2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
43 members (Damyan, Beowulf, andredatele, ando, dhull100, Anglagard44, Burkey, 13 invisible), 482 guests, and 498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking for piano camp for 12 year old this summer
#2483282 11/22/15 11:20 AM
P
prenex Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm looking for recommendations for a piano camp in the US for this summer. The kid is 12 years old, current repertoire is hovering around RCM grade 10. Good reader, not so good on theory yet. Loves collaboration and dorm/camp life. Is OK with up to 2 weeks away from home. A bit picky with food and doesn't like spicy food too much.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Looking for piano camp for 12 year old this summer
prenex #2483349 11/22/15 02:35 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Learner
prenex #2483485 11/23/15 02:01 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
malkin: $2525 seems very pricey for two weeks. That money would be far better spent in additional time added to his/her lesson.

Last edited by Candywoman; 11/23/15 02:02 AM.
Candywoman #2483487 11/23/15 02:27 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Candywoman
malkin: $2525 seems very pricey for two weeks. That money would be far better spent in additional time added to his/her lesson.

Hi Candywoman
I attended an adult piano camp last summer and will do so again this summer... yes, it is very pricey, but the benefits extend beyond that of adding time to lessons, IMHO.

To list a few: lessons from concert pianists (different than my own highly skilled teacher), masterclasses, and the opportunity to share music with other motivated students. From the masterclasses, I learned from the feedback given to other students, and from other students to me. There was both a faculty and a student recital.

I can't vouch for the teenage camps, but I would expect a similar, worthwhile experience that is well-worth the price.. and quite different from adding time to lessons as a substitution.

Last edited by dogperson; 11/23/15 02:41 AM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
prenex #2483546 11/23/15 08:36 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Shopping for camp will include comparison the cost, the logistics, the program, and many other factors. Camp will provide a completely different experience than time added to lessons.

Learner
prenex #2483578 11/23/15 10:14 AM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Here's a link with costs for summer camp (in general, not piano).

http://www.camphuawni.com/blog/the-cost-of-overnight-summer-camps

That price seems to be in line.

gotta go practice
Candywoman #2483591 11/23/15 10:58 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Summer camp provides an immersion experience. It's way beyond lessons. It's lessons by different teachers so the students get some different perspectives. Then there is focused practice a couple of hours a day. There is time to work with other pianists at similar levels and to work with orchestras. There are a variety of other classes (instruments, composition, theory, etc, etc). And there is the peer group of other dedicated young pianists that many kids don't find locally.

My kids have always been really happy about these camps. I have heard from other parents similar feedback (some parents went to such camps when they were young and these were great memories). I have also read in books about the importance of such camps.

Whether the money spent on the camp can't be spent in better ways... I'm sure it will depends on each family.

Candywoman #2483606 11/23/15 12:07 PM
P
prenex Offline OP
OP Offline
P

For some people yes, but I think some personalities tend to thrive in a group. I wouldn't be asking if this child were not at least a bit of an extravert.

Last edited by prenex; 11/23/15 12:07 PM.
prenex #2483607 11/23/15 12:10 PM
P
prenex Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'd also add that it's not just a matter of music, we've managed fine on that part without camps, it's about soft skills, collaboration, etc. All that fun stuff they say you need when you grow up.

Also, come to think of it, something in the Midwest would be great. Idylwild sounds great and I remember driving up there a few times a year from Los Angeles but for now we need to be a bit closer to the center of the nation.

prenex #2483614 11/23/15 12:16 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Many major conservatories probably have summer camps/festivals, such as Indiana U. and Oberlin (talking about midwest). Or maybe look into Interlochen.

prenex #2483621 11/23/15 12:34 PM
P
prenex Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Ooh... Oberlin and Indiana.

prenex #2483635 11/23/15 01:14 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What about Interlochen?

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
hreichgott #2485463 11/28/15 06:10 PM
P
prenex Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by hreichgott
What about Interlochen?

Yes that's in the running as well. I've been told it's quite a high level camp.

prenex #2485506 11/28/15 09:28 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It does have an advanced division but there are other programs as well.
The audition rep for the advanced piano looks like about Grade 10 -- so maybe audition both for that and for the non-advanced division that is listed for his age group.
I don't know that much about the camp in recent years, but from what I have heard it's easier to get into the summer programs than the year-round high school.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
prenex #2485657 11/29/15 11:06 AM
P
prenex Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Good Grief $9k for Interlochen.

prenex #2485732 11/29/15 03:48 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
My son attended music camp at UOP. He had a great time, there is a piano week. You might just google piano camp and look for one in the location you want.

My coworker was a counselor at Interlochen. He said it's an amazing experience.

For those sticker shocked, just basic camp is expensive.

MaggieGirl #2485792 11/29/15 07:03 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaggieGirl
For those sticker shocked, just basic camp is expensive.

Kids are expensive.
Anyone sticker shocked should be vigilant about contraception.

Learner
prenex #2487716 12/05/15 01:19 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I suppose if I made more money, I might consider piano camp a viable choice for parents. But I tend to think people should be frugal, and get the most benefit for the least money. Social experiences don't rate very highly on my list, but even if I bumped them up on my list, they could still be had in less expensive ways.

Masterclasses, faculty recitals, student recitals, lessons with concert pianists; these can all be had in far less expensive ways.

I concede the opportunity to write for orchestra or play a concerto with one, might be harder to get elsewhere.

Composition and theory classes are often taught at our local conservatory. Many private piano teachers would love to have students come for these things regularly, especially at the higher levels.

In short, I think somebody is filling an emotional need by creating these camps, and the people they hire are earning money beyond what is reasonable. But there's no harm done. They need to earn a living too. And when they get paid, who knows? They pay taxes and the money goes around.

Candywoman #2488061 12/06/15 03:26 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
I suppose if I made more money, I might consider piano camp a viable choice for parents. But I tend to think people should be frugal, and get the most benefit for the least money. Social experiences don't rate very highly on my list, but even if I bumped them up on my list, they could still be had in less expensive ways.

Masterclasses, faculty recitals, student recitals, lessons with concert pianists; these can all be had in far less expensive ways.

I concede the opportunity to write for orchestra or play a concerto with one, might be harder to get elsewhere.

Composition and theory classes are often taught at our local conservatory. Many private piano teachers would love to have students come for these things regularly, especially at the higher levels.

In short, I think somebody is filling an emotional need by creating these camps, and the people they hire are earning money beyond what is reasonable. But there's no harm done. They need to earn a living too. And when they get paid, who knows? They pay taxes and the money goes around.

Your profile does not show where you live, so I am assuming in a large metropolitan area. Hypothetically, if you lived in small-mid town, how do you believe this immersion experience can be duplicated?

Masterclasses with performing concert pianists and/or university professors? I have no university, and there are around five teachers here. Even with a university, how do you propose this can be set up? Do you set that up for your students now?

Student recitals? Performance opportunities? How can a student increase the exposure? How do you help your students to get this?

Composition classes at a local conservatory? That's great for you but there is not one where I live.

I am not dismissing how important the social aspect is, nor should you . .. I came home from camp with a renewed energy that was 'priceless'. .. to talk and work with other passionate musicians was really worth a lot.

To make a statement these instructors are paid too much without supportive data for your claim is unfair and unwarranted... it is really hard, exhaustive work for them.

It is too bad that you can't unemotionally see the value for your students.. or if you believe it is a waste of money, set up your own plan to make all of this available for your students..

since your post does not include that you are already doing all of these things, I am assuming that your argument is hypothetical only. If you have set up these alternatives, it would be great to know how you accomplished this so all of us could use that information.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
prenex #2488215 12/06/15 03:14 PM
J
J
Hey, all! I am new to this forum, greetings from Chicago! I am faced with a somewhat similar situation. Me and my husband live in Chicago but we will be moving to the [color:#000000]Sabbia Beach Condos[/color] place in Pompano Beach, FL this spring to live there after retirement. The thing is that our grandson, who plays the piano, always stays with us during the summer when he is not at school because his parents have to travel abroad. So, I was wondering if anyone here knows if there is a good teacher in the Pompano Beach area in Southern Florida so that our grandson can practice during the summer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot, love, Jessica.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland LX706 Review
by Colin Miles - 12/04/20 06:41 AM
Best Headphones for Digital Piano - your experience
by lukasz-zsakul - 12/04/20 05:10 AM
Is the Hailun 218 solid spruce?
by Sonepica - 12/04/20 04:55 AM
Schiff talked about Bartók's style of playing
by symphonicdance - 12/04/20 01:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,254
Posts3,030,353
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission