2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

For me the Nord stage 2 EX could have been the one instrument that offers it all.. (And i am not alone as it has been the leading stagepiano in the salescharts of a major reseller in europe for ages)

Sure there are a few thing that could definately have been better, like not having a 2nd oscilator in the synth, or having physical drawbars/sliders, or the nice screen of the Electro 5, or being able to assign co troll elements to midi. But one can live witouth that

Yet there are 2 things i cant live with....
- the keyboard action, it lags Kawaii and Roland by miles..
- the fact that you cant have all those lovely piano sounds and samples available at the same time, and that you will be forced to continously keep uploading new sounds..

But yes, i love the sound of the fazioli..

So whats your opinion on the Nord stage 2?

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I think the Nord Stage 2 EX is just a stopgap board, to hold over until the NS3 comes out in a year or two. It's basically just a NS2 with extra memory and slightly different accent colors. It's supposed to be a flagship product but in many ways it's outclassed by the Nord Electro 5. And yet for what it is, it remains one of the best boards available, especially for live playing.

1) The action is really good. That's an opinion. many agree, many disagree. But one thing to keep in mind is that the NS2 is not Piano-centric. The Organ Engine and the Synth Engine are both accommodated. The Action is designed as a balance. I like playing organ much more on my NS2 than I do on my roland RD-800. The RD-800 has a vastly more authentic (compared to an acoustic piano) feeling action. It's great for playing piano, less great for playing organ. The NS2 takes a much more balanced approach. So it's not as great for piano stuff, but it's much better for organ/synth stuff. Again, this is opinion, but I think many would agree with me.

2) Buy practically any other board and you are stuck with the sounds installed at the factory. The fact that you can replace the sounds is amazing and one of the things that makes the Nord so versatile. Most, even high end, digital pianos have 3-4 different sample sets (if you're lucky) with different variations. Nord gives you many many different sample set with completely different characters to choose from. Yes in a perfect world you'd be able to hold all the ones they have and all the ones they add in the future all at once, but that's not realistic given current technology.

3) The ever growing sample library is Ginormous. smile. It gives you great (best in class) emulations of not only a B3, but a Vox continental and Farfisa organ as well. And a full synth engine with FM and wavetable based synthesis. You can run the samples through the synth engine to tweak them in amazing ways.

4) The board may look like an airplane cockpit, but for live playing it has incredibly powerful and useable controls. You can set the mod wheel to control half a dozen parameters simultaneously. Pretty much everything is directly controllable on the main panel (no going 6 layers deep in an LCD screen to find what you want).

Is it everyone's cup of tea? of course not. But there's a reason why you can see red keyboards at so many shows these days.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
E
E
It's very expensive

I preferred the keys on my Roland F20 to the nords - hahah who am I kidding - I could not afford any of the nords

I tried a Yamaha p155 and a cp40 in the same shop and the keys on both those felt better than the Roland but they did cost a bit more

I like the red colour of the nords - why don't other companies like Yamaha Roland kawai etc offer their keyboards in different colours and charge a little bit more ?

I would love a nice mint green keyboard - I see vintage vibe do a few different colours but they are mega expensive

Yes the fazioli on the nord sounds excellent

Sorry if I come across as a bit of a noob but not knowing anything about acoustic pianos all that matters to me is key touch sounds and looks and can I afford it

But the nords do look and sound great - maybe Roland Yamaha or kawai should bring out a new exclusive range of stage piano/keyboards in a nice striking colour and take away some customers from nord

What is your favourite colour ?

Kawai K15E
S
S
Originally Posted by fizikisto
one thing to keep in mind is that the NS2 is not Piano-centric. The Organ Engine and the Synth Engine are both accommodated. The Action is designed as a balance.

This. That version of the TP/40 is not even Fatar's most piano-like action, not to mention the various offerings from Roland, Kawai, et al., that do attempt to replicate the feel of an acoustic grand action.

Here's a thought: for the price of an NS2 EX, the OP could pick up an Electro 5D and a Kawai VPC1, which together would give him both an excellent piano action and access to the Nord piano libraries, plus the ability to play synth and organ parts on a semi-weighted, waterfall keyboard with drawbars.

Last edited by slowtraveler; 10/10/15 09:38 PM. Reason: added a thought...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
With Nord you pay for the simplicity of the user interface and the time and effort they've put into the sound engines, sample libraries, and just the right fx for these vintage sounds they themselves at Nord are obviously obsessed with. Although there are other developers that have done as good or better simulations, it's hard to find them all together on one keyboard and so dutifully laid out. You clearly aren't paying for processing power, or flash ram/storage or specs on the Nords. You're paying for the instrument, and in the case of the Stage 2 EX it's a great choice for certain gigs where you intend to carry one board.

The price in the US is awfully high. I think apples to oranges (or dollars to euros) it's priced more reasonably in the EU, even with VAT. Other than the price, I don't care for the action at all, I feel it's neither right for organ, synth, or piano playing but like Kurzweil or Korg, Yamaha or Roland workstation level do it all boards, you have to pick one. And those issues alone keep me away from it. If cost is an issue for you as well, but you really want one... second hand is always an option as newer models come out and the gear hounds sell their now old boards off.

Long time Nord fan here.

I agree that the piano action on the Stage 2 is substandard.

I have a Nord Piano 2, whose action doesn't make me whinge as much when I get into the heavy acoustic piano parts. It has other limitations (e.g. only one layer, etc.), but as a stage piano, I've sworn by it for many years. The piano action is good enough that it doesn't get in the way of what I'm trying to do. I can rock it all night long.

Also a fan of the Nord Electros with unweighted keys. Had a Nord Electro 2, then a 3, and currently the 4D. Just great for organs, and sample playing.

The Nord Stage 2 with the weighted keys is in sort of a no-mans land. It doesn't do piano as well as the Nord Piano 2, nor does it do organ/samples as well as the the Electro, thanks to weighted keys.

I end up using my Stage 2 in pop bands that require a wide variety of sounds, often in the same song. I can dial up total layered mayhem, save and recall easily, and tweak with abandon on stage. Weighted piano feel suffers a bit, but -- in context -- it's a reasonable tradeoff for that kind of music.

Most of us gigging types go with at least two boards: weighted, and unweighted. For the music I'm mostly playing today, the combination of a Nord Piano 2 below and a Nord Electro 4D above works well.

When I sit in with a pop/soul/dance band, it's the Stage 2.

At a broader level, no complaints with any Nord product I've owned over the years.

- Chuck

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Bachus
But yes, i love the sound of the fazioli..

I was crazy about that sound. Best piano sound in a hardware DP for me. I'd love to have just that one back (although I also liked Studio Grand 2).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I wish it came in black...

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Nord - "because I'm worth it"....or not, but others will think I am because it's red and over-priced.

E
E
Are the nord sounds available as a sound module or a vst ?

Andrewjcw - I saw a nord in black on eBay Australia a while back - the guy sanded it down and finished it in polished ebony - it looked very nice

Kawai K15E
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
There are two very different situations in which you might consider a Nord Stage (or an Electro 5):

- Live. I'd say for this situation and for many needs there is no downside at all. The sounds are excellent, the versatility is great, and the user interface is nothing short of brilliant. Even the action is a good and very playable compromise for the various types of instruments involved. Of course in some situations you will need more of a workstation, and in others you will need a more pianistic action, but then you'll know.

- In a studio or at home. Here, depending on your particular needs, other instruments may suit you more. If you are basically interested in piano playing you might indeed find the action lacking (but as pointed out above, not everyone does). Still, the sounds available from Clavia remain excellent, and the user interface remains brilliant. Slowtraveler's suggestion above to go for a VPC1 and a waterfall action Electro 5 rather than a Nord Stage would also be mine (as long as you don't need the synth capabilities of a Nord Stage).

I'm grateful Clavia keeps the market in check. This little company certainly raises the bar for other competitors, especially for instruments usable on stage.

For me personally Clavia resolves another (somewhat niche) problem like no other company does at the moment: The 73 key Electro 3/4/5HP and Nord Piano 2HP are the ONLY digital pianos available which offer excellent portability and high quality of sound at the same time. Expensive, but still....

PS. @Edb123: There is no sound module from Clavia for the time being. But you might in fact consider a 61 key Electro 5 as something of the kind, see above.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The 73 key Electro 3/4/5HP and Nord Piano 2HP are the ONLY digital pianos available which offer excellent portability and high quality of sound at the same time. Expensive, but still....

Kurzweil Forte 7 is now shipping, $3495
http://kurzweil.com/product/forte7/

Other alternatives to a new $4999 Nord Stage 2 EX worth looking at -
Kurzweil Forte 8 $3995
Korg Kronos 8 $3699
Motif XF 8 $3599 or Yamaha MOXF8 $1699

As for modules focused on the same classic keyboard sounds as the Nords,
GSi Instruments - not a household name yet, but I think this might be changing soon.
Genuine Soundware Gemini

Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
The 73 key Electro 3/4/5HP and Nord Piano 2HP are the ONLY digital pianos available which offer excellent portability and high quality of sound at the same time. Expensive, but still....

Kurzweil Forte 7 is now shipping, $3495
http://kurzweil.com/product/forte7/

Other alternatives to a new $4999 Nord Stage 2 EX worth looking at -
Kurzweil Forte 8 $3995
Korg Kronos 8 $3699
Motif XF 8 $3599 or Yamaha MOXF8 $1699

As for modules focused on the same classic keyboard sounds as the Nords,
GSi Instruments - not a household name yet, but I think this might be changing soon.
Genuine Soundware Gemini

As a direct competitor to the Nord Stage one also needs to add The Roland RD-800, it has a huge sound database, but also lots and lots of controll and to me it has a better keybed then all those listed...

When it however comes to all around sound, the Kronos beats the Nord Stage, yet it misses the awesome interface of the Nord stage with all the direct controll over the sound..

The Gsi is an awesome board... But its aimed at organs and only organs in my experience.. If they change that and concentrate on a braoder range of sounds, and add an option to have a weighted 73 key below... It might become a true contender for totall overall performing keyboard.. But currently the Nord stage has a lot more to offer then organ sounds..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you have a chance, take a closer look at what this Gemini plugin board for GSi's DMC-122 dual manual controller is offering.

Gemini Features:
2 independent DSP Processors (two instruments at a time)
15 Synthesis Engines
*VB3-II virtual tonewheel organ model - Hammond B3 type
*Combo Organ F model - Farfisa type
*Combo Oragan V model - Vox type
*String Machine - popular string keyboards of the 70s ARP Solina, the Logan String Melody and the SIEL Orchestra
*Pipe Organ - additive synth + modeling - Baroque style single manual, 9 stops, 3 couplers
*Orchestra Sample Playback Synthesizer
* Tines - Fender Rhodes type electric piano model, both the classic and dyno styles
* Reed - Wurlitzer 200A type electric piano model
* Electric Baby Grand - Yamaha CP-70 type model using modeling and sampled attack transients
* Clavi Electric Piano - Clavinet D6 type model
* PM Electric Piano - Yamaha DX7 type phase modulation synth
* MKS Electric Piano - Roland RD-1000 style EP sound using several synthesis methods
* Miles'tone - Modeled trumpet
* GVA-1 - VA subtractive synth with 2 syncable OSCs, 2 filters, feedback, 3 envelopes, etc. etc.
*GSP-01 Sample Player - using a proprietary sample format like Nord, they are working on building a library. This engine does offer "Physical Modeling Piano Harp Resonance Simulator" for their acoustic piano sounds.

11 effect generators
128 Presets
Custom MIDI map
Internal Wi-Fi antenna allows client connection for editor web-app
Balanced outputs
Output level selection
Headphone output
Wi-Fi password set and reset

I brought up the GSi in this thread because they intend to offer the DSP board that is the heart of the GSi Gemini in a rack and desktop option. Smart for them, since Nord doesn't currently offer either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some of these engines sound amazing. I personally prefer the VB3 organ over Nord's. The Rhodes model is lovely, as is the VA synth. The acoustic pianos not so much at the moment, but I think this will come along quickly as they commission some nice libraries to be done for the platform. The Gemini card is EUR 699,00 or $899.00 US. The DMC-122 controller is EU 1290,00 or $1499.00 US. That's a very serious dual manual organ with all sorts of other sound sets for $2798 US $3699 US for a organ exclusive Nord C2D. When the rack/module comes out, couple it with a Casio PX-5S or keyboard with action of your choosing. I wish these guys much luck. It has me watching them very closely.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi, add Kawai MP7 to this search, incredible gig machine with an action comparable to Roland RD800, or maybe better, but at a lower price (only $1800) and excellent combination of sounds and controller features.

Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Elmer, i have been reading up on the module after your first post, and in combination with keyboard it looks like something every organ/synth live player should seriously consider, espescially when you combine it with the fact that its also a great midi controller

It looks like Italy is really the place where hardware innovation combined with physical modelling is taking a flight. Not only GSI, but also Physis and others. It looks to me that the offspring of the General Music Drake engine is comming to life everywhere in Italy...

However the hardware is still to much organ oriented for my likings... However if they offer a duall 76 key version with a top knotch weighted lower keybed, then i am seriously interested...

Anyway, cant wayt to see where they take this next, what engines will they be developing in the future, or will they borrow things from other italian companies or maybe even lease their own technollogy to companies like viscount and Ketron..

Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fer De Armas
Hi, add Kawai MP7 to this search, incredible gig machine with an action comparable to Roland RD800, or maybe better, but at a lower price (only $1800) and excellent combination of sounds and controller features.

While you are right about it being a good gig machine, it really falls short on the synth engine side of things compared to the Roland and even more compared to the Nord stage..

Originally Posted by Bachus

- the keyboard action, it lags Kawaii and Roland by miles..
- the fact that you cant have all those lovely piano sounds and samples available at the same time, and that you will be forced to continously keep uploading new sounds..

Yes I agree 100%.

The action on this keyboard doesn't make sense to me.
But the way the samples sound make up a lot.
I would never buy it though, esp at that price point.
(Which again makes no sense, the keybed feels cheap)

A module version - not 19" but something like a Virus Ti desktop - that has all samples at all times available would be awesome and hard to resist.

Last edited by DeskDesign; 10/11/15 03:16 PM.
E
E

Kawai K15E
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Now thats uggly....Nords just need to be red...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission