me an idea. I had read about the bendy keys issue in HP5xx models, I'm pretty sure an overly clicky keyboard will annoy me and I won't be able to ignore it so I'll look out for that on the 504. I see this is one of the improvements Roland have made in the HP605, where the key mechanics have been improved.

My daughter is also certainly involved in the decision making smile

If they have the CA97 I'll give that a try too, to see how it compares with the CA67 but it is highly unlikely my wife will allow that budget hike after my last hike request was accepted smile

I will be sure to post this afternoon with my thoughts.

A final question, assuming I'm not going to be able to play around with the volume on these pianos too much, how do you all think the speaker system on the HP605 and CA67 compare? My impressions seem to be they are fairly comparable?

Last edited by Miguel7; 12/22/15 07:03 AM.

Kawai CA67
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission