2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
N
N
Hi All
This has been my first recital and I have to say it's been great to listen to all the other adult learners. The ones with less experience than me remind me how I was not long ago and the ones with more give me hope that I'll be able to play like them one day! Anyway, I've been really busy (don't know why since I'm semi-retired) and now I'm away for a couple of days but I'll try to give some feedback to you when I come back. Cheers, John H

Semi-retired photographer from Australia enjoying my spare time learning to play piano. Started in 2011...progressing slowly. Would like to correspond and get critiques from others who play. To know more of my journey or listen to me play visit my blog at www.harrisonsphotography.com.au/wp
John H
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

16. Khopin - Chopin - Andante Spianato What a gorgeous piece, beautifully played! I thought your RH/LH balance was very good. The LH arpeggios flowed very evenly with nice shaping.

17. Zoot64 - Allegro First movement from Sonatina in C, Op. 36 No.1 Nice jaunty treatment of this classic with great dynamics. Excellent job!

18. dynamobt/Marilyn - Arabesque Welcome back to piano after your shoulder surgery. You did a lovely job with this, giving it a lot of drama. Wonderful dynamics and phrasing.

19. peterws (peter) - Platform Level - Wat Out! Amazing work for just “playing around”! Clearly you are a master of the instrument. Really enjoyable listening.

20. barbaram - Dream a Little Dream Loved it! I can hear Mama Cass singing along. I like how you phrased the piece.

21. JustinDAggie - Philosophy Very competent playing of this very busy piece. There is a lot going on in this piece and you handled it well and kept it rolling along.

22. lyricmudra - Minuet in G Minor from the Keyboard Suite No. 1 in B-Flat Major, HWV 434 Lovely, romantic treatment of this Handel composition. You gave it a very full and rich playing. Great dynamics!

23. 8 Octaves - Sonata in G Major, 2nd Mvmt: Romance I love this Romance. It is more challenging than it first appears, and you did a lovely job with it. Playing this completely without pedal is difficult because of the need to keep the legato clear. I thing you did that well. Great job.

24. Greener/Jeff - Ab Waltz Nice, joyful treatment of this lovely waltz! You captured the floating character of the piece. Nice playing.

25. sinophilia - Invention no. 1 in C major Wonderful job on your first invention! You have very good balance between the voices, and keep the rhythm moving forward steadily. Excellent job!

26. Copper - Yesterday Nice, heartful version of this classic. I like the slow pace that you give it.

27. Medden (Simon) - I Giorni This is one of my favorite Einaudi pieces. You definitely do it justice! I like how you let the phrases breath. Great dynamics.

28. Sand Tiger - Somewhere Over the Rainbow Awe, you had me singing along! Nice treatment of this classic.

29. Pollux - Piggies This is a charming melody that is not often heard. I like the gentle, child-like feel that you give it.

30. MeganR - Angelfish This is a lovely piece! You played very evenly and with great expression. Wonderful job for 7 months!

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS

25. sinophilia - Invention no. 1 in C major Wonderful job on your first invention! You have very good balance between the voices, and keep the rhythm moving forward steadily. Excellent job!

Keeping the rhythm moving forward steadily was my main goal, I'm glad it worked! Thank you!

How wonderful to be able to play a Beethoven sonata. The movement you played is lovely indeed. Such a sensitive touch.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ajames
06. johan d - Menuet in G minor, BWV Anh.115 Nicely done. My teacher forces(:-) me to play these countrapuntal baroque pieces so I know how difficult it is to pull them off this well. Very nicely done.

Thank you very much. No need to force these pieces to me, I really like them :-)

Originally Posted by SwissMS
06. johan d - Menuet in G minor, BWV Anh.115 I like the slow, steady pacing you give to this lovely minuet. Nicely played.

Originally Posted by Medden
06. johan d - Menuet in G minor, BWV Anh.115 Bach's ANH minuets sound so simple, they are decidedly not! It takes good coordination and lots of practice to perform like that you did. Well done. Personally I'd have it played at a little more speed, but you did a great job on the dynamics.

Yes, I rather play them a bit slower, but as controlled as I can, as they keep their beauty.

Also thank you ajames, UnderConstruction, barbaram, casinitaly & Michiyo-Fir for your kind words

Last edited by johan d; 11/17/15 06:15 AM.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.3 - Grave

I never heard this piece before, but can hear that it is a composition with incredible musical depth. I’m impressed by your performance of this piece. It must have taken a lot of time and effort to accomplish what you did with this.

02. UnderConstruction - Impromptu Op 90 no 3

Some very good shaping of the melody lines here. Actually this is a very difficult piece to play, because it is crucial to obtain a good balance between the voices here. I think you managed well bringing out the essentials of this beautiful impromptu.

03. earlofmar - Largo in Eb Major

I thought I had a good overview of Chopin’s works, but this one I never heard before. You play with good dynamics, and your piano has a very nice sound. I enjoyed listening to your performance.

04. MarieJ - Passaggio

The mood of this piece is nice and it was very relaxing to listen to your performance. You have made good progress with your playing.

05. PikaPianist - Prelude in B major, Op.11 No.11

Not unexpected this was an excellent performance. I haven’t listened much to Scriabin’s music, but this was a really beautiful piece. Rolled chords or not – you play with confidence and great sensitivity. You are a true artist.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
47. Valencia - Poetic Tone Pictures Op. 3 Nos 1 and 4
Smashing work on these two pieces, Valencia. Really lovely to follow these and good to hear you playing after reading so much about the difficulty you're having with your hands. I hope they're getting better.

12. Riddler (Ed) - Come Sunday
The performance is great here, Ed, but your anecdote adds a touch of something special. I really enjoyed listening to this. Respect!

34. Ganddalf - Barcarolle no.1 - Op 26
Fauré needs an experienced hand, Ganddalf, and you've shown you have that. You've clearly put a lot of time and effort into this piece and come through the other side shining. Great playing.

08. AZ_Astro - Just a Day Away
Very capable and sensitive playing. Also a lovely choice of piece.

20. barbaram - Dream a Little Dream
Glad to hear you're profiting from the GAS recital. You've got the hang of the style alright and informal presentations with family are a great way of building stress free recital experience. How great it is to develop recital skills on music that doesn't demand the precision and discipline of the classics and knowing that they all boost your technique and transfer over.

57. Inlanding - Glen - Cold Wind
That's very moody, Glen, and certainly sent a cold shiver through me! My sister is in Colorado Springs so I'm aware of how the weather can get around there this time of year. These recitals are a good way to be reminded of each other when regular posting isn't feasible. Great playing, Glen, as always, and good to hear you.

Richard
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
My first batch. I'm going backwards through the list, sort of. Some wonderful music here.

50. Kenan - Nocturne no. 20 in C-sharp minor This is great for just just 2 months! Keep up the good work.

51. MaryBee - Sonata No. 1 in F Minor, 1st Mvt. I can't believe it, I am working on this piece now too. It's going to take me awhile. A youthful, energetic Beethoven, out to impress with his first piano sonata. Very well done!

52. TX-Bluebonnet (Linda) - Malaguena Very good for less than a year!

53. scorpio - Winter Twilight Nevue is an interesting compose - well done!

54. ajames - At the Ballet Nice hand movements - very quiet and precise. Which I can tell because you made a video - congrats!

55. briangmoore - Allemande, French Suite #2 Sounds good! My one advice is to be very convincing at the beginning. The rhythm seemed shaky and I couldn't find the beat or phrase for a few measures. A solid beginning will pull the audience along with you right from the start.

56. Moonsh1ne - Preludes Op 28 No 20 and No 4 Nice dynamics on #20. Now, #4 had some rhythmic irregularities - the left hand is written as steady eighth notes. It was too irregular for my taste.

57. Inlanding - Glen - Cold Wind I wish I could improvise that easily - you had me shivering in the cold wind.

58. Carlos88 - Jimbo's Lullaby Jimbo is the elephant, right? Anyway, it sounds like an elephant's lullaby!

59. Lady_Augustina - Stargazing Very interesting Einaudi-like piece. Your mission, should you decide to accept it smile , is to learn those bass clef measures!

60. raubucho - The Highlander You overcame the electronic snafus and did very well. Now, if the software had decided to use bagpipes, that would have fit right in!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
thumb thumb thumb Congratulations to all of you for putting together another great recital. And a special shout out to the first time performers. I won't be commenting on individual performances, but I did listen carefully to each and every one. As usual, it has been a delight to hear the results of all of your work at the bench. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Sam S

56. Moonsh1ne - Preludes Op 28 No 20 and No 4 Nice dynamics on #20. Now, #4 had some rhythmic irregularities - the left hand is written as steady eighth notes. It was too irregular for my taste.

Thank you Sam for your honest comment. I've tried playing it more regular, but it just sounds forced and robotic then (to me). Perhaps as I gain more experience I'll be able to interpret it closer to the score and still musically pleasing.

August Förster 190
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
51. MaryBee - Sonata No. 1 in F Minor, 1st Mvt. I can't believe it, I am working on this piece now too. It's going to take me awhile. A youthful, energetic Beethoven, out to impress with his first piano sonata. Very well done!
It seems we have several of the same pieces that we've worked on over the years. Are you going to do the whole sonata eventually?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
56. Moonshine-Nicely done done. I agree with Sam's comment on your dynamics. I enjoyed both.

Last edited by Peyton; 11/17/15 01:10 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
It seems we have several of the same pieces that we've worked on over the years. Are you going to do the whole sonata eventually?

I confess that I am not in love with classical piano sonatas - I know that is heresy, and I am in danger of being kicked out of the Mozart/Haydn/Beethoven admiration society. I prefer shorter pieces from the Romantic period. And I absolutely hate Alberti bass lines. I love the harmonic structure of this piece though - it must have been very surprising for Beethoven's audience.

I will probably do the slow movement, if I can get past the first movement. Beyond that who knows?

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
Thanks to everyone who commented on my piece, so honored and grateful to be able to participate in my first recital. I also loved listening to everyone, wowza, so great! Not that I am qualified in anyway to make technical comments but there were some pieces I enjoyed so much I want to say something.

52 TX-Bluebonnet (Linda) Malaguena, special shoutout here to a fellow Alfred's player, this was great, lots of energy! I'll be joining you soon I hope in the Alfred's 2 thread.
11 Sams. Loved hearing this played on the different instruments
16 Khopin - beautiful playing
18 dynamobt- Arabesque, listened to this twice, enjoyed so much.
19 peterws - Gorgeous composition
24 greener - chopin waltz I did find myself wanting to get up and dance.
29 pollux - piggies. Hearing this as an instrumental put a whole new spin on the song.
32 Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Nocturne in Eb Major Op. 9 No. 2 - a favorite piece, beautifully played, also listened to this twice
33 blackbird - billm. What can I say, I'm a Beatles fan. This was a wonderful take on this song.
37 stumbler Mr. John Begg's Favourite really enjoyed.
52 Scorpio Winter Twilight. I hope to learn to play this piece (or other David Nevue) piece - your playing was evocative and inspiring.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
S
S
Thx for commenting my first recital Peterws, much appreciated!

I´ve had time to listen to a few of the recitals, and I am very impressed. I think it´s great making these recitals, very inspiring both participating and listening to all of you. I hope to find time to listen more carefully and maybe make some comments on individual pieces too.

Big thanks to all contributors and commentors! smile

Everlasting beginner and piano lover.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
02. UnderConstruction - Impromptu Op 90 no 3
Beautiful piece, executed to high standards! It is especially impressive that you were able to memorize a piece of this length and complexity. I also envy your ability to perform those left hand segments with such confidence and spirit. Well done!

Well done, with a light hearted and relaxed feeling.

09. Pavel.K - Prelude in B Minor, Op. 28 No. 6 - Lento assai
Yes, it certainly has a touch of sadness to it, and you have captured that well in your performance. Well done.

10. Peyton - Gnossienne #3
Ah, I love these Satie pieces - the sense of strangeness and mystery is captivating. Beautifully executed, as always, Peyton.

11. Sam S - Prelude I from WTC I
Ah, Sam, that was so good! Several centuries of music history in one beautiful recording. Of course, I can never listen to this piece without hearing the vocalist (Ave Maria) in my mind. The contrast between instruments reminded me of a section in Bernstein's Mass, where a young boy is singing in the upper registers, with perhaps a bit of strain on the vocal chords, and is then followed by a soprano whose voice is perfectly suited to the register, and the effect is overwhelming and dramatic. Anyway, great idea to include both instruments.

14. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Bluette
Whew! What an exercise in hand independence! You carried it out wonderfully. An intriguing tune, too, I really liked it.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#4. MarieJ- I've never been a huge fan of Einaudi but for some reason picked up the music for I Giorini and now can't stop playing it… go figure. So….. that said, I've never heard this piece before and greatly enjoyed your very lively, sweet playing.

#5- Pika Pianist….. Wow. What to say…. Absolutely beautiful playing. A true gem!! Bravo.

#6. johan d- very, very nice. Bach is always so… refreshing to listen to.

#7. -CarlosCC- …Looks like I'm getting an Einaudi education… Carlos, I would say you "own" that piece. It really moves wonderfully under your fingers.

A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
Some more from me:

31. Alexander Borro - Canzone Popolare (Ludovico Einaudi) Beautifully done. Very graceful but with nice drama- loved your ending

32. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Nocturne in Eb Major Op. 9 No. 2 Very nice, I think you may have lost some dynamic range in your recording, as you mentioned. Still a very enjoyable listen.

33. BillM - Blackbird Wow, two Beatles tunes in this recital. Enjoyed this rendition very much. Maybe a touch too much reverb, otherwise great.

34. Ganddalf - Barcarolle no.1 - Op 26 There is a lot of depth and complexity in this piece, I can only imagine how difficult it is, at least for now- hopefully someday I can find out first hand. I thought you did an excellent job of making music out of it. I really enjoyed it.

35. jotur-Cathy Turner - The Entertainer I love ragtime and this piece is such a classic. I've only played the simplified Alfreds version so far but I hope to try this original sometime soon hopefully. Sounded awesome to me.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - The Young Prince and The Young Princess Very nice piece, well played. Enjoyed it.

37. stumbler/Dave - Mr. John Begg's Favourite Lovely soulful Scottish music. Very nicely done, I can see Mr. John Begg has excellent taste, haha.

38. Piano_Primo_1 - Menuet 116 and Aria 115 Wow you and Sam S. are on the same wavelength here, doubling up with the harpsichord. Having just recently worked on Anh. 116 I know how difficult it is and you did a great job (X2). Really enjoyed Anh. 115 also.

39. Newbert - Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry Very nice, enjoyed your version. Great nostalgic feel.

40. ElaineAllegro - Mazurka Opus 24 No 2 in C major Some of the Chopin Mazurkas are on my "someday" list- I really like them. This was really nice, I really enjoyed it.

41. Snapsh00t3r - Comptine d'un Autre Ete I hear a very sensitive rendition, doesn't sound "mechanical" at all to me. You maintain a good flow, very nicely done.

42. never2old John Harrison - Waltz in a minor (posth) Sounded fantastic- all your hard work has really paid off. Really enjoyed it.

43. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Slippin' Around and Sneakin' Round I really like Martha Meir's stuff, it's always so fun to play. I'm working on the piece right after this in JR&B bk 2, "Wild Honeysuckle Rag" and having a blast. These two pieces sound great, and really go together well, Slippin' and Sneakin' lol. Great job.

44. SwissMS/Doris - Sonata in G Major Opus 79, 2nd Movement Very nice, a challenging piece and you handled it very well, well done.

45. Smurfette - Prelude in C Great job, I know this piece isn't as easy as you make it sound. You must be super-talented to play this well with so little experience!

[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
06. johan d - Menuet in G minor, BWV Anh.115

Considering that you have been playing for less than two years, this performance is very good. And Bach is an excellent choice if you want to develop your technique. I can hear that you are very conscious about phrasing and sounding. It was very nice listening to your performance.

07. CarlosCC - La nascita delle cose segrete

Although I’m a die-hard classical player I absolutely enjoy listening to other kinds of music. This piece had some exiting harmonic turns and I think you play it very well. I didn’t listen to your performance from 2010, but I assume you have developed a lot as a pianist since then.

This is very pleasant music to listen to. Your piano playing is nicely flowing and I really enjoyed listening to this short piece.

09. Pavel.K - Prelude in B Minor, Op. 28 No. 6 - Lento assai

No reason to feel depressed about this performance. I really enjoyed your dynamics and subtle changes in tempo. Very expressive playing!

10. Peyton - Gnossienne #3

This piece is a small gem, and I really enjoyed your performance. Particularly I noticed your flexibility of rhythm and dynamics. Great playing!

11. Sam S - Prelude I from WTC I

I know how challenging it may be for a pianist to play the harpsichord, and I think you managed very well. In fact I preferred the first version, although I mostly use the modern piano myself for Bach playing. I think you managed to play with expression even though you didn’t have the option of playing “piano” and “forte”. There were some subtle changes in tempo that I really liked.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

31. Alexander Borro - Canzone Popolare (Ludovico Einaudi) I like the gentle touch that you give this piece. Nicely phrased and great dynamics.

32. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - Nocturne in Eb Major Op. 9 No. 2 Beautiful rendition of this wonderful piece! I love your gentle use of rubato and dramatic dynamics.

33. BillM - Blackbird I like your take on this piece. It has a sweet sadness to it. Really enjoyed it!

34. Ganddalf - Barcarolle no.1 - Op 26 Gorgeous, expressive playing! I like your description of an evening in Venice. You definitely captured that vision.

35. jotur-Cathy Turner - The Entertainer You really captured the jauntiness of the piece! Excellent job of keeping it rolling along. Really nice playing.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - The Young Prince and The Young Princess Very enjoyable playing. I like the arpeggio runs in the middle. Well done.

37. stumbler/Dave - Mr. John Begg's Favourite Lovely, expressive playing of this Scottish piece. Nice arrangement!

38. Piano_Primo_1 - Menuet 116 and Aria 115 I love 116; it is such a joyful piece. I like your harpsichord treatment of it. The Aria surprised me. Very dramatic.

39. Newbert - Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry Definitely has a big band era feel to it. Nice soulful playing.

40. ElaineAllegro - Mazurka Opus 24 No 2 in C major You really captured the Mazurka feel in this. Lovely playing.

41. Snapsh00t3r - Comptine d'un Autre Ete Very sensitive playing of this beautiful piece. I like your gentle dynamics, and you did a great job subduing the arpeggiated accompaniements.

42. never2old Nice job on the rubato on this waltz. It sounds like you have made great progress on this not so easy piece.

43. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Slippin' Around and Sneakin' Round You definitely have this style down! Really nice treatment of both pieces. The base just sings!

45. Smurfette - Prelude in C This is a great job for such a short time on the bench. You clearly have good musicality.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
12. Riddler (Ed) - Come Sunday

Very enjoyable jazz playing! You really know how to give the right character to this music.

13. Monica K. - Home

Surely you developed a lot since you made your first submission of this piece. It was a very beautiful piece and your performance was very good. I enjoyed listening to your playing.

14. Pianogrlnw (Ellen) - Bluette

This was pretty advanced music. I noticed many nice melodies in the middle voices. You play with elegance and beautiful flow, and it is obvious to me that you are a very skilled pianist.

15. BrianDX - Song Of Kilimanjaro

Many exiting harmonies in this piece. Great contrast between the opening and middle section, and you give play with great precision and still expressively. Thanks for sharing!

16. Khopin - Chopin - Andante Spianato

Although this is an “Andante” it is pretty demanding technically, particularly at the places with long embellishments in the melody line. I think you performed the piece well. If you want to improve further you should consider being a bit more relaxed and flexible with the pulse at the places where the melody line has this enormous number of small notes. Anyhow, I enjoyed your performance.

17. Zoot64 - Allegro First movement from Sonatina in C, Op. 36 No.1

You have reason to be proud of your first recital submission. You play the piece flawlessly and with good dynamics and expressivity. It can’t be done much better than you did it.

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission