2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 81 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 80 81
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
torquenale, the sight singing at grade five is just intervals, so it is not too difficult. I am sure you will do well.

Grade 5 is really a great base I think, and well worth the effort. I found the pieces easy, but the other aspects of the test were all new to me. It took a lot of work to bring the technical, sight reading, and aural up to level. My teacher felt that the sight reading is really too difficult for the level, but it is what it is. The key to passing is correct rhythm and no hesitations. Correct notes are less important.

I am not sure what to do regarding my exam process. I was close to ready for ABRSM 6, and then life got in the way. We were very busy in September and October, and then we moved to a new townhouse. After that I received a call from my brother saying my mother had been hospitalized and was in critical condition. So I flew to the US to be with her. She recovered well, and is home now, but I will be staying in the US for a couple of weeks until she gets her strength back.

When I return to Switzerland, I probably will just start working on grade 7. It makes no sense to keep working on the the same things for another six months. My teacher felt I was in good shape for the exam in September, so I feel like I gained what I needed at this level. I want to keep advancing.

Fortunately I do have a piano here, a Kawai, a CA65 digital. I brought some music so I can keep on playing!

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
When I return to Switzerland, I probably will just start working on grade 7. It makes no sense to keep working on the the same things for another six months. My teacher felt I was in good shape for the exam in September, so I feel like I gained what I needed at this level. I want to keep advancing.

I agree with you on advancing instead of fixating on passing a certain level. The exams are really there to keep us honest, a sort of external commitment device. Those of us having sat for the exams know the difference between preparing to score well and just following the syllabus generally without the intention of taking the exam. At some point, you'll have to face the grade 8 exam. No need to spend additional months for a grade 6 cert if you actually covered it with the effort in crushing the exam. As long as all your written exams are done, you're in good shape.

P
P
Hi SwissMS,

I would say the same thing to move on to grade 7 after you return. I am just curious do you get a refund or voucher maybe for the grade 6 exam that you already registered?

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
torquenale, the sight singing at grade five is just intervals, so it is not too difficult. I am sure you will do well.

Thanks for your kind words, but you are overestimating my capacity here smile
I'm not able to sing intervals and when I know that somebody is hearing me is even worse. Sort of stage fright, but much much worse!

I'll take my time, first theory and then I'll start with singing. I don't have a deadline.

And, best wishes for your mother's health!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
SwissMs, best wishes to your mother for a full and speedy recovery.
I think you are completely right in your plan to move on to Grade 7. You've done the work, you were ready for the exam. It's a bit annoying not to get the external validation I'm sure, but there is nothing to be gained by waiting for the next sitting.

[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
SwissMS
Sending prayers for your mother and for you. I hope you have a piano for relaxation while you're here in the U.S. I agree that the exams are a roadmap for acquiring skills and attending to development in a way that builds. Moving on to LEvel 7 certainly makes sense, you were READY for Level 6 so in the adult learner model, it's the same as a pass.

Torquenale, there are some online sites that help you with ear training and some books/tapes that train your ear. They've helped me a great deal and I probably need to get back to them. I've been enjoying (some days struggling) to move four note chords up to required tempo. Yesterday felt like a breakthrough and they are feeling more comfortable.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Torquenale, there are some online sites that help you with ear training and some books/tapes that train your ear. They've helped me a great deal and I probably need to get back to them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have an android app for that, I just need to start using it smile
I think I'll start working on aural training with my teacher after the theory exam...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
P
P
My exam will be in another nine hours. Going to sleep and hope for the best.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Good luck pianofan1017!!

P
P
Just got out of the exam. I saw a boy came out crying. I was well prepared but I was so nervous. I messed up the scales and pieces. I hope I can still pass. Now, I am more think like I am going to fail. frown

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
P
P
The moment I realized when he asked me to play B flat major scale and I played B flat minor instead. Then, nerves got in the way and disaster and mistakes happened one after another. Sigh........ and now the long wait for the results. Oh well, it is what it is. I am still going to enjoy Christmas and the rest of today.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianofan1017
The moment I realized when he asked me to play B flat major scale and I played B flat minor instead. Then, nerves got in the way and disaster and mistakes happened one after another. Sigh........ and now the long wait for the results. Oh well, it is what it is. I am still going to enjoy Christmas and the rest of today.

Often I think we remember the worst part of the exam, and not the good parts. Nerves always take their toll. I think the examiners can still tell if you are prepared or not and will pass you. My fingers are crossed that you did better than you think! Congratulations for sitting the exam. That, in and of itself is a huge accomplishment!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just got out of the exam. I saw a boy came out crying. I was well prepared but I was so nervous. I messed up the scales and pieces. I hope I can still pass. Now, I am more think like I am going to fail. frown

You have done your absolute best in an exam environment and you should be very proud! It is stressful even after the exam as I imagine your mind must be going through the entire exam experience and counting all the mistakes and slips you made.

Well, there is nothing more you can do. So treat and spoil yourself and celebrate for completing the exam. Get your mind off the exam for now. The best way is start focusing on Grade 6 preparation. When the result is out, celebrate again!

Well done and all the best!

Be yourself

P
P
I just got my grade 5 score back. I barely passed with a 107. I am ok with it worth celebrating. I thought I was going to fail. This is my very first ABRSM practical exam. Now, I know what I should work on more for the next grade. It turns out that I am actually very good at aural section. Before the exam, I was worried about identifying time signatures because I rarely got it right during practice. But I actually got that right in the exam. However, I was wrong with the period of the piece which I have never got it wrong during practice. Weird! Also, before the exam, I have totally given up on my sight reading. I am really bad at it. I thought if I do well in other section even if I fail this section I should be fine. But surprisingly I have passed this section. So I am actually very happy with it. Well, I had prepared the scale and pieces very well. But messed those up due to nerves. So, I did not pass the scale section. Also, one of the piece I did not pass because the examiner thought I played the piece too slow and also I messed up the ending. In summary, for the sections I failed, I only failed those by one point. frown But, overall score passed is what matters. Now, take a short Christmas break and on with preparation for grade 6.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
I just got my grade 5 score back. I barely passed with a 107.\

Congrats. You folks who can put yourself in front of judges and prevail impress me.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats! Good news just in time to celebrate Christmas and New Year!

Be yourself

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Well done Pianofan - onwards and upwards!

[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations PianoFan. The first exam (I think especially as an adult) is pretty intimidating. AND it's the work for the exam that enhances our skills and the exam is just a milestone marker. Good for you!

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations Pianofan, well done! Do you mind me asking what pieces you played? I am still looking for a piece for my List D (Australia Music Education Board - AMEB - List D is "contemporary compositions") and struggling to find anything from the syllabus that grabs me.

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
P
P
Hi Cathryn999:

What level of exam you are taking? I did grade 5. My piece were from the required syllabus. I just picked A, B, C from the six listed piece in each category. In my A list, I did Beethoven minute, in my B list, I did To a wild rose by American composer Edward MacDowell; for C list, I did Samba-lele by Brazilian or maybe Cuban composer Hector Villa-Lobos. We don't have D category in ABRSM exam. But i generally like Hector Villa-Lobos pieces. He is the 20th century composer. So, maybe you can watch some of his pieces on YouTube. It is usually dance like and happy festive tune. Hope it helps.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
Page 6 of 81 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 80 81

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission