2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (accordeur, A. Lucato, 36251, Beemer, ambrozy, AWilley, Animisha, 18 invisible), 763 guests, and 528 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chopin - Etude C minor op. 25 no 12
#2472792 10/22/15 01:20 AM
V
vevurka Offline OP
OP Offline
V
[video:youtube]yfcyST7q7BQ[/video]

It's me playing Etude op. 25 no 12 by Chopin. I did this recording my last day on a ship on a backstage, it was at 4am (I was only allowed to practice there at night). Unfortunately somebody took piano bench from there that day, so my chair was moving wink. It was pretty rocky that day, so I didn't unstrap the piano. Of course like every piano on a ship this was also out of tune, sorry for that. Just want to share, because it's a nice memory for me of those sleepless nights.

Re: Chopin - Etude C minor op. 25 no 12
vevurka #2473116 10/22/15 11:46 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I love this!!

So funny, because I'm practicing the same piece this afternoon and got totally distracted by a cat. My son has video that he's editing as we speak.

Vevurka, this is wonderful. Your interpretation is so in tune with mine that I thought I was listening to myself. I'll post something for comparison tomorrow.

Meanwhile, well done. Beautiful interpretation. Masterful realization.

Simon Finlow

SRF
vevurka #2473127 10/23/15 12:47 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
It must be great fun to play the Ocean Etude on the ocean !!!

It was a little unnerving to watch your chair shift position during the performance. smile

Good job !! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
vevurka #2473243 10/23/15 10:47 AM
I
I
Good job.

If I were, I'd be careful with not making the loud bits sound too forced. I think you could have even smaller quiet sounds.

For me, I think some bits do sound ever so slightly unrhythmical and I think you must be careful because your thumb really sticks out some times.

SiFi #2473416 10/23/15 11:39 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi
Vevurka, this is wonderful. . . . I'll post something for comparison tomorrow.

OK, I know I promised, but I'm doing this with a bit of trepidation. I did three takes this afternoon. This is the third, but yet it's the one with mistakes. The reason I'm posting it - rather than either of the others - is that it's more "in tune" with my vision of this piece and, not entirely coincidentally, quite close to your interpretation, though your performance, if I may say so, is much better and delivered under much more difficult circumstances. But at least we both were working with out-of-tune pianos! BTW, I have the biggest trouble with the first couple of bars. What's your biggest challenge in this piece? (I'm thinking there are none!)

Anyway, here you go. Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your post but you look like someone who doesn't mind sharing.

SRF
SiFi #2473420 10/24/15 12:29 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good lord, I just noticed the middle finger thing on the last chord - both of us!

SRF
SiFi #2473454 10/24/15 03:44 AM
V
vevurka Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks Carey, SiFi, Incongruous for your comments.

Originally Posted by Carey
It was a little unnerving to watch your chair shift position during the performance.

Yeah, when I was playing last page I thought that I might fall down, it was really hard to keep my balance.

Originally Posted by Incongruous

If I were, I'd be careful with not making the loud bits sound too forced. I think you could have even smaller quiet sounds.

For me, I think some bits do sound ever so slightly unrhythmical and I think you must be careful because your thumb really sticks out some times.

Yeah, I still didn't grow up from playing fast and loud phase, but working on it. Too much rubato I can fix, but what do you mean by "thumb really sticks out sometimes"?

OK, I know I promised, but I'm doing this with a bit of trepidation. I did three takes this afternoon. This is the third, but yet it's the one with mistakes. The reason I'm posting it - rather than either of the others - is that it's more "in tune" with my vision of this piece and, not entirely coincidentally, quite close to your interpretation, though your performance, if I may say so, is much better and delivered under much more difficult circumstances. But at least we both were working with out-of-tune pianos! BTW, I have the biggest trouble with the first couple of bars. What's your biggest challenge in this piece? (I'm thinking there are none!)

Nice playing, but I think you sometimes loose the melody. BTW there are some Cortot exercises which are great for this etude, they can help you fix accuracy.

Biggest challenge for me in this piece for me is building climax, because I'm impatient and like to play forte. And in this piece it's really easy to play forte, but not so easy to play piano.

Good lord, I just noticed the middle finger thing on the last chord - both of us!

I do it on purpose, don't know about you. So many times my third finger slipped on b flat key and it is so sad to finish this etude in C7. Really small hands are really disadvantage in this piece.

vevurka #2473467 10/24/15 05:16 AM
I
I
When you change hand positions from 5 to 1 your thumb is sometimes too loud which makes your playing sound unrhythmical because all the times the thumb is needed is on a weak beat.

Incongruous #2473468 10/24/15 05:18 AM
V
vevurka Offline OP
OP Offline
V

Oh, yes, you're right. I'll practice it more in fourths, that should fix the problem quickly.

vevurka #2473470 10/24/15 05:24 AM
I
I
Originally Posted by vevurka

Oh, yes, you're right. I'll practice it more in fourths, that should fix the problem quickly.

It's more a matter of listening to yourself, looking at your hands making sure your fingers aren't doing excessive movements and really feeling it in four.

vevurka #2473627 10/24/15 01:28 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Carey, SiFi, Incongruous for your comments.

. . .
Nice playing, but I think you sometimes loose the melody. BTW there are some Cortot exercises which are great for this etude, they can help you fix accuracy.

Biggest challenge for me in this piece for me is building climax, because I'm impatient and like to play forte. And in this piece it's really easy to play forte, but not so easy to play piano.

I do it on purpose, don't know about you. So many times my third finger slipped on b flat key and it is so sad to finish this etude in C7. Really small hands are really disadvantage in this piece.

Yeah, I have a facsimile of the Cortot edition. However I'm a bit put off by just how many exercises there are. I'll take another look to see if there are any that might help me in particular. Thanks for the recommendation.

BTW, I think you build your paragraphs very nicely, avoiding the temptation to think from bar to bar. So you certainly have met that challenge.

The middle finger comment was just me being crudely humorous, though finishing on C7 would not be entirely un-Chopinesque (F major Prelude!).

I'm curious about your music background and current situation. Do you play in competitions? What are your plans for piano? I'd certainly like to hear more recordings from you!

SRF
SiFi #2473635 10/24/15 01:40 PM
D
D
You
Vevurka, this is wonderful. . . . I'll post something for comparison tomorrow.

Anyway, here you go. Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your post but you look like someone who doesn't mind sharing.

Thank you both for sharing videos on these etudes. Both lovely and well done.

debussychopin.
SiFi #2473683 10/24/15 04:22 PM
V
vevurka Offline OP
OP Offline
V
@debussychopin: thanks smile

@SiFi:
BTW, I think you build your paragraphs very nicely, avoiding the temptation to think from bar to bar. So you certainly have met that challenge.

Thanks, but still I think I'm too eager with middle section, which causes sound to be forced. It's not even matter of practicing it, but having enough mental strength to not allow myself to reach forte too soon.

I'm curious about your music background and current situation. Do you play in competitions? What are your plans for piano? I'd certainly like to hear more recordings from you!

I'm too old for competitions ;), but I did some when I was in high school then in college. Now I do everything I can to not teach piano - so I do a lot of comping, work on my solo repertoire and learn jazz piano. Recently I finished contract on a ship as a classical pianist and I'm not sure what next. Probably next contract, but I'm not looking forward to it, because it's a very hard job. Don't want to complain, but performing for 4 hours every day (+ practicing at night...) for a few months without any day off is quite exhausting.

vevurka #2473790 10/25/15 01:16 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think you sometimes loose the melody.

Hey - I'm not sure which melody you're referring to. There's what Czerny, in his School of Practical Composition would have called the "accidental" melody (bars 1-7 and elsewhere). Then there's the explicit melodic lines (bars 7-8 and the repeat). Then there's the part that I think you do better than almost anyone: I've heard: the organic notated contrapuntal lines in bars 16-20 and elsewhere. There's just so much going on in these sections and I love the way you handle them.

In this instance, however, I think you're talking about the "accidental" melody sections, in which case you are correct but it's deliberate on my part. IM me if you want to discuss more. I just wanted to set the record straight.

SRF
vevurka #2473875 10/25/15 10:40 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm too old for competitions ;), but I did some when I was in high school then in college. Now I do everything I can to not teach piano - so I do a lot of comping, work on my solo repertoire and learn jazz piano. Recently I finished contract on a ship as a classical pianist and I'm not sure what next. Probably next contract, but I'm not looking forward to it, because it's a very hard job. Don't want to complain, but performing for 4 hours every day (+ practicing at night...) for a few months without any day off is quite exhausting.

Your repertoire must be huge! But yeah, it does sound exhausting. I hope they pay well and that the passengers realize what a good deal they're getting with a pianist of your quality!. Ever get seasick?

I certainly understand your reluctance to teach. I taught piano full time for a year back when I was 21/22 - almost all kids - and it was just gruesome. But it doesn't have to be so bad. I had some private adult students when I lived in New York City; they really wanted to learn, so it could even be quite rewarding. But you need a lot of students to make it pay, so I had to have a day job as well.

I hope you find a musical niche that will be satisfying for you. smile Meanwhile, please share more of your wonderful playing with us!

SRF
vevurka #2474344 10/26/15 10:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So what do we all think of this version that I just discovered?

SRF
SiFi #2474346 10/26/15 10:40 PM
I
I
So what do we all think of this version that I just discovered?

Meh. I prefer her F minor Etude. Specially the climax.

Incongruous #2474353 10/26/15 11:04 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Incongruous
Meh. I prefer her F minor Etude. Specially the climax.

Now THAT'S one heck of a an effective technique !!! grin

Last edited by Carey; 10/26/15 11:17 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Carey #2474495 10/27/15 12:14 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
Now THAT'S one heck of a an effective technique !!! grin

O.M.G. wow

BTW, how do you guys get the videos to start where you want them (i.e. at the climax)? When I include #t=3m19s or whatever it always still starts at the beginning after I've posted it.

Last edited by SiFi; 10/27/15 12:23 PM. Reason: Add question

SRF
SiFi #2474499 10/27/15 12:27 PM
Online Content
how do you guys get the videos to start where you want them (i.e. at the climax)? When I include #t=3m19s or whatever it always still starts at the beginning after I've posted it.
Wondering about that myself !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Kawai ES110 Quality Control
by MusicMaster709 - 01/16/21 10:32 AM
Kawai ES920 Bug Report!
by Chummy - 01/16/21 09:36 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,292
Posts3,047,314
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission