2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (Beowulf, anotherscott, ambrozy, AndrewJCW, accordeur, BK-FRANK, Beansparrow, 13 invisible), 593 guests, and 590 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Input Needed On AvantGrand N2 vs. Acoustic - New Questions
andythefiredog #2378433 01/26/15 06:38 PM
A
OP Offline
A
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iw10rs20wjezlp/Photo%20Jan%2023%2C%208%2054%2030%20PM.jpg?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/gaxaywfwsuuv6yk/Photo%20Jan%2023%2C%208%2054%2040%20PM.jpg?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghxv3np81noakua/Photo%20Jan%2023%2C%208%2054%2055%20PM.jpg?dl=0[/img]

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
andythefiredog #2378541 01/27/15 02:42 AM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by andythefiredog
Overall I'm thrilled and the feel is exceptional. I definitely thing the correct setting in my enviroment is lowering the reverb and upping the TRS, now to just make it the default. Manual time!
Unfortunately, one lacking thing about the AG is the clunky interface and control. Not very intuitive and you need to consult the manual for many things. Don't be surprised if you figure out that you can't have certain settings as default upon turn on.

One thing you may also want to try is to set the action sensitivity setting to make it more sensitive. I personally like this feel a lot better than the default. Unfortunately you can't change it as the default. Just have to remember to do a few key strokes to set it up upon power up.

I know, why can't they do that on such an expensive instrument? It's not like they can't. It's almost as if they chose not to, because some settings you can save as default but others you can't. Go figure.

andythefiredog #2378677 01/27/15 11:48 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Is that really so bad?

My upright piano has fixed settings. It ALWAYS remembers those settings ... and it doesn't let me change any of them!

So perhaps the AG is meant to be like an acoustic: Buy it because you like the way it is. The way it will always be.

MacMacMac #2378777 01/27/15 04:35 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
So perhaps the AG is meant to be like an acoustic: Buy it because you like the way it is. The way it will always be.

An acoustic grand can be adjusted in many ways by a technican, there are not "default settings", every instrument is unique. So you buy something you already like, but then you get someone to work on it to make it sound really great.

Richwood RD-17C-CE | LaMancha Rubi CM-N | Yamaha P-515
andythefiredog #2378830 01/27/15 06:28 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
If a pianist also happens to be a technician then the piano could be set to default parameters similar to a digital. Of course, if the pianist/technician wants a brighter sound per se, he/she will need to literally harden the hammers and then some.

I love acoustics, but I'd expect by now a self-tuning/regulating Steinway. Just imagine being able to make your Steinway sound brighter/darker at the touch of a button, and better yet, not having to deal with tuners and their greasy sandwiches on your piano (not all tuners come with greasy sandwiches; some tuners are very professional and usually have their lunch once they've completed the job).

andythefiredog #2378840 01/27/15 06:46 PM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Yeah, I think Yamaha's intention is probably to have users just turn it on and play and everyone has the same consistent experience by default from the same piano, so there won't be confusion on the consistency of the quality of the feel and the sound. I'm pretty sure they can allow customized settings be saved as default if they want to (and they actually have done so on some settings), so it has to be intentional for them to not allow other (more important?) settings to remain unchanged as the default.

andythefiredog #2378857 01/27/15 07:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can understand them wanting it always to come on with the defaults, so that one person can't mess it up for anyone else who comes to play, particularly in non-obvious ways.

But there should be a compromise such as some easily accessible, dedicated Setup buttons, which with a single press allow you to recall all your custom settings. Place them by the power switch so that you can power on and select your personal setup in a single motion. Or maybe a large, very obvious switch with Default and Custom positions.

Which is better? I don't know, but that's why you make prototypes and employ usability testing throughout product development. Or at least they should. Some DPs make it seem like there wasn't any usability testing at all... cool

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
andythefiredog #2488392 12/07/15 06:44 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that it's the single-best discussion on the relative merits of the N2 I've yet read.

Like OP, I agonized over various factors of an N2 vs a small acoustic GP (in my case several Yamaha G1 models, new and used), and ultimately came to the decision that the N2 was unbeatable relative to size, practice privacy, lack of tuning maintenance, feel and sound production.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to flip off the first dealer I approached, as his "discount" price was $11,300 plus tax (with free delivery), and he sported a personality to match. I found an N2 at another dealer for $8,600 plus tax (free delivery), and the guy was so helpful and insightful about these instruments that I decided not to haggle, and do my small part to keep him in business.

Before this purchase, I tried everything -- flagship models from Roland, Kawai, Yamaha, as well as very-off-the-beaten-track brands that can (on occasion) surprise with unexpected quality in one way or another. The AG line was so clearly superior to the others that the only question became that of price. It was interesting; I tried the N3 several times, and the sound simply didn't cut it compared to the N2 -- too fluffy and weirdly projected. The dealer from whom I ultimately bought the N2 had the same reaction; he prefers the N1-2 to the N3 on purely sonic grounds.

Anyway -- I'm just thrilled with the purchase, and want to thank you guys for the excellent mulling-over you did on the N2 in this thread. I anticipate years of joy as a result.

Last edited by cairnie; 12/07/15 08:19 AM.
cairnie #2488892 12/08/15 06:49 PM
F
F

Cairnie, THANKS. I sent you a PM by the way. Appreciate your post.

Faulhorn

Originally Posted by cairnie
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that it's the single-best discussion on the relative merits of the N2 I've yet read.

Like OP, I agonized over various factors of an N2 vs a small acoustic GP (in my case several Yamaha G1 models, new and used), and ultimately came to the decision that the N2 was unbeatable relative to size, practice privacy, lack of tuning maintenance, feel and sound production.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to flip off the first dealer I approached, as his "discount" price was $11,300 plus tax (with free delivery), and he sported a personality to match. I found an N2 at another dealer for $8,600 plus tax (free delivery), and the guy was so helpful and insightful about these instruments that I decided not to haggle, and do my small part to keep him in business.

Before this purchase, I tried everything -- flagship models from Roland, Kawai, Yamaha, as well as very-off-the-beaten-track brands that can (on occasion) surprise with unexpected quality in one way or another. The AG line was so clearly superior to the others that the only question became that of price. It was interesting; I tried the N3 several times, and the sound simply didn't cut it compared to the N2 -- too fluffy and weirdly projected. The dealer from whom I ultimately bought the N2 had the same reaction; he prefers the N1-2 to the N3 on purely sonic grounds.

Anyway -- I'm just thrilled with the purchase, and want to thank you guys for the excellent mulling-over you did on the N2 in this thread. I anticipate years of joy as a result.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to sound like Scriabin
by pianoloverus - 01/22/21 08:10 PM
Most realistic Piano VST?
by Rickdiculous - 01/22/21 06:13 PM
An exemplary piano quiz
by Withindale - 01/22/21 05:57 PM
First DP -- PC Connectivity Question
by Mikex3 - 01/22/21 03:09 PM
CA99 vs LX706
by David Izquierdo - 01/22/21 02:50 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,471
Posts3,050,306
Members100,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission