2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
At times this comes across as a very mannered, eccentric, distorted performance. The opening tempo is less than MM=40 bpm whereas Chopin marks it as Andante at MM=69. This comes across, initially, as ponderous and lugubrious.

At around measure 16, the tempo suddenly increases to about MM=63 bpm. While the rest of the Nocturne remains more or less at this tempo, there are sudden changes in tempo from time to time that are hard to understand from a musical point of view: viz. measures 41 and 51.

The sudden crescendo in the left hand at measure 8 seems to have no justification musically since Chopin in measure 7, indicates dim. Similarly at measure 29.

This is very early Chopin (1827). It should be kept simple and lyrical; playing it this way just to be different (so it seems) makes little sense to me.

As I've mentioned before, this Steinway is not one of their better instruments.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
OP Offline
S
You think I was not aware of all the things you said above! I played this piece hundreds of times and have over 10 versions how to play it. Everything I did is my intention and I played that way after I put a lot of thinking into it. But at the same time, I am not at all surprised that my musical intention is difficult for ordinary people to understand. I love the Steinway I played on, it's exceptional for recording.

I
I
I think it is just too over the top, far too slow, it doesn't flow and it feels very vertical (note by note). I think it's a bit too self-indulgent. You don't do many of the things which are written on the score.

But hey that's just my opinion.

S
OP Offline
S
Everything said by you guys is by no means a surprise to me. I have anticipated them all. I have said everything I want to say and there will be nothing to add. Different level of musicality will lead to different opinion. I completely understand and respect that.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Samuel Puan
I am not at all surprised that my musical intention is difficult for ordinary people to understand.

Maybe if you elucidated what your musical intention actually is that would help. Certainly more than implying that you're beyond ordinary people's grasp.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
S
OP Offline
S
My video is there and I stand behind every note I played. If people get it, they get it. If not, I am not here to write meaningless paragraphs to debate with them. My musicality just speaks for itself through my playing. There are many many people(not only here but everywhere)who love to write meaningless paragraphs to critique others' playing(both positive and negative). But to me very honestly, they are like 'babies who can only be fed with milk but not solid food'. Fou Tsong once said it's not until he's 60 years old that he began to understand music just a little bit. And these so-called 'music critics' pretend that they know everything and many of them can't even play the piano at all. They surely can keep on writing, it's absolutely their rights. All I can say is I beseech them not to waste time writing those meaningless words, instead to sit at the piano 5 hours a day to explore and experiment. That will be much more helpful with their musicality.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Well you surely don't seem anywhere close to 60 years old. smile

ASB Piano Service
S
OP Offline
S
Unfortunately you don't seem to get my meaning. I am not responding any more.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Oh I get your meaning. It was just a little attempt at humor.

ASB Piano Service
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
Are you looking for feedback? criticism? or just views?

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Cheeto717
Are you looking for feedback? criticism? or just views?

He has made it clear, with varied recordings, he does not want comments on his interpretations. His musical intention 'is just too difficult for ordinary people to understand'.

T
T
The problem with communicating musical ideas is that they are very personal to each person. One can talk about following the score, or one can talk about their own interpretation outside of the score. Play it in whatever manner pleases yourself, or follow the score as closely as possible... or do anything that makes you happy because in the end there really is no right way.

There is a big difference between knowing something and being good at executing. One is conscious, the other is subconscious, and the path to the subconscious does not usually lead through the conscious.
I
I
Originally Posted by TwelfthRoot2
The problem with communicating musical ideas is that they are very personal to each person. One can talk about following the score, or one can talk about their own interpretation outside of the score. Play it in whatever manner pleases yourself, or follow the score as closely as possible... or do anything that makes you happy because in the end there really is no right way.

If you don't want to follow the score and if you only want to play it the way you feel it, then don't call it Chopin!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission