Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
110 registered members (Beowulf, bobrunyan, accordeur, barbaram, bogbrush, Animisha, Bill McKaig,RPT, Beemer, 23 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need help understanding my CFX-228 Pianodisc player #2488472
12/07/15 12:43 PM
12/07/15 12:43 PM
M
michelleanderson Offline OP
michelleanderson  Offline OP
M

First thanks in advanced for any help you can give me! It's really appreciated as I feel like I'm not usually pretty good at figuring things out but wouldn't say I'm techy or really understand what I'm doing here in tech terms. I recently purchased a used Weber baby grand with a CFX-228 piano player in it. I've been reading the posts on here about the system and have contacted Pianodisc, who just told me I should upgrade my system. this may be in the cards at some point but since I just spent a considerable amount of money on a piano with need to wait a bit. Here are my issues/questions:

1. I'd like to get more music for my player. Can I buy music from Pianodisc's website and convert it into a usable type file for my player. I have a 2012 I-Mac. What do I need to do?

2. Is there a way to take piano MP-3s and convert them into the type of Wav file that will play on my player. What program would I need?

3. My Mac isn't wanting to burn my CD's imported from Musiconnect into iTunes. Do I need to do something special? It just keeps saying to insert a blank cd. I've tried burning to CD-R disk's. Do I need another type. Also I was burning as a data file because I read online this is what I should do.

4. The Pianodisc player works great with CD's I've purchased and discs but the screen doesn't light up anymore. I can use the remote it came with and make all the functions work. Can I set up the cd jack with an airport express or blue tooth player without this screen lighting up? Which is the better option blue-tooth or airport express?

Last edited by michelleanderson; 12/07/15 12:44 PM.
Re: Need help understanding my CFX-228 Pianodisc player [Re: michelleanderson] #2488770
12/08/15 10:36 AM
12/08/15 10:36 AM
M
michelleanderson Offline OP
michelleanderson  Offline OP
M

Update:

I've downloaded the Mid2pianocd it works great. I just save the files from Mid2pianocd to my desktop on my Mac and then drag the files into iTunes. I've only burnt the discs using an external superdrive from Apple.

A great place great Christmas Midi file music is http://www.kuhmann.com/Yamaha.htm (I only downloaded the Midi Files Format and converted them to the correct format for my Pianodisc player.)

Also, I found if I used my flashlight on my phone and shined it on the display that I could read it. It wasn't broken after all. I'm a little nervous about setting up my airport. I'll update this experience once I've done it.

Re: Need help understanding my CFX-228 Pianodisc player [Re: michelleanderson] #2538935
05/11/16 11:28 PM
05/11/16 11:28 PM
Blue Mountains NSW AUSTRALIA
M
MrWups Offline
MrWups  Offline
M

Blue Mountains NSW AUSTRALIA
Michelle(?), I have just discovered this forum.

You will get much more quality reproduction from your piano using only raw midi.

I play raw midi directly from my computer into my piano via USB thru a cheap cable which has 2 midi plugs (in & out) running from a USB plug.

To use a raw midi you will need to open it using a free shareware midi editor such as MidiSwing or Aria Maestosa, covert it to Type 0 then adjust the note velocities down to suit your piano (so the hammers in your piano do not pound the strings too hard). Thereafter, any and every nuance of playback can be adjusted on screen in real time as you play back directly on the piano through the editor.

Here are the facts about .wav and other audio files used to play Yamaha Disklavier or Pianodisc:

Playback thru thru these pianos direct from raw midis is far superior to putting audio files thru the CD input which uses converted midis playing like a fax tone from much larger audio tracks. E.g. BACH Chaconne in the Busoni piano transcription occupies 70KB on midi but takes 32.2MB converted to an audio file. I understand that the audio protocol still used to make the CD signal goes back to the 70s when slow moving cassettes drove solenoid pianos and that the conversion process actually makes use of only 1/17th of the available data in the midi file! To play from raw midi is to play your piano digitally direct and extremely efficiently. To play from the CD or CD input by converting the midi to an audio signal is highly inefficient and vastly inferior in quality of output.

Ironic and surprising as it sounds, the old floppy discs are far superior in their quality of output compared to the CDs which replaced them, but I guess that Pianodisc & Disklavier still persist with CD as they can put real instrument accompaniments and voice on them. Raw midi can be also extracted from floppies.

Very few owners of Pianodisc or Disklavier realise the full potential of these remarkable instruments as they do not understand the technology which drives them.

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Resist the urge to play through - why??
by Animisha. 12/14/18 08:32 AM
XML
by LarryMan. 12/14/18 07:34 AM
Technics PR 100
by Tteedd. 12/14/18 07:16 AM
Which version do you prefer?
by Sibylle. 12/14/18 03:17 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,899
Posts2,771,116
Members91,758
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission