2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
I'm sure this has been discussed here, but the subject will make for an easy search in the future.

My husband and I have been traveling quite a bit lately, and I've always tried to find ways to practice while away from our home instrument. Sometimes I'm lucky but most of the time finding an instrument suitable for this necessary part of my day has been a hassle.

After internet searches I found this article:

http://www.zsolt-bognar.com/?p=1117

Based on the information found within, sight unseen I pulled the trigger on the Casio Privia PX-150 on Thursday, 11/12, and it arrived yesterday, along with the TSA approved travel case (Gator Cases GKPE-88SLIM-TSA).

Last night I spent practice time on it and couldn't be more pleased. The touch is exquisite, the dynamic range is very good, and the case and piano weigh a total of 49.5 pounds, below the 50 pound threshold for air travel... even though I may have to pay oversize charges. Headphones will make the hotel dwellers happy, and the onboard speakers are decent if I'm in the mood to share.

The number of sounds available IS limited, but the sounds available are quite good. However, the touch is what I was interested in, and this instrument is stellar in this regard, from the feel of the key surfaces to the overall action weight and aftertouch sensation.

If you travel and wish to practice while doing so, this is a good way to accomplish that.

I highly recommend it.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
I also highly recommend it, PX-160 is just a bit more fresh model, nothing special, a bit nicer design, and a few more non-critical options. Mechanics is 100% identical. Even much higher I recommend you to get Pianoteq and something like this Apogee Groove to complement it - I guarantee you'll be tremendously impressed. BTW Pianoteq has a very useable demo available.

F
F
Interesting: I have been considering the PX 150 / 160 for travel as well for a while, but one thing has held me back:
Assuming the piano is checked in (if not, a lighter flexible case would be more adequate, but would the thing be allowed on board, in economy class? very unlikely...), the case looks pretty sturdy, but I'm not sure how it would perform on repeat long haul flights - baggage handlers are not usually known for delicate treatment, sometimes luggage looks like a bunch of monkeys were hired to jump on it for a while...

Yes Pianoteq is great, especially because the sound is so "alive" and almost never gets boring (I just bought one of the "historical pianos" packs and it is awesome). I think Pianoteq can run on very light laptops or even tablets now, making this the ideal travel solution, but it's more stuff to carry.

Yamaha C3X-SH. Pianoteq V5. Steinberg U22 USB.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Has anyone tried getting one of these on an airline. Have they assessed a surcharge because of the excess length?

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I take my PX-350 on driving trips all the time, though when I fly I take a Roland RD-64.

The Casio is really nice for the money, and the price/weight/value combination is just about unbeatable.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Try a Kawai ES100, this model has a better key action and a better finger to sound connection than Casio Privia PX150/160. Of course this is a very subjective topic, so, you must try by yourself.

F
F
Thanks for suggesting the RD-64, which looks more portable in a flight situation. 88 keys are just too much to haul around when you commute through airports...

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Fer De Armas
Try a Kawai ES100, this model has a better key action and a better finger to sound connection than Casio Privia PX150/160. Of course this is a very subjective topic, so, you must try by yourself.

You keep saying this as if it's an axiom, even though qualifying it with the "subjective" word.

There's nothing wrong with having your opinion, but for <deity's> sake will you stop saying it as if it's fact - because it most certainly isn't.

I've played both, I found the Casio action preferable, whilst ever-so-slightly preferring the sound / audio from the ES100's native speakers.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I basically agree with Lester. For a self-contained unit--i.e. using a DP with its internal sound and its internal speakers--I prefer the ES100 to the PX150, I think that it provides an overall more satisfactory playing experience. But if you look at the component parts of that, I'd prefer the Casio action, so if you have the option of connecting to a laptop (or possibly iPad) and using that for sound, then I'd lean toward the Casio. In terms of travel, the Casio also has a significant weight advantage, 24.25 lbs vs 33 lbs, before adding any case.

As for air travel, I think a 49-key board is probably the largest you could expect to not have to check. For anythig else, you will want a hard case for protection as checked luggage. That also argues in favor of the RD64, which while 4 lbs heavier than the Casio, is suffficiently smaller I'd expect you to more than make up that weight savings in the smaller case. If I wanted a weighted board for frequent air travel, I'd probably go that way.

B
B
Originally Posted by Lester Burnham
You keep saying this as if it's an axiom, even though qualifying it with the "subjective" word.

There's nothing wrong with having your opinion, but for <deity's> sake will you stop saying it as if it's fact - because it most certainly isn't.

I've played both, I found the Casio action preferable, whilst ever-so-slightly preferring the sound / audio from the ES100's native speakers.

I'll repeat what I have to say: At this price range every digital piano doesn't play like an acoustic piano, they all have too many compromises, so pick your poison. The privia series still happens to be the best value in this range and is the lightest weight of the bunch.

The rd64 looks very interesting. It must be relatively new.

Last edited by bnolsen; 11/18/15 01:37 PM.
F
F
This has been debated before, but independently from the fact that you have to check in the keyboard (which is likely for both the RD-64 and the Px-150), a shorter keyboard is easier to haul around in taxis, metros etc...

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Beakybird
Has anyone tried getting one of these on an airline. Have they assessed a surcharge because of the excess length?

We are traveling to Hilo, HI in January. I'll post the verdict then.

best,
F

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Good luck! If anyone else has had an experience, please post.

Wow, the ATA case costs almost as much as the keyboard!

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I use the PX130 as the local travel keyboard- in a soft case as well. It is good for sharing with others at songwritng events/open mics/house concerts. It has enough to fill up a small basement room and can connect to a PA.
With the low cost it is not something to stress about. However, I don't think its great for a stay at home piano by any means but it fills its purpose well

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Forrest Halford
Originally Posted by Beakybird

We are traveling to Hilo, HI in January. I'll post the verdict then.

best,
F

On our way to Hawaii, and Just as the article stated, the piano, three pads and case = 49.5 pounds. The power ore, pedal and music desk are packed into separate suitcase.
I just checked it with United Airlines in the Nashville airport, no charge. I did state that it was a musical instrument, so that might have made a difference (as well as it being Nashville, where musical instruments are expected). At any rate, I'm thrilled to have no extra charges.

F
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Back from Hawaii, and the only cost I incurred was $25 for an additional bag for flying Hawaiian Air.
No oversize charges either way.

Forrest

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, ...how compare PX150/160 against new Roland FP30 in key action and piano sound?. Thanks!.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Fer De Armas,
Is the roland FP30 even available anywhere yet? It only seems available as pre-order in the states. Perhaps it's been released in other markets? In any case I suspect not many people have had a chance to test it yet for comparison.

Warm Regards.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I have a PX-350 and I played the FP30 really briefly at NAMM and my (very preliminary) impression was that I didn't like the action nearly as much. It was too noisy to really judge the sound quality.

--
Steve

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Thanks for your feedback... could you share with us more details about your experience with Roland FP30 key action?, which has a heavier key action between both DP's?. Cheers!.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission