Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
122 registered members (achoo42, AYS, 604Rakuda, ando, AaronSF, Bagong, AnnInMiami, anotherscott, 30 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: TwelfthRoot2] #2475010
10/28/15 06:35 PM
10/28/15 06:35 PM
USA
S
Scout Offline
Scout  Offline
S

USA
Turning on a recorder guarantees 100% that my most impressive piano moments will not happen that day. I don't fret about the stagefright much anymore, and just the piano with me is much more than enough, but now and then ...

1989 Baldwin L

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: TwelfthRoot2] #2475174
10/29/15 08:33 AM
10/29/15 08:33 AM
Alberta
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
1RC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alberta
Originally Posted by TwelfthRoot2
God, I know exactly what you mean! Something about being recorded or watched changes everything. One day I think I'll tackle this problem, but I have no desire (or need) to do that now.

This reminds me, if one day you have the desire, about a time when I made it a part of my practice to record tunes after I'd learned them. The first few were agonizing and took days for me to get a take that didn't have too many flubs and still had a sense of flow. Then I scaled back my ambitions and recorded some simpler pieces which became a more enjoyable process and I was able to focus less on just getting all the notes and more on making it expressive. I found it a great a confidence booster and a bit of a reality check on what my level of playing actually was.

One day my girlfriend had her ipod on shuffle and my ears perked up at some classical music. "What was that doing on her playlist? Oh it sounds like some Bach. Oh that's me playing! Hey that's actually not half bad, haha!". It's kind of nice to have a little collection of recordings after a while, if only for personal reflection.

Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: ghosthand] #2475180
10/29/15 08:51 AM
10/29/15 08:51 AM
Alberta
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
1RC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alberta
I enjoyed your story Ghosthand - a great triumph!

Originally Posted by ghosthand
Personally: 6 months ago when I played in a very small recital arranged by my piano teacher. I had not performed in 30 years and all I had were some painful memories of terrible stage fright and humiliating failures when my hands trembled and the "music" I produced was a total disaster.

I've had my share of embarrassing performances and it is enough to keep one away from the stage for years! I believe responsible teachers should do all they can to avoid their students having these experiences.

Knowing how painful that is, I try and walk a student through the experience of going up on a stage and simulate the experience a few times (the mental practice). The unfamiliarity, the unexpected (oh there's a light on me and I can't see the audience, this chair feels weird), announcing yourself, knowing your goal is to play through once, feeling the silence, remember the goal is also to share some wonderful music and how great it will feel to accomplish this, then the dive!

...and it feels great to do this work and then see a student have a successful performance right off the bat laugh

Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: Gould] #2475229
10/29/15 11:18 AM
10/29/15 11:18 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Brahms 2.

[Linked Image]

SRF
Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: 1RC] #2475259
10/29/15 12:51 PM
10/29/15 12:51 PM
California
P
phantomFive Offline
3000 Post Club Member
phantomFive  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P

California
Originally Posted by 1RC
One day my girlfriend had her ipod on shuffle and my ears perked up at some classical music. "What was that doing on her playlist? Oh it sounds like some Bach. Oh that's me playing! Hey that's actually not half bad, haha!". It's kind of nice to have a little collection of recordings after a while, if only for personal reflection.

Sometimes when I am recording, all I can hear are bad things (because that's what I'm listening for, to try to improve them). Soon I can get quite depressed and think I'm the worst pianist in the world.

Then I listen to it a month or so later with fresh ears and think, "Oh, that wasn't so bad."

Poetry is rhythm
Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: Gould] #2475388
10/29/15 08:34 PM
10/29/15 08:34 PM
Denver
M
musiccr8r Offline
musiccr8r  Offline
M

Denver
Any accompanists want to chime in? Some of the most memorable things for me are not the things I slaved over that went well, but the "saves" that just flew by unnoticed to anyone but me and the performer. "There came a wind like a bugle".... If someone had told me to plan on dropping a couple beats out of that on the fly due to a slightly early entrance, I would have been very concerned. But in the moment....was so glad I'd memorized the page turn, and beyond, and knew exactly where I should go. smile

Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: Gould] #2475397
10/29/15 09:14 PM
10/29/15 09:14 PM
Tempe, Arizona
AZ_Astro Offline
500 Post Club Member
AZ_Astro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tempe, Arizona
Playing an 8-note C-major scale and realizing that both hands are in complete sync, the scale is uniform and even, and the tone is pure.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: musiccr8r] #2475435
10/30/15 12:26 AM
10/30/15 12:26 AM
Washington, DC
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
SiFi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Washington, DC
Originally Posted by musiccr8r
Any accompanists want to chime in? Some of the most memorable things for me are not the things I slaved over that went well, but the "saves" that just flew by unnoticed to anyone but me and the performer. "There came a wind like a bugle".... If someone had told me to plan on dropping a couple beats out of that on the fly due to a slightly early entrance, I would have been very concerned. But in the moment....was so glad I'd memorized the page turn, and beyond, and knew exactly where I should go. smile

Not quite to your point, but anyway. I signed on to do a recital with a cellist named Jane Salmon a long time ago. One of the works was the Debussy cello sonata. I remember the first rehearsal. She performed, I tried to keep up, sometimes successfully. 2nd rehearsal I was prepared. Better, but not perfect. Eventually we did the recital. I was OK, she was brilliant, and several people said it was the best performance they had ever heard. Gotta love ensemble performing - their casa becomes your casa, so it'e good if they're good.

SRF
Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: musiccr8r] #2475451
10/30/15 02:21 AM
10/30/15 02:21 AM
San Jose, CA
J
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jeffreyjones  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by musiccr8r

My college conducting teacher invited me to a workshop she was doing in Santa Cruz County. She selected a Brahms waltz for piano and choir. The only hitch was that it was actually written for piano, four hands! She told me to play just the lower part. I proceeded to sight-read from all four staves and hardly missed a note.. just a couple of the octave doublings that were physically impossible.

I had been the accompanist several times in her conducting class, but it was only at that point that she realized how good of a sight reader I actually was. After the workshop, she hired me to be the accompanist for her children's choir. I stayed with them for 9 years and learned far more about musicianship than I ever had before.

Re: What are your "most impressive" piano moments? [Re: Gould] #2475559
10/30/15 11:40 AM
10/30/15 11:40 AM
Pennsylvania
C
Cheeto717 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Cheeto717  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

Pennsylvania
Oh jeez, I have so many accompanying stories. Especially in the musical theater field where everything seems so half-assed all the time. It was not unusual for me to get music for an entire concert 2 or 3 days before. There were even times where I had to sight read at actual performances. Don't get me wrong, it's not sight reading Debussy but it was still stressful.

Didn't get paid nearly enough for that stuff...

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A YouTube Channel That Has Really Helped Me
by writebynight. 08/18/19 05:31 PM
Repertoire for Warm Up
by cmb13. 08/18/19 04:11 PM
Fallboard not as slow as it used to be
by doremi. 08/18/19 03:55 PM
A Theoretical MIDI Question (or Two....)
by newbert. 08/18/19 03:28 PM
Best cheapest hydraulic piano bench
by Abdol. 08/18/19 03:00 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,610
Posts2,860,151
Members94,184
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission