2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, busa, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 101 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 100 101
M
M
Hi Brian,

I agree with Andrew that YouTube is probably best and I think you don't need to always share with everyone but can select.

Otherwise I have seen people on this website sharing using the online storage site named box.net which gives you quite a bit of storage for free.

There is also SoundCloud where you can upload and then put links to that. This site and YouTube would be the best options I think.

I would also like to share my pieces but I can't figure out how to get the music saved from my keyboard which has a usb port to my ipad or android device. Does anyone know how to do that. I also have two headphone ports.

Regarding the 2nd edition books. I was playing two songs in the first unit of Level 3A called Mockingbird and Carnival of Venice. Both these sounds have similar versions in the 2nd edition but they seemed to have been simplified considerably. I can only theorize that besides re-arranging the units they have also simplified or completely removed and replaced songs that were a bit more burdensome. Is that anyone else's experience.

Regards

Mario

Last edited by Mario2015; 09/06/15 09:03 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
There is a gentleman named Alan Chan on YouTube that has recorded a good number of the Faber pieces. We use these along with recordings from his teacher. We use his teacher's first - but sometimes we don't have them and Alan Chan is usually a good back up.

Brian- If you are willing, I think it would be great if you recorded your pieces on YouTube- particularly "missing" pieces. Finally, do you have the classics 3A 3B book by Faber? My son has learned a few pieces from that book and those pieces sound lovely.

Yamaha G2
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mario2015
Regarding the 2nd edition books. I was playing two songs in the first unit of Level 3A called Mockingbird and Carnival of Venice. Both these sounds have similar versions in the 2nd edition but they seemed to have been simplified considerably. I can only theorize that besides re-arranging the units they have also simplified or completely removed and replaced songs that were a bit more burdensome. Is that anyone else's experience?

Hi Mario;

That does seem to be one of the differences between the two editions. My wife is currently learning "Yellowbird" which seems like a simpler re-arrangement of "Mockingbird". I did not realize that Carnival of Venice had also been simplified.

The same thing happened in Level 3B, where two pieces were slightly re-written and simplified. However, Level 3B was also re-organized as far as changing and adding units. That did not happen in Level 3A.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
OK folks, I tried to upload my recording of "Mockingbird" from the first edition of level 3A.

Please let me know if you can get to this link:

Mockingbird

Last edited by BrianDX; 09/07/15 12:16 PM.

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I think it is wonderful that you posted your work to share with other learners as there really aren't many Youtube videos of Faber method book pieces. Hope you continue. That's very nice of you.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 09/07/15 06:41 PM.

Yamaha G2
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by raubucho

I had a disappointment today.

I have some basic method books and have read here sometimes the threads of other method books I don't know, and there are many titles shared among them all. In one of my books, a song is titled Pajarillo (Little Bird), and when I played it I realized it was something like Love me Tender, famous by Elvis Presley. laugh So it seems many piano books share the same songs with different arrangements. You can get an idea of how the song sounds with any of the versions, but for accuracy you want to find exactly your method pieces on YouTube. Maybe that edition is not yet, but probably it will be soon.

Last edited by Albunea; 09/07/15 06:59 PM.
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006
... do you have the classics 3A 3B book by Faber? My son has learned a few pieces from that book and those pieces sound lovely.

Hi pianoMom2006;

I'm not quite sure what "classics" book you are referring to. Are you referring to "Popular Repertoire" book in 3A?

Thanks,
Brian

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I think it is wonderful that you posted your work to share with other learners as there really aren't many Youtube videos of Faber method book pieces. Hope you continue. That's very nice of you.

You are welcome. Here is a list of what I recorded in 3A between 6-10 months ago:

- Campbells are Coming
- Carnival of Venice
- Cossack Ride
- Great Wall of China
- Land of the Silver Birch
- Persian Market
- Sakura
- Song of Kilimanjaro
- Tropical Fish
- Lunar Eclipse (duet with my teacher)

It takes me about 15 minutes or so to build a project and then upload it to Youtube. Some these pieces already exist there posted by Alan Chan or Christopher Brent.

Thought I'd share my list of YouTube resources for figuring out how to play Faber tunes. If one doesn't have it, another usually does. They also tend to differ in camera angle and play style, so it's sometimes nice to see more than one.

Tiny Mozarts (Beth_Frances on this forum) has a lot of nice videos (sometimes a bit easier to find using her website).

Rhapsody Piano Studio has lots of good videos on the supplimental (Pretime to Bigtime) books.

Christopher Brent doesn't have any playlists set up so you'll have to do a bit of searching to find what you need.

Alan Chan

Last edited by TrevorM; 09/08/15 05:00 AM.

Roland F130-R
Originally Posted by BrianDX
... do you have the classics 3A 3B book by Faber? My son has learned a few pieces from that book and those pieces sound lovely.

I'm not quite sure what "classics" book you are referring to. Are you referring to "Popular Repertoire" book in 3A?

Possibly this one? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbepoJVSPd57CAOCeNDgZUwN0GF--hxSx

Roland F130-R
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Trevor- Thank you for the tip on Rhapsody Studios. BrianDx this appears to be the book my son is learning to play pieces from.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 09/08/15 09:14 AM.

Yamaha G2
J
J
Hi!

Just new to this place. Adult Beginner of about 7 weeks. About 1/3rd through Book 1 of Accelerated Piano adventures for Older Beginner. Nice to follow what others are doing.

John

M
M
Thanks Trevor for posting the resources.

Thanks Brian for sharing.

I was investigating how to get tunes off my Yamaha digital piano and stumbled upon this wonderful app by Yamaha called PianoDiary http://usa.yamaha.com/products/apps/pianodiary/

You don't have to have a Yamaha piano, just a midi usb output port.

Unfortunately there only seems to be the iphone/Ipad version of it and no Android. Lucky I had an old iPad that was collecting dust, and so after a bit of dusting I connected it to my piano which has a midi usb output using the Apple Camera connection kit. PianoDiary allow you to record your tunes or rather record midi (which is basically meta information about the tune) and presents it in a beautiful diary/calendar form. The software also plays the Midi files. The wonderful things about storing in midi format is that not only is the files are very small (a few kilobits) but also the software allow you to change the voice and do other snazzy things like put some reverb and chorus. Best of all it allows you to immediately upload to YouTube.

Here is links to the three songs I uploaded to YouTube from 3A Unit 1.
I changed the voice to MusicBox because it sounded nicer to me but if you want I can also upload in Grand Piano.

Carnival of Venice: https://youtu.be/lnIZdc4Uomc
Sakura: https://youtu.be/3xf8APiIX6M
Looking Glass River: https://youtu.be/z4p5TShkeLQ

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John BC
Hi!

Just new to this place. Adult Beginner of about 7 weeks. About 1/3rd through Book 1 of Accelerated Piano adventures for Older Beginner. Nice to follow what others are doing.

John

Welcome John BC to our little group! smile

Keep us informed as to what you are currently playing in the book; a lot of us have been through those pieces as well.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mario2015
Thanks Trevor for posting the resources.

Thanks Brian for sharing.

I was investigating how to get tunes off my Yamaha digital piano and stumbled upon this wonderful app by Yamaha called PianoDiary http://usa.yamaha.com/products/apps/pianodiary/

You don't have to have a Yamaha piano, just a midi usb output port.

Unfortunately there only seems to be the iphone/Ipad version of it and no Android. Lucky I had an old iPad that was collecting dust, and so after a bit of dusting I connected it to my piano which has a midi usb output using the Apple Camera connection kit. PianoDiary allow you to record your tunes or rather record midi (which is basically meta information about the tune) and presents it in a beautiful diary/calendar form. The software also plays the Midi files. The wonderful things about storing in midi format is that not only is the files are very small (a few kilobits) but also the software allow you to change the voice and do other snazzy things like put some reverb and chorus. Best of all it allows you to immediately upload to YouTube.

Here is links to the three songs I uploaded to YouTube from 3A Unit 1.
I changed the voice to MusicBox because it sounded nicer to me but if you want I can also upload in Grand Piano.

Carnival of Venice: https://youtu.be/lnIZdc4Uomc
Sakura: https://youtu.be/3xf8APiIX6M
Looking Glass River: https://youtu.be/z4p5TShkeLQ

Nice job Mario! I definitely would like to hear your pieces in Grand Piano mode as well.

Here is a version of Carnival of Venice that I recorded a while ago. It has some pedaling in it, as well as an attempt for sharp staccatos in the left hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXTd9uOmm8&feature=youtu.be

M
M
Nice playing Brian.

Gosh I don't think I can manage that speed.

Somehow with the MusicBox voice the peddling in the beginning does not show much.

I'll upload the Grandpiano versions of these songs.

One more! This Youtube channel is also useful because he breaks down the tunes a bit in his videos. You have to search, though, because they're not organised into playlists.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperMANgino/search?query=piano+adventures

Roland F130-R
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Totally forgot about SuperMANgino! He has recorded a large number of videos for the Accelerated books Levels 1 and 2. Plus, he spends a lot of time breaking down the structures of the pieces.

As I moved into Level 3A and 3B his videos diminished in frequency; that's why I now use Mr. Brent and Mr. Chan.

My guess is however, after a few months the new pieces in the second edition versions of 3A and 3B will begin to show up.

As I have stated before I think, I'm lucky in that my teacher is always willing to let me record her playing my newly assigned pieces.

J
J
Thanks!

Just finished the Gypsy Band in the Lesson Book and working on the Staccato in the Technique and Artistry Book. Lesson today to see what is next.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BrianDX
Originally Posted by raubucho
I short while ago, I checked out the Faber & Faber Developing Artist series that BrianDX is using, but was disappointed to find that the series begins at level 2, which is a bit too advanced for me right now. I'll get to them, eventually.

Hi Ralph.

Faber does publish level 1 and "preparatory" books in this series as well. If you have problems finding then PM me.

BrianDX: Thanks for the heads-up about the Level 1 Developing Artist book. After reading your post, I went to the Faber website and found it listed there. I think I had dismissed it early on, as the link to the book preview doesn't work, and, I was unsuccessful finding it on two occasions looking for it at the local music stores. So, I kind of forgot about it, which gradually grew into me thinking it did not exist.

Thanks to your post, however, I decided to take another look. I had to go to the music store, anyway, as the Marlais Festival Collection I purchased a couple of days ago had a defective CD. When I got to the store, their only other copy of Marlais also had a defective CD. So, I searched to see if there were any other books of interest that I could exchange for, and, I then found the Level 1 Developing Artist book you told me about.

I got it home and played the CD while reading the scores. It is a wonderful collection. Of the 22 selections, there are 18 that I like so much I must play them. That's a high percentage for me, as, I usually only want to devote effort to about 40-50% of the offerings in these type of collections (These books often times span the centuries from Baroque through Modern, and, I rarely like the modern). This volume only has a couple of throw-away, modern pieces. I'm really happy with the purchase. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post and setting me on course to find it.

Piano Class Update: My scales for piano class are coming along pretty well. C is a breeze, both up and down, either hand. G is also pretty easy, now. D still gives me some problems. For some reason, I stumble coming down the D scale with my right hand. From Treble D, with my pinkie, I flow downward to my thumb on G, then mess up bringing my middle finger over the thumb and onto F#. I think my hand, at that point, obscures my view of F and F#, and that causes me to stumble. At this stage, I am heavily reliant on visual, instantaneous feedback, and the sudden disappearance of those keys behind my hand throws me off.

One thing I have not yet given a chance is slowing down enough that I don't need the visual. I suspect I'll commit the sequence to memory when I do. I'm still stuck in "stupid" mode. crazy But, I'll get it soon.

The teacher seems ok with us proceeding at our own pace. That should work well for me since I already have much of the material in the first half of Afreds AIO covered.

Brian and Mario: Nice job on the music you posted. I too, would like to hear yours in Grand Piano, Mario. I hope to record and post some of the lower level Faber materials. Even though they won't be much help to our current group (most of whom are ahead of me), they might prove helpful to newcomers who come along. Plus, any feedback stimulated is always appreciated.

I need to spend a little time investigating Soundcloud and Box. They seem to be the file hosting sites most favored by the contributors to the recent ABF recital 39.

John BC: Welcome to our group. I hope your piano adventure is very rewarding. PianoWorld is great. There are a lot of very helpful members who devote considerable attention to questions and concerns you might post. This place is amazing.

BTW, you are working out of Book 1 of Accelerated Piano adventures for Older Beginner (emphasis mine), and, you have "BC" in your moniker. Just how old are you?!?!?!?! grin

You don't have to answer that, I just couldn't help myself. laugh

Anyhow, happy playing (couldn't think up a new verb) everyone.

Last edited by raubucho; 09/09/15 11:50 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Page 17 of 101 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 100 101

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission