2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
47 members (chaplincap, accordeur, blueviewlaguna., anotherscott, computron, dhull100, 1957, David B, 14 invisible), 431 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
No lessons for the next 4 weeks....
#2491796 12/18/15 04:56 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I just had my lesson last night .. and due to Christmas break and my teacher's travel on the first 2 weeks of January, I won't have lessons for the next 4 weeks ..

Sad ... Finally I have lots of free time to practice, but no lessons..

My homework consisted of Hungarian Rhapsody from Alfred 2, and the first 2 lines of Mozart's Sonata in F Major.

The remaining of the Sonata looks really daunting .. and my teacher discouraged me from going through it too far without lesson for fear of ingraining bad fingerings/mistake.

Maybe I will use the time to polish past pieces then.

Just want commiserate with those who might be in the same boat with me ...

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: No lessons for the next 4 weeks....
HappyBee #2491813 12/18/15 06:10 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I will be two weeks without lessons. They will resume the first week of January, so I guess we are in the same boat in a way.

It's hard at least for me to practice during the holidays, but I know we both will try to keep "at it".

So I wish all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. Let's keep making music.

HappyBee #2491821 12/18/15 06:36 PM
f3r Offline
About 4 weeks for me too...
This is my assignment for January

Scales up to at least 4 sharps and flats. Until now I worked on C,F,G,D Major and relative minors (only harmonic and melodic). Recently started Eb and Bb major and relative minors.

3-4 etudes from Czerny Op.849 (I started n.4 a week ago)
3-4 etudes from Pozzoli 24 piccoli studi facili e progressivi (N.20 started a week ago)

Work on Clementi Op.36 n.3
Work on Bach Invention 4

I have a lot of time but a great part of it is spent on scales...
It should not matter if I skip a thing or two, my teacher doesn't want me to become crazy. Maybe I should work on scales a bit less, I'm not sure.

Mark

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA97
HappyBee #2491822 12/18/15 06:41 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Since I don't have a teacher, I am ALWAYS in that position. grin

What about dropping back a level and playing some of the nice, simple classical pieces that are slightly below your level. It would be great sight reading practice, and you might enjoy completing and polishing several, fun to hear and play pieces.

Books such as the Faber Developing Artist series, Celebration Series, Keith Snell Piano Repertoire Barque & Classical, Hal Leonard Journey Through the Classics, Alfred's Masterworks Classics, and Helen Marlais' In Recital series all have many simple, yet nice sounding pieces that you could read, play, and polish in a relatively short time.

You could also explore and play from the IMSLP, something I still want to do, myself. Either way, you could stay sharp, and have fun, all at the same time.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
Ralphiano #2491843 12/18/15 08:01 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Out for 3 weeks here. My teacher rarely gives me assignments - I know what I need to do...

But there is definitely a feeling of freedom during these breaks. I don't have to prepare for a lesson next week, or the week after - but eventually it catches up with you!

So keep practicing!

Sam

HappyBee #2491909 12/18/15 11:30 PM
M
M
I changed teachers a week after Thanksgiving and will not start until the second week of January. It's killing me. I don't know how self taught people do it. It isn't that I am not motivated to play without a teacher it is just I know how much more a teacher can help you improve. On my own I improve by tiny infinitesimal bits, but with a teacher I improve by much larger bits and in ways that I can't notice on my own. Not improving as much is demotivating.

It doesn't help that mainly what I need work on is technique which I can't really work on without expert guidance. So I am just working on memorizing Liszt's Romance in E-Minor. It is challenging enough but I hate not having feedback because it could be a heck of a lot better in the dynamics and phrasing. I'm working on sight reading and theory as well but ugh I miss feeling like there is a high point in my week to look forward to things.

I just keep telling myself that I have a road trip this weekend, Christmas the next, New Years the next, and then Piano again. I really hope it flys by because piano is my other life!!!

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine." -Beethoven
HappyBee #2491976 12/19/15 08:53 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Room for one more in the boat?

I have been teacherless for nearly two months and I hate it. Still practicing every day but I really miss the feedback and extra motivational boost of weekly lessons. I'm highly doubtful that I can do much more than tread water in my piano journey without a teacher.

Life has kind of intruded on my finding a solution for the last month, but I don't intend to let this go on once the holidays are over. So, pass me a paddle and let's get this boat ashore asap!

Goldberg Variations-Aria, JS Bach
Un Bel Di - Puccini
Musetta's Waltz - Puccini

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
HappyBee #2491988 12/19/15 10:01 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm hanging with you folks, floating in the same boat. It's been three weeks, two days, 7 hours and 26 minutes.... "Only do the first 4 lines" she said. Yeah sure! Meanwhile I've done the whole piece, finished the "banned" part of another one, and started an entirely new one. I'm sure I will have to unlearn and relearn the lot from scratch. Scales, arpeggios, broken chords till my fingers are numb....

Sorry you're teacherless JimF, that sucks. Here's a paddle...

cheers,
Cathryn.

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
HappyBee #2491999 12/19/15 10:40 AM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I also have a 4 weeks break. And while in some way I always miss the weekly lessons, it's also a relief. I need the break. I've had a heavy workload for this autumn and little time for the piano. To try to progress in several pieces for every lesson has been quite stressful. I only have one Chopin prelude and one Scarlatti sonata as actual homework. So now I can enjoy just polishing further the pieces from this fall, hopefully make some recordings and then we will start fresh new ones in January.

Last edited by outo; 12/19/15 10:41 AM.
HappyBee #2492000 12/19/15 10:44 AM
P
P
Well, I will have three weeks break before lesson resumes. But I will have recital on January 9th, so I do have something to work on and polish. The only thing is that I will be playing duet with my teacher at the recital and it is kind of hard to practice alone during the break. I guess I can try to get my part better and maybe even memorize it.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
HappyBee #2492190 12/19/15 10:30 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I called Obama, and he promised to send in a plane full of unemployed counselors and psychologists trained in PTSD (Post Teacher Separation Disorder). It's all free, and, confidential, of course.

No one should have to suffer like this!
grin

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
HappyBee #2492294 12/20/15 10:55 AM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I'm out for two weeks, and I'm preparing for an audition. It's frustrating, but nothing we can do about the holidays frown

HappyBee #2492296 12/20/15 11:22 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm scheduled for weekly lessons as usual, and I have 2 weeks off of work so I get more practice time! What a wonderful gift!

Learner
malkin #2492430 12/20/15 08:41 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am actually only missing one lesson. Since my lessons are on Fridays and Christmas and Near Years are also on Friday this year, I just assumed my next lesson would not be until the Friday after New Year's. Well when I asked, my teacher said I'll see you the Friday after Christmas. I reminded him that was New Year's day and he said he is teaching that day. He's just taking from Thursday to Thursday off so no one has to miss more than one lesson. I don't know how many students he will get on New Year's but he sure is dedicated. I have gone to a friends on New Year's in the afternoon for years so asked if he could do my lesson earlier at 11 instead of 1 and he was fine with that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
HappyBee #2492458 12/20/15 10:49 PM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
I have a lesson this coming week and then nothing until the second week of January. I welcome the break.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

HappyBee #2492626 12/21/15 03:44 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm missing three lessons. Since until last year I had a lesson every second week instead of weekly lessons, I don't consider it so bad.

Also, every year I have a much longer break from half of June to the beginning of October. Believe me, this is really hard!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
HappyBee #2492707 12/21/15 08:30 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Hey ... the boat seems to get bigger with students with PTSD (Post Teacher Separation Disorder) - good one Raubucho!

Got good suggestions on what to do to fill the void ... I am planning to polish my old pieces like what Outo suggested. I revisited an old piece this morning, and it's sad to see how much I lost it since I played it last.

Pianofan1017 and itsfreakingmeout ... good luck on your recital and audition! Early January is a challenging time to have recital/audition .. you got to jump right into it after the holidays.

Malkin, we will just have to live vicariously through you .. smile Enjoy your continued lesson and let us know of your progress!

HappyBee #2492718 12/21/15 08:45 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HappyBee
the first 2 lines of Mozart's Sonata in F Major.
The remaining of the Sonata looks really daunting .. and my teacher discouraged me from going through it too far without lesson for fear of ingraining bad fingerings/mistake.

which one of the sonata in F? K280, K332, or K533
One side of me does agree with your teacher, but the other say" (F-bomb) it! 4 weeks is a very long time and you can take a pretty decent read through, at least the whole exposition, slow and accurate.

;-)

Ataru074 #2492729 12/21/15 09:31 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Ataru074
Originally Posted by HappyBee
the first 2 lines of Mozart's Sonata in F Major.

which one of the sonata in F? K280, K332, or K533
One side of me does agree with your teacher, but the other say" (F-bomb) it! 4 weeks is a very long time and you can take a pretty decent read through, at least the whole exposition, slow and accurate.

;-)

It's the K332 ... any thoughts about the piece Ataru?

HappyBee #2492730 12/21/15 09:34 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
I am having the hammers on my piano replaced after the first of the year, and was about ready to crawl into the PTSD boat, as my teacher saw no reason for lessons if I could not practice... I thought about whether I could live without a piano for 3-4 weeks, and decided NO! (Don't Know What To Call Practice Withdrawals) so I have a digital piano in the mail. Probably not as good as most of you digital-guys have, but decent, where practice will be effective. Relief!!

Maybe Ralph can think of the appropriate acronym for practice withdrawals.... Practice Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (POCD) maybe?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Save my sanity: CLP-785 vs CA-99 vs N1X vs ...
by tofupiano - 10/31/20 06:01 PM
Late '90s Yamaha U1 MSRP/SMP?
by re22 - 10/31/20 06:01 PM
Piano tariffs in the US?
by Sweelinck - 10/31/20 05:11 PM
Kawai Novus NV5 'loud note' problem
by John Dean - 10/31/20 03:54 PM
Beethoven and Bechstein
by OE1FEU - 10/31/20 03:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,515
Posts3,019,251
Members99,089
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission