2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
52 members (Charles Cohen, AndyOnThePiano, dbudde, dima5222, David B, dhull100, clothearednincompo, CyberGene, 13 invisible), 504 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Re: Recital 40 --- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital #2484021 11/24/15 12:19 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Another batch of comments:

12. Riddler (Ed) - Come Sunday
Amazing that you were there at the start of this, as it were!

13. Monica K. - Home
This is lovely, I keep meaning to check out more of this composer’s work. There’s a gorgeous calm throughout. Is the “Blue Moon” part in the original or did you add it as a medley?

14. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Bluette
Lovely, melancholy feel to the opening. The whole piece is very cool

15. BrianDX - Song Of Kilimanjaro
Lovely and atmospheric. We’d miss you from these recitals, hope you find your way back to recording and sharing.

16. Khopin - Chopin - Andante Spianato
Beautiful! I hear what you are saying about managing the LH, but then we can always find *something* to improve, can’t we! This was an absolute joy to listen to.

17. Zoot64 - Allegro First movement from Sonatina in C, Op. 36 No.1
Welcome to the recitals! I thought this had a lovely energy and pace, very nicely done.

18. dynamobt/Marilyn - Arabesque
Delighted your shoulder seems to be recovering so well. This was super!

19. peterws (peter) - Platform Level - Wat Out!
“Source of music: Head.” Love your programme notes!!
This was really lovely, more please!

21. JustinDAggie - Philosophy
Very interesting, a great contrast to the rest of the recital.

22. lyricmudra - Minuet in G Minor from the Keyboard Suite No. 1 in B-Flat Major, HWV 434 I always look forward to your submissions, and this is no exception - absolutely beautiful! You’re a standout example of what can be done without a teacher.

23. 8 Octaves - Sonata in G Major, 2nd Mvmt: Romance
I hadn’t heard that statement that the slow movements are hardest to play well, but thinking about it I can see the logic. It may be easier to get the notes, but you have to work much harder to maintain interest and energy, You do a lovely, delicate job with this, esp considering you do it without pedal

24. Greener/Jeff - Ab Waltz
This is lovely, and unlike many pieces described as a waltz, I could imagine dancing to this (perhaps in a black and white movie!)

25. sinophilia - Invention no. 1 in C major
I’ve dabbled with this this year but not learned it properly so it’s real pleasure to listen to yours. You do a super job with this, the character is just right and while it’s not overly fast you keep a great pace and feeling of forward momentum all the way through. Great job!

26. Copper - Yesterday
I just love this song - one of the great pop classics. Your version is lovely - pensive, not overcomplicated.

27. Medden (Simon) - I Giorni
Nice to hear this at regular volume :-)
I learned this fairly soon after coming back to piano as an adult. It’s gorgeous, and your do a lovely job of it.

28. Sand Tiger - Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Another super classic tune - I’ve been singing this around the house a lot lately, nice to hear it here!

29. Pollux - Piggies
Love the White Album! Funny though, if you hadn’t said, I’d have known it was really familiar but would have completely failed to identify where it was from.

30. MeganR - Angelfish
Welcome to the recitals Megan & thanks for participating. I really enjoyed listening to your piece - very nice flow & good atmosphere

31. Alexander Borro - Canzone Popolare (Ludovico Einaudi)
Lovely! You have a real talent for making beautiful sounding music. You make good choices, and you are not afraid to adapt a piece to suit your skills and experience, to get a great sounding result.

32. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Nocturne in Eb Major Op. 9 No. 2
This is just gorgeous! I’d love to play this, but wouldn’t be able to do it justice yet.

[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
AB Forum Recital #2484059 11/24/15 02:43 PM
P
P
I'm not very good at making comments; yet, every participant deserve my two thumbs up! Having received some kind comments for my participation, I had to salute a few entries that caught my attention:

10 Peyton- Gnossienne #3
No need to apologize for the blowing leaves, it was appropriate. Very well done!

12 Riddler - Come Sunday
Love it... Your jazz lessons really paid.

20 Barbaram - Dream a little dream
Very pleasant. A bit short though; I would have taken more of it.

25 Sinophilia - Invention no. 1 in C major
I really like it. Wish I could play like that.

26 Copper - Yesterday
Somehow disoriented by the rythm you gave it. But I like it.

28 Sand Tiger - Somewhere over the rainbow
Take a bow, you deserve it. Keep on the good work.

30 MeganR - Angelfish
Beginner, sure, but talented. You're welcomed to these recitals.

33 BillM - Blackbird
At first, I was skeptical. To me, Blackbird means "guitar". How would you turn it into "piano"? But then your vocal kicked in and everything was fine. You really made it... BTW, your piece and mine were neighbours on the white album: tracks 11 and 12.

35 Jotur Cathy Turner - The Entertainer
Please, don't try to play it faster. Your tempo is adequate; and our pleasure last longer this way.

43 Casinitaly - Slippin' around and sneakin' around
Wonderfull piano sound! Love the left hand swing.

45 Smurfette - Prelude in C
6 + 3 weeks? Come on, you must be kidding! You play it evenly from beginning to end.

52 TX Bluebonnet - Malaguena
I always tought it was composed for guitar. I just found out that the composer (Lecuona) recorded it as a piano solo. One of my all-time favorites, you did it justice.

Honorary member of the order of the flats
"Before Eating A Doughnut Get Coffee First"
�����������
CVP-407
UnderConstruction #2484067 11/24/15 03:10 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by UnderConstruction

Loved your playing Jade! Very well executed and polished performance. Hard to fault, even with the "normalisation" of your camera, I still got the dynamics through the tonal change. This is being extremely picky, the one thing I picked up was the very slight accents/pauses at the wrong place at around 3:25 on those repeated notes. I think some slow staccato practice might help there. But its being really super fussy, and I think it was outstanding!

Thank for for your constructive criticism. You are spot on, after a while, especially if I have played a lot of other pieces on the same day, I tend to get tired and my hand always stumbles in that section. This particular take had me stumbling a little bit too as the notes became uneven during the fastest point. I need to do more dotted rhythm as well as staccato practice like you suggested.

To everyone else, thank you so much for all your lovely words of praise. This is my first time joining the ABF recital and I'm shocked at the amount of communication, encouragement, critique, and praise given to all the members.

I've also enjoyed everyone's playing greatly and I love the range of different music and abilities here participating!

I promise I will finish giving comments on the latter half of the recital soon. I've been so busy I haven't gotten around to it but after a long day of work, I look forward very much to listen to everyone's playing.

Yamaha C3, Yamaha Avant Grand N1 (sold), Steingraeber 170 (family's)
ElaineAllegro #2484072 11/24/15 03:23 PM
N
N
Originally Posted by ElaineAllegro
More thank you notes:

PianogrlNW, piano_primo-1, Peyton, ajames, SwisMS, barbaram, UnderConstruction, MarieJ, Sam_S, Jotur/Cathy, TX_Bluebonnet, never2old. I really appreciate your virtual applause and encouraging comments. It’s gratifying to hear some of you are inspired to explore the Mazurkas.

Barbaram: Yes, I can’t believe how much progress a good teacher brings. Stay with it and you will get closer to your goal (but we never reach it because the goal keeps expanding…)

never2old: Re this Mazurka (Op 24, No 2) – easy to learn the notes, really challenging to get the precise touch for each type of sound. Since you’ve worked on 67-2, I suggest trying 68-3 next if you can easily reach an octave in the LH. Play it slower than you think it should go, and leave out the grace-notes-in-thirds until everything else is ready. It always sounds very impressive because of the dynamic contrasts. (Sorry if too much detail; I am overflowing with Mazurka ideas.)

Thanks for your detailed answer and suggestion, Elaine. Much appreciated. I will give 68-3 a try as soon as I've cleared the backlog a bit!

Semi-retired photographer from Australia enjoying my spare time learning to play piano. Started in 2011...progressing slowly. Would like to correspond and get critiques from others who play. To know more of my journey or listen to me play visit my blog at www.harrisonsphotography.com.au/wp
John H
AB Forum Recital #2484143 11/24/15 06:08 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
29. Pollux- I really enjoyed that! A million years since I have listened to the White Album so an additional pleasure to hear that old song.

34. Gandolf- absolutely beautiful playing! You didn't even need to mention 'water" in your description… It feels exactly like you described. Bravo.

AB Forum Recital #2484226 11/24/15 11:58 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I love excellence, and, there is a lot of it on display here. I like being part of a group of such achievers. I managed some more time to listen this evening, and what a pleasure it was.

23. 8 Octaves - Sonata in G Major, 2nd Mvmt: Romance It seems the spaces between the notes was the important thing here, and you did well. I also liked your controlled and skillful changes in dynamics. You seemed to have good control here. Nice performance.

25. sinophilia - Invention no. 1 in C major Nicely played, and, I enjoyed watching your video.

27. Medden (Simon) - I Giorni Another nice Einaudi piece/performance. Part way into the piece I looked at your typed submission and was very surprised to see that you have just 2 years of experience. You have accomplished quite a lot in that short time, your performance was very comfortable to listen to. Well done.

29. Pollux - Piggies This was a new one for me. As a youngster, I had boycotted the Beatles as they were taking all the airtime from the Beach Boys and my Motowm favorites. I held a grudge against the Beatles for quite a long time. This tune and your performance sound nice. You have me curious enough that I am going to find the original and listen to it. You played well.

30. MeganR - Angelfish Well done, and congratulations on your first recital submission. You are doing fine for a “capital B” beginner. Thanks for playing, I enjoyed hearing you.

32. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Nocturne in Eb Major Op. 9 No. 2 I am not yet a Chopin fan, but I enjoyed your performance very much. You seem to be well in control of this piece. As a early beginner wrestling with dynamics, I particularly enjoyed seeing and hearing your mastery of the dynamic changes within the piece. You played very well, and listening was a pleasure.

33. BillM - Blackbird I'm really impressed with anyone who can sing, and anyone who can play piano well. You did both. You looked so relaxed, I think you could have fallen asleep. You make it look easy.

35. jotur-Cathy Turner - The Entertainer That was awesome! I feel like I should have been charged an admission fee. It was fun, joyful, and a nice treat. Very well done.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
AB Forum Recital #2484248 11/25/15 01:45 AM
E
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
E
More enjoyable music, each worthy of a re-listening a few times.

38. Piano_Primo_1 - Menuet 116 and Aria 115
An interesting mix of settings for these pieces! I thought the Menuet really came through more clearly in the harpsichord setting – it sounds as if you were enjoying it more, as well. I wasn’t sure what the Aria had to do with a Tobacco Smoker, but just found the six stanza poem that goes with it. The string section gave the effect of the chorus singing along.

42. never2old John Harrison - Waltz in a minor (posth)
I checked out your website – very worthwhile. While meandering there, I listened to your Chopin Prelude in A major – truly exquisite! In your playing of the waltz for the recital, your love of the music comes across so clearly. So, a challenge: I think you can move it up a notch to an even more exquisite level, like the prelude. I know you are working with a teacher, so you might want to check these ideas with him/her. I sense you sometimes lift the pedal too soon on the third beat, so there is a disconnect of the legato moving into the next measure. (Which is correct for many Mazurkas, but less so for Waltzes.) Another idea: try not to lift and break the legato within the 6-7 note phrases, such as measures 3, 7-8, etc. And: breathe just a little more, especially at the beginning of each section. Nice touch/tone, gorgeous piano, and extra bonus points for removing the music desk so the sound washes over us. Look forward to hearing more!

43. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Slippin' Around and Sneakin' Round
There was something about these two pieces that reminded me of Aaron Copland’s Cat and Mouse – might be a nice combination? Very enjoyable, clearly conveying the sense of the titles.

44. SwissMS/Doris - Sonata in G Major Opus 79, 2nd Movement
Someone else used the word elegant – so true of your performance! Also an impressive mastery of the trills and a few tricky rhythms. I really enjoyed listening to you play.

45. Smurfette - Prelude in C
Just 9 weeks, seriously?! Beautiful phrasing, dynamics, tempo… Please keep us posted on your progress in future recitals.

AB Forum Recital #2484249 11/25/15 01:45 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Still pressed for time. (Hey - I’m supposed to be retired!) So I’m sorry that my listening has been broken into shorter sessions, which means that my comments have been a while in coming.

10. Peyton - Gnossienne #3 Peyton, I loved this. It’s a Satie piece that I know, and your interpretation was just right - beautiful!

11. Sam S - Prelude I from WTC I Wonderful! The home-bullt harpsichord version was just amazing, but my vote goes to the Beckstein. Maybe every pianist has tried this piece out at some time but not everyone manages to give it the rich tone and colour that you captured.

12. Riddler (Ed) - Come Sunday Your background information really brought this piece to life, and your great interpretation made it pure nostalgia - now, where are the bass and drums …

13. Monica K. - Home Monica you have just demonstrated once again the reason you have been my role model since I first discovered Piano World. That was absolutely beautiful.

14. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Bluette More soft background bass and drums please … and a glass of wine - a lovely listen. Great work!

15. BrianDX - Song Of Kilimanjaro So glad you didn’t miss this Recital, Brian - that was very expressive and very well handled.

16. Khopin - Chopin - Andante Spianato I can’t comment on technicalities, but I recognise something beautifully performed when I hear it - congratulations!

17. Zoot64 - Allegro First movement from Sonatina in C, Op. 36 No.1 What a terrific first Recital entry - it sounded as if you were enjoying playing it, and I certainly enjoyed listening!

18. dynamobt/Marilyn - Arabesque I’m running out of superlatives! Fabulous performance, Marilyn.

19. peterws (peter) - Platform Level - Wat Out! Plenty of people to give us a rendition of Fantasie Impromptu, but only one person to give us ‘Platform Level’. Loved it all - your composition AND the dreamy way you played it AND the sound of your new piano.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LVIII

My C3 - solace. And joy.
AB Forum Recital #2484264 11/25/15 03:44 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
21. JustinDAggie - Philosophy

Sounds pretty difficult technically. I think you play with excellent tempo and nice flow. Listening to you performance was very enjoyable.

22. lyricmudra - Minuet in G Minor from the Keyboard Suite No. 1 in B-Flat Major, HWV 434

Very beautiful music! And your performance is excellent. Very fine balance between the voices, the middle melody lines coming nicely out, and good embellishments. A real pleasure to listen to.

23. 8 Octaves - Sonata in G Major, 2nd Mvmt: Romance

I have to admit that Antonio Rosetti is an unknown composer to me. But this piece is very nice. I appreciate the clarity and nice flow of your performance. Phrasing and dynamics were good. I enjoyed listening to your performance.

24. Greener/Jeff - Ab Waltz

Like most pieces of Chopin this is a tricky one to play, this one having many rhythmic challenges. It was very nice listening to you. Particularly I liked the middle part. Thanks for sharing.

25. sinophilia - Invention no. 1 in C major

You should be proud of your performance of this Invention. I think it flowed nicely and you ornaments were well performed. Bach two- and three-part inventions have always been part of my own core repertoire, and I play some of them every week, because I think it helps maintaining my technique. So I absolutely recommend you to learn a second one. One of my favorites is the second two-part invention, but in fact a couple of the three part (also called symphonies) are actually easier, for instance the E-major and the g-minor which is a very beautiful piece.

26. Copper - Yesterday

It is always pleasant to hear songs from your young days, and this one is one of the most popular ones during the late sixties. I enjoyed listening to your performance. Thanks for sharing!

never2old #2484323 11/25/15 09:11 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by never2old
Sorry Brian...must have had a 'senior moment' and missed yours. You certainly didn't offend me and anyway I'm not easily offended!
So here it is:

15. BrianDX - Song Of Kilimanjaro Very dramatic start to this piece. You have put lots of feeling into it and have made great progress to play like this after only 16 months. From my experience it gets a bit easier after the first couple of years so keep going...the better you get the more fun it becomes.

It's good you have started participating in the recitals so early in your piano learning journey. I was never brave enough to share anything until recently after more than four years! I think it is especially beneficial to record yourself and listen back to it carefully. I record everything I learn now and it is definitely helping me. All the best!
Thanks so much! smile

As a beginner there are two forces at play here that could deter any future participations in these recitals. The lesser issue is my natural inclination to compare the quality of other submissions with a similar level of experience to my own and be discouraged, as there are many folks who quite frankly play much better than I do at the two+ year mark.

The bigger issue is my increasing inability to record an acceptable version of the current stuff I'm learning, which is bumping up against the Early Intermediate level. The Red Dot syndrome is alive and well here, but with my earlier and easier pieces I was able to work around it. Now it is much more difficult to do so. The shame of it is that I hear many submissions with very tiny mistakes (99.9% of the performance is excellent), but these folks are more than happy to share them with us to everyone's benefit, and not worry about perfection.

Totally my issue to deal with. Do I detect a 2016 New Year's resolution here? smirk

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
AB Forum Recital #2484547 11/25/15 08:10 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I had a little more time today, and listened to some more. Very nice music.

37. stumbler/Dave - Mr. John Begg's Favourite Well done. Your choices for how to play the song were very effective. I used to have a 36 rpm album of Scottish Fiddle Bands, and I miss that sound. I hope you bring more in future recitals.

41. Snapsh00t3r - Comptine d'un Autre Ete I enjoyed both the piece and your performance. You seemed to be in command from start to finish. It was easy to listen to.

44. SwissMS/Doris - Sonata in G Major Opus 79, 2nd Movement Very, very nice. And thanks for the video. I enjoyed watching you play and listening.

45. Smurfette - Prelude in C Nothing to be nervous about here, you played very well from start to finish. Well done.

46. outo - Prelude op 28-7 I'm glad you didn't miss the recital. You chose a nice piece and played it well.

51. MaryBee - Sonata No. 1 in F Minor, 1st Mvt. There's no way I could play that without injuring myself. I cannot imagine the difficulty of playing this at a higher tempo. This piece really showed off your skill. Well done.

52. TX-Bluebonnet (Linda) - Malaguena That was well done! It was nice to listen to, and your playing seemed very comfortable.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
AB Forum Recital #2484552 11/25/15 08:37 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Next 20!

11. Sam S - Prelude I from WTC I Yes, a rite of passage but nice to hear it played by someone with more experience. I'm not a harpsichord fan and sadly that didn't change after this performance but you played it pretty well. I can still get the feel of the first note in each arpeggio which is harder to bring out on the harpsichord. Much more satisfying on the piano, I would make even more of the dynamic range but I realize that's stretching things for this piece. Great performances!

12. Riddler (Ed) - Come Sunday What a great story, and a wonderful experience! I don't think I know the song, but this was a wonderful soulful performance, the big chords handled well and nice arpeggios and runs. Loved it!

13. Monica K. - Home Beautiful, whatever improvement you think you should have made doesn't matter - it sounds like it's really at home with you. There's such wonderful phrasing, adjustments in tempo, mood - totally fantastic, thanks for revisiting it!

14. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Bluette Mellow, beautiful, I loved the ornaments; you really capture the feel of this piece wonderfully. There's great dynamic range and freedom of expression but it never gets away from you. Loved it!

15. BrianDX - Song Of Kilimanjaro This is wonderful, the piece has some slight Debussy influences, you play it with wonderful freedom but great control. The large chords are well handled and the runs beautifully done. Great!

16. Khopin - Chopin - Andante Spianato Loved this, yes the left hand could be slightly quieter but you bring out the melody beautifully and let it flow over the piece. The runs are well judged. I wish it was on an acoustic, I don't think the clean sound of the digital suits this. But overall it was played so well.

17. Zoot64 - Allegro First movement from Sonatina in C, Op. 36 No.1 I wouldn't worry about the legato, sounds pretty good. What will improve the phrases is to have some dynamic range in them so they are phrased. The overall dynamics of the piece are good. You've done a great job without a teacher, make sure you work on the expression and it will be even better!

18. dynamobt/Marilyn - Arabesque Playing this while recovering from shoulder surgery is definitely impressive! I love this interpretation, you capture the spirit in the piece. The different sections are handled well, with contrasts but still as a uniform whole. Very nice.

19. peterws (peter) - Platform Level - Wat Out! Nice improvisation, strange title! You really let this flow, the runs are well done and there is a wonderful peace to the whole performance. Very nice!

20. barbaram - Dream a Little Dream A wonderful arrangement (of course, Dan Coates!) that you play beautifully, you keep the melody nicely phrased. Perhaps the accompaniment could be slightly quieter, or just bring out the bottom note in the chord, but it's a really nice performance as it is.

21. JustinDAggie - Philosophy I don't know the song, but brave tackling Ben Folds! This is a really wonderful performance anyway, you get the tension in the piece; nice dynamic range and great energy. Excellent.

22. lyricmudra - Minuet in G Minor from the Keyboard Suite No. 1 in B-Flat Major, HWV 434 This is a wonderful transcription, beautifully played. The phrasing is wonderfully done with some nice ornaments. The accompaniment, stately, quiet but always audible is very well judged. Loved this!

23. 8 Octaves - Sonata in G Major, 2nd Mvmt: Romance Very nicely played. I would have used pedal but I understand why you didn't. You played this with great tenderness, nice phrasing. I wonder if it's a teeny bit too stately though? I'm thinking of similar Mozart "slow" movements which would be a bit faster. Anyway, lovely playing!

24. Greener/Jeff - Ab Waltz I love this waltz; I think you'll agree it could be a teeny bit smoother so I'll ignore that. You got the feel of this really nicely, it had a great dynamic range and good phrasing.

25. sinophilia - Invention no. 1 in C major Great job with this invention; the interplay of the voices is very well done. It's a wonderfully controlled performance. As someone struggling to make an invention sound good you give me hope!

26. Copper - Yesterday Nice version of the classic. I thought it had a very vocal quality, nice simple arrangement allowed the tune to shine.

27. Medden (Simon) - I Giorni I enjoyed this Einaudi piece (one of those I have have heard more than once). You give a great performance, very controlled and polished but full of life. You phrase it nicely and let the interplay of the melody and accompaniment work well. Great!

28. Sand Tiger - Somewhere Over the Rainbow Nice rendition of this classic; I would try to bring a teeny bit more of a peak to it, just to improve it a bit. But it was a nice performance anyway.

29. Pollux - Piggies I would never think this would work as a piano piece - wow, that's great! Almost classical in feel. And I do know the song - actually listened to the album two weeks ago! Great!

30. MeganR - Angelfish Shame about the hiss on the recording. But a great first submission. You really sound confident in playing it, it has great movement and a lot of energy! Thanks!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
ElaineAllegro #2484581 11/25/15 10:32 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

38. Piano_Primo_1 - Menuet 116 and Aria 115
An interesting mix of settings for these pieces! I thought the Menuet really came through more clearly in the harpsichord setting – it sounds as if you were enjoying it more, as well. I wasn’t sure what the Aria had to do with a Tobacco Smoker, but just found the six stanza poem that goes with it. The string section gave the effect of the chorus singing along.

Big thanks and I did not know this was based on a poem HE WROTE.
The link is here
The Briar Files

But, although I do know it was common to add poppy in tobacco at one time way long ago, ago, ago .....
-he probably didn't do that kinda thing...
I did make a video of why I assumed it though .. it's here
( it's an art vid .but so is playing piano ---an art ....)
Pipesmoker
or
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/146970030" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/146970030">The Pipesmoker 11 25 2015</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user23104365">Tempo Primo</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
and BIG Thank you.

Andy Platt #2484607 11/25/15 11:54 PM

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
I wonder if it's a teeny bit too stately though? I'm thinking of similar Mozart "slow" movements which would be a bit faster.

Yes, I agree that I was not completely convincing with that pace, which was my teacher's initial prescribed pacing. When I played it a bit faster, my teacher said it was more natural. The reason I believe is the level of details isn't as sophisticated when I play it, so it helps to speed up a bit. When my teacher plays it, with her musicality and technique, she could slow it down even more yet providing plenty of drama. When I play it, I do need to speed up a bit since I cannot convey as much, so perhaps faster is better for me. Instead of re-recording, somehow I played it and it was at this pace, so I left it alone. I have little patience for recording too many times. I generally like to sit down and play once, in this case, a second time some days later I think because I realize I forgot a section. It's harder to remember slower pieces from memory for some reason. Very unintuitive. I would never have guessed that.

AB Forum Recital #2484613 11/26/15 12:10 AM

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1, MarieJ, TX-Bluebonnet, never2old, Monica K., ElaineAllegro, barbaram, raubucho, and Ganddalf thank you so much for your very generous comments. smile

AB Forum Recital #2484646 11/26/15 03:11 AM

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you so much to everybody who commented on my piece! I'm sorry I'm up to my neck in work and I haven't even had the chance to listen to the recital properly, just to my usual favourites so far wink

@Ganddalf G minor is my favorite key so I might give it a try! Looks daunting though.

AB Forum Recital #2484666 11/26/15 06:09 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
27. Medden (Simon) - I Giorni

I can imagine that this is enjoyable music to play. I like your sensitive playing and you succeed making the music flow nicely. Good job!

28. Sand Tiger - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Very nice to hear this melody again. It was one of my favorites when I was young. I enjoyed listening to your playing.

29. Pollux - Piggies

Very well played by ear! I also liked the delicacy of your performance. Thanks for sharing.

30. MeganR - Angelfish

You have learnt a lot in 7 months. Nice performance on your spinet. Good job!

31. Alexander Borro - Canzone Popolare (Ludovico Einaudi)

Nice piece with interesting harmonies. You play it flawlessly. It was very enjoyable to listen to your performance.

You play with good dynamics and succeed very well with the ornaments. I think it was a very good performance of this famous nocturne. I couldn’t hear any issues with the recording, and the C3 sounds great.

33. BillM - Blackbird

Fine arrangement of this song! Definitely some creative work while still not violating the original harmonization. I enjoyed both the song and piano playing.

Sam S #2484715 11/26/15 09:40 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Up at 5AM to cook turkey for Turkey day here in Georgia USA. So listened to the rest of the recital!

01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.3 - Grave I've never heard this. I suppose when you are a famous composer, people dig through your discarded pieces and publish them after you are dead! Great playing!

02. UnderConstruction - Impromptu Op 90 no 3 I've tried this, but never got it up to speed. It's just gorgeous. (Volume is a little low).

03. earlofmar - Largo in Eb Major Sounded great on your new piano! Chocolate for lunch - Chopin would have approved, I think.

04. MarieJ - Passaggio Well done! You haven't converted me to an Einaudi fan yet, but keep trying!

05. PikaPianist - Prelude in B major, Op.11 No.11 Outstanding! I'm not a big Scriabin fan, but I loved this...

06. johan d - Menuet in G minor, BWV Anh.115 Nice interpretation, different from what we usually hear of this piece. Well done!

07. CarlosCC - La nascita delle cose segrete Congrats on 20 recitals! Still sounds great!

08. AZ_Astro - Just a Day Away Never heard this before - well done! I'll have to look him up...

09. Pavel.K - Prelude in B Minor, Op. 28 No. 6 - Lento assai Wonderful playing! And it is melancholy...

10. Peyton - Gnossienne #3 Loved the video Peyton - you are so artistic (duh!). Your playing was great too!

12. Riddler (Ed) - Come Sunday Great Story Ed! Loved your rendition.

13. Monica K. - Home My wife loved this, Monica. And you had on a red dress just for the 40th!? Congrats on 40 recitals!

14. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Bluette A little Blues. Groovy, man.

15. BrianDX - Song Of Kilimanjaro Big sound! You're progressing well!

16. Khopin - Chopin - Andante Spianato Very dramatic!

17. Zoot64 - Allegro First movement from Sonatina in C, Op. 36 No.1 Welcome to the ABF recitals! Sounds great! Steady rhythm, dynamics, got all the notes - move on to something new!

18. dynamobt/Marilyn - Arabesque I love this piece - it's so Schumann - all over the place in his manic-depressive style. And I love the whirling, twirling main theme. Great playing!

19. peterws (peter) - Platform Level - Wat Out! Wonderful Peter! Just making music!

20. barbaram - Dream a Little Dream Loved it! I use the GAS pieces as a reward - after I practice the classical stuff I play through a few.

21. JustinDAggie - Philosophy Lots of energy and excitement! Outstanding! You can mute off the new string while it stretches to pitch - not hard to do. You are playing on less strings but it might be preferable to an out-of-tune note. Volume was a little low on the recording...

22. lyricmudra - Minuet in G Minor from the Keyboard Suite No. 1 in B-Flat Major, HWV 434 In my opinion (and I'm guessing yours too), the arrangement sounds better (at least on the piano) than the original. Wonderful playing!

23. 8 Octaves - Sonata in G Major, 2nd Mvmt: Romance Very sweet and tender. But a few tasteful stabs of the pedal can make it sound less dry - just my opinion.

24. Greener/Jeff - Ab Waltz Great job! My only suggestion is more pedal...

25. sinophilia - Invention no. 1 in C major These are always so hard - you feel so exposed, since the smallest mistake is glaringly obvious. You did a great job!

26. Copper - Yesterday Congrats on 40 recitals - what an accomplishment! And you play good too!

27. Medden (Simon) - I Giorni You've captured the "Einaudi Mood"!

28. Sand Tiger - Somewhere Over the Rainbow One of my all-time favorites. Great playing!

29. Pollux - Piggies I'm not a big pop music fan, so even though I am old enough, I have no memory of this song (everything old is new again sometimes!) Sounds great!

30. MeganR - Angelfish Wonderful for only 7 months experience! Welcome to the recitals.

31. Alexander Borro - Canzone Popolare (Ludovico Einaudi) A miniature gem!

32. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Nocturne in Eb Major Op. 9 No. 2 Nice control, and I can hear the dynamic changes. You look cold!

33. BillM - Blackbird It wouldn't be a complete recital without you Bill - I miss you when you skip one. Wonderful!

34. Ganddalf - Barcarolle no.1 - Op 26 This is outstanding, Gandalf! I'm so glad you stuck with it.

35. jotur-Cathy Turner - The Entertainer Wonderful Cathy - I went back and listened to your first one, and this one is much better, I think. You are playing with more confidence and a better feel for the music.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - The Young Prince and The Young Princess Congratulations on 40 recitals! That's quite a feat. Love your playing as always!

Thanks!
Sam

AB Forum Recital #2484746 11/26/15 11:31 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Combined Comments re: 8. AZ_Astro – Just a Day Away by Ben Crosland

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate them. With this recital, I have now completed 10 recitals: 7 quarterly and 3 themed. Looking back, it is satisfying to see progress!

Originally Posted by ajames:

Hey that sounds familiar... Your version sounds much nicer than mine from 1.5 years ago - Well done, a very nice job on a nice piece.

I think I first heard this piece when reading about the Cool Bean’s thread. And I started learning it right away. Then your piece popped up and I was so pleased to see that you had found the piece as compelling as I had. I listened to yours many times as I was polishing the piece! Thanks!

Originally Posted by UnderConstruction:

Some music soothes the soul, this one did it for me. Thank you!

The lovely lilting melody is delightful, I agree.

Originally Posted by Barbaram:

This is a lovely piece for a Sunday morning, very nicely played

Thank you!

Originally Posted by BillM:

What a lovely piece and a fine performance – I was left wanting more.

Agree! I have been watching the 40-pieces-a-year thread and that’s probably the route I need to take. I need to get a lot of pieces under my belt and the one-page wonders are good for reading and variations in technique. The Cool Beans book which contains Just a Day Away has three or four more delightful short pieces, two of which I have also learned.

Originally Posted by Medden:

This had a nice simplicity and innocence to it. You played it charmingly. Made me feel very cosy curled up in doors on a cold windy day.

I think simplicity and innocence describe that piece aptly. Shrewd listening!

Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir:

Wonderful, great control of dynamics.

Still a long way to go but I was trying for some dynamic variation and am amazed that you heard some!

Originally Posted by SwissMS:

This is a lovely piece, very relaxing. Your playing of it put a smile on my face.

Thank you for the generous comment.

Originally Posted by Zrtf90:

Very capable and sensitive playing. Also a lovely choice of piece.

Your playing (and Ganddalf’s and LyricMudra’s and others) has been a source of inspiration for me and I appreciate your listening and your thoughtful comments.

Originally Posted by Riddler:

Well done, with a light hearted and relaxed feeling.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ganddalf:

This is very pleasant music to listen to. Your piano playing is nicely flowing and I really enjoyed listening to this short piece.

I have been learning for four years now. When I started I had hoped I could “play nicely” in two years. It has taken longer than that! and I have a long way to go yet! I am going to give myself another four years of playing to develop some of the mastery and nuances in playing that I hear in your pieces.

Originally Posted by Monica K.:

This is such a pretty piece, and how cool is it that it’s written by a PW member! I didn’t hear any tempo variation; I thought you played it very well.

The Einaudi pieces are growing on me and I have finally started learning one (yi giorni). I’m just pleased and amazed that you listened so carefully.

Originally Posted by Piano_primo_1:

super playing dynamics and recording enjoyed the listen.
Thanks!

[quote=Andy Platt:]
A very nice miniature, wonderfully played. You keep it very well controlled, the quiet dynamics are impressive. Very nice!

Thank you for the thoughtful comments.

Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet:

Very nice! I have Cool Beans and am really looking forward to learning this piece, but it'll be a while because I want to work through the progressive pieces in the Easy Beans book first.

I loved Cool Beans and am thankful for the many hours of enjoyment that I have derived from that book. The pieces range from late beginner to intermediate, I think. I have also learned The Heist and Sleepytown Blues from Volume 2 (Jazz, Blues and Latins tunes). Delightful!

Originally Posted by never2old:

Just one word came to mind for this...sweet!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by raubucho:

This was a nice composition and an enjoyable performance. I didn't notice the tempo waivers you referred to. You are more critical of yourself than your listeners. Take heart in the fact that listening was a pleasing experience. Well done!

I think most of us listen to ourselves with hyper-sensitivity and that is probably a good thing for our development. We hear every little bobble as we play along and make mental notes to “fix this” or “fix that” next time around. And over time we do improve!

Originally Posted by Sam S:

Never heard this before - well done! I'll have to look him up...

Listening to these recitals has been a great source of new music for me. I learned Troubador (by George Winston) after hearing Anne H play it. ajames played Just a Day Away a year back in recital 35 or so, and I have started out learning a Mendelssohn pieced that I heard you play several years ago.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 11/26/15 11:43 AM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
ElaineAllegro #2484827 11/26/15 05:12 PM
N
N

42. never2old John Harrison - Waltz in a minor (posth)
I checked out your website – very worthwhile. While meandering there, I listened to your Chopin Prelude in A major – truly exquisite! In your playing of the waltz for the recital, your love of the music comes across so clearly. So, a challenge: I think you can move it up a notch to an even more exquisite level, like the prelude. I know you are working with a teacher, so you might want to check these ideas with him/her. I sense you sometimes lift the pedal too soon on the third beat, so there is a disconnect of the legato moving into the next measure. (Which is correct for many Mazurkas, but less so for Waltzes.) Another idea: try not to lift and break the legato within the 6-7 note phrases, such as measures 3, 7-8, etc. And: breathe just a little more, especially at the beginning of each section. Nice touch/tone, gorgeous piano, and extra bonus points for removing the music desk so the sound washes over us. Look forward to hearing more!

Thanks, Elaine for taking the time to listen to some of my music and giving me ideas to improve. The comments are very helpful and I think I understand now how I can make the Chopin waltz sound nicer.

Regarding the pedaling, my instinct (ears) told me to hold the pedal over to the third beat on the Chopin waltz but my teacher told me it was incorrect so I changed it for her. I've read lots on the subject and frankly I'm quite confused. Do I play what sounds right to me or try to rely on others with more experience to follow what they believe the composer intended? Especially since pianos have changed a lot and pedaling marked on the score (if marked at all) may have been added later. I'd be interested in others opinions.

Once again, many thanks, Elaine

Semi-retired photographer from Australia enjoying my spare time learning to play piano. Started in 2011...progressing slowly. Would like to correspond and get critiques from others who play. To know more of my journey or listen to me play visit my blog at www.harrisonsphotography.com.au/wp
John H
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brodmann vs Boston vs Yamaha?
by sdag - 07/12/20 10:12 AM
Warning for second hand sellers
by KevinM - 07/12/20 09:36 AM
Key weight setting
by CajunJ - 07/12/20 09:10 AM
Digital vs Real piano for practicing
by Aceituna - 07/12/20 04:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,218
Posts2,979,817
Members97,750
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission