2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
61 members (bobrunyan, c++, chih-wei, chipsneeze, accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 430 guests, and 493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 12 in A, K. 414
#2483750 11/23/15 05:43 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello all,

it's been a while, I hope everyone is well. Early this year, in February, I got a chance to play, for the first time since high school days, together with an (amateur) orchestra near my hometown. They even let me propose which concerto to play.

There was only one concert and in the excitement before that I forgot my Zoom H4 at home. But luckily someone else recorded the whole concert. I have only received this recording last week; it gave me a nice little souvenir of an unforgettable Sunday morning. During the concert it started snowing outside and through the big windows I could see the snowflakes dancing. It made me think of the lively winter scenes in Dutch painting, especially in the 3rd movement, which is why I introduce that movement with one of my favorite paintings by Hendrick Avercamp in the Youtube video.

All people involved were amateur musicians, and by professional standards this will likely be a bit painful to listen to... blush Still, hopefully, a tiny reflection of our collective joy of celebrating this wonderful music of Mozart can be conveyed in the recording (of course, criticism is also invited and welcome).

Re: Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 12 in A, K. 414
pianovirus #2483809 11/23/15 09:15 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I only listened to the first movement. I found the tempo to be a touch slow. It's a pity the orchestra was pretty bad. It detracts from your performance.

pianovirus #2483851 11/24/15 12:09 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually I have to disagree about the orchestra. As amateur orchestras go, that one was quite good. The strings were mostly in tune. A few clackers from the brass, but all in all not bad.

On the other hand you're playing was really very good. There are some tricky 3 aganst 2 that goes back and forth from common time to triple time that I thought you handled especially well. I'm not very familiar with this concerto but, about Mozart:

He's too easy for children to play and too difficult for adults. Maybe a slightly lighter touch on the portamento figures in the left hand would have been nice. When it comes to Mozart I also like the least amount of pedaling possible. Maybe in a few small spots you used pedal as a crutch when it would have sounded cleaner without it. Maybe you played staccato when it wasn't marked to do so, but the playing overall was very good. Excellent level!

Do or do not. There is no try.
pianovirus #2488616 12/07/15 08:04 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I did not get an email notification of your postings. Thanks to both of you for listening and for the comments and suggestions.

One remark about the orchestra: I was very happy to have found one which was willing to play with me, so no matter how it sounds to other listeners, I am very grateful for this opportunity. And it was lots of fun! smile

pianovirus #2488636 12/07/15 10:06 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I won't comment on the playing, I'm not a big Mozart player, but congrats on playing with orchestra! It's a great feeling smile

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
pianovirus #2488668 12/08/15 01:23 AM
B
B
Hi Pianovirus,

Thanks so much for posting! I don’t think the orchestra was too bad either!

I really loved your playing, and I thought you articulated everything really really well and had good balance between hands. I think it’s easy in Mozart for the left hand to impeded the in the right hand line, but that wasn’t the case at all! It was a really friendly light-hearted and playful performance and I think it perfectly captured the essence of Mozart.

smile

pianovirus #2490193 12/13/15 04:36 AM
M
M
Excellent piano playing, very "Mozart" piano concert, I hadn't heard this one before. I loved the whole recording. Having been in (very) amateur orchestras when I was in college as second cello, I have to say this one was pretty good. The directing was also very good, as the conversation between the piano and orchestra was fully in-sync in the critical sections.

pianovirus #2492976 12/22/15 05:19 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you all for the encouraging comments, and wishing all of you Merry Christmas / happy holidays!

pianovirus #2495392 12/30/15 10:26 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed it very much. You played with great energy and vivacity especially in the first movement. You just sounded so delighted to be doing it and you and the orchestra sounded like you were having a genuine conversation. The cadenza threatened to go off the rails in places but I didn't even care. You used quite a bit of heft in your left hand, some people wouldn't do that for this piece, but maybe you were balancing the orchestra which sounded rather treble-heavy. Congratulations on a thoroughly delightful and engaging performance.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,171
Posts3,029,031
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission