2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (Bentsch, David Boyce, DPAfficionado, Almar, Dr Bekken, barbaram, Doug M., Boboulus, dhts, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 463 guests, and 525 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Best Digital Piano - Touch & Tone? (Cost no object)
#2487365 12/04/15 04:20 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Presuming cost is not an issue for the moment, what digital pianos should we consider for the finest in touch and tone ? However, the piano sound will be ported to house speakers rather than out of the piano itself so the quality of the speakers in the piano actually does not matter as much as long as there are speakers.

At this point, I'm aware of the Yamaha Avant Grand series and the Roland V Piano Grand. These cost the most but I realize that cost does not always correlate with quality.

Context: This is for a church with some fine classical pianists. Someone had donated a lower quality grand some years back. The church has spend thousands trying to fix it and keep it in tune. Once bitten twice shy. So they are convinced that digital piano is the way to go - but want the best in touch and tone within the realm of a digital piano.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Thanks,
Faulhorn

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Best Digital Piano - Touch & Tone? (Cost no object)
faulhorn #2487369 12/04/15 04:46 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
In this situation, with a view to using external speakers but with requiring internal speakers as well I'd check out Kawai CA67/97 and Yamaha N1. The V-Piano has no internal speakers.

How well such a set up is going to work will depend a lot on the amplification chosen.

faulhorn #2487370 12/04/15 04:48 AM
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you are going through a speaker system, I'd recommend the combination of AvantGrand N1 + Pianoteq (for Pianoteq a computer is necessary, but any reasonably modern laptop will be enough).

The AvantGrands are the only digitals to have an actual grand piano action, important for classical pianists used to such an action. If you aren't using the in-built speakers I see no reason to prefer the more expensive models.

The AvantGrand sound engine is OK but it's several years old now and doesn't give anywhere near the expressive possibilities of a good modelled piano. It also gives no possibility of editing the sound: you have two grand piano sounds, and if you aren't happy with them, too bad! If you add Pianoteq, you have something that reacts like a real piano, and you can choose from a large number of piano sounds, which can all be edited in detail to suit the church acoustics and the speakers you are using.

Steinway A grand (1919), Richard Lipp grand (1913), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
faulhorn #2487371 12/04/15 04:54 AM
B
B
The best in touch must definitely be the avantgarde series, since it features a real acoustic action, which is "the real thing".

Soundwise it's possibly another story. I read that the sample set is pretty of age now, since yamaha's updates are scarce. And by the way, at least regarding the grandpiano variant, i've read the samples are somehow set up to sound right just thru the piano's own amplification / speakerset, which is directional and rather complex, while driving it's sound thru a standard amplification would lead to unsatisfying results.

So theorically, the top solution appears to be to couple it's top action to a Vst of choice, and then drive it thru external amplification.

But that looks REALLY expensive, beginning from the piano's price itself, and by the way could make arise some questions about the good "connection" between sound and action with different Vsts. So perhaps one would want to look at a more efficient compromise.

Last edited by Bellicapelli; 12/04/15 05:05 AM.

Kawai Ca63 - yamaha motif07 - Korg01fd
faulhorn #2487382 12/04/15 06:53 AM
A
A
I have tried the avantgrand and for me the touch was not as good as the Kawai CA67/97. I was very disappointed with that whole avantgrand range.

The roland sound is a love or hate thing - you either love it or hate it. I found the touch too light on the rolands.

You can't go wrong with Kawai CA series. It is not horrifically expensive either.

Last edited by AlexL; 12/04/15 06:54 AM.
faulhorn #2487385 12/04/15 07:08 AM
C
C
While Pianoteq may be fine for one's personal use, I would be hesitant to use a computer-based solution for a piano that is shared by many musicians. Not all of them may be excited by the prospect of learning all of the software features and startup procedures. They'll want to sit down and play. And if the computer "goes missing," you're toast.

Honestly, I would first look at getting a better (more recent) acoustic grand. Not all pianos are bad pianos, but some are. Most classical pianists like real pianos, and if price is not of paramount importance, have a piano technician help you find a more reliable instrument. I've learned to never accept a free piano. They aren't free.

If you go with a digital piano, I would talk to all of the pianists themselves. Their opinion is worth far more than the opinion of people you don't know on an Internet discussion group. Do any of them have preferred models? Do they prefer software emulations? Maybe arrange an expedition to a nearby showroom that has the high-end Kawai and Yamaha models and see if they can come to a consensus. But do get a recent model. I recently played on a Yamaha digital-in-a-grand-piano-case from several years back and really did not like the touch or the sound.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8
faulhorn #2487388 12/04/15 07:19 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by faulhorn
Presuming cost is not an issue for the moment, what digital pianos should we consider for the finest in touch and tone ? However, the piano sound will be ported to house speakers rather than out of the piano itself so the quality of the speakers in the piano actually does not matter as much as long as there are speakers.

At this point, I'm aware of the Yamaha Avant Grand series and the Roland V Piano Grand. These cost the most but I realize that cost does not always correlate with quality.

Context: This is for a church with some fine classical pianists. Someone had donated a lower quality grand some years back. The church has spend thousands trying to fix it and keep it in tune. Once bitten twice shy. So they are convinced that digital piano is the way to go - but want the best in touch and tone within the realm of a digital piano.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Thanks,
Faulhorn

Would you tell the difference in a church setting, between a decent concert grand, or an inexpensive digital? Years back, I played a concert Bluthner for a singer. And somebody else after us was using a digital, around 1985. It sounded better. . .

Just edited my earlier response. Not for me to judge these things . .

Last edited by peterws; 12/04/15 07:59 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
faulhorn #2487389 12/04/15 07:25 AM
B
B
Rodney's seems a good suggestion. "fine classical pianists" often don't get along well with digitals other than for silently practicing at night, worse with computers, and they have their "fine" reasons.

A sound and quality acoustic by the way should do fine with a couple of tunimg jobs a year. You simply might have a bad piano.

Kawai Ca63 - yamaha motif07 - Korg01fd
faulhorn #2487395 12/04/15 07:51 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
These acoustic Yamaha grand, whatever avant grand number it it, are great. I would personally choose that if for whatever reason, I could not have an acoustic.

peterws #2487401 12/04/15 08:09 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by peterws

Would you tell the difference in a church setting, between a decent concert grand, or an inexpensive digital? Years back, I played a concert Bluthner for a singer. And somebody else after us was using a digital, around 1985. It sounded better.

This was my thought too, especially as the audience will be listening principly through a PA system as I understand it. Also, I agree with the idea that a computer based system may not be appropriate unless there is a full time tech who looks after the equipment and is responsible for it.

The piano which sounds best through the PA is what will count here. I'd suggest Kawai ES8, Roland FP80 and Yamaha P255. Ideally, they should be tried in situ with as they will behave differently and sound very different through the PA. All of these have forward facing speakers which would be optimal for monitoring by the pianist.

Last edited by toddy; 12/04/15 08:12 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
ColoRodney #2487408 12/04/15 09:04 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
While Pianoteq may be fine for one's personal use, I would be hesitant to use a computer-based solution for a piano that is shared by many musicians. Not all of them may be excited by the prospect of learning all of the software features and startup procedures. They'll want to sit down and play. And if the computer "goes missing," you're toast.

Honestly, I would first look at getting a better (more recent) acoustic grand. Not all pianos are bad pianos, but some are. Most classical pianists like real pianos, and if price is not of paramount importance, have a piano technician help you find a more reliable instrument. I've learned to never accept a free piano. They aren't free.

If you go with a digital piano, I would talk to all of the pianists themselves. Their opinion is worth far more than the opinion of people you don't know on an Internet discussion group. Do any of them have preferred models? Do they prefer software emulations? Maybe arrange an expedition to a nearby showroom that has the high-end Kawai and Yamaha models and see if they can come to a consensus. But do get a recent model. I recently played on a Yamaha digital-in-a-grand-piano-case from several years back and really did not like the touch or the sound.

This. Fine classical pianists will not be happy with any digital, unless they have to compromise for things like silent practice or space constraints, money, etc. But if given a choice, they will always want an acoustic.

Your church was donated a piano which by the sounds of it, was not kept in good repair during it's life. Sometimes there's no saving some instruments. However, the value that you get from a good, regulated acoustic is well worth it. Since the OP says "cost no object", then you should be considering an acoustic.

I highly recommend that you talk with the pianists playing, and see if you can ask them what they would like. You will be trying to find a minimum size that would be suitable, since getting a concert grand is probably not in the budget.

Personally, I think if you buy a used Yamaha and have a technician give it a once-over before purchase to make sure it's in good shape, you can get a fair price. I recommend getting one that is bigger than 6' - preferably 7'. Have one of the pianists try it out as well before buying. If the church is gunshy about an acoustic, then perhaps buying new with a warranty would be best.

I just do not recommend a digital. The Kawai CA series is very good, but no digital can quite mimic an acoustic no matter how much money is thrown at it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
faulhorn #2487434 12/04/15 10:32 AM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
If the acoustic piano is going to be miked through the house speakers, then maybe a digital piano would sound better. The VST's are sampled/modeled after VERY expensive pianos.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
faulhorn #2487471 12/04/15 11:35 AM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Questions:

a) Is the piano normally going to be run through the house PA system,
or is the piano sometimes going to be used as a "standalone" instrument?

To put it differently:

. . . Does the piano need its own speakers strictly for monitoring by the player,
. . . or will they be listened to by other people?

If the speakers are just for monitoring, you have the whole world of "stage pianos" open to you. "Premium" models would include the Roland V-Piano and RD800, and the Kawai MP-11. Cover unused controls (everything but the "on/off" switch) with a piece of plastic. A small powered monitor speaker will let the player hear him/herself. It won't look like an acoustic piano, but it'll sound reasonably close to one, through a good PA system.

b) As Morodiene says, you really need "performer buy-in" on any digital piano. If you haven't consulted the musicians, you should do it early in the "piano replacement process".

c) Do you have a sound man during performances, or is your PA system "set and forget"?

Having a person controlling the PA system lets the player concentrate on _playing_, rather than worrying about how the piano sounds to the audience. It's difficult to judge sound balance in the pews, from the stage.

Please report back as you proceed. You're not the only person who's been in this pickle. I (for one) am interested in what you decide.

PS -- I forget what Morodiene currently plays in church, but I think it's a DP. And I think she has an MP-11. So she might have an informed opinion about:

. . . "Which DP involves the _least compromise_ of acoustic-piano
. . . touch and tone?"

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 12/04/15 11:51 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Charles Cohen #2487482 12/04/15 12:00 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

PS -- I forget what Morodiene currently plays in church, but I think it's a DP. And I think she has an MP-11. So she might have an informed opinion about:

. . . "Which DP involves the _least compromise_ of acoustic-piano
. . . touch and tone?"

While I own an MP11, my church owns a Yamaha CP4. The Yamaha is decent, but nothing that I would consider comparable to a good acoustic grand. But for DPs, it's good. The MP11 is much better as far as action, but where all DPs fall short is the sound.

Even if you go with the ideal digital piano sound available: using software pianos on a laptop, it still will not be like playing an acoustic to the pianists. No matter how loud you make it, it's the responsiveness that one gets from a good acoustic that just isn't reproduced through speakers. Pianists can adapt, but classical pianists are known for being difficult about this kind of thing. Chances are you'll hear no end of complaints from some of them. wink

Also I think a previous poster pointed out that using software pianos involves another level of learning on part of the pianists, and it could be a huge source of frustration for them if they can't get it to work or don't have knack for such things. A simple set up is best, where the pianist and just turn the thing on and play.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
MRC #2487577 12/04/15 04:07 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you everyone for the replies. Please keep the comments coming. I find a lot to gain from collective wisdom.

Currently, based on my reading online, it seems that AvantGrand does have the best actions. However, the modeling may leave something to be desired.

Question for you MRC, are you saying that one can use the Avant Grand+Pianoteq (with laptop), one can have all the expressiveness of the AvantGrand's design such as varied pedal position etc? I though the sound of the AvantGrand is tied to is own sampling and using 3rd party piano sounds reduces the nuanced functions. Is that not so?

My understanding is that the N1, N2 and N3 has the same key actions so there's no reason to prefer the N3 over N1 in that aspect. However, given that we are in a large auditorium that has been over damped to within an inch of its life (read - dead sounding) the sound over the piano speaker could matter. Does the N2 or N3 have speakers point more directly at the pianist's ear?

Thanks!
Faulhorn

Originally Posted by MRC
If you are going through a speaker system, I'd recommend the combination of AvantGrand N1 + Pianoteq (for Pianoteq a computer is necessary, but any reasonably modern laptop will be enough).

The AvantGrands are the only digitals to have an actual grand piano action, important for classical pianists used to such an action. If you aren't using the in-built speakers I see no reason to prefer the more expensive models.

The AvantGrand sound engine is OK but it's several years old now and doesn't give anywhere near the expressive possibilities of a good modelled piano. It also gives no possibility of editing the sound: you have two grand piano sounds, and if you aren't happy with them, too bad! If you add Pianoteq, you have something that reacts like a real piano, and you can choose from a large number of piano sounds, which can all be edited in detail to suit the church acoustics and the speakers you are using.

faulhorn #2487578 12/04/15 04:18 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
What do you mean by "I though the sound of the AvantGrand is tied to is own sampling and using 3rd party piano sounds reduces the nuanced functions." ?

Using 3rd party piano sounds will get a result depending of the 3rd party sound. Some use too few velocity levels, but some others are quite good. Ivory ACD has up to 20 velocity levels and blends samples from different levels to get you a different timbre for each nuance.

You also have VSL Vienna Imperial with 100 levels... but it is very expensive !

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
faulhorn #2487583 12/04/15 04:30 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
...Question for you MRC, are you saying that one can use the Avant Grand+Pianoteq (with laptop), one can have all the expressiveness of the AvantGrand's design such as varied pedal position etc? I though the sound of the AvantGrand is tied to is own sampling and using 3rd party piano sounds reduces the nuanced functions. Is that not so?

What's being suggested is simply that ANY Digital Piano with MIDI functionality (and most DP's DO have MIDI functionality) can support a software piano such as Pianoteq.

All that needs to be done is to turn down/off the volume of the DP's onboard sounds, and just use the sounds coming out of the software piano (your PC). That allows the best of both worlds - you get a DP with the best action that you can, then you get the software piano with the sounds that you prefer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "nuanced functions", but most software pianos are fairly sophisticated in their features and "tweakability".

One caveat: You will need either a) speakers coming out of your PC to play the software piano's sounds OR b) you'll need a Digital Piano with a "Line-In" port to send the PC's sound back into the piano and play thru the piano's speakers. In a large hall, you're better off with Option A.

I hope this helps.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
faulhorn #2487586 12/04/15 04:44 PM
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Question for you MRC, are you saying that one can use the Avant Grand+Pianoteq (with laptop), one can have all the expressiveness of the AvantGrand's design such as varied pedal position etc? I though the sound of the AvantGrand is tied to is own sampling and using 3rd party piano sounds reduces the nuanced functions. Is that not so?

Only with respect to the particular speaker systems in the AvantGrands. The sound engine of the AvantGrands is tailored to suit the four channel speaker systems of these instruments. A third party sound won't be able to make use of this, so there is a certain advantage to using the built in sounds when playing through the instrument's own speakers. If the piano is being played through an external speaker system the AvantGrand sound will be transmitted as normal stereo, so with external speakers this advantage disappears.

Apart from that, a third party sound can react to all nuances of touch and pedalling as well as, or maybe even better than, the AvantGrand's own sound.

Steinway A grand (1919), Richard Lipp grand (1913), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
faulhorn #2487591 12/04/15 05:03 PM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi friend is a very difficult thing to find both features in the same package, in my particular taste, maybe a combination of Kawai CA97 key action for touch with Roland LX17 sound generator (maybe a Roland Integra 7) would be a perfect match for your desired search. Have a nice day...!

faulhorn #2487601 12/04/15 05:34 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks. So to respond to your questions:

1. The space is too large for an acoustic piano (can seat 800) so the sound for its intended purposes will always be through the house PA. The piano will also be playing alongside a band often so another reason that we need amplification.

This is another reason for going away from acoustic piano - it's been a pain to mic our current acoustic properly.

2. That said, the pianist will need to hear his/her own playing so a speaker or monitor will be necessary.

3. Touch does matter as there are many classically trained pianist who will use it. They know that whatever we get is the best decision that we can do collectively. Because some of our pianist plays daily on a grand piano at home, we though action is very important.

Does sound like Avant Grand will provide the most acoustic grand like action. And then if some pianist is ambitious and want to try Pianoteq or the likes....we can.

I do wonder how the Kawai CA97 action compares to the Roland V or AvantGrand. And how each of the three's sound come across in a PA system.

Thanks,
Faulhorn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bach chorales for piano
by marklings - 01/19/21 04:32 AM
Introductions to the great composers
by Animisha - 01/19/21 02:43 AM
NAMM 2021 Keyboards & Digital Pianos
by Osho - 01/18/21 08:57 PM
Advice on Grey Market Yamahas - Melbourne, Vic
by Tim_Au - 01/18/21 08:08 PM
Faulty Anytime in Kawai GE-30 AT
by Lempriere - 01/18/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,374
Posts3,048,787
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission