2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jusca
Oh, this is interesting. I would join in although I'm not sure how this works.

You pick what you want to play, as long as it fits the theme (which is so broad it is enormous!).

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
J
J
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by Jusca
Oh, this is interesting. I would join in although I'm not sure how this works.

You pick what you want to play, as long as it fits the theme (which is so broad it is enormous!).

Sam

Thanks Sam!

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Bring us some Bee&Gees, Jusca! smile

Last edited by Albunea; 10/03/15 04:48 PM.
wj3 Offline
Ok I will work on something. Maybe I'll make it this time.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Some songs I am seeing by chance now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajp0Uaw4rqo = Can't help falling in love - UB 40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWIxA7M_-ZA = Baby I love your way - Big Mountain (didn't even know their name)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8Ss28zjcE = I want to break free - Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A = Girls just want to have fun - Cindy Lauper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw = Karma Chameleon - Culture Club

laugh laugh laugh

There are many very famous in the sign up thread now. smile

Last edited by Albunea; 10/03/15 06:09 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greener
Chances are, you'll know them when you hear them. Does this ring a bell for you ...

Funnily enough don't think I've ever heard that one. I could probably name and sing 20 Beatles song too so I'm not completely inept for someone of my generation.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I think I'll just pass this one, there's so much work to prepare these things and when I look at the sign up list I cannot think of anything that's fit to play on a piano... It could as well be named "The kind of music I don't like" -recital grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you don't like any music from the last 50 years then er... I'm not sure what to say.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
If you don't like any music from the last 50 years then er... I'm not sure what to say.

No, I did not say that. I like plenty of music from the last 50 years. I just cannot think of any popular music that I like and that could be played on a piano without losing it's essence.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh I can appreciate that then. Occasionally I'll find a cover of a rock song I liked growing up on youtube and get really excited, but most of the time my reaction when I listen is 'what's the point?'.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
I think I'll just pass this one, there's so much work to prepare these things and when I look at the sign up list I cannot think of anything that's fit to play on a piano... It could as well be named "The kind of music I don't like" -recital grin

To find something that's fit to play on the piano, just think of an artist who plays the piano:
Let it Be by the Beatles - piano
All those Elton John songs - piano
Piano Man by Billy Joel

Just off the top of my head - and I also have never really listened to pop music, but it's difficult to avoid...

And, I hate to bring this up, but even Einaudi would fit the theme. It's extremely popular in some circles and it certainly fits the time frame.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
"An affair to remember" is 1957 so should be ok... For me that's one of the most beautiful piano pieces, and one I'd like to be able to learn some day.

There are versions of "Moon River" (1961...right on time laugh ) for all piano levels.

Bossa Nova = La Garota de Ipanema (1962).

Last edited by Albunea; 10/04/15 06:18 AM.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

To find something that's fit to play on the piano, just think of an artist who plays the piano:
Let it Be by the Beatles - piano
All those Elton John songs - piano
Piano Man by Billy Joel

Just off the top of my head - and I also have never really listened to pop music, but it's difficult to avoid...

And, I hate to bring this up, but even Einaudi would fit the theme. It's extremely popular in some circles and it certainly fits the time frame.

Dare I even say how I feel about Einaudi... on this forum? laugh

My problem is that I never really could stand the typical pop/rock ballades, especially with piano accompaniment...

Soul, gospel or jazzy stuff is different but those really don't fit into the pop genre in my head. Besides take a way the singer and the combination of rhythm instruments and what's really left? I mean I love songs from people like Curtis Mayfield, but on a piano?
This just makes me mad
link
(my apologies to the pianist)

Something like this might work, but would require me to learn all the fancy stuff on my digital:
link2

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
I think I'll just pass this one, there's so much work to prepare these things ...

I hope you reconsider this. I think it would be worth the effort.
... I just cannot think of any popular music that I like and that could be played on a piano without losing it's essence.

I was having similar issue too. Trying to think of something new that I've never done on Piano before, that fits the genre and that I would really like to take on. I was drawing a blank. Then I thought of all the tunes I grew up with and some I was shown. I don't prefer recycling, but I had lots like these from 40 plus years ago, so almost like starting anew. I chose one this way, but it opened possibility for many more.

Burt Bacharach, Elton John, Billie Joel, U2, Supertramp, Genesis and many other groups and Piano centric artists provide plenty of quality material. There will be no shortage to choose from and a lot of piano gold in this genre. There will be more to come as well. Plus, of course there is opportunity to sing if this interests you. You don't get this with classical music often. In the mainstream there is a lot of draw for this genre. I'd hate to miss out on it entirely.

... even Einaudi would fit the theme. It's extremely popular in some circles and it certainly fits the time frame.

Terrific. Hello my friend Carlos. Did you hear that Carlos? Can you make it for June?

----------

Georgia and several like this will easily fit this genre. They were indeed also POP tunes in our generation. Dream a Little Dream of Me, was reproduced and released by the Momas & Papas in 1968. Now, we have Sting and Rod Stewart recycling many more old standards. There will be some overlap.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Sting is doing old standards now? I have to search that! smile I have a CD of Rod Stewart's old standards and love it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Robbie Williams did some standards too. He has the style for this. Rihanna next? She has the voice . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Another one with lots of old standards: Michael Bublè.

The problem is to find good piano arrangements, but there are some.

D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
If we're going to allow material from the pre-60s GAS on the basis that these songs have been re-recorded by a new clutch of post-60s artists - and they have, frequently - I fear the recital will lose its identity. Post 60s pop produced a sea-change in style in so many ways. It would be a pity to brush that to one side.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I think people were just trying to help outo find something even if the whole 20th century needed to be included, dire tonic. laugh

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Wrong thread. smile

Last edited by Albunea; 10/04/15 11:50 AM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission