2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (AndreaH, bwv872, BillS728, accordeur, 36251, Bruce In Philly, Charles Cohen, 13 invisible), 613 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
He was in a level 1 method book when he came to me with no supplemental music. In a year, I've moved him to level 3, with a constant stream of great music (mostly of his choosing from pieces I bring in, or independent requests of his). The reason for this latest return is the song is "sad." They picked several "sad" songs in the past for him to learn.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

The real problem is that you're a piano teacher, and what these folks need is a marriage counselor.

At some point, it may be better for all concerned if you tell them that, and that you can't give your student what he deserves from a teacher under these circumstances.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

The real problem is that you're a piano teacher, and what these folks need is a marriage counselor.

At some point, it may be better for all concerned if you tell them that, and that you can't give your student what he deserves from a teacher under these circumstances.

smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Right on! thumb

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
He was in a level 1 method book when he came to me with no supplemental music. In a year, I've moved him to level 3, with a constant stream of great music (mostly of his choosing from pieces I bring in, or independent requests of his). The reason for this latest return is the song is "sad." They picked several "sad" songs in the past for him to learn.

Thing is, he's telling you he likes the pieces you've given him. So what is the problem with them? What experience do these parents have that they have a right to tell you that's not a good piece for him?

I would call them out on this. Not just accept their statement that he should play something "not sad". I was say, "Oh? Why is that?" Then they may respond with something along the lines of "he always plays sad songs, we think he should do something happy."

Then you can respond with something like, "I understand you want him to play a variety of expressions. However, I feel this piece is what he is most capable of at this point because it highlights his ability to bring out a beautiful melody, while we can work on his LH arpeggio accompaniment and legato pedaling. These are skills he needs to be building on right now. The piece you've selected requires him to play fast octaves and polyrhythms that he has not yet learned, and there is no way he will master these skills in the time we have to prepare for the recital. I will make note of your choice for the future when he has those skills necessary to play this piece, and we will start working toward those particular skills after the recital."

Sometimes you just have to bombard them with things you know they won't understand - albeit legit reasons - so that they know YOU are the expert and they are not.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Morodiene, thanks for the reply. They have no musical background or experience. The parents are increasingly pushy lately, and I suspect it is because their friend's son has a teacher who must be handling things differently. I've already told the mom I can refer her to a teacher who is more competition oriented, (and now, to add to the list: a teacher who allows you to select the music) and she refused, saying that she only wants him to play in a different setting. I have enough experience and knowledge of our area to know that the venue I use is the best in the area. I have noticed the student becoming more arrogant and have spoken to him about it at his last lesson. It is becoming a stressful experience lately.

I'm confused. Has the dad (or the mom) ever sat down with you to talk about educational strategy? Why are they dinging this particular piece or that particular piece? What's the overall goal here for them? Are there any reasons why they are inserting themselves into the selection process? It sounds to me like there would be a lot of mileage in having a formal conference with everyone all there together. The current process sounds way to piecemeal (pun intended) or even passive aggressive.

On the other hand, if you have already decided that you cannot work with them, then just let the student go.

I used to have some discussions with my son's first teacher about what she was assigning. I wanted to understand HER goals and HER expectations. I don't find that particularly problematic. I don't recall ever rejecting any of her choices, but I wanted to know what she was thinking. I don't really know why a parent would reject the teacher's suggestions unless mom/dad had very different goals or expectations than the teacher. And if that's the case, the parents should express their views and everyone should then decide if the relationship will work. At least that would be the open and straightforward way of handling things.

As the kid got older, I used to make some suggestions myself. Sometimes the teacher liked them and integrated them, and sometimes not. If you have open lines of communication, that works fine. Over the summer, when she was away, I used to teach him 2-3 pieces myself, and they had to be things he thought were cool. Sometimes the teacher helped him finish/refine those pieces in the fall. I used the summer to add at least one new challenge, and really good things happened. A parent talking about music isn't just poison. But parents rejecting your advice certainly can be.

M
M
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
Morodiene, thanks for the reply. They have no musical background or experience. The parents are increasingly pushy lately, and I suspect it is because their friend's son has a teacher who must be handling things differently. I've already told the mom I can refer her to a teacher who is more competition oriented, (and now, to add to the list: a teacher who allows you to select the music) and she refused, saying that she only wants him to play in a different setting. I have enough experience and knowledge of our area to know that the venue I use is the best in the area. I have noticed the student becoming more arrogant and have spoken to him about it at his last lesson. It is becoming a stressful experience lately.

The parents' lack of respect for you is being picked up by the kid. Time to cut ties. It is clear that you are not the right teacher for them. Give them a list of other teachers that they can contact and 2 week's notice, or until the end of November if they pay monthly.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
I know it's a lot easier for some of us to say ditch this family when it's not us personally involved. I know it's possible you may have other conflicting reasons of not wanting to lose a student. I get it. So if you want to give it one last shot of drawing a line with them, and being more authoratative, then by all means go ahead and try that.

Otherwise, I'll say it again-
"Oh, I'm soooo sorry, something has just come up and I have to rearrange my teaching schedule going forward. And I'm sorry, I tried my best, but I couldn't fit you into my new schedule. Good Luck!!!"

Buh-BYE now!

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
blueston, I have no reason to keep this family. The student has ability, but I am used to investing much of my time and interest in students with and without ability, to have them move away, or stop lessons (or perhaps find another teacher?). It is no longer such a personal issue for me to let a student go. Their spots will be filled quickly. The parents are becoming increasingly outspoken inn many areas, yet don't want to find another teacher, however, since they didn't respond to my last message, they may be looking elsewhere.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

I think was has occurred is that Mom and I spoke about the student making decisions to learn pieces, then returning them. We agreed that he should stand by his decisions. She seemed completely on board. I sense that Dad didn't like this recital piece, so Mom told Dad to message me.

One thought: As I understand, originally this child had a different teacher, and with that teacher there were no choices. There was the method book, and lockstep following of whatever was in there. Then they came to you, and they had apparent absolute freedom. They don't know what to do with that. You have to provide guidelines and create some limitations. You know what is acceptable and what is not, and how you expect this freedom of choice to be exercised. But do they?

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
If you prefer to end your relationship with this family, that's up to you. But it would be unfortunate that a boy gets dumped from your good teaching just because his parents tend to meddle.

I don't think they should have any say in your repertoire choices at all. That should remain between you and this young fellow.

In the bigger picture, it's an interesting problem: more often parents don't have much interest in their kids' piano lessons.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
keystring, how am I giving them absolute freedom if I play a few pieces for the student to choose from, and he makes a selection - he is extremely enthusiastic about the piece he selects. His freedom is limited by the pieces I have selected and brought in for him to choose from. I've never discussed or accepted pieces they found on the internet. It seems that the pieces he wants to learn have tutorials online. I suspect that the piece for the recital was rejected because there was no tutorial. Their reason "it is too sad" is bogus, since the piece the want him to learn is equally "sad" as are other pieces they asked if he could learn.

From your description of them, these people are musical illiterates and a p-i-t-a. Move on.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
From your description of them, these people are musical illiterates and a p-i-t-a. Move on.

They certainly are becoming P-I-T-A's. eek
To summarize why they are rejecting pieces: religious reasons, too sad, or no reason provided. I sense that the real reason is they want him to learn songs that he can find in tutorials online. The "sad" excuse is bogus as I said above. Other pieces he has learned were in minor keys, which I assume they are labeling as "sad."

Getting more of the picture, yes, PITA sums it up, and I don't mean a flat round bread with an air pocket in the middle.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by keystring
Getting more of the picture, yes, PITA sums it up, and I don't mean a flat round bread with an air pocket in the middle.

smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,234
Posts3,194,489
Members105,373
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission