Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
128 registered members (Animisha, barbaram, ando, 90125, Beowulf, Alex C, Amedeus, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1,374 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: nsetiap] #2476378
11/01/15 09:07 PM
11/01/15 09:07 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,625
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,625
Hey, James. The data came from dealer site, in this case KraftMusic. Threw it in Excel and did a screen grab. It speaks nothing of how the keyboards sound of course. The quality of the samples and programming, the choice of components (amps, speakers, etc.), build quality. You'd really need to set the two keyboards down next to each other and play for an hour or two. But that's become impossible for many with the demise of shops and their ability to stock their showrooms.

You're familiar with my needs by now, I'd gather. Still weighting (that's a pun) for Kawai to enter the light weight game with a legit stage piano that doesn't sacrifice anything but excess pounds. Nord is too expensive and I don't care for their choice in DP actions, same problem with Kurzweil. Yamaha CP4 is over $2k as well and still 38.5lbs. I think Kawai can do this - if you feel there's a market for it of course.




(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: nsetiap] #2476379
11/01/15 09:15 PM
11/01/15 09:15 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 14,510
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 14,510
Hamamatsu, Japan
Ah, I see thanks for the confirmation.

Yes, specs really do tell just one side of the story. As you say, the only way to assess these instruments properly is to play-test them both, ideally back-to-back.

I gather that the Sam Ash in NYC does have an ES8 on the floor, and I expect they will have a PX-560 available shortly too...if not already (Mike?).

Cheers,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: ElmerJFudd] #2476381
11/01/15 09:20 PM
11/01/15 09:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,803
A
anotherscott Offline
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
A

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,803
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
CP4 is over $2k as well and still 38.5lbs.

CP40 is cheaper and lighter ($1399, 36 lbs). Even the Kawai ES100 is 33 lbs. I think the only decent action in a board lighter than these is probably Casio.

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: dmd] #2476382
11/01/15 09:37 PM
11/01/15 09:37 PM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 595
F
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member
Fer De Armas  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 595
Ok dmd, totally agree with you and that's the attitude my friend ... enjoy your ES7 ! Thanks for your response and your contribution to this topic!...

(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards & Synthesizers
Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: Kawai James] #2476388
11/01/15 09:48 PM
11/01/15 09:48 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,070
E
emenelton Offline
1000 Post Club Member
emenelton  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,070
Originally Posted by Kawai James


@tnsettlemo, regarding your 'fudged' comment,

@emenelton, as Fer correctly notes, the ES8 shares the same 'HI-XL' sound specification as the MP7, but also offers the new Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and SK-5 samples that have up until now only been available on the CA97/CA67 instruments.

x


Kawai James, thank- you for emphasizing that fact.

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2476396
11/01/15 10:04 PM
11/01/15 10:04 PM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 595
F
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member
Fer De Armas  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 595
Ok Marko in Boston, thanks for your honest answer and i congratulate you because not everyone can afford to have the top line of each of the best brands in digital pianos. Let me say that and I share the fact that more important than the action itself, is key to sound connection, which allows for greater expressiveness and is what has created that connection with your ES7, which I perfectly understand because the same thing happens with my MP7, and is something that Kawai has done very well with these DP that share this RH2 action. Is so wonderful the dynamics that can be achieved with this action... well basically i would like to know which keys feel more organic, less plastic and more real, which is heavier and which is the lightest, fast rebound and key repetition, quicker or sluggish, spongy or flat feel... Finally, if key actions is on par in all three boards, so tell me in terms of sound, dynamic and cut in the mix sound, which is your favorite?... Thanks again for your contribution to this interesting topic!

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: anotherscott] #2476400
11/01/15 10:19 PM
11/01/15 10:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 595
F
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member
Fer De Armas  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 595
I share your opinion... and not everything can be had at the same time without sacrificing something, because usually the best key actions are heavy, but we must recognize the great work has done by Casio in the low-end segment with boards with very good actions for the price. I think that key action in ES100 is on par in that in Yamaha CP40, what do you think about it?

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: Fer De Armas] #2476494
11/02/15 09:20 AM
11/02/15 09:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,429
Boston, Massachusetts
M
Marko in Boston Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Marko in Boston  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,429
Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Fer De Armas
Ok Marko in Boston, thanks for your honest answer and i congratulate you because not everyone can afford to have the top line of each of the best brands in digital pianos. Let me say that and I share the fact that more important than the action itself, is key to sound connection, which allows for greater expressiveness and is what has created that connection with your ES7, which I perfectly understand because the same thing happens with my MP7, and is something that Kawai has done very well with these DP that share this RH2 action. Is so wonderful the dynamics that can be achieved with this action... well basically i would like to know which keys feel more organic, less plastic and more real, which is heavier and which is the lightest, fast rebound and key repetition, quicker or sluggish, spongy or flat feel... Finally, if key actions is on par in all three boards, so tell me in terms of sound, dynamic and cut in the mix sound, which is your favorite?... Thanks again for your contribution to this interesting topic!


In all fairness to the OP we need to stay on topic "Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8." I would be getting way OT even more than I already have if I get into action comparison with CP4 vs RD800 vs ES7. I will PM you with some answers to your questions.


KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA
Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: nsetiap] #2476500
11/02/15 10:03 AM
11/02/15 10:03 AM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 457
Between Chicago and NJ, USA
Mike_Martin Offline
Full Member
Mike_Martin  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 457
Between Chicago and NJ, USA
These are two completely different instruments at two very different price points.

The PX-560 has a range of instrument sounds that is far different and expansive than the ES8. The PX-560 not only has great pianos, electric pianos and more but a range of synths and textures that are only rivaled by the PX-5S. This sound (on the PX-5S) is something that can be done easily on the PX-560 as an example:

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/privia-pro-px-5s-intro

Not to mention the fact that the PX-560 is half the weight, has drum patterns, accompaniment, sequencing features and more.


-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2476537
11/02/15 12:05 PM
11/02/15 12:05 PM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 595
F
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member
Fer De Armas  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 595
Ok, I believe that this is a very fair proposal my friend, I will be one of the first to appreciate this topic when you open it, and so many people will know a little more about these three wonderful digital pianos, the top of the line of the three largest corporations in DP today, thank you very much...

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: Mike_Martin] #2476542
11/02/15 12:11 PM
11/02/15 12:11 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,108
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,108
Europe
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
These are two completely different instruments at two very different price points.

May I note that at least in Europe the price difference between ES8 and PX-560 is just 20 %? So it is totally possible to get an ES8 for almost the PX-560 price through some bargaining.

I think with another 20 % off in Europe, the new Privia Series would sell way better.


Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7605
Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: Mike_Martin] #2476545
11/02/15 12:21 PM
11/02/15 12:21 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 41
N
nsetiap Offline OP
Full Member
nsetiap  Offline OP
Full Member
N

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
These are two completely different instruments at two very different price points.

The PX-560 has a range of instrument sounds that is far different and expansive than the ES8. The PX-560 not only has great pianos, electric pianos and more but a range of synths and textures that are only rivaled by the PX-5S. This sound (on the PX-5S) is something that can be done easily on the PX-560 as an example:

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/privia-pro-px-5s-intro

Not to mention the fact that the PX-560 is half the weight, has drum patterns, accompaniment, sequencing features and more.


Yes, I'm aware of that. I probably has to be more clear in what I really wanted to know. Though these 2 may well be a completely 2 different instrument, what I want to know is, for lack of a better term, the "core function" of a DP between the two, and by "core function" I mean a subjective comparison of:
1. action
2. sound
3. speaker sound
4. rhythm section. I don't play with this very often but still interested to know especially because both instrument has this feature and, as I mentioned on previous post, I tried Roland FP-80, which from price stand-point is the closest to ES7 and I think ES7 rhythm section is superior.

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: Mike_Martin] #2476620
11/02/15 04:21 PM
11/02/15 04:21 PM
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 145
T
tnsettlemo Offline
Full Member
tnsettlemo  Offline
Full Member
T

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 145
Just got the white furniture stand with pedal board today for my px560 and I do believe the quality of the stand is better than the one Yamaha makes for my p255. Congrats, Casio!!!

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: JoeT] #2476693
11/02/15 07:14 PM
11/02/15 07:14 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 14,510
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 14,510
Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by JoeT
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
These are two completely different instruments at two very different price points.

May I note that at least in Europe the price difference between ES8 and PX-560 is just 20 %? So it is totally possible to get an ES8 for almost the PX-560 price through some bargaining.


Yes, that's true, however I gather that the OP is based in North America, where the two instruments occupy different price points, as Mike notes.

Cheers,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: Mike_Martin] #2476697
11/02/15 07:33 PM
11/02/15 07:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 14,510
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 14,510
Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
These are two completely different instruments at two very different price points.


I'd say there are similarities and differences. Similar in the respect that both instruments are portable DPs with 88 weighted keys and built-in speakers, yet different in that the PX-560 offers a broader range of workstation-like features (touchscreen, sequencer, larger sound selection), while the ES8 is arguably geared more towards piano playing.

Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Not to mention the fact that the PX-560 is half the weight, has drum patterns, accompaniment, sequencing features and more.


Note that the ES8 also features drum patterns/accompaniments, although lacks the ability to create user material and other sequencer functions found on the PX-560. Ah, the PX-560 also wins on weight, although this is generally true of all Privia boards when compared with other manufacturer's instruments.

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: nsetiap] #2476719
11/02/15 09:50 PM
11/02/15 09:50 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,625
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,625
Quote
Ah, the PX-560 also wins on weight, although this is generally true of all Privia boards when compared with other manufacturer's instruments.



For how much longer, James? Might we see a light weight Kawai with pro stage piano audio i/o this January in Anaheim, CA?

Hows that PX-5S rev coming along, Mike?

wink



Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: ElmerJFudd] #2476723
11/02/15 10:05 PM
11/02/15 10:05 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,429
Boston, Massachusetts
M
Marko in Boston Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Marko in Boston  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,429
Boston, Massachusetts
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd

For how much longer, James? Might we see a light weight Kawai with pro stage piano audio i/o this January in Anaheim, CA?

Hows that PX-5S rev coming along, Mike?

wink




You can't win James. The minute Kawai makes any high-end board light weight with plastic will automatically be deemed cheap and flimsy. As you know Roland and Yamaha has already taken their knocks with new shell designs to compensate lighter weight.

Mike, PX-5S is near perfect. Just add half damper, call it PX-6S and shut everyone up.


KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA
Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: Marko in Boston] #2476724
11/02/15 10:14 PM
11/02/15 10:14 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,803
A
anotherscott Offline
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
A

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,803
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Mike, PX-5S is near perfect. Just add half damper, call it PX-6S and shut everyone up.

...and expresion pedal, and more intuitive operation (probably via their 360/560 touchscreen)

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: nsetiap] #2476731
11/02/15 11:09 PM
11/02/15 11:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,625
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,625
^^^^
The Casio touch screen UI was a major move on their part and I would expect we'll see it on most of their new keyboards going forward... at least in the upper part of the Privia range - and it's already on the new CGP. So half damper, expression pedal input, and the touch screen UI and we've got a PX-6S (of course a hot new piano library with longer samples and and more velocity layers is always a bonus).

Re: Casio PX-560 vs Kawai ES8 [Re: nsetiap] #2477293
11/04/15 06:47 PM
11/04/15 06:47 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 41
N
nsetiap Offline OP
Full Member
nsetiap  Offline OP
Full Member
N

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 41
In case anyone interested to read recent review for both DP by Mixdown Magazine:
Kawai ES8: http://www.mixdownmag.com.au/kawai-es8-digital-piano
Casio Privia including PX-560: http://www.mixdownmag.com.au/casio-privia-pro-series-keyboards

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fazioli Changes Over the Years
by Sleepingtiger. 01/22/19 11:07 AM
p515/clp685 vs cp88
by Jitin. 01/22/19 10:16 AM
Twinkle or Moonlight?
by MrsD. 01/22/19 04:16 AM
My LTCL Repetiore
by Jaguarinoff. 01/22/19 03:31 AM
Hailun & Room Size
by Katie-eights. 01/21/19 09:52 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,725
Posts2,784,650
Members92,193
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2