Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (David B, Coda9, CyberGene, Chernobieff Piano, camperbc, amyram, Chrispy, anotherscott, 18 invisible), 887 guests, and 467 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love #2473958 10/25/15 04:50 PM
Piano World Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
This is the story of how I came to gift my sister a baby grand piano.

First a little background story...

People often ask me how I got interested in playing the piano.

That's an easy one.

I grew up watching and listening to my dad and my sister play the piano. I wanted to be able to do that too.

You Did What to the Family Piano?
At about eleven years old (circa 1962) I took our old upright piano apart to see what made it tick. My father was less than pleased, he essentially said "fix it". It took me a long time to get it back to ticking again, my introduction to becoming a piano tech? (but I digress) :-)

My sister is twelve years older, by the time I was about eleven or twelve she had moved out on her own. Life got in the way, her piano playing took a back seat to raising a family.

For a short time she had an old upright piano (I think I helped her get it), but that got left behind in a move way back when. So for many years she had no piano at all.

Fast forward to 2010
when my sister turned 70 (that can't be, that would make me, oh never mind). I decided to surprise her with a digital piano, one with 88 notes and a weighted action.

At the time I was living in a modular home in Largo Florida (I had moved there to be near Kathy while we figured out our next steps). My sister has a condo in Pompano Beach and a place in Swampscott, MA. I invited her over to my place to celebrate her birthday. Kathy and I had decorated and we'd wrapped some small gifts for her.

In a corner of my living room something was covered with a blanket, my sister is not the curious snooping type, so she paid no attention to it.
We had a nice meal (thanks to Kathy) and some cake for desert. My sister then opened her presents and thanked us for giving her such a wonderful 70 birthday. My brother-in-law thanked us too.

And then I said to my sister "I have one more gift for you, it's over here".
We led her to the corner with the blanket and had her lift it off, revealing her brand new 88 note digital piano. You'd have thought I'd given her the moon!

She cried, she hugged us, she cried some more, she hugged some more.
Now she could play again, to her hearts content (side note, she plays very well, mostly classical) and play she did , every day, even composing some original music of her own.

Fast Forward Again, this time to 2015.

By now Kathy and I have purchased a house together and moved to Maine (in February, from Florida, but that's another story). I've started to establish my piano tuning and repair business in the area.

As it happens, Kathy and I both enjoy poking around yard sales / garage sales / barn sales.
We were browsing at one in Freedom, NH when a woman named Bonnie asked if the car with the Piano Tuning sign was ours. One thing led to another and we ended up following her to her house where she had two baby grand pianos. The pianos were left by the previous owner, who at one time had as many as six in the house.

It turns out she doesn't play, neither does her husband Paul. But they'd like to get one of the pianos tuned so their grandchildren can play it, and so they can use it when they host a party (Kathy and I ended up performing at their Valentine's Day party, but again that's another story).

We Have an Extra Baby Grand Piano
They asked me to look at both pianos, but they were leaning toward the Chickering because it has the prettier cabinet. After inspecting them both I told them they were fairly close mechanically. Someone had replaced the pins, strings, and hammers on both pianos not long ago. Neither had any real action work though. They chose the Chickering.

I asked it they would like me to help them sell the other one (a Lauter), provided it could be tuned.
As a test I tried tuning random notes, they held fine. I mentioned that I sometimes run into people who would like a piano but can't afford one. They said I could have the piano and find it a good home.
I mentioned I'd love to give my sister a real piano.

And So I Took the Piano Home
I arranged to have my friend Larry Buck (E.J. Buck & Sons Pianos, Lowell, MA) bring his trailer up and help me move the piano from Freedom, NH to my garage in Parsonsfield, Maine.
The piano didn't look like much, years of grime and verdigris had turned it a dull black. (Here is the piano when I first met it) [Linked Image]

Kathy looked at it and said "I think I can do something about this. I'm betting there is a pretty piano under all that". She started working on it, hand rubbing in the restorer, carefully removing the years of grime one small layer at a time. Some forty plus hours of hard work on Kathy's part, the last of which she worked on moments before leaving for the hospital to have the first of two complete knee replacements resulted in the piano you will see at the end of the collection of pictures below.

It's Done and Delivered
Once Kathy had finished all her hard work (and I'd tweaked the action a bit and given it a tuning) it was time to deliver the piano to my sister's house in Swampscott, MA.

My sister rearranged her house just so she could create the proper music room for her new baby grand piano.

Once again I called upon our friend Larry Buck, and this time we loaded the piano up and brought it to its final home in Swampscott.

The Piano is Home Now
The piano is where it belongs now, my sister is thrilled and plays it every day.
I can't thank Bonnie & Paul enough for their kind gift to me that gave Kathy and I the opportunity to bring a ray of sunshine and happiness to my sister and her family.

The following is a pictorial history of the journey (click the image if you'd like to see the full size version)

The Piano When I First Met It
(the Chickering is in the background)
[Linked Image]

Kathy Starts Working Her Magic
[Linked Image]

Masking Off
[Linked Image]

Kathy Carefully Scrubbing Away the Verdigris
She was right, there is a beautiful instrument in there!
[Linked Image]

You Can Really See The Difference Now!
[Linked Image]

Working on the Music Desk
[Linked Image]

And the Pedal Trap Work
(which means cleaning the brass too)
[Linked Image]

Shiny!
[Linked Image]

Coming Along Now
[Linked Image]

Getting a Leg Up
[Linked Image]

I'm Hand Making the Bracing Dowels for the Pedal Trap Work
[Linked Image]

Kathy Putting the Finishing Touches (literally, it's the poly coat going on last)
Just Before Leaving for the Hospital for a Full Knee Replacement
[Linked Image]

Our Neighbor (and bagpiper) Mike Greenham Stopped By to Say Hi at Just the Right Time
(we put him to work helping us load the piano)
[Linked Image]

Larry Buck and I Bring the Piano Into My Sister's Newly Created Music Room
[Linked Image]

Setting the Piano Up
[Linked Image]

The Finished Piano in its New Home
(note: my sister made the wall quilt and painted all the paintings in the room)
[Linked Image]

So now you know the story of how I came to give my sister a baby grand piano of her own.

I told her she has to live and play at least as long as *The Lady in Number 6 who played her piano every day
until she joined the big piano party in the sky, at age 110.

The End (for now)

*( the Lady in Number 6 is from a documentary I was involved in promoting about the then oldest living holocaust survivor and probably oldest living piano player at the time. more here on facebook https://www.facebook.com/theladyinnumbersix ).

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
ProRecord.info
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190 w/ ProRecord, Yamaha P-80, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Please invite every piano enthusiast you know to join our piano forums!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2474067 10/26/15 05:14 AM
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What a wonderful story.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2474181 10/26/15 12:49 PM
blackjack1777 Offline
Great story, it's amazing to hear how people come to eventually own the pianos that are in their lives smile

Half way through Alfred's Adult All in One - Level 2

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2475889 10/31/15 12:37 PM
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Great stuff, Frank! Bravo.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2481799 11/17/15 09:29 PM
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was wondering what "restorer" product Kathy used. It looks like it really worked great.

Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2481802 11/17/15 09:45 PM
Rifia Offline
Amazing story! Such a pretty piano.

2015 Kawai GX-6 BLAK
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Rifia] #2481807 11/17/15 10:07 PM
M
Marvelle Offline
M
What a marvelous story. I hope your sister can match The Lady in Number Six in playing to such a rich age. That's a beautiful documentary - and that's a beautiful piano you folks restored.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

[Linked Image]
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2481871 11/18/15 03:01 AM
L
LittleTyke Offline
L
This is a lovely story about the piano for your sister. I hope both you and she have many years yet!

Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2481878 11/18/15 03:29 AM
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
What a great story (and other stories to come!) and what a pretty piano!
Brava Kathy for that elbow grease!

I wish my little brother would get me a baby grand smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2481888 11/18/15 04:03 AM
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, incredible!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2481921 11/18/15 06:00 AM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Nice job, Frank, Kathy, and Larry!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2481922 11/18/15 06:03 AM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2481930 11/18/15 06:27 AM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2483650 11/23/15 01:42 PM
A
Alagondar Offline
A
Great job of you and your wife.

Also I would like to thank you deeply for mentioning lady in number 6, Alice. I was deeply moved by what I saw on youtube. Her love of music is all compassing, so deep that this love becomes spiritual.

It also reminded me of my late grandmother who was a pupil of a pupil of Chopin. Music is my life and soul. This lady is a new form of inspiration.

I am eternally grateful for your sharing this documentary.

Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2487046 12/03/15 04:34 AM
Andrys Offline
Thanks for this wonderful story! Amazing, beautiful work by Kathy too. Hope her knees are feeling a lot better now.

I understand your sister's delight, since aftet 10 years of only a digital and otherwise a spinet and upright, I gifted myself a baby grand at age 76, and it is even more appreciated when you get older, I think. But it seems your sister and I both enjoyed the digitals too, good placeholders...

In your case, I also admire the family atmosphere that led to such thoughtfulness and care.

Re: Evolution of a Piano Gift - to My Sister With Love [Re: Piano World] #2487158 12/03/15 11:33 AM
B
BethRH Offline
B
Thank you so much for this story ...music seems always not only to inspire us but also brings the added gift of love. Beth

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1ms audio, can you tell the difference?
by Abdol - 12/07/19 10:18 PM
Looking for Chappell 1886 upright information
by steven_usa - 12/07/19 10:16 PM
Recommend me a hygrometer and humidifier
by WeakLeftHand - 12/07/19 09:46 PM
Near Field Monitors With 8 Inch Drivers ?
by AndyOnThePiano - 12/07/19 09:22 PM
Cool discovery
by Jitin - 12/07/19 09:08 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,555
Posts2,899,526
Members95,178
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission