2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 46 1 2 42 43 44 45 46
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
They're not together, but I suppose I need to make them even more not-together. (I've heard too many people play them too asynchronized, so I guess I over-compensated?)

I think it's over-compensated, yes. IMO it needs to be more than a "snap", it needs to be a full 16th note difference. Otherwise, it may be something you feel, but we'll never hear it.

-J

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Today, I pulled out Schnabel's edition of 31/1 and looked at an alternative redistribution for a tricky passage. I don't have the largest hands, so this passage is tricky for me. Do you all think I'll be okay using just one hand, or would I be better off cheating? I want to stick with just one hand and work hard to relax/avoid tension and stay even.

D
D
I think I had one of the best practices last night so far. One of those where you think "I can get somewhere if I continue this". And it was only a couple of hours.

debussychopin.
B
B
Originally Posted by debussychopin
Last night I am (not learning) dabbling in the middle section of etude 10-8 sunshine etude, and for the past few days have been using 123 5 or 234 5 432 1 , etc fingering (right hand) but not sure if this is correct. I was testing out 1 2 1 5 as well in some figurations but although easier at a slower tempo, i dont think that would work at the eventual suggested tempo?
How did you who played it finger that middle section?

I started learning this etude a couple days ago, and I'm learning the middle section now. I'm using the fingering in the Henle edition, which seems to work well with my hands. I'm not exactly sure which measures you are referring to, can you be more specific?

I picked this etude to complement op. 10 no. 1, which is now in the polishing stage (may be stuck in this stage forever lol). Learning op. 10 no.1 has vastly strengthened my right 4th and 5th fingers, and no. 8 seems to focus on the 4th finger a lot (which is why I chose it). The middle section is a bit stretchy but not bad at all compared to no. 1. The outer sections fit my hands well and I have to resist playing at full tempo and make great efforts to slow down.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
This week, I have dropped the Mozart sonata before I burned the score in frustration, and have added new repertoire which is not as lengthy. I was just at a point where I needed something finished so that I could get a sense of accomplishment.

Today worked on segments of several:
Malaguena
Piazzolla tangos: Oblivion and Libertango
Mozart: (Requiem mass transcriptions) Aeterum and Lachrymosa
Bach 943 second mvt

We'll see how this new plan works out. The positive thought is that my weekly lesson will now include multiple works in progress. I think this will deter me from chewing off my own hand in frustration. It's been a difficult summer so I'm working on a better fall.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Resurrecting Beethoven Op. 10 No. 3.

SRF
D
D
Originally Posted by deerfield
Originally Posted by debussychopin
Last night I am (not learning) dabbling in the middle section of etude 10-8 sunshine etude, and for the past few days have been using 123 5 or 234 5 432 1 , etc fingering (right hand) but not sure if this is correct. I was testing out 1 2 1 5 as well in some figurations but although easier at a slower tempo, i dont think that would work at the eventual suggested tempo?
How did you who played it finger that middle section?

I started learning this etude a couple days ago, and I'm learning the middle section now. I'm using the fingering in the Henle edition, which seems to work well with my hands. I'm not exactly sure which measures you are referring to, can you be more specific?

I picked this etude to complement op. 10 no. 1, which is now in the polishing stage (may be stuck in this stage forever lol). Learning op. 10 no.1 has vastly strengthened my right 4th and 5th fingers, and no. 8 seems to focus on the 4th finger a lot (which is why I chose it). The middle section is a bit stretchy but not bad at all compared to no. 1. The outer sections fit my hands well and I have to resist playing at full tempo and make great efforts to slow down.

Like around measures 47-57 where each figurations ascend in the right hand. I thought it would be perhaps 1215 but now after delineating it out w more practice , 123 5 and so forth seems fine and doable w some stretch at slow tempo.

Yes if you can do 10-1 you should definitely be able to perform 10-8 I wish you luck. 10-1 was definitely a train wreck for me but I looked at it last year I may take it up again soon.

debussychopin.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Brahms Intermezzo op. 116 no. 2 in A minor. Practiced yesterday, got closer to the phrasing and balance I liked, then went in for a lesson on it today and couldn't achieve any of what I wanted. Lesson was spent on how the phrasing & balance needed to be changed, and I left afterwards thinking how the lesson was wasted because I didn't tell my teacher that I knew already it was bad. Still struggling to get the piano to do what I hear in my head. Bleagh.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Yesterday I decided to really test my piano chops, so I just picked a hard page from near the end of Islamey and tried to learn it. Result: I can now play the page slowly and very messily. I impressed myself but I should still probably set it aside for a while.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yesterday I memorized Goldberg Variation #16, the French Overture variation. Such great, great great writing.

D
D
Practicing some of the old czerny studies I did last year. They're great.

debussychopin.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Arghhh
Brahms Intermezzo op. 116 no. 2 in A minor. Practiced yesterday, got closer to the phrasing and balance I liked, then went in for a lesson on it today and couldn't achieve any of what I wanted. Lesson was spent on how the phrasing & balance needed to be changed, and I left afterwards thinking how the lesson was wasted because I didn't tell my teacher that I knew already it was bad. Still struggling to get the piano to do what I hear in my head. Bleagh.

Ah, it took me a LONG time to get that one to sound how I wanted - I'm not kidding.. It probably took the most time out of all 7...... (LOVE that set, btw!)

Speaking of which, I should really start practicing that set again soon..

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

I had this problem in a different Brahms pieces, and the exact thing actually happened to me for a couple lessons... I then started recording myself a lot more, even with smaller segments/passages, and analyzing my own playing. That helped me some, maybe you could try?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I had this problem in a different Brahms pieces, and the exact thing actually happened to me for a couple lessons... I then started recording myself a lot more, even with smaller segments/passages, and analyzing my own playing. That helped me some, maybe you could try?

This helps me a lot too.

Sometimes I feel/think that I am playing it in a way that I hear in my head, only to find out when I record it that I didn't play anything like I thought!

It's been happening a lot with my work on Debussy's first Arabesque, I thought I've sped up a lot in the mosso sections but when I heard it, I've barely even noticeably sped up. Listening to myself really helps me with the flow of the piece and what I actually want.

S
S
I have been learning Mozart d minor concerto with Beethoven cadenzas.

I went with Urtext edition, with Christian Zacharias as editor. It's interesting because his fingering is rather unorthodox. The fingering is intentionally awkward so as to bring out the particular nuances of the instruments that the piano is mimicking in the orchestra. The opposite would be jeu pearle, where the fingering makes sense from a pianistic point of view and everything flows nicely. The benefit of Zacharias' fingering is that it makes more sense musically, but it is harder to play fast. Hopefully it will have been worth the effort.

Last edited by sirwormsalot; 10/30/15 04:56 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

Ah, it took me a LONG time to get that one to sound how I wanted - I'm not kidding.. It probably took the most time out of all 7...... (LOVE that set, btw!)

Speaking of which, I should really start practicing that set again soon..

I love the whole set too. If I can get this piece to come out ok, I think I'll be using it as one of my piano shopping test pieces.

It's amazing how much work just one measure can take. To get the crescendo and decrescendo in the first measure to work out right, without the second of the two repeated notes sound like it is going to the second beat without sounding accented, not letting the decay of the piano sound interfere with the continuation of the melodic line, not falling back into my bad habit of trying to play softer than the piano can, along with an expansive feeling... I *think* the key for me is more in the shaping of the LH triplets to support the melody, but I'm not positive yet.

I should really record myself again, so that I can analyze what happened after the fact instead of during the playing itself. I've done recordings during practicing before to make sure that I'm getting the sounds I think I'm getting, although this time I'm pretty sure I'm not achieving what I want anyways and the recording will just reinforce what I already know.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Hmmm...today I went through the Rachmaninoff Corelli Variations at a very slow pace; his op. 32 a minor prelude, too, and did some real practice on that section about half-way through where he writes one his more "stretchy" and odd fingerings in the left hand - I can do it, slowly, but it's taking a little while to get it to feel natural; Prokofiev's op. 12 Scherzo - every time I look at it I wonder how others finger the double-note stuff; Prokofiev's op. 32 Gavotte, just reading for fun; Bach A maj. and a min. P&F from WTC I; Bach a min. and G maj. duets; Moscheles' "Terpsichore" etude - with the metronome bumped up one notch from my previous speed, without major disaster - yay!!; and an etude each by Toch, Friedman, and Moszkowski (why is it I can never remember whether it's "sz" or "zs" in Moszkowski? I had to google it right now....again).

Mercy, I didn't realize I'd done all that until I typed it out!! It didn't seem like so much when I was doing it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wr - sounds like a great practice session , with a small theme of a minor.

Sz - just remember it goes in alphabetical order.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Today, I just started Chopin Etude Op. 10, No. 4.

Yikes.

Page 44 of 46 1 2 42 43 44 45 46

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission