2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (AJB, BMKE, Animisha, B3boy, 36251, brennbaer, 14 invisible), 736 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello friends!
I am needing some advice. I have a church with one of those 1960's era Story & Clark pianos, you know "The Only Piano Specifically Designed for Churches." laugh I have about five of these that I service. ALL of them have problems with the bass pins being loose. In fact some of them are so loose that I can let my lever go, and the pin turns back down, lever and all! On this particular piano, At the last tuning, I treated pins with CA glue hoping that would help. I did the whole tilting the piano and saturating the pins with as much glue as they would take. It seemed to help the tuning last a little longer, however today, some of the pins were doing the exact same thing. I am considering repinning the bass section. The bass strings still sound good, so I'm wondering if keeping them and just going up a size in tuning pins might work. I know new bass strings would be best, however I don't think it is going to be in the budget. Several of the the pins have already been hammered in by a previous tech to the point where many of the coils are touching the plate. Just needing some direction. Thanks for your help!

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Keeping in mind that this piano is about 50 years old, I would recommend that they replace it.

Semipro Tech
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Larger pins are a fine economical choice. Be careful removing the strings; the coils can break.

Caveat: Mark the loose pins. Do not replace with larger pins if the loose pins are in a line. That means a pin block crack. Larger pins will just open up the crack more.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 09/23/15 09:38 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As Mark C indicated, assuming the pinblock is not cracked...

You could also try:

Sandpaper shims

Max's cardboard shims

These would be even less expensive than replacing the tuning pins.

These may not be permanent, of course. But, they may be useful as a diagnostic tool. If neither of these helps, then there is a bigger problem.. probably with the pinblock.

I am very concerned that the CA repair did not last very long on either piano.

Are the bass pins that do hold jumpy? Before applying the CA glue, did you observe any sort of discoloration on the plate near the bass tuning pins?

I am wondering if the pinblock itself might be contaminated with something.

Maybe someone with a can of WD-40 who sprayed the nut thinking it would help the strings render easier? Then, the over-spray got to the pinblock.

It's also possible that someone may have been a bit overzealous about cleaning the piano. I've seen customers open the lid of a vertical piano and then apply a very generous amount of furniture oil to the top of the pinblock/core in order to clean it (before I could stop them). Not only can the oil wick into the wood if the top of the pinblock is exposed, but the oil can run between the pinblock and the plate.

This seems possible to me. The bass pins will be closer to the top than most of the tenor/treble pins. So, furniture oil can reach these pins more easily.

I think the key is whether or not the other pins in the area are jumpy.

This is only speculation, of course.

Could there be some sort of ongoing external problem, such as the sun beating down on the back of the piano on the bass end? Or, maybe the piano has a heat source behind it or beside it, such as a heating duct or steam radiator?

Edit: Do you see any finish damage on the bass side of the piano, or on the back of the piano? Is it a "striped" piano?

Last edited by daniokeeper; 09/24/15 03:29 AM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I'll echo BDB - a fifty year old piano in an institutional setting is due for replacement. In fact, the ideal replacement age for a cheaper institutional upright would be 30 years old or so, though that's asking a bit much for some schools or churches.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the advice everyone. On another forum to which I belong a couple techs who have experience with this exact model said that the CA glue was not effective the first time, but after a second application worked great. I think that is the way I'm going to head right now. Apparently it's just a problem with this model of piano. Like is said above I service about 5 of these pianos at different churches in the area and they all seem to have the same problem. The piano is not in the main sanctuary of the church, but in a smaller chapel. I think it was probably in the sanctuary years ago and when the pins became loose they replaced it with a digital piano and moved it to the smaller chapel. It's only used occasionally. The treble pins still are in good shape, so I can't in good conscience just condemn the piano and tell them to buy a new one. To me, a 50 year old piano is not that old. Maybe I just service a lot of really old pianos in my area. :-)

Thanks again for your replies. I really appreciate it!

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,431
Posts3,216,947
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission