Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
127 registered members (90125, Animisha, barbaram, ando, bobrunyan, Beowulf, Alex C, Amedeus, 29 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin #2482868
11/20/15 07:41 PM
11/20/15 07:41 PM
Chula Vista
neciebugs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
neciebugs  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Chula Vista
We are going to look at one from a private seller in about 2 weeks. It looks pristine, original owner, tuned regularly. So well-maintained. Of course I have no idea how it feels and sounds. I will know more in 2 weeks.

Provided it is in very good to excellent condition, what is a pretty decent range of prices for it? They are asking 58k but said negotiable. They are not in a hurry to sell, but their son who plays went away to college and they need money to help pay for his future years of college.

Thoughts?

Denise
2005 Schulze Pollmann 126/e Classico Upright (Maple with Sunburst inlay)
1965 Baldwin Model L 6'3" Grand (Satin Black)
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: neciebugs] #2482878
11/20/15 08:35 PM
11/20/15 08:35 PM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Seattle Area
Sending you a PM

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: Markarian] #2482883
11/20/15 08:57 PM
11/20/15 08:57 PM
Chula Vista
neciebugs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
neciebugs  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Chula Vista
Originally Posted by Markarian
Sending you a PM

got it, and responded! Thank you!

Denise
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: neciebugs] #2482886
11/20/15 09:15 PM
11/20/15 09:15 PM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
There are a lot of very fine new pianos in the 7' size with a "street price" of $50-60k that aren't Steinways. For that matter, you can also find some really high-end comprehensive rebuilds of B's for that price (with varying degrees of excellence in performance and execution). NY Steinway B's are not hard to find used from various vintages, so take your time.

A private sale situation for a high-dollar piano is probably advantage: buyer in this market. I'd bet you could negotiate the price, unless it's an unusually excellent example of the model.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: terminaldegree] #2482892
11/20/15 09:24 PM
11/20/15 09:24 PM
Chula Vista
neciebugs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
neciebugs  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Chula Vista
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
There are a lot of very fine new pianos in the 7' size with a "street price" of $50-60k that aren't Steinways. For that matter, you can also find some really high-end comprehensive rebuilds of B's for that price (with varying degrees of excellence in performance and execution). NY Steinway B's are not hard to find used from various vintages, so take your time.

A private sale situation for a high-dollar piano is probably advantage: buyer in this market. I'd bet you could negotiate the price, unless it's an unusually excellent example of the model.

Thats kind of what I am thinking! It will also save on sales tax. We are looking at a Mason and Hamlin AA (I think) on Tuesday. We did play a very nice Yamaha C5 from the mid 2000-2010. It was solid, sounded good... and was 16k negotiable and she would take trade on my SP. It's definitely a contender, but I would likely be wishing for a B in years to come.

Denise
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: neciebugs] #2482899
11/20/15 10:06 PM
11/20/15 10:06 PM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Online content
4000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
If the piano passes your own eye, ear, nose and finger tests-be sure to find an independent technician top verified everything is good. I know Mark Adams, RPT in the San Diego area and he is superb. 858-583-3333.

One thing that some Steinway grands have that is nearly fatal to treble tone is if the factory hardens the V-bar. The V-bar is the string termination under the capo-d'astro bar in the top two sections of strings. Your technician can test for it by removing the action and using a small file to cut a very small amount on the sides of the V-bar under the plate strut. If your ear hears the sound of two files rubbing against each other-the bar is hard.

Hard V-bars cause noisy, false treble tone and fatigue the strings rapidly.

$58K for a private sale of a nearly new B is high. For a perfectly prepared one from a reputable dealer that include warranty, delivery and service, that is the going rate.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2482915
11/21/15 12:13 AM
11/21/15 12:13 AM
Seattle Area
M
Markarian Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Markarian  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Seattle Area
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT

$58K for a private sale of a nearly new B is high. For a perfectly prepared one from a reputable dealer that include warranty, delivery and service, that is the going rate.

This ^

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Sub 37 | Behringer DeepMind 12 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 6 | Korg Prologue
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: neciebugs] #2482926
11/21/15 01:17 AM
11/21/15 01:17 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Steinway Bs can be very nice pianos indeed but they have stiff competition in the price range you mentioned. It makes only sense to compare this piano to all other options at same price level. Which includes some high end new brands......
We once had one of similar vintage but couldn't sell it. Returned piano to owner after one year who sold it for considerable less.
If you feel confident make a deal, but don't do more shopping around later.
You may understand what I say.....
Best wishes
Norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: neciebugs] #2482931
11/21/15 02:06 AM
11/21/15 02:06 AM
CO, USA
P
phacke Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
phacke  Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

P

CO, USA
Originally Posted by neciebugs
but their son who plays went away to college and they need money to help pay for his future years of college.

I worry this is gonna be me. I hope not.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: Norbert] #2482941
11/21/15 03:46 AM
11/21/15 03:46 AM
Leicester, UK
M
Mark Polishook Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mark Polishook  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Leicester, UK
Originally Posted by Norbert
It makes only sense to compare this piano to all other options at same price level. Which includes some high end new brands......

Excellent advice ...

Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: Mark Polishook] #2482995
11/21/15 10:20 AM
11/21/15 10:20 AM
Chula Vista
neciebugs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
neciebugs  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Chula Vista
Thank you all!

I am definitely keeping my options open. I found a piano restorer in Hollywood... so it will be quite a drive (3+ hours). He has a B. He is going to get me the serial number when he is back at the warehouse. He said it was a church piano. The case is pretty blemished, but he could have it restored for 3-4k. The piano itself seems to be in surprisingly good condition. The soundboard and pin block are intact. The strings are clean... He is asking about 22k for the piano. If I have him refinish the furniture it would be 26k. So I think it is worth the trip to see, play and hear... It may well be beat to heck... but who knows. I asked if there was anything else he might do to it other than refinish. He said not really, other than tuning and possible voicing down when it is delivered. I would think if he were shady he may have come up with other things to be done... I could be wrong.

One thing I know, is it is a GOOD thing I have plenty of time to look and weigh all my options!! hehe

~Denise

Last edited by neciebugs; 11/21/15 10:21 AM.

Denise
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: neciebugs] #2482999
11/21/15 10:34 AM
11/21/15 10:34 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Thank you all!

I am definitely keeping my options open. I found a piano restorer in Hollywood... so it will be quite a drive (3+ hours). He has a B. He is going to get me the serial number when he is back at the warehouse. He said it was a church piano. The case is pretty blemished, but he could have it restored for 3-4k. The piano itself seems to be in surprisingly good condition. The soundboard and pin block are intact. The strings are clean... He is asking about 22k for the piano. If I have him refinish the furniture it would be 26k. So I think it is worth the trip to see, play and hear... It may well be beat to heck... but who knows. I asked if there was anything else he might do to it other than refinish. He said not really, other than tuning and possible voicing down when it is delivered. I would think if he were shady he may have come up with other things to be done... I could be wrong.

One thing I know, is it is a GOOD thing I have plenty of time to look and weigh all my options!! hehe

~Denise
"Seems to be in surprisingly good condition" according to whom? If just according to the seller this is almost meaningless unless they are a close personal friend.

Before you travel three hours each way have him send you many close up pictures of the inside and outside. Saying parts are "intact" could easily just mean not broken. In addition, the extra he wants to charge for refinishing/repairing the case is very low which could indicate not the highest quality work would be done. Get the year the piano was built which is at least as important than the serial number. And find out if any prior work has been done on it.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/21/15 10:50 AM.
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: Mark Polishook] #2483000
11/21/15 10:45 AM
11/21/15 10:45 AM
New York City

New York City
Originally Posted by Mark Polishook
It makes only sense to compare this piano to all other options at same price level. Which includes some high end new brands......

Excellent advice ...
Only reasonable advice if one has decided exactly how much one will spend and will not under any circumstances go higher or lower by any significant amount. For many people this is not the case, and people often(as in 1000s of posts about this at PW)end up asking themselves if piano X at price Y worth the extra compared to piano Z at some price less than Y. Or vice versa.

A person could easily end up comparing one piano at 60K to another one at 40K and decide for them the higher priced piano is worth it.

Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: pianoloverus] #2483003
11/21/15 10:54 AM
11/21/15 10:54 AM
Chula Vista
neciebugs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
neciebugs  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Chula Vista
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Thank you all!

~Denise
Before you travel three hours each way have him send you many pictures of the inside and outside. Saying parts are "intact" could easily just mean not broken. In addition, the extra he wants to charge for refinishing/repairing the case is very low which could indicate not the highest quality work.Get the year the piano was built which at least as important than the serial number.

Indeed! I have already asked for some pictures. He did say he would pass on the "commercial discount" for refinishing, so that may explain the lower cost for refinishing. He said 4-6k. but on subsequent emails he said 4k. He also knows I am in no hurry to buy.

I have set my budget at 30k plus trade in on my piano, which depending on where and what piano should fetch 5-9k (already offered 9k if i got a NEW Steinway... which unfortunately the only one I could afford that would be a bit over budget is an O).

If it were a used B that is in amazing condition, I would figure out how to get up to 50k. Give or take. a few thousand. So the original post on this thread, I might consider the lady's B if she is negotiable on price.

Argh... lol I just want it all right! ;-)

Denise
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: pianoloverus] #2483028
11/21/15 12:59 PM
11/21/15 12:59 PM
Leicester, UK
M
Mark Polishook Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mark Polishook  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Leicester, UK

Excellent advice ...
Only reasonable advice if one has decided exactly how much one will spend and will not under any circumstances go higher or lower by any significant amount. For many people this is not the case, and people often(as in 1000s of posts about this at PW)end up asking themselves if piano X at price Y worth the extra compared to piano Z at some price less than Y. Or vice versa.

A person could easily end up comparing one piano at 60K to another one at 40K and decide for them the higher priced piano is worth it.

Excellent advice ...

Excellent advice ...

Excellent advice ...

Excellent advice ...

I don't know about all that hypothetical explanation appended to my comment which was appended in turn to Norbert's excellent advice. Trying more pianos rather than less IS good practice. However, the OP and her tech can decide together whether or not that's applicable or desirable for her circumstance.

Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: neciebugs] #2483036
11/21/15 01:28 PM
11/21/15 01:28 PM
Jersey Shore
M
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M

Jersey Shore
Did you ever get the chance to visit Livingpianos?

Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: neciebugs] #2483046
11/21/15 01:58 PM
11/21/15 01:58 PM
Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Rich D. Offline
Gold Subscriber
Rich D.  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Rehoboth Beach De. USA
I was wondering also if visiting Livingpianos was still being planned. Checking out the Baldwin SF10 might be worth the trip. The best Baldwin I've ever played was the SF10. I see he also has a Mason Hamlin AA for sale as well.

Rich

Retired at the beach

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: Rich D.] #2483064
11/21/15 03:30 PM
11/21/15 03:30 PM
Chula Vista
neciebugs Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
neciebugs  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Chula Vista
Originally Posted by Rich D.
I was wondering also if visiting Livingpianos was still being planned. Checking out the Baldwin SF10 might be worth the trip. The best Baldwin I've ever played was the SF10. I see he also has a Mason Hamlin AA for sale as well.

Rich

Rich,

We are going Tuesday! :-) I am working with Shon, and he knows that this both pianos are at the top of the list! :-)

Thanks!!

Denise
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: Mark Polishook] #2483068
11/21/15 04:04 PM
11/21/15 04:04 PM
New York City

New York City

I don't know about all that hypothetical explanation appended to my comment which was appended in turn to Norbert's excellent advice. Trying more pianos rather than less IS good practice. However, the OP and her tech can decide together whether or not that's applicable or desirable for her circumstance.
My point was Norbert's advice was not correct IMO. It does make sense to compare pianos in different price ranges for the reason I gave and this is, in fact, often done by customers.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/21/15 04:08 PM.
Re: 2001 Steinway B Ebony Satin [Re: Rich D.] #2483071
11/21/15 04:24 PM
11/21/15 04:24 PM
Jersey Shore
M
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M

Jersey Shore
Originally Posted by Rich D.

Rich

Did you play that SF-10...I almost bought it without trying it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fazioli Changes Over the Years
by Sleepingtiger. 01/22/19 11:07 AM
p515/clp685 vs cp88
by Jitin. 01/22/19 10:16 AM
Twinkle or Moonlight?
by MrsD. 01/22/19 04:16 AM
My LTCL Repetiore
by Jaguarinoff. 01/22/19 03:31 AM
Hailun & Room Size
by Katie-eights. 01/21/19 09:52 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,725
Posts2,784,650
Members92,193
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission