2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
67 members (anotherscott, 1957, bobrunyan, Burkey, 36251, Catlady, ChrisGoesPiano, A. Lucato, clothearednincompo, 11 invisible), 485 guests, and 458 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
buying a computer to put near digital piano
#2484681 11/26/15 07:07 AM
K
OP Offline
K
I am a beginner, having taken music lesson for a year 55 years ago, and not played much since then. I can sort of read music. I just bought a digital piano, Casio CGP700 that I really like. Eventually I will take lessons but I have a pretty demanding work schedule and can't make time to commit to lessons yet. I will. But for now I see so much interesting stuff online on youtube that I want to take that approach for now.

I have the piano set up in my living room along a wall. I have it placed forward a few inches so that the clip on music stand can tilt back a bit to hold sheet music. I want to buy an additional tablet or touch screen notebook or even set up an external monitor, like a 16x9 ratio 20" to watch tutorials.

I have an old slow 7" tablet and that seems too small.
I could go with a bigger 10" tablet, like an ipad or android version.
I could go with a windows surface laptop that allows a touch screen.
Or I could get a 15" win10 notebook, probably with a touch screen, and have it drive an external monitor mounted over the keyboard. Wife says she's okay with a monitor mounted to the wall. The keyboard is on an adjacent wall to our living room TV.

Seems the question is whether to put the tablet or laptop above the music stand, which means it is sitting a little high to clear sheet music that is on the piano's built in stand, or lower to the side of the keyboard? And whether to build a shelf on to the wall or whether a dedicated swing out stand or something. I could get something with a swing out arm positioned at the sheet music height so it simply covers the sheet music when in positioned over the piano.

Anybody here have a setup they like for watching tutorials on youtube?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: buying a computer to put near digital piano
krauster #2484684 11/26/15 07:16 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm thinking about getting something like this http://www.amazon.com/Mount--MI-705...sr=8-12&keywords=monitor+floor+stand and clamping it to the keyboard stand. Then you can grab a decent monitor (Or even 2) and position them however you want right in front of you, hook a wireless kb+mouse up and bob's your uncle.

I think you could do a setup like that with 2 monitors, stand and computer for cheaper than an ipad pro but with 4x times the screen real estate.

Haven't done it yet though - just my thinking. =)

krauster #2484719 11/26/15 09:06 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I guess that the placement of your screen(s) would depend on their intended use. If you're ONLY going to be watching Youtube videos, having it off to the side will be OK. But, if you want to actually work with an online or software-based training program, I think that you'll want the screen directly in front of you. ...And with that in mind, I find that an iPad or other tablet works great.

My set-up has BOTH a laptop computer (a bit off to the side) AND an iPad Pro (on the keyboards music stand). I use the laptop for running software pianos (VST's) and watching Youtube vids. The iPad is used to display my scores (ForScore) and occasional use of piano/music apps. (BTW - The laptop simply sits on a plain old music stand that is set to horizontal, and placed just behind my digital piano, just to the right of the piano's music stand).

If you're going to play along with anything on a screen, I STRONGLY suggest that it a) be centered in front of you) and b) NOT be mounted to high (since your eyes will be travelling a long distance between the screen and keyboard. Again, for that purpose, I suggest a tablet resting in the keyboard's music stand, just as songbook would be placed.

I hope this helps.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
AndrewJCW #2484744 11/26/15 10:22 AM
K
OP Offline
K
I bought the furniture style keyboard so it has vertical walls. No horizonatal surface to use. I could bolt on a bracket of some sort to have a horizontal surface for attaching the stand.

https://goo.gl/photos/s277xW9HiADYg51k7

This takes card of mounting a large external screen. But I still need to place the laptop/tablet.

newbert #2484759 11/26/15 11:16 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Yes, newbert, your suggestion to have the screen as close to the keyboard as possible makes a lot of sense to me. So this is the dilemma. If I swing a non touch sensite external monitor in place of the music stand then I don't have a place for the computer/laptop's keyboard to be right in front of me a few inches over the keyboard too. or do it?

Maybe instead a large tablet... 10". There's a Dell out there for pretty cheap running android. I don't see doing a lot of computer/midi stuff in the near future so android probably would be okay for just this purpose of running video tutorials.

https://goo.gl/photos/Z1qDLjCk8a9SJVBj6

krauster #2484836 11/26/15 04:38 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You can get the same things that hold a laptop as well like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W58D4KI/ref=s9_al_bw_g229_i2
might be a good option?

I really like the idea of having a proper computer hooked up not only because you get tons more screen size but because it would be perfect for recording or using VST's and midi software.

AndrewJCW #2484920 11/27/15 01:25 AM
K
OP Offline
K
I completely agree that a proper computer hooked up to a bigger monitor is going to be way better for midi stuff and recording tracks. I played around with Cubase and midi at a time when the proper computer was an Atari 2600, and had a lot of fun and it was very satisfying.

This time I want to learn to play better and I simply want to watch piano tutorials and practice some lessons. The midi stuff will come later.

krauster #2484928 11/27/15 02:08 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
With my mind roaming freely:

. . . This is a good application for a "heads-up" (head-mounted, or eyeglass-mounted) display.

Think of how nice it would be to look down at your hands, and see the video at the same time! It wouldn't take up wall space, or require any support.

I suspect those displays are both clunky and expensive, now. "Google Glass" got some publicity, but it wasn't a general-purpose display -- and it was $1500.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
krauster #2484930 11/27/15 02:29 AM

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Wow, somebody mentioned the iPad Pro and didn't get bashed to death by our new friend grin

When I play the Celviano, which has a low wooden cabinet, I often put my laptop on top of it to record or watch Youtube videos. But I can't do that on the real piano and now that I have the iPad Pro I don't think I will do that with the digital either, it's a bit awkward to be honest. A tablet that sits on your music stand is the best option, only problem is you might end up wasting time on the Internet instead of practicing! You can read music, watch videos, listen to recordings, read piano magazines (Pianist tablet edition is really great!)... only thing I don't do with the iPad is recording, although there are probably ways and apps available for that too.

krauster #2484951 11/27/15 04:20 AM
M
M
Sinophilia,
I use 'Voice Record Pro' from Dayana Networks on the iPad and iPhone.
You can also use apple's Garageband, or Yamaha's 'Audio Recorder'.
You simply plug the line out of your digital piano into a cheap (£2 on amazon) 3.5mm microphone splitter and away you go.

Quality is not quite as good as the digital pianos direct to wave/mp3 recording, but for simplicity it's really useful.

I like that in Voice Record Pro you can upload to Soundcloud or Dropbox with one click.

krauster #2485634 11/29/15 09:47 AM

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Medden, I will look into it.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ivory ACD install without discs
by mwf - 11/28/20 06:52 AM
Mixing VST audio with external hardware audio
by Andrew_G - 11/28/20 02:42 AM
File, sand and/or needle inside my Baldwin?
by DanD - 11/28/20 01:18 AM
Hybrid piano too loud for my neighbor :(
by kiwibd - 11/27/20 07:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,090
Posts3,028,034
Members99,397
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission