2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, 5 invisible), 1,339 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2492362 12/20/15 03:58 PM
F
OP Offline
F
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiSkvWMnOvJAhUMFT4KHdNOA88QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpianopricepoint.com%2Fmodel-index%2F&bvm=bv.110151844,d.cWw&psig=AFQjCNFERgXNNPYOxBhjWN0Ti78MluS0fA&ust=1450727704062055

If you look on the outer rim where the piano curves there is a handle or knob. Does anyone know what this is? They are on the BP 190 & 178 on Bladwin's website but the one I am looking to purchase does not. Anyone? Thank you.

F
OP Offline
F
Ok people I have answered my own question. It is apparently a turning knob for the locking mechanism for the lid. Why it is showing on the BP 178 on the Baldwin website and not on the new piano at my dealer I don't know. Could the piano I am looking at have been constructed so long ago that a design change has taken place since?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I wasn't able to follow your link but what you are describing is a catch for the lid to help it stay closed while the piano is being moved.

The Baldwin models you referenced now have a hydraulic lid but earlier models did not, so that is probably why the knob is missing. With the hydraulic lid it is considered a necessary feature.

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist
S
S
New link please!

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
It is a lid locking mechanism. If the piano your are buying is without it, you will at least never experience the buzz that piece of hardware is capable of making. In my book that is a plus!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
[Linked Image]

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
It is a lid locking mechanism. If the piano your are buying is without it, you will at least never experience the buzz that piece of hardware is capable of making. In my book that is a plus!
+1
Paying techs to chase down a buzz/rattle is no fun at all!

Pianist and Piano Teacher
D
D
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT

Ed, after first seeing these devices, the thought of someone drilling a hole through the side of a perfectly good concert grand piano rim sent a chill up my spine! Pianos have been moved without such devices for years, as piano lids have been lowered without hydraulics/pneumatics, which I think are large and unsightly IMHO. What's next, holes for cupholders bored through the music desk support, tv stands screwed to the bentside, adjustable shelving rails attached to the spine, wine cooler hanging beside the lyre, lifting rings in the string plate, Nok Hockey board built into the lid, and the pièce de résistance, the remote control fallboard? Where's it gonna' all stop??!!!

grin

I think this is all about finding something to add to "the same old piano" to make it stand out in some way more than anything else, much like the new fad in automobile headlights, whereas the manufacturers are now adding strips of white LED's around the perimeter of or parallel to the headlight fixtures, which don't particularly add any illumination to the roadway ahead, but are morseo designed for brand recognition than anything else. I think the first to do this was Mercedes Benz, and then other manufacturers were quick to follow suit, similar to how this once concert grand piano only accoutrement has trickled down to the Baldwin BP178, which is only 5'-10"...

Regards,
Andy

1979 Yamaha C7D
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
These locks are more common on European pianos than American pianos.

Semipro Tech
BDB #2492573 12/21/15 01:05 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BDB
These locks are more common on European pianos than American pianos.

My 130-year-old Bluthner has just such a knob.

S
S
That sir, is orange juice.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Is there such a thing as a piano with a cupholder? I've seen pictures of pianos with candle holders and the like, but considering the number of people who play the piano with a glass of whiskey or whatever close to hand... ? I've never seen a picture of a piano with a cupholder, though.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Originally Posted by FrankCox
Is there such a thing as a piano with a cupholder? I've seen pictures of pianos with candle holders and the like, but considering the number of people who play the piano with a glass of whiskey or whatever close to hand... ? I've never seen a picture of a piano with a cupholder, though.

I always practice first thing in the morning, and one of the only reasons I like to play hands separate is that I can hold my coffee in one hand and sip while my other hand plays. I've always thought pianos should come with cupholders. That being said, I couldn't bear to drill a hole in my piano, so I want to have my husband, who's a bit of a metal artist, to fashion me a free standing cup holder that will conform artfully to my piano.

D
D
According to most piano techs, and I myself quite agree, that resting a cup of whatever liquid beside the music desk of a grand piano is as dangerous as being blindfolded and naked while juggling chainsaws running at their full RPM while balanced on one foot atop a giant saguaro cactus located in the middle of a burning lake of fire with scorpions and fire ants in little fireproof rowboats circling around it in a windstorm.

It's just an accident waiting to happen!

Call me nuts but I don't even like to rest a pair of glasses on the music desk support, and if I DO have a drink, I keep it on a nearby stand or table where it should be, away from my piano, where I'll grab it when desired.

There are already too many avenues for casual and unintended refuse to drop into the action and cause possible mechanical damage, so why raise the bar by adding liquid damage to the mix? I can just hear all the cursing after an owner knocks their Coke over, then is privi to the new Coke voiced hammers striking their treble unisons with a squishy "shthwing" sound and the liquid contained therein spraying up at the same time across the adjoining strings, pinblock, and soundboard?

frown

Not me!!!

Regards,
Andy

1979 Yamaha C7D
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by FrankCox
Is there such a thing as a piano with a cupholder?

I thought they were standard on the Steinlager pianos -- extra wide cheek blocks with a circular recess for large beer mugs.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
No food or drink is allowed in the half of the room my piano inhabits. Period. Water is kept 6 feet away in a sports bottle on the dining table.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
S
S
Peanuts, that's what that is!

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
1776 again? You are such a wag, siveron, LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DrewBone
According to most piano techs, and I myself quite agree, that resting a cup of whatever liquid beside the music desk of a grand piano is as dangerous as being blindfolded and naked while juggling chainsaws running at their full RPM while balanced on one foot atop a giant saguaro cactus located in the middle of a burning lake of fire with scorpions and fire ants in little fireproof rowboats circling around it in a windstorm.

Mr. Gould was living on the edge!

Last edited by Plowboy; 12/22/15 11:14 AM.

Gary
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by frankiefingers
Ok people I have answered my own question. It is apparently a turning knob for the locking mechanism for the lid. Why it is showing on the BP 178 on the Baldwin website and not on the new piano at my dealer I don't know. Could the piano I am looking at have been constructed so long ago that a design change has taken place since?

There should also be a pin and strike plate associated with the knob latch. The idea was to provide a sort of heavy duty attachment between the lid and case for pianos that get moved a lot. It helps somewhat to protect the hinges from lateral loading. For a personal piano at home, you're better off without it.

Like the sostenuto, it's one of those not quite successful but not quite failed ideas.

Last edited by JohnSprung; 12/22/15 03:36 PM.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission