2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
Great thread! This came at the perfect time for me, as I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of our piano and being able to start playing again after a 20-year hiatus. I was a fairly good sight reader in my younger days, so I often bulled my way through new, difficult pieces without taking the time to learn proper fingering. Further practice only served to reinforce bad habits. Seeing your post reinforced the need to take things slower this time around and really focus on my technique and expression.

It's always stood out to me how really good pianists are able to take seemingly simple pieces and make them sound amazingly beautiful. Nothing simple about it, and I'd wager that when you've taken the time to properly master the techniques and skills required to play the more intermediate stuff really well, you'll find those ambitious pieces within your grasp before long (and more fun to learn as well).

Schimmel I-208
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by tludwig

It's always stood out to me how really good pianists are able to take seemingly simple pieces and make them sound amazingly beautiful. Nothing simple about it, and I'd wager that when you've taken the time to properly master the techniques and skills required to play the more intermediate stuff really well, you'll find those ambitious pieces within your grasp before long (and more fun to learn as well).

This is exactly what I had in mind when starting this thread. Over the last few years I have made several steps backwards reducing both difficulty and the number of pieces I work on. As for now I'm able to play music that is way beyond my earlier capabilities.

It is amazing how much it helps just to slightly reduce the tempo, both during practice and performance. Earlier I always tried to push the speed as far as I could all the time, and the result was that I actually never had the full control. Just thinking that "now I play the piece slower" while actually playing at the same speed seems to help me a lot. It reduces tension and makes everything sound much better.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
[...]
It is amazing how much it helps just to slightly reduce the tempo, both during practice and performance. Earlier I always tried to push the speed as far as I could all the time, and the result was that I actually never had the full control. Just thinking that "now I play the piece slower" while actually playing at the same speed seems to help me a lot. It reduces tension and makes everything sound much better.

I recently heard someone say that Orson Welles would tell his radio players, "If you think you're reading too slowly, slow down!"

Whether that is true or not, I started applying that advice when I play, and it makes a huge difference! Just like you said, Ganddalf--I sometimes pick a tempo that "seems right," but find out when I'm into the piece that I don't have control. Slowing down to a comfortable pace doesn't seem to change the character of the piece and gives me more room to shape.

So, I'm camping with you if you don't mind. Where do I put my tent? Since I gave up virtuosic ambitions (about five years ago, now!), I've discovered a life's-worth of music to play that's right in my wheelhouse, and, wouldn't you know it?, pieces that were too difficult for me several years ago are now accessible. My sight reading has improved a lot, too! grin And, I played my first glissando this year! laugh (It's in the intro of the vintage pop sheet version of "Winter Wonderland!"... crazy )

A great big smiley plus one to you, Ganddalf!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Oh, and!... Our online friend who has currently screen-named herself "Pogerelich." (and who will always be "Angelina" to me no matter what her real name is), says,

"You shouldn't play faster than you can think."

That's who I heard it from first, anyway... And it makes sense! There's so much integration going on when we play!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Bought Alfred's adult course Level 2 book and found I can sight read it at slow speed so far.
Having a lot of fun with it. My piano education as a child stopped early. Had advanced myself in my own mind too much. wink

Starting a piece too fast? That is called alleregretto.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by CHAS

Starting a piece too fast? That is called alleregretto.

laugh ha

1989 Baldwin R
M
M
Oh! I love this. This is on my list.

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine." -Beethoven
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My turn to testify! The last time that I returned to playing piano (there have been multiple divorces and remarriages) came after I discovered the music of Mompou. I can't say i really understood Musica Callada right off, but I had bought a CD of it based only on an Amazon description, and then found it compelling enough to get the sheet music. Something in me wanted that music to become part of my life if only due to my sheer loneliness at the time. It took me close to a year to really understand wtf it was I was playing, but it turned out not only to be the perfect musical companion but technically was perfect for my attention span at the time, which was like one page. For the longest while all I played was Mompou and also Satie, as they felt, and still feel like spiritual brothers.

Flash forward 9 years later. I'm up to playing 9 pages with Melancolie, by Poulenc a composer who was referred to me by our mutual friend Satie. Maybe my approach is narrow-minded. It's certainly not an approach they might teach at Julliard, but it works for me. I think in the mad rush of showing respect for "the masters" it's easy to lose sight of that old thing about how the "great" can ruin the "good". I've taken no small comfort in knowing how Mompou once fled from a concert after he learned that Beethoven was on the program.

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense."
- Gertrude Stein
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by toyboy
I've taken no small comfort in knowing how Mompou once fled from a concert after he learned that Beethoven was on the program.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, which I think is excellent, but I think that part of the French composer's (not just Mompou's) dislike of Beethoven was linked with how they felt about Prussia and later Germany after the Franco-Prussian war (which affected Debussy's childhood) and WWI, when Mompou fled Paris. So it's complicated, and probably not just the music...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

I recently heard someone say that Orson Welles would tell his radio players, "If you think you're reading too slowly, slow down!"

Whether that is true or not, I started applying that advice when I play, and it makes a huge difference! Just like you said, Ganddalf--I sometimes pick a tempo that "seems right," but find out when I'm into the piece that I don't have control. Slowing down to a comfortable pace doesn't seem to change the character of the piece and gives me more room to shape.

So, I'm camping with you if you don't mind. Where do I put my tent? Since I gave up virtuosic ambitions (about five years ago, now!), I've discovered a life's-worth of music to play that's right in my wheelhouse, and, wouldn't you know it?, pieces that were too difficult for me several years ago are now accessible. My sight reading has improved a lot, too! grin And, I played my first glissando this year! laugh (It's in the intro of the vintage pop sheet version of "Winter Wonderland!"... crazy )

A great big smiley plus one to you, Ganddalf!

--Andy

Thanks for your kind words, Andy!
Just a week ago I attended a funeral, and the organ of the church was obviously out of service, because the organist had to play the piano instead (not very common in Norway). He played one Grieg piece ("Melody" - Op.47/3 I think) and the b-minor prelude of Chopin. Both are simple pieces, but he played with such expression and sensitivity that I was really moved by his music. And that was not because of the funeral setting.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good post! I learned to play piano in my youth and got back into lessons in later life with a fine teacher who pushed me well. I quit lessons a few years ago but I recently decided to forego all the real tough stuff that we tackled in favor of pieces that are not so stressful or manually uncomfortable. So I have a binder of pieces that have made the cut for my core repertoire. These include for example:

Bach JS. Invention #13, Tocatta in Dmi
Bach CPE Solfleggio
Chopin Preludes in A, Cmi, Emi, Waltz in C#mi Revolutionary Etude
Debussy 1st arabesque, Reverie
Mendlessohn. Emi scherzo op 16
MacDowell To a wild rose, Scotch Poem
Mozart. Sonatas in Ami, B flat
Rachmaninoff. Preludes in C#mi and Gmi
Shostakovich. Fantastic dance #1
Scarlatti Sonata in Dmi k141
Etc....

Also some novelties like Dizzy Fingers, Alley Cat, a couple of rags and boogies as well.

Ashoken Farewell is an easy crowd pleaser too.

However, I will still keep up with maybe 3 or 4 Beethoven sonata movements on a rotation...couldn't part with those!

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stanza
Good post! I learned to play piano in my youth and got back into lessons in later life with a fine teacher who pushed me well. I quit lessons a few years ago but I recently decided to forego all the real tough stuff that we tackled in favor of pieces that are not so stressful or manually uncomfortable. So I have a binder of pieces that have made the cut for my core repertoire. These include for example:

Bach JS. Invention #13, Tocatta in Dmi
Bach CPE Solfleggio
Chopin Preludes in A, Cmi, Emi, Waltz in C#mi Revolutionary Etude
Debussy 1st arabesque, Reverie
Mendlessohn. Emi scherzo op 16
MacDowell To a wild rose, Scotch Poem
Mozart. Sonatas in Ami, B flat
Rachmaninoff. Preludes in C#mi and Gmi
Shostakovich. Fantastic dance #1
Scarlatti Sonata in Dmi k141
Etc....
While some of these are relatively easy - others aren't. In fact, a few are rather advanced. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not ready to reduce my ambitions. If I ever do, I'm sure I'd have to change my name from Arghhh to something else.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Arghhh
Not ready to reduce my ambitions. If I ever do, I'm sure I'd have to change my name from Arghhh to something else.

Ahhh?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission