2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,352 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Can someone help me decode the Kawai model numbers? I’ve been to the Kawai web site but it doesn’t seem to tell the whole story.

http://www.kawaius.com/grandpianomodels.htm

I’m trying to understand the relationship between the KG,CA,GS and RX models.

From some web searches and looking through the archives it appears that the quality of the KG is above the GM/GE and below the GS/CA, the GS/CA are above the KG but below the RXs. CA is used for Japanese market pianos , and is used GS for American Market. The SK, RX-A and EX are above the rest of the RXs. Am I close so far?

However is it true that the KG-1 and RX-1 and the KG-2 and RX-2 are essentially the same pianos? But the RX-3 and greater represent a step up in quality? Are the KG-3 greater quality as well or are they more on par with the KG-1 and KG-2?

I understand that Kawai also sold different pianos under the same model numbers are well. I have seen KG-6s in two different sizes (6’9” and 7’4”)

Are there any differences between the model numbers of the same size in the CA/GS ? e.g., is a GS-30 and GS-40 the same piano.

Finally I understand the final letter in some of the Kawai models represents a rough age range of some of the models, except when it is E or S. Then E means bright voicing and S means mellow.

Do the first 3 editions of the Larry Fine book have any more details? It seems like the relationships are complicated enough, that someone had to write them down somewhere.

Hopelessly confused in the land of Kawai.

Dave

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dave,

You are not as confused as you might think. You have things pretty much right.

The only problem is that you are comparing different pianos from Kawai that were made at different times. Comparing them as if they were all being made at the same time is not really valid. When considering them fpr purchased as a used piano they are simply different, not necessarily better or worse.

From 1970 through 1995 Kawai went through changes in philosophy in what style of piano they wanted to make. The basic structure of the pianos, the types of soundboards, the action designs and materials, the hammer types - all were changed. With each progressive change, the model designations were changed - for instance, the KG-C series became the KG-D series when the actions were changed (amongst other things). The D series became the E series when the actions were changed again, the hammers were made harder, and the scales and plates were changed. The KG-2S was a limited model that was actually a throwback to the KG-2D, for those dealers who wanted to have the older style tone of the D model. It was only made in the KG-2 size. The KG-A series reflected more subtle changes to the design, but the tone was made a little softer and sweeter than the E series.

The RX pianos were introduced in 1995, and reflect the incorporation of many of the developments made in the EX piano from 1980 through the early 90s. The Kawai web site has a section called the "RX Guide to Excellence" which gives an overview of the differences in the design, mainly as compared to Kawai's older style of construction. Even though the KG-1 and KG-2 were the same size and the string scales are very close, the piano designs were changed dramatically.

Before the RX pianos were introduced, there were some limited production models sold which were predecessors to the RX models. The R-0 was the predecessor to the RX-3, and the R-1 was the predecessor to the RX-5. The R-2 was never sold in quantities, but I have seen one or two.

The 6'6" RX-A was built in Kawai's R&D laboratory along side the EX pianos, and was completely hand made like the EX. The design was incorporated into the RX-5, so the RX-A was discontinued in 1994.

The GS models (which were sold in all parts of the world) were intended to be bigger, brighter and more powerful sounding pianos. In that sense, they were considered a notch above the KG models. The CA models were of the same design as the GS, were sold mainly in Japan and Europe, but also were sold new in the US through certain dealers. I have never heard what was different between the CA and GS models, but I believe the CA models were slightly less expensive.

The Shigeru Kawai pianos follow the same designs as the RX pianos, but they are hand made in very limited quantities with very special materials and methods. When played side by side with the RX pianos, they illustrate very well the difference between very high quality production pianos, and the highest quality hand made pianos of the same designs.

Please, please don't even ask about Kawai upright models - I won't be able to answer. I once attempted to make a chart of all of the upright models over time, and gave it up - the company simply changes the upright models too often to keep track of all the models made in the past 30 years.

When comparing used pianos, it really is best to forget the position in the line and just consider the size and listen to the individual piano. The condition of the piano and the amount of use and care it has received really are much more important than what "series" it was or where it was in the model line at that time. Personally I feel strongly that specifications should never be used to choose a new piano, but this is even more true of older pianos.

Don Mannino RPT
Kawai America

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Don, I know I've said this before, but you are a real credit to our industry. Thank you...and Happy New Year.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

OP Offline
Don,

Thanks for your detailed response. I promise not to ask about uprights.

I have played a couple of KG-2 pianos and like them, but I’m open to something a little bigger, but definitely less than 7’. My choices would seem to be a KG (3,5,newer 6), CA/GS (30,40,50,60) or RX (3,5). I was hoping to narrow the search down a little, the whole used buying thing can be time consuming, but it sounds like all of these models would be fine. Now it seems like more of a matter of finding the individual instrument I like.

Thank you very much for your help.

Dave

T
T
I "ditto" what Steve Cohen just said - I think Don has just exemplified what this forum is all about. Thank you Don, for your informative post and Thank You FRANK, for the PF!!!

Happy (and safe) New Year to all! thumb

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What TomFl said about what Steve said about what Don said.

Petrov I,II,III,IV,V .... they're numbered backwards maybe, but there's (literally) only a handful. My "piano model" worksheet is a real MESS in the many-modeled Kawai column (Yamaha not much clearer) and although I haven't read this thread thoroughly yet, after I have a good nights sleep, find my glasses and medication, I think I'll be able to straighten that mess out a little bit. smile

Thanks for the clarification, Don!

Bob

P
P
@Don,

since you strongly advise to evaluate the individual instruments:

Are there any particular parts or features of used Kawai Grand Pianos that you would advise to check when looking for a used instrument? If it depends on the particular series I'd restrict this question to the KG-3, GS-30/40 and R-0.

V
V
You may also want to distinguish between the pre- and post-2005 RX models, since that's when the new "Millennium III" action was introduced.

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by vancamp
You may also want to distinguish between the pre- and post-2005 RX models, since that's when the new "Millennium III" action was introduced.

This thread dates from 2004, but you're right it would be interesting to update it, and also include the GL series pianos and how they fit into the matrix.

YAMAHA Artist
P
P
Originally Posted by joe80
Originally Posted by vancamp

This thread dates from 2004, but you're right it would be interesting to update it, and also include the GL series pianos and how they fit into the matrix.

I would appreciate also this extension!

I looked at a GS-30 lately and while it seemed very nice to me I cannot judge at all on the technical state. Of course I'll have to take a tech with me anyhow, but having a little more background myself would make me feel more confident.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission